Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Mange Mite posted:

A neurotic actor what a surprise

I haven't seen Social Network, but he comes across as annoying in pretty much everything else I've seen.

Which makes him a perfect casting choice for Social Network, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tegan and sara
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i enjoyed him in adventure land

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I thought he was one of the few fun things about BvS. At least now it makes sense that he'd team up with idiots like Joker since he's legit insane.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I found these Nendoroid figures of Harley and Joker, they've got more life in them then a funko vinyl.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOGDS-205530
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOGDS-205529

Doesn't baby Leto look so cute?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Junior Jr. posted:

I found these Nendoroid figures of Harley and Joker, they've got more life in them then a funko vinyl.

Doesn't baby Leto look so cute?

I would make that face too if I had a pole shoved in my poop hole.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Aw yeah a ladypal's evening frees up for some gettin' together...

No no no nooooooo.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
I saw some people go to watch suicide squad dressed up like the characters. I have never seen so many sad sacks of poo poo. I went to the force awakens premier if that gives it a little perspective.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

This made me laugh a bunch.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Triggered posted:

I saw some people go to watch suicide squad dressed up like the characters. I have never seen so many sad sacks of poo poo. I went to the force awakens premier if that gives it a little perspective.

I once went to a screening of the first episode of the eight series of the modern doctor who show, saw some guys dressed up as characters from the old show just for an hour and a half of boring sci-fi poo poo. I know how you feel.

I wonder how come that show isn't dead yet.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It makes one or two episodes a season that justify the bullshit. The rest are easy to mock and sad people will find a way to love them.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

My friend and I turned off BvS last night after 20 minutes when it became apparent that nothing would happen til the end of the movie. Thank god for the redbox.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

sharknado slashfic posted:

My friend and I turned off BvS last night after 20 minutes when it became apparent that nothing would happen til the end of the movie. Thank god for the redbox.

nothing happened at the end of the movie either.

superman died but then they immediately said "he's not dead!" to keep their worthless franchise and company alive

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Bro Dad posted:

nothing happened at the end of the movie either.

superman died but then they immediately said "he's not dead!" to keep their worthless franchise and company alive

we already knew that because they teased the justice league movie, no surprise there.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well plus they used Doomsday whose only characteristic of note was killing Superman, and because writers are stupid and lazy they like to do Jesus stories and get the benefit of saying "see we did Death and Return of Superman love us fucksticks."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well on the other hand he's literally the OG Jewish messiah of comic books but yeah it'd be nice if it was done better.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He's far more a "persecuted nerd" fantasy of two dudes wondering what it would look like if the John Carter dynamic was reversed and a super-strong dude would come to our planet and kick assholes around. A lot of the "last son of Krypton sent to our world to save it from ourselves on a grand scale" stuff was added way later.

All that "Jewish writers messiah" poo poo is projected pretension to make the whole thing seem intellectually deep in an "acceptable" academic sense, because the actual depth is rather pulpy and simple.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Is Suicide Squad still bad 600 posts later or nah?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

He's far more a "persecuted nerd" fantasy of two dudes wondering what it would look like if the John Carter dynamic was reversed and a super-strong dude would come to our planet and kick assholes around. A lot of the "last son of Krypton sent to our world to save it from ourselves on a grand scale" stuff was added way later.

All that "Jewish writers messiah" poo poo is projected pretension to make the whole thing seem intellectually deep in an "acceptable" academic sense, because the actual depth is rather pulpy and simple.

Let's not forget that D.C. screwed Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster for almost forty decades before giving them credit as well as them received a pittance of what Superman actually earned. And they've continue to screw them over by loving around with their estates.

Johntalouette
Oct 30, 2013
How did DC get this incompetent? I know Marvel ran into money trouble and had to sell off bit and pieces of their catalogue, which set them back until quite recently, but DC just seems to fumble for no reason that I can see.

naem
May 29, 2011

Johntalouette posted:

How did DC get this incompetent? I know Marvel ran into money trouble and had to sell off bit and pieces of their catalogue, which set them back until quite recently, but DC just seems to fumble for no reason that I can see.

Marvel seems to like their own characters, and have hired people that understand movies need to be "fun and good"

Whereas DC stinks and their butt stinks and they like to kiss their own butt

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You can draw a parallel between how Marvel and DC approach their shared universes:

While Marvel was originally Timely comics and absorbed a few companies, it was that ridiculously fertile period in the early 60s that set the tone for a good 75% of what Marvel was going to be from then on. Because all these characters and worlds were created so close together they were able to crossover without too much whiplash, and if you plotted them out would look like a complex Venn Diagram-- the Mutant circle, the New York circle, the Avengers circle, the Asgard circle, the Cosmic circle, and so on and so on where no matter what book you go into odds are you're going to find overlap with another book.

DC on the other hand was a Frankenstein's monster of smaller companies that DC would integrate into their shared universe, usually by saying something like "and on Earth-C you can find Captain Carrot; Earth-X is 'our' world; Earth-2 has original 1930s Superman" and so on. Their shared universe would look more like a series of bubbles with lines between them. There's crossover but generally each bubble is its own little world-- Metropolis, Gotham, Atlantis, and so on. To try and combat this problem DC tried merging all the earths, then de-merging them, then starting over, and starting over again, and probably again in two years once sales dip. They're just a big shambling mound of creative tumors fighting amongst each other for direction and dominance.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Don't tell me this, I like to believe the Superman Is The Jewish Messiah thing :smith:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Don't tell me this, I like to believe the Superman Is The Jewish Messiah thing :smith:

I didn't mean to be a dick. I even thought that after I wrote my post. I am sorry. I do think what you see is there, I just don't think it was baked in from the start and was more of a growth over the years. Very early Superman really does read like the equivalent of sophisticated fan-fiction if you know who John Carter is.

I get tetchy because I get so sick of writers taking a shortcut and writing in Christ/Moses parallels for superhero characters. They did it in The Matrix, Spider-Man 2, Superman Returns, and now Man of Steel/BvS and every time I roll my eyes. These heroic characters do sacrifice themselves for a greater good, yes, and that is Christ-like, but they are also fundamentally modern archetypes that could only exist to reflect 20th Century paradigms. The storytelling shouldn't fall back on 2-3000 year-old desert mythology to carry the climax and I will never not think of it as lazy and uninspired.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sure, I agree it was a lot simpler in his earliest appearances, but even then he's refugee from a wrecked homeland dropped into a new country full of less-moral strangers who are genetically inferior to him :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

maybe I've said too much oops

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oy vey

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Johntalouette posted:

Marvel/Disney has Kevin Feige to guide all the movies and he has a vision and a direction to everything. DC doesnt have a guy like that they just copy what Marvel does.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They're trying to make Geoff Johns that guy which could go either way.

On the one hand he is a good writer and knows DC well. On the other he's a total fanboy who literally bent the DC Universe to his will so it looked more like it did when he was a kid.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

mind the walrus posted:

You can draw a parallel between how Marvel and DC approach their shared universes:

While Marvel was originally Timely comics and absorbed a few companies, it was that ridiculously fertile period in the early 60s that set the tone for a good 75% of what Marvel was going to be from then on. Because all these characters and worlds were created so close together they were able to crossover without too much whiplash, and if you plotted them out would look like a complex Venn Diagram-- the Mutant circle, the New York circle, the Avengers circle, the Asgard circle, the Cosmic circle, and so on and so on where no matter what book you go into odds are you're going to find overlap with another book.

DC on the other hand was a Frankenstein's monster of smaller companies that DC would integrate into their shared universe, usually by saying something like "and on Earth-C you can find Captain Carrot; Earth-X is 'our' world; Earth-2 has original 1930s Superman" and so on. Their shared universe would look more like a series of bubbles with lines between them. There's crossover but generally each bubble is its own little world-- Metropolis, Gotham, Atlantis, and so on. To try and combat this problem DC tried merging all the earths, then de-merging them, then starting over, and starting over again, and probably again in two years once sales dip. They're just a big shambling mound of creative tumors fighting amongst each other for direction and dominance.
If you are talking about the actual comic books, I think it would be tough to decide whether the universe of Marvel or the universe of DC is more insane, bloated and stupid. Both of them are chock full of aliens, clones, time travel, alternate realities, devils, definitive proof of the afterlife, physical laws and concepts represented as goofs in spandex, and characters who die but are never allowed to stay dead under any circumstances. If a writer wants to do something a bit more serious or intimate like the Nolan or even Burton Batman films, they kind of have to bubble them off from the rest of the wackiness.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm talking about tonal shifts between characters and their "worlds", not the byzantine amounts of "Lore" that no one in their right mind should try to make sense of.

-------------------------

At Marvel you can have a Thor story where X-Men and New York Vigilante stuff just shows up or any combination thereof and the tones mostly blend because the universe is more cohesive as a whole. You feel like any one of them could go into the other's "world" and it would be a mostly seamless transition. It's like a shared house where people just go from one room to another, with common rooms and private rooms and so on.

At DC you can have Batman show up in a Wonder Woman story, or Wonder Woman show up in a Batman story, but that would be two entirely different types of stories. For the most part the universe just doesn't "blend," it's like a bunch of houses on a block where neighbors sometimes go over to hang out, but each house is distinct and separate from the others.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 5, 2016

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How many spider man origin movies have their been?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Im tho Thor I can hardly pith

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

mind the walrus posted:

I'm talking about tonal shifts between characters and their "worlds", not the byzantine amounts of "Lore" that no one in their right mind should try to make sense of.

-------------------------

At Marvel you can have a Thor story where X-Men and New York Vigilante stuff just shows up or any combination thereof and the tones mostly blend because the universe is more cohesive as a whole. You feel like any one of them could go into the other's "world" and it would be a mostly seamless transition. It's like a shared house where people just go from one room to another, with common rooms and private rooms and so on.

At DC you can have Batman show up in a Wonder Woman story, or Wonder Woman show up in a Batman story, but that would be two entirely different types of stories. For the most part the universe just doesn't "blend," it's like a bunch of houses on a block where neighbors sometimes go over to hang out, but each house is distinct and separate from the others.
I think the issue is less making all these different fantastical characters work together so much as making all these different fantastical characters work with the dour and gritty tone of modern Batman.

That said I do not think there is any real issue with adapting the source material compared to Marvel; it is just that the DC filmmakers have done a terrible job of it. Before any of the movies came out it was like lol are you guys seriously hedging a multi billion dollar bet on Zack Snyder?!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Somewhere there are dudes in the DC/WB board room telling each other, "No, I've thought about it a lot and there is no way a movie can be fun and make money, we have to keep doing this"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Whatev posted:

I think the issue is less making all these different fantastical characters work together so much as making all these different fantastical characters work with the dour and gritty tone of modern Batman.

Yeah it's like I said-- DC characters tend to have much harder boundaries in their tone and setting, and you're astute in pointing out that the WB said "ok then they'll all be under Batman's roof."

quote:

That said I do not think there is any real issue with adapting the source material compared to Marvel; it is just that the DC filmmakers have done a terrible job of it. Before any of the movies came out it was like lol are you guys seriously hedging a multi billion dollar bet on Zack Snyder?!

Yeah it mystifies me a bit too. I think they listen to the minority of fans who want comics and superheroes to be "grown up stuff for mature grown-up grownups gosh darnit" and mistake them for a huge demographic that rivals Marvel's stuff.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

mind the walrus posted:

They're trying to make Geoff Johns that guy which could go either way.

On the one hand he is a good writer and knows DC well. On the other he's a total fanboy who literally bent the DC Universe to his will so it looked more like it did when he was a kid.

Exactly. Johns wrecked everything he touched with quick sales pushes and lovely stories that required constant rebooting. He's the windows me of the written word

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't really feel the "gritty" tone of these movies is the issue. A movie can be gritty and have super powers in it, there's no rule against it

They're just bad movies. Bad characters, bad writing, bad plot

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zzulu posted:

I don't really feel the "gritty" tone of these movies is the issue. A movie can be gritty and have super powers in it, there's no rule against it

They're just bad movies. Bad characters, bad writing, bad plot

My broader point isn't that the grittiness is bad, it's that the DC characters are fundamentally unsuited to it. Batman is the goth kid on the street, and that's great. Having sunnier heroes show up in his grim and dreary world for contrast isn't just interesting it's necessary. But he's the exception in the roster. That's part of his point. Making the entire universe take on his mold works directly against what makes the rest of the characters work.

That isn't even to :goonsay: "IT HAS TO BE LIKE THE COMICS" because I don't care if it's like the comics. It's like baking a cake-- you can futz with the ratio of eggs, flour, sugar, and water but a lot of testing over the years tell us that that's the best combo for making a cake everyone enjoys. Introducing the ingredients for a pumpkin pie because you like pumpkin pie more than cake is not a good idea.

And you know, bad writing and bad plot.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 5, 2016

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Zzulu posted:

i think chris nolan ruined them. now if they release a movie without overdone color filters or extreme staring closeups they'll dilute their brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

That isn't even to :goonsay: "IT HAS TO BE LIKE THE COMICS" because I don't care if it's like the comics. It's like baking a cake-- you can futz with the ratio of eggs, flour, sugar, and water but a lot of testing over the years tell us that that's the best combo for making a cake everyone enjoys. Introducing the ingredients for a pumpkin pie because you like pumpkin pie more than cake is not a good idea.

And you know, bad writing and bad plot.

Well in the case of the recent DC films it's more like introducing the ingredients for brown poo poo because you like the taste of brown poo poo

• Locked thread