Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Broken Machine posted:

I have one of these

the glass is cracked but it works fine

also an Apple IIe

i'm actually impressed u can post on this rig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i need to get a whiteboard to work this out. so many parts that could fit together somehow. sliderule branded "POST", slidrules calculate logs, poo poo comes in logs, poo poo logs from a post slide rule... gently caress

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

faxlore posted:

I have a SGI ATH-101 keyboard that I have no use or want for and I don't want to just throw it away, I'll send it to someone for shipping costs.

i'd take it if it's ps/2 and nobody else is claiming it, as long as you're in the US so shipping is cheap

sliderule chat i have one of these, a pickett aluminum slide rule:

and one of these, a k&e log-log duplex decitrig:

and two others that I can't remember at the moment. the pictures aren't mine because i don't think i've ever taken pictures of mine.

the k&e has a sweet leather case that you can hang on your belt and be king of the nerds.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Broken Machine posted:

I have one of these

the glass is cracked but it works fine

also an Apple IIe

:protarget:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

here's a weird old wearable computer that i found at work. pc-104 boards in a case that's apparently shaped to sit against your hip:

it has these funky little adapters that plug into camcorder batteries for power, you can see i have it plugged into two in this picture. i got one running what i think was openbsd:

old picture of a microvax running netbsd:

alphastation running vms:

adm-3a terminal connected to my pc and playing some sort of mud iirc:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

faxlore posted:

I have a SGI ATH-101 keyboard that I have no use or want for and I don't want to just throw it away, I'll send it to someone for shipping costs.

What connector?

edit: my Octane has PS/2 ports and I already have two SGI keyboards with PS/2 connectors, so give it ti someone else.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 14, 2016

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
it can always be adapted into a USB device

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

MrMoo posted:

These are probably expensive: http://airtop-pc.com

Fanless barebones systems: http://www.cappuccinopc.com/solutions/fanless_mini_pc.asp

or build your own so you get use a super-loving cool heatsink like this http://www.quietpc.com/nof-icepipe

although that thing is so big you would probably also need to build your own case too

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

it can always be adapted into a USB device

I thought those adapters just mapped pins and the device still had to know how to speak both PS/2 and USB.

edit: either way, I've already got two SGI-branded PS/2 keyboards for my Octane so I'm set. Give 'em to the other guy that was asking.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

nice 70s strat

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Doc Block posted:

I thought those adapters just mapped pins and the device still had to know how to speak both PS/2 and USB.

yes. the adaptor is just for the different connectors. the keyboard still has to be usb

same goes for the ps2 to serial adaptors for old mice

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
you can also get an actual ps/2 to usb active adapter

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

i have a couple of apple ii (IIe, IIc, IIgs)
a couple c64
a dec alphaserver
a tandy coco ii
i have a portable mos kim-1 also its pretty great

oh and i got an apple i clone 2 years ago as a yosmas present <3

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Doc Block posted:

I'm not talking about the adapters that came with mice in 2001

I'm talking about an Arduino with a USB HID stack (like a Leonardo) with its GPIO wired to the keyboard's weird bespoke connector and some software implementing the keyboard's weird bespoke protocol so it can be used with a modern system, people have put these together for all sorts of workstation keyboards and other devices and it's honestly petty awesome

I've been trying to make one for HP Human Interface Link (used on HP 9000/300-400 and early 700 systems) for a couple months so I can twiddle some sweet rear end HP knobs, I've had issues trying to bitbang its weird 12/odd/1 serial protocol since I can't just have a UART do all the work

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

Pham Nuwen posted:

i'd take it if it's ps/2 and nobody else is claiming it, as long as you're in the US so shipping is cheap

I believe it's ps/2 I'd have to check again but yeah I'm in the US

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzgAzasqbpA

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

eschaton posted:

I'm not talking about the adapters that came with mice in 2001

I'm talking about an Arduino with a USB HID stack (like a Leonardo) with its GPIO wired to the keyboard's weird bespoke connector and some software implementing the keyboard's weird bespoke protocol so it can be used with a modern system, people have put these together for all sorts of workstation keyboards and other devices and it's honestly petty awesome

I've been trying to make one for HP Human Interface Link (used on HP 9000/300-400 and early 700 systems) for a couple months so I can twiddle some sweet rear end HP knobs, I've had issues trying to bitbang its weird 12/odd/1 serial protocol since I can't just have a UART do all the work

"It is electrically incompatible with TTL, so making a converter can be difficult."

most keyboard adapter projects use a Teensy bc they have lots of pins. HP did make an adapter (A4220-62001) according to Wikipedia, but I assume you know that.

Have you considered buying something with an HIL host interface and tearing out whatever IC does that and using it instead

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://github.com/kiibohd/controller/tree/master/Scan/HP150

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

holy poo poo where did you find that my mom needs it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

"It is electrically incompatible with TTL, so making a converter can be difficult."

it actually seems compatible though, input is 3.0V/0.8V and output is 3.3V/0.4V with VDD=5V

quote:

HP did make an adapter (A4220-62001) according to Wikipedia, but I assume you know that.

I did not! the only ones I've seen are around $200 though

quote:

Have you considered buying something with an HIL host interface and tearing out whatever IC does that and using it instead

considered it but I wouldn't want to do that to HP9000 hardware so it'd have to be old and broken test equipment

the client interface I have plenty of (a bunch of cheap ID modules) but it's not substitutable

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

old HD video computer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KppVP8PiZag

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

eschaton posted:

holy poo poo where did you find that my mom needs it

https://teegrasp.com/view-campaign/189578/controldatatsh/

:shrug:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

my two SCSI2SD adapters arrived a couple days ago and I tried to set one up today

I managed to brick one by attempting to update the bootloader, might be able to use JTAG to reload it though

the other one I didn't touch the bootloader, just the firmware, and put it in a Sun 411 case that I picked up. it appeared to work fine under NetBSD but kept getting parity errors when I tried to install either OPENSTEP 4.2 or Solaris 2.5.1 on it

I may need to get another spinning disk just to test whether it's the case, the cable, or the SCSI2SD board itself

I was really hoping to take advantage of the ability to emulate multiple targets since that's the easier way to run multiple operating systems

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i unfortunately threw out a perfectly working mac plus (with a bunch of peripherals) a few years ago

also an old kaypro with an amber monochrome crt a few years before that and a g4 imac but meh

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

SO DEMANDING posted:

yeah seriously, designing computers to actually be quiet is a recent development

everything used to be noisy. i miss the sound floppy drives would make when you'd boot up a computer

apple ii floppy drives are still the best startup sound of any machine ever

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-RyvZxKufo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

post young edsger dijkstra

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Phoning It In posted:

i got a thing for little clamshell organizers that run dos. here's one of my faves:

xt compatible that runs off two AAs and has ms-dos 5 on a rom. fun for serial stuff and ethernet works with an old enough card

i had something similar to that too (300lx iirc). my dad won it in a raffle decades ago and gave it to me

unfortunately i think i tossed it out like 15 years ago

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Dug up some better pics of MY OCTANE. I think I took these before I had hooked it up or some damned thing.

System module is on the left. Graphics hardware is on the right. Between the big system fan on top and the power supply on the bottom is an empty spot for a PCI card cage.

System module. MIPS R12000 CPU is under the big heatsink on the left

SE graphics hardware. No texture memory :(

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

make sure you don't touch the completely loving idiotic contact pads for the gold-plated bristle connectors

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Doc Block posted:

SE graphics hardware. No texture memory :(

certainly you can max it out for cheap these days

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

certainly you can max it out for cheap these days

Looks like a few hundred dollars and good timing on eBay. I'd be tempted if the Octane wasn't in storage in another state. I'm going back to AZ soon, hopefully I'll be able to pick it up and bring it home.

Hopefully the NVRAM battery isn't dead. What a brilliant idea to store hardware information required for licensing etc. in battery-backed RAM instead of an EEPROM or flash. Will SGI machines even boot if the NVRAM is dead? Never mind that the battery is actually buried inside the NVRAM so it's non-replaceable. :rolleyes:

atomicthumbs posted:

make sure you don't touch the completely loving idiotic contact pads for the gold-plated bristle connectors

Definitely. "Oh, you accidentally brushed the contact pads? Well, at least you can use that $10k MXE graphics card as a frisbee."

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 17, 2016

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i got 2 c64s and a vic-20 ive never even used but its still in the box

i got an apple performa 630 dos compatible, windows and mac os in one box lol jelly muhc?

i was planning on building a pentium 3 pc and so i bought a motherboard and then realized the drat mobo has 8 expansion slots and i dont have a case with 8 so now i gotta buy one

i have a flower power imac (gayyyy, lol.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Doc Block posted:

Hopefully the NVRAM battery isn't dead. What a brilliant idea to store hardware information required for licensing etc. in battery-backed RAM instead of an EEPROM or flash. Will SGI machines even boot if the NVRAM is dead? Never mind that the battery is actually buried inside the NVRAM so it's non-replaceable. :rolleyes:

:agreed: that its lovely for people that have them now, but SGI probably liked it. they probably wouldn't let that be a problem for people with support contracts, but they don't gain anything by us playing with these machines today.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I would think it'd make more sense for them to at least use replaceable batteries if for no other reason that to make their own support costs lower. Instead of having to replace the system module for a customer if the battery died, they could just replace the battery.

It's frustrating because the IC SGI used for the NVRAM/RTC in Octanes has a variant that's identical except it takes an external battery.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

i have two half working Mac Plus (should be able to combine them) with a second drive + mouse/kb but im still not sure what i'm gonna do with them because i have no way of writing the 800k mac floppies

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger

Olivil posted:

i have two half working Mac Plus (should be able to combine them) with a second drive + mouse/kb but im still not sure what i'm gonna do with them because i have no way of writing the 800k mac floppies

this is how you end up buying a second old Mac with a SuperDrive + Ethernet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

moosemanmoo posted:

this is how you end up buying a second old Mac with a SuperDrive + Ethernet

also then you can set up a LocalTalk network and play Netrek with a friend

and run file sharing on that second Mac so your Mac Plus doesn't have to use floppies (or a SCSI HD of its own) for everything

• Locked thread