Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Satoru Fujinuma is a reclusive part-timer with no plans for the future. What sets him apart from the other slackers in his town is an involuntary time travel ability that allows him to jump back several seconds in time in order to prevent accidents and even deaths. As incidents around town begin reminding Satoru of a childhood trauma he’d sooner forget, he finally begins to question what caused his ability to surface and whether or not it’s powerful enough to change the past.

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi (or "Erased" as the English title) is an anime based on Sanbe Kei's on-going mystery manga, which is currently up to 7 volumes, but supposedly planned to end in time for the anime to get a proper ending. The director is Itou Tomohiko, famous for Sword Art Online and Silver Spoon, with Kishimoto Taku writing the screenplay, after already doing great adaptations like Usagi Drop and Haikyuu. Unlike most shows, the director apparently felt regular voice actors sounded too "cool" and "Jump:y", so he decided to cast a regular live-action actor in the role as main character Satoru, making it sound pretty different from what you might be used to. Please note that he's a jdrama actor, and they're all really, really bad, so it's not much of an improvement.

Somehow it's being streamed by multiple parties, so pick one:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/erased
http://www.funimation.com/shows/erased/home
http://www.daisuki.net/ca/en/anime/detail.ERASED.html

Broadcast in Japan is being done by Fuji TV in the renowned Noitamina slot on Thursday nights, with a total of 12 episodes seemingly scheduled.

The manga is really good, and the first anime episode has been quite fantastic, so this should be a home run, but please don't talk about the manga in this thread, thank you. Let anime viewers enjoy it without fearing the black bars for once. Go make your own thread!

darkgray fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Hey, did you know that blah blah and that Satoru is secretly blahbedy blah blah that blah blah blahbedy blahdahblah blah!?

In all seriousness though,

darkgray posted:

Unlike most shows, the director apparently felt regular voice actors sounded too "cool" and "Jump:y", so he decided to cast a regular live-action actor in the role as main character Satoru, making it sound pretty different from what you might be used to. Please note that he's a jdrama actor, and they're all really, really bad, so it's not much of an improvement.

Somehow that's both a disappointment and a good sign. The former because I though Satoru's va was doing a legit good job but it turns out to be kinda luck, but the latter because at least I can trust that it won't really change.

I'm glad the director tried it out though.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
The first episode of this was cool, interesting set up for the rest of the show. How many episodes is this going to be?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

The first episode of this was cool, interesting set up for the rest of the show. How many episodes is this going to be?

12 episodes and it is going to portray the end of the original manga. the manga isnt finished yet, but i am going to guess the anime will end at the same time as the manga, kind of like what they did with the Your Lie in April anime and manga.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'll add this to the ol' watchlist, I pretty much only check out the stuff that's good enough to merit a thread of its own during its season anyway. Sounds like an interesting premise at least.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011

quote:

Unlike most shows, the director apparently felt regular voice actors sounded too "cool" and "Jump:y", so he decided to cast a regular live-action actor in the role as main character Satoru, making it sound pretty different from what you might be used to. Please note that he's a jdrama actor, and they're all really, really bad, so it's not much of an improvement.
Funny that, I actually found MC's VA a perfect fit. It felt surprisingly good to hear anime character sound almost like a real human for once so props for the director.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

MrCinos posted:

Funny that, I actually found MC's VA a perfect fit. It felt surprisingly good to hear anime character sound almost like a real human for once so props for the director.

He is normally a drama actor. Same goes for the actress who plays the protagonist's younger self.

e: Which is what you quoted, whoops.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
While I'll miss the novelty of having a legit, for reals grown-rear end protagonist, time travel is cool too. I'm guessing there'll be a fair amount of adult-VA inner monologue going on then, right?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy loving poo poo

Boku dake....ERASED (thank gently caress there's an official English title for it now, up until seeing this thread I always referred to it as "I Am Missing") is among my favorite manga ever, and seeing this thread was the first time I'd found it has an anime adaptation. Insanely excited for this, because it's one of my favorite supernatural thrillers ever.

Like if you're not one for the anime, check out the manga, for sure. It's so drat good, I've likened it to a gut punch in print form, when it wants to it will absolutely deck you with emotional impact.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

the first episode of this show was really good. great pacing, which i presume will be kept up if they're adapting (what will be) an 8 volume manga into a 12 episode anime

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I'm also a manga reader and really love it a lot, first ep was very promising so I'm hype.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I loved the first episode, both the setup, and the sound design which was eerie and tense. Really looking forward to more.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I'll add this to the ol' watchlist, I pretty much only check out the stuff that's good enough to merit a thread of its own during its season anyway. Sounds like an interesting premise at least.

You seem to like a good mystery so you'll probably like this one.

I can't post all my bad analyses for you to shake your head at though since I read the manga already.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mordja posted:

While I'll miss the novelty of having a legit, for reals grown-rear end protagonist, time travel is cool too. I'm guessing there'll be a fair amount of adult-VA inner monologue going on then, right?

since you're specifically asking for it,
he jumps back and forth between the two times

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Kinda weird to see the re-designs for the characters (the author has a very recognizable style) but I'm down on getting to the ending via the anime instead of the manga (and then reading it, of course).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

trucutru posted:

Kinda weird to see the re-designs for the characters (the author has a very recognizable style) but I'm down on getting to the ending via the anime instead of the manga (and then reading it, of course).

This is one of the rare cases where an anime redesign maybe a good idea; even though I kind of like the artist's style, his characters tend to look extremely similar.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

a kitten posted:

I loved the first episode, both the setup, and the sound design which was eerie and tense. Really looking forward to more.

Yeah, I reaalllly noticed the sound in this one. The "Revival" sound effect has a real bite, and the sound effect of the stab was brutal. I'm also glad they seem to have pulled off the subtle corner-of-your-eye feel of the manga with the direction.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

You seem to like a good mystery so you'll probably like this one.

I can't post all my bad analyses for you to shake your head at though since I read the manga already.

I mean, I doubt it'll live up to the legend that is Rokka no Yuusha, but it'll be nice to see it try. I'm kidding, I'm sure it's going to be a cut above Rokka.

I'm starting on the manga now because I just can't wait, so I'll be in the same boat as you soon-ish.

Oh, and I like the voice acting choices quite a bit so far, his older self really does stand out from the typical voice acting I'm used to. His young voice seemed like standard VA fare, so I'm surprised that she's a drama actor as well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NowonSA posted:

His young voice seemed like standard VA fare, so I'm surprised that she's a drama actor as well.

This reminds me of when I found out that Maki Horikita (drama actress, notably played the lead in the Nobuta wo Produce and HanaKimi dramas) played Luke in the Japanese Professor Layton games. It also worked well there, though I imagine that it's not too hard to fit a woman's voice to a little boy.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

This reminds me of when I found out that Maki Horikita (drama actress, notably played the lead in the Nobuta wo Produce and HanaKimi dramas) played Luke in the Japanese Professor Layton games. It also worked well there, though I imagine that it's not too hard to fit a woman's voice to a little boy.

Has there ever been a child character who wasn't played by a woman?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

All the counter examples I can think of are in western animation.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

Er, if male children count, then Mushishi had a few boys playing boys in various episodes. And Irino Miyu played Haku in Spirited Away when he was like 12. Kimura Seiya is 11 and played a boy in Barakamon.

Guess it depends on what you consider "child", and if it counts when they're just short flashbacks to youth years.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, I wasn't surprised that it was a woman playing the young voice, just that it was another drama actress.

I'm all caught up on the manga now! A lot of it went as I predicted, though that doesn't make it bad or anything. Definitely looking forward to the anime, in particular to see the proper ending!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Barakamon is the best example I can think of.

It's also really good and funny so people should watch it.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I really liked that they are keeping the black bars in episode 2, it makes it seem more surreal to me for some reason.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 14, 2016

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ep 2 remains very good. Impressed by the animation too. Really nice scene when Satoru sees his childhood home again after so long, and the child abuse scene felt strong. Hope they can keep it up.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Yeah, I quite liked the way the characters moved around the place. Looks good.

Also, our main man is pretty smooth when he isnt getting massively owned by a little girl. :lol:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jostiband posted:

Also, our main man is pretty smooth when he isnt getting massively owned by a little girl. :lol:

Satoru in general I find to be a very good protagonist; he generally acts very intelligently and proactively and keeps focused on the bigger picture.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I was left a little bit cold by Satoru's actions toward his mother after he went back in time. It doesn't seem like he would have had time to build up the loneliness and regret and other feelings he was affecting in the 10 minutes since he found out she'd been murdered. Granted, given the focus this episode on how he tried to portray the feelings he thought he was supposed to, that could easily be intentional.

Hinazuki's essay was really good for an 11 year old. Worrisome, sure, and in the English-speaking world you'd figure that a school counselor of some sort would get involved, but Japan's mental health treatment has, as far as I know, never been the target of praise.

One way or another, though, I don't trust that little blonde fucker.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's cool how Satoru's inner monologue overlaps with his voice when he forgets to keep a thought to himself.

My gut says that Kenya might have something like the same power as Satoru. I hope he's not a bad guy because I like him.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Demicol posted:

I really liked that they are keeping the black bars in episode 2, it makes it seem more surreal to me for some reason.

I think the black bars thing is there as a visual way if differentiating the revival from his adult experiences, as if he's experiencing this new version of his past like a movie that he's directing. For me that's the most brilliant part of the whole film motif they're going for, which is original to the show btw.

Jostiband posted:

Yeah, it's incredibly well animated. It looks like A1 put their best people on this show.

Kytrarewn posted:

I was left a little bit cold by Satoru's actions toward his mother after he went back in time. It doesn't seem like he would have had time to build up the loneliness and regret and other feelings he was affecting in the 10 minutes since he found out she'd been murdered. Granted, given the focus this episode on how he tried to portray the feelings he thought he was supposed to, that could easily be intentional.

In all of half a day, he found his mom murdered, was blamed for the murder, set upon by the police, traveled back in time 18 years, had to deal with a school day while trying to cobble together what the gently caress just happened, and at the end of it all found his mom safe and sound and perfectly unaware of what he'd witnessed. If that isn't enough nonsense to cause debilitating mental shock in a normal human being then idk what is.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

My gut says that Kenya might have something like the same power as Satoru. I hope he's not a bad guy because I like him.

I don't think he has the same power, he might just have noticed that Satoru was acting weird.

His eye color did change very briefly though

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

El Burbo posted:

I don't think he has the same power, he might just have noticed that Satoru was acting weird.

oh my god

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

El Burbo posted:

I didn't go back and check for this, but yeah, this was what I was thinking of. It would be really cool if he did, but that would then mean he's the most likely culprit.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

ViggyNash posted:

In all of half a day, he found his mom murdered, was blamed for the murder, set upon by the police, traveled back in time 18 years, had to deal with a school day while trying to cobble together what the gently caress just happened, and at the end of it all found his mom safe and sound and perfectly unaware of what he'd witnessed. If that isn't enough nonsense to cause debilitating mental shock in a normal human being then idk what is.

That's sort of exactly what I'm saying. "Thank god I can see her again", "This time I'm going to be nicer to her", et cetera felt like the kind of thing that would come weeks or months after her death, especially given all of the complicating factors like the police interest in Satoru, and their contentious relationship.

His reaction to Revival coming into play being a bit off, given the numbers of disasters he's averted, I can easily ascribe to the number of shocking things that had happened to him in such a short period of time.

On that note, though, what is Ziggy trying to prevent here?

With neither the car nor the abduction did Satoru specifically see the event that's supposed to be prevented, but he did find his mother's corpse. And it's been 18 years since Hinazuki's murder, so Revival could have sent him back to 1988 any time, so it's neither of those horrible events. Will we ever even find out that, absent Revival, Satoru is the AIDS patient zero that wipes out three full cell blocks at Tokyo SuperMax or whatever the scenario is?

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Dammit Maiza! Why are you in the wrong series killing people :argh:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It can't be that obvious, can it?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Kytrarewn posted:

That's sort of exactly what I'm saying. "Thank god I can see her again", "This time I'm going to be nicer to her", et cetera felt like the kind of thing that would come weeks or months after her death, especially given all of the complicating factors like the police interest in Satoru, and their contentious relationship.

My impression (having not read the manga) was that her death just triggers the realization that his relationship with his mother was more distant than he would like in retrospect. It's easy to imagine someone like Satoru being dour at home as a kid because mom's a youkai etc.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Regardless of his mum's murder etc. it's been years since he was a kid sat at the table in that house while she cooked dinner, there's no way he wouldn't be effected like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

I feel like you might be biased by your own experiences or something because it doesn't come off as strange at all to me.

Redmark posted:

My impression (having not read the manga) was that her death just triggers the realization that his relationship with his mother was more distant than he would like in retrospect. It's easy to imagine someone like Satoru being dour at home as a kid because mom's a youkai etc.

In the manga, that sense of distance between them is exemplified by Satoru getting mad at one point and smashing a mirror, which then becomes yet another piece of incriminating evidence against him. (The person in the window is the landlord)

Oh, one big omission that I forgot is that there is another pre-episode-2 revival that the show skipped. It's not a major moment though since it just cements points that were already made.

• Locked thread