Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
this is the old computer thread. post some photos of old computers, post about old computers you own, post about an old computer you think is cool. diversions into incredibly spergy and boring poo poo are, of course, welcome

RULES:

1. Post old computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

here's my PDP-11/73

Wikipedia says it best: "Introduced in 1983, this system used the Jaws-11 chip set and the Q-Bus, with a clock speed of 15.2 MHz."

basically, this was a miniaturized PDP-11 used in various sytems that would be well-served by a PDP-11 but that didn't need a serial connection to a Big Ol PDP-11. once microchips started being a thing (LARGE SCALE INTEGRATION), DEC discovered that you can take a thing that takes up dozens or hundreds of circuit boards and thousands of components and put it on one or two chip dies.

If you had a VT-103 terminal, you could build an entire computer like this inside it.

the computer, as a whole, is the Q-Bus card cage, which is just a dumb backplane with a power supply connector and a bunch of cards in it. It's a cheaper and smaller revision of the earlier Unibus, created by multiplexing the address and data lines.

The CPU card (a KDJ11A, the thing that makes it a PDP-11) is in the front. The two dies are a "data path chip" and a "control chip" and I have no idea why they're separate or how they work. It's 16-bit, just like all the other PDP-11s, and its clock speed is pretty high for the time.

lol posted:

The design originally was intended to support multiple control chips to allow implementation of additional instructions such as the Commercial Instruction Set (CIS), but no such control chips were ever offered.

what the gently caress is Dibol posted:

Commercial Instruction Set (CIS)
The CIS was implemented by optional microcode in the 11/23/24, and by an add-in module in the 11/44 and in one version of the 11/74. It provided string and decimal instructions used by COBOL and Dibol.

This particular computer was inside a Kevex electron microscope controller. Besides the CPU card, it's also equipped with a 1.1 kiloword RAM card (which goes over the same Q-bus connection as everything else so it's pretty slow), a GTSC 304 4-port serial card (equivalent to DEC's DLV11-J), a Data Translation EP050 data acquisition card, a Kevex electron microscope controller card, and a GTSC 360/361 SCSI controller card.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work yet. I need to find or build a power supply for it and connect it to a terminal, and to the Quantum ProDrive that came with it. Someday, it will boot, but for now it just sits there looking kinda neat.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

my end goal with the PDP-11 is to put 2.11BSD on it and connect it to the Internet somehow.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Good poo poo.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
but the best amiga is the cancelled ranger prototype from 1987

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I have an SGI Octane in storage. Thanks to the Internet Archive, I was able to find the pics I took of it back in 2003. Here's the whole setup, including SGI-branded Sony Trinitron monitor

The beige box on the right is an external SCSI CD-ROM drive, since the Octane had no room for an internal one.

It's got a 64-bit MIPS R12000 CPU @300mhz w/640MB RAM :flashfap:

Not pictured: the support I had to add to the underside of the desk to stop it from sagging under the weight of a 19" CRT and an 80 lbs SGI workstation.

edit: this particular Octane only has the SE graphics, meaning the (2nd generation?) entry-level 3D graphics hardware with no texture memory.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 12, 2016

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Doc Block posted:

I have an SGI Octane in storage. Thanks to the Internet Archive, I was able to find the pics I took of it back in 2003. Here's the whole setup, including SGI-branded Sony Trinitron monitor

The beige box on the right is an external SCSI CD-ROM drive, since the Octane had no room for an internal one.

Not pictured: the support I had to add to the underside of the desk to stop it from sagging under the weight of a 20"-ish CRT and an 80 lbs SGI workstation

i threw out two octanes two years ago and i regret it. daddies, hug ur boxen tight. don't let them go.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

it's good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

lol I never noticed the "this computer is never obsolete" verbage at the endin teh whole ad

Silver Alicorn fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 12, 2016

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
jay miner was fuckin man

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

Not pictured: the support I had to add to the underside of the desk to stop it from sagging under the weight of a 19" CRT and an 80 lbs SGI workstation.

edit: this particular Octane only has the SE graphics, meaning the (2nd generation?) entry-level 3D graphics hardware with no texture memory.

Also found a screenshot I took. Again, from 2003.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

this is the computer i had as a childe. a tandy tl1000. it was pretty cool. i can still remember the smell of the milky transparent plastic keyboard cover, which had just enough ball point pen markings on it to let you know someone hosed up. it had a lot of cool programs. there was a music composition program that took approximately 10 minutes to load. there was a word processing program that i used to type up school assignments. there was an art program that made spiralgraph things, and you could print out banners on the dot matrix.

fast forward to present day, as a 30 year old adult i have met one of the loathesome men responsible for creating the tandy tl1000. he works at the place i work and his teeth look like he eats plaque for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. he doesn't shut the gently caress up about tandy and now i can't think of my cherished childhood memories of playing some math game i can't remember the name of without a sense memory of this troglodite's foul breath flooding my nostrils.

haha this brings back so many now ruined fond memories

Jerry Bindle fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 12, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Doc Block posted:

Not pictured: the support I had to add to the underside of the desk to stop it from sagging under the weight of a 20"-ish CRT and an 80 lbs SGI workstation

i took a photo of the other room (it's not normally this junky, I'm moving my stuff atm)

there's an octane and an indy under the indigos and indigo2s somewhere. I also have an O2 that was in perfect condition until someone rear-ended my car and it flew out of the cargo net and shattered :mad:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

im the defective box.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Doc Block posted:

Also found a screenshot I took. Again, from 2003.

https://instagram.com/p/40bWv5tS2F/

Running DOOM on a former Top500 supercomputer. posted:

Unlike most systems to have graced the Top500 list, this machine has graphics, so here it is running Doom.

Backstory:

I picked up a SiliconGraphics Onyx (codename Terminator) supercomputer for $50 on Friday. It was originally bought after being de-commed in '03 by a private individual who had it stored in Bend Oregon. He never fired it up.

I live in Seattle and found the machine by pure dumb luck while browsing Portland Craigslist during a visit for a bachelor party.

For background, the Onyx product line started as a desk side visualization system with 1-4 CPUs at $250,000 in 1993, and configurations went up from there- peaking at around 20 CPUs in a double-fridge-sized chassis in the $millions range.

According to my SGI price book (which was confidential) this SKU would have been $2.2 million+ (or about $4 million today).

This one was totally maxed out with all the options and an early '94 manufacture date- it originally came from University of Minnesota- some of the CPU boards were dead so I'm down to only 16 CPUs.

If my research is correct- this EXACT machine was, in June 1994, ranked as the 491st fastest supercomputer on earth.

Wiring up 220v in the garage and a few repairs later- it's running DOOM.

quote:

Facts at a glance:
  • 20x 150 MHz MIPS R4400 CPUs on 5 boards - one board disabled due to failure )':
  • 3x 2200 watt power supplies (one disabled because summer heat)
  • 3x RealityEngine2 Graphics Pipes, 5 boards each, 12x 75mhz Intel i860 RISC CPUs in each pipe to handle Geometry (2 pipes disabled because summer heat)
  • 2 GB ram across two boards (upgraded from 1.5 GB) on a 256-bit wide system bus.
  • Approx. 900 LBS
  • 5x HVD SCSI hard drives
  • SiliconGraphics IRIX 6.5 OS
  • Audio output option (VME, w00t w00t)
  • A keyboard/mouse port for the local console :)
  • Two big loving squirrel cage blowers to keep it all running

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Barnyard Protein posted:

i threw out two octanes two years ago and i regret it. daddies, hug ur boxen tight. don't let them go.

RIP ur SGI octanes

RIP SGI

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i think i also threw out a full IRIX 6.5 install set. that doesn't sound like something i'd do, because i'd been looking for a full IRIX cd set for a decade prior, but damned if i can't find it now.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

they have this thing called a cd burner

edit: I burned an IRIX CD to change the root password on the Octane so I could see what it was used for. was hoping for cool graphics poo poo or video games or something. got proofs from a print shop for a brochure about a municipal sewer system upgrade program

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 12, 2016

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
yeah i unlocked an indy circa 2002 using an overlay ISO that i talked some into sending me on IRC. when i cared enough to do it, finding the full install set online was impossible, legit sets on ebay were prohibitively expensive. oh well. the unlocked indy, most of the apps weren't installed locally so it turned out to be a huge waste of time anyways. FFWD to 2012, i picked up 2x octanes and 2x indies from someone off nekochan for free, and he gave me a full install set. after sitting in my living room for a few months i got really skeez'd out about having HDD's sitting in my house that formerly belonged to someone on nekochan, pot kettle i know whatever, and chucked them.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i called SGI, when i got the indy's, to ask about getting a copy of IRIX. the lady said i'd need a support contract. i forget the exact cost for 1 year of support, but i think it was $30k.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Just checked, and I still have my IRIX 6.5.20 installation & software CDs that came with the Octane. :woop:

edit: all 8 billion of them

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 12, 2016

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Used to have a Sun SparcStation IPX too, but I never even booted it. Don't remember if it's still in storage with the Octane or if I sold it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
fine I'll just post in here too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
so in my neighborhood when people have big stuff they want to throw out it's normal for them to just sort of put it out on the corner and we've got a bunch of serious loving pack rats I guess because the broken lamps and used mattresses disappear in like 6 hours. I don't know who is sitting around trolling the neighborhood for broken high chairs and stained couches with ripped upholstery, but most stuff is gone before dark, the rest isn't there in the morning.

So one day I'm out walking with my lil boy in he stroller when he was like 9mos old and I see this pile of stuff at the street corner. I got nearer, it looked like about a 4 foot tall stack of computers. Turns out there were like 15-20 Sparc 5s & 10s just piled up there. Disks & ram pulled.

That pile of Sun garbage stayed there for almost 2 weeks.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

in the messy goddamn room if you rotate 180 degrees from the sgi corner you get the sun corner

i should probably just get rid of these

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the best thing about pizza-box suns is the floppy drives on the side

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
insert jammer in hole 2 down 4 across from back to pop those bad boys open

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just did that yesterday to inspect a Sun 411 SCSI case I was picking up

it's going to house a SCSISD, so I can have a ton of storage for my SS20

also just found a TurboGX+ so I can get 24-bit color

and hopefully my pair of SM71 CPUs arrive soon to give the system a little more oomph

now I just need to figure out pkgsrc on NetBSD 7 and I can even run reasonably modern software on it!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRO7lno_DM

in my basement, with other machines, is a highly modified IBM PC. It's got a nametag from someone who was a UC Berkeley computer science professor in the 80s. It's outfitted with a handmade aluminum bar heatsink for the CPU, an 8087, and unknown other modifications. There's something soldered into the bus lines on the motherboard. I don't know the full extent of what's been done to it but I can tell that it's been souped the gently caress up

I wonder if it'll run that demo, or if the timing would be hosed up.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

that is just unbelievably rude to post!!

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
history of old puters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYFRdV1r4nU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

this 2009 vintage macbook is my daily driver. jealous much

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

from reddit

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

so do you just use old computers instead of furniture

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i have that screwdriver

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

echinopsis posted:

i have that screwdriver

i find this highly unlikely

you may have one like it but i truly doubt you've obtained that screwdriver

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Silver Alicorn posted:

so do you just use old computers instead of furniture

use every part of the workstation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

i find this highly unlikely

you may have one like it but i truly doubt you've obtained that screwdriver

well it was in that picture and now I have one in my drawer. coincidence? hardly likely

• Locked thread