Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

Unless I forgot something, I think there's the possibility that Kayo's disappearance and the kidnappings are unrelated. Kayo may have just run away from home and just froze to death.

It's sort of been implied that they were all killed in the same way. And I think they'd notice if she'd froze to death after examining the body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

AnoHito posted:

It's sort of been implied that they were all killed in the same way. And I think they'd notice if she'd froze to death after examining the body.

on the other hand...

AnoHito posted:

Oh the wonders of Showa Japan...
:v:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

It's nothing about the show itself, but I'm super loving Asian Kung Fu doing the OP for the show, it's so good

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

They said her body was found in the park after the snow melted, though. If she had run away she would probably have gone farther.

I noticed they did the same thing with Kayo's parents as with the blond classmate, they briefly gave them red eyes, despite that not being their actual eye color. The anime seems to want us to think that "evil" people have red eyes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Demicol posted:

They said her body was found in the park after the snow melted, though. If she had run away she would probably have gone farther.

I noticed they did the same thing with Kayo's parents as with the blond classmate, they briefly gave them red eyes, despite that not being their actual eye color. The anime seems to want us to think that "evil" people have red eyes.

Or possibly ones that our protagonist is filing as suspicious, given how much of the show is delivered through his perspective (with the tape-reel effects and everything).

two for the shoah
Jan 14, 2016

Xelkelvos posted:

I think the teacher is the kidnapper because he seems to have that vibe

i get the same feeling. something about his demeanor is really unsettling

two for the shoah
Jan 14, 2016

fwiw i also think that kenya is a red herring, although the scene featuring he and the teacher makes me wonder if he is loosely implicated in the killings somehow (perhaps as an accomplice or something idk)

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

two for the shoah posted:

fwiw i also think that kenya is a red herring, although the scene featuring he and the teacher makes me wonder if he is loosely implicated in the killings somehow (perhaps as an accomplice or something idk)

Well if the teacher is gonna be the bad guy, Kenya talking to him about something could be pretty drat important later. Like maybe he'll save the girl but Kenya dies in her place

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I think it's too early to know who has which role, although it's fun to speculate. But Kenya obviously plays an important role and stands out as highly unusual for someone his age.

He's either going to be a major bro, or an enemy.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Hmmm... I don't have much to say about this one.

I guess that means it's good?

two for the shoah
Jan 14, 2016

Cubemario posted:

I think it's too early to know who has which role, although it's fun to speculate. But Kenya obviously plays an important role and stands out as highly unusual for someone his age.

He's either going to be a major bro, or an enemy.

just to be clear i guess i should state that my posts consist entirely of speculation

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

If there's one thing I learned from Higurashi, it's that child protective services in Showa-era Japan were apparently hot garbage. Who knows if there's any truth to it.

Show's real nice so far.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
There was also that government run orphanage where the guy in charge molested everyone so it's not like child services was a safe haven during that time either.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Woo! In on the ground floor for once!

This is a neat show so far. It reminds me a tad of Higurashi in the way it has incredibly bleak stuff hiding just under the surface of an otherwise benign universe. Can't wait for more!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'm betting Kenya was the one who first noticed what's going on with the girl and is just telling the teacher what he knows. I don't want either of them to be crazy.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

So am I confused or was one of the other 2 girls that were killed his one friend? Why hasnt that been brought up at all or have I forgotten a mention of it?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

So am I confused or was one of the other 2 girls that were killed his one friend? Why hasnt that been brought up at all or have I forgotten a mention of it?

Hiromi Sugita is part of his group of friends. Also, he's a boy.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

El Burbo posted:

Hiromi Sugita is part of his group of friends. Also, he's a boy.

Are you sure? Is that manga stuff? I'm pretty sure she's just a tomboy.
Edit: i don't actually want an answer.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

a kitten posted:

I'm just going off what reddit said, but everyone else in the group is a boy so it seems resonable

e: I haven't read the manga

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 23, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've been waffling back and forth...the last time i saw her/him i became convinced she was a tomboy that they just think of as one of the boys.

Now i'm unsure again, but i'm sticking to the anime only and not going to give in and read it.

probably.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

he's a boy

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

a kitten posted:

Edit: i don't actually want an answer.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
He's a boy because his backpack is black. During this time, the standard is black backpacks for boys and red for girls.

Also, the main character does mention that his friend is also a victim in the latest episode though it's only a side note.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I've got a lot of theories about what's going to happen, but I'm only gonna say for now that whatever happens I'm pretty sure Hiromi will die regardless of time line shenanigans.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
There are like 6 notable shows airing this season and this one is easily the best despite clearly having the lowest budget of the lot.

Can't wait for this to reach the final episode and resolve in a really bad way because there isn't enough source material :shepicide:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's doing the same thing Your Lie in April did, so it'll end at the same time as the manga. There'll be a proper ending.

It might not be a good one, but it'll be one.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I would just like to point out that the lack of proactive work from child services/police is because this is taking place in the 1980s. Things like choir practice did exist, and child rights were nothing compared to what they are now.

I managed to get my gf to watch this show and get her hooked, I'm gonna mark this show as a great introductory to anime that isn't big-boobs pedophilic robot moe.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thor-Stryker posted:

I managed to get my gf to watch this show and get her hooked, I'm gonna mark this show as a great introductory to anime that isn't big-boobs pedophilic robot moe.

Sounds good bro

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah...having just watched episode 3 yesterday, i kept waiting for something egregiously dumb to happen, since people itt were like shouting at the screen to call the police. but it wouldn't surprise me at all for this stuff to happen ~40 years ago, or even in present time.

i'm still really enjoying the balancing act the show manages to do with the slice of life stuff and the mystery/darker subjects. even if i really prefer the former. :sweatdrop:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

could you tell me the names of some of the shows that are big-boobs pedophilic robot moe?

edit - just asking so i dont accidentally download and watch them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

could you tell me the names of some of the shows that are big-boobs pedophilic robot moe?

edit - just asking so i dont accidentally download and watch them

star citizen

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

star citizen

Man, those Kickstarter rewards went to some strange places.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

yeah...having just watched episode 3 yesterday, i kept waiting for something egregiously dumb to happen, since people itt were like shouting at the screen to call the police. but it wouldn't surprise me at all for this stuff to happen ~40 years ago, or even in present time.

i'm still really enjoying the balancing act the show manages to do with the slice of life stuff and the mystery/darker subjects. even if i really prefer the former. :sweatdrop:

It's definitely possible for it to happen in the US in a smaller town where state authorities are less present and local authorities may be a minor issue.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hokkaido is kind of considered the rear end end of Japan in general. It pretty much consists of nothing but small towns and the capital Sapporo. This problem is actually getting worse as time goes on, since 70% of the towns on the island are shrinking while more and more people flee for the big cities.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I forgot it was set in Hokkaido, too. That's not, like, Alaska-levels of isolation but they're basically living in Japan's equivalent of a town in northern Maine. Complete with serial child murderer!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have a theory about Kenya: it's possible that he killed Satoru's mom, but that he won't be an antagonist in the show. People aren't born as serial killers, so even though in the original timeline he would grow up to become one, Satoru has the power to change that.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

My big crazy theory at the moment is that Katagiri is Hinazuki's sister, born after she was murdered. The dates kind of line up with our MC being 29 and her being in high school, the hair color is the same, and she's rather prominent in the OP along with Hinazuki and Satoru's mother. Which leads to my next crazy theory that only one of these three can be saved; the idea being that if Hinazuki lives past her abduction that triggers something in the timeline that prevents Katagiri from being born (probably because her mom doesn't need another child to beat on?). But if Satoru wants to save his mom, the Hinazuki continues to live with an abuser and eventually dies or commits suicide down the road.

Also something going on with people's eyes. Red eyes show up in a few people, and in the OP pictures of those individuals are shown with their eyes scratched out, including a few other people who haven't really played much into the story yet (like Satoru's boss, although he did get a lingering shot at the end of Ep. 1).

I initially thought the teacher was the killer both in the present and the past, but looking at the past victims and the present potential victims, they're all either girls or Hiromi. Hiromi threw this thread for a brief loop over whether he was a girl or boy, so I can see a killer easily making the same mistake as well. But keeping that in mind, the teacher wouldn't make this kind of mistake, unless him killing Hiromi was calculated to throw off any potential pattern.

I dunno, I really enjoy thinking about this series and it's probably the first show I've watched where I don't immediately go to the source material to try and get a leg up on what's going to happen. I'm so excited to see if any of my theories hold any truth.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Ds3nVJ-ok&t=507s

I mean the facts fit.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Moldy Taxes posted:

I initially thought the teacher was the killer both in the present and the past, but looking at the past victims and the present potential victims, they're all either girls or Hiromi. Hiromi threw this thread for a brief loop over whether he was a girl or boy, so I can see a killer easily making the same mistake as well. But keeping that in mind, the teacher wouldn't make this kind of mistake, unless him killing Hiromi was calculated to throw off any potential pattern.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, nobody who saw Hiromi's backpack would make that mistake, meaning that the killer knew that he was a boy if he put ANY prepwork into it.

Another possibility is that Yuuki (The young Michael Jackson impersonator) murdered Hiromi, but that someone else killed Aya and Kayo, and the latter (or someone related to them) is the one that came back out of the aether to get rid of Satoru's mom.

As mentioned before, my biggest concern at the moment is trying to figure out exactly what cosmic injustice Revival is trying to thwart. There's no end of possibilities:
1. Kayo being killed.
2. Satoru's mother being killed.
3. Yuuki being executed for a crime he didn't comit
4. Satoru going to prison
5. Someone else getting murdered in the original timeline
or any number of other, slightly less likely possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I don't know. It seems like all those problems are tied to together and solving the child murders will save Yuuki and his mom (if her murderer is the same child murder which is likely). And if his mom doesn't get killed then he doesn't go to prison.

Kytrarewn posted:

As mentioned earlier in the thread, nobody who saw Hiromi's backpack would make that mistake, meaning that the killer knew that he was a boy if he put ANY prepwork into it.
I don't really know about that. He is obviously meant to look feminine and even his name "Hiromi" is on the feminine side. I actually thought he was a girl until I saw his backpack. If he wasn't wearing his backpack or if it was a random attack then he could easily be mistaken for a girl.

Then you have to consider that someone who knew Hiromi like Yuuki or the teacher could use that to throw the trail off since the murderer would have to be someone who didn't know Hiromi.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 27, 2016

• Locked thread