Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Sorry, Alumnus. I was away pretty much all of Saturday so I missed your questions in IRC.

<alumnus_ghost> shardix is this bard just a vanilla bard

Yeah, vanilla from the base book. The only change is the dueling rapier was renamed to dueling blade because Serenity is a weeaboo elf with a katana.

<alumnus_post> also Shardix is the moon goddess an Actual Moon

Yes. (link)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Alumnus Post posted:

- You were on the run when you met Mote - when everything changed. Who or what were you running from?
- What you took from that dead woman had a mind of its own - why did it stay with you?
- The Lanterns are one of many groups sponsoring humanitarian missions to Aqualantis, providing what aid they can to the thousands who lost everything in the Big Sink. Where do their little lights come from?

"Well, this was back in Bagalish, and I made some mistakes. Did some crimes in the wrong part of town when I was in a desperate position, just a bit of zoukk, you know? But that territory belonged to the Passbana, you know, the halfling crimegangs. Maybe you don't have that out here? Maybe not. In Bagalish though, the Passbana are at the top of the food chain, far as criminals go. So when I did some crimes on their territory, they found out about it, and when they sent someone to punish me for it, I killed him. That wasn't smart, but I'm not a good thief, so I panicked."

Alumnus Post posted:

- What you took from that dead woman had a mind of its own - why did it stay with you?

"Mote was created to be a companion, and I was there. I think that's it. His master was fraa, his lantern was broken, so I put him in a calabash I had been drinking out of, and he's lived there ever since. I think that the fumes in the gourd might have made him a little more likely to trust me. Now he's my chivo, you know. Partner. Accomplice. Yes, it's a bad habit still speaking in Bagalish thief's cant. You can only change so far I guess?

I never found out who that Lantern was, you know, the one what got stomped down by the bullyboys. I want to know, but I daren't ask anyone, because while I may not have been a good thief, I do know that you don't go back to a crime you're associated with.

Of course, it helps that apparently no one, not even Lanterns, think that someone could steal a little light. Everyone thinks it's the dumbest thing they've ever heard. So hey, maybe I'm a pretty good thief after all."

Alumnus Post posted:

- The Lanterns are one of many groups sponsoring humanitarian missions to Aqualantis, providing what aid they can to the thousands who lost everything in the Big Sink. Where do their little lights come from?
"Uh. Right. Where do they...come...from...?

Fraa, chivo! Honest answer? I have no idea. From what I've gathered over the years, the creation of a light is the most important, most sacred, most private moment in a Lantern's life. Mote doesn't remember, because who remembers being born? And I can't ask any other Lanterns I meet because one, I try and stay away from other Lanterns because I'm a fraud, and two, because I can't go asking about something that I should already know about! I'm fraa. I can't let the Lanterns find out that I'm not the real deal, that I'm duk. They'd take Mote away, who knows what they'd do to me.

I can't let that happen."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Oh my god :3:

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
And with that completely :3: set of answers, recruitment is now closed! The doomed lucky winners are...

slydingdoor as Ramona de Sahagún, the Bounty Killer
InfiniteOregano as Tutresiel, the Star Mage
Error 404 as 01, the Golem 5000-year-old Murderho-bot
Shardix as Serenity Greymist, the Bardiest Bard
Teonis as Thrash (and Maw-Meow), the Orc Warchef
Vulpes Vulpes as Padre Clavo, the Lantern

Apologies to ArkInBlack with his totally sweet drider app. Rest assured Stathis will find out who really sank Aqualantis long before any of us will. :v:

Now all y'all get in IRC and start figuring out your bonds. 01, also take at least one more bond -- like it or not you're more tied to these meat-sacks than you'd strictly like to be.

I'll get the gamethread rolling just as soon as I have time in between work and finding a place to live. Some really great apps here - I'm psyched to get this going!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
01 Bonds:
  • Serenity resembles my old masters, I am compelled to obey her.
  • Thrash's pet keeps dinging up my paint job. Death is Certain.
  • Padre Clavo doesn't think highly of me. Fraa duk...chivo.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Serenity Bonds:

• This is not my first adventure with Thrash. I've attended some of the cooking competitions the orc has entered, and while orcish cuisine is certainly an acquired taste, nobody can claim it isn't creative.
  • I sang stories of Ramona long before I ever met her in person. I dearly wish to know who the real woman is behind the tales.
  • 01 is often the butt of my jokes. Because if I didn't crack jokes, the implications of such an ancient being would terrify me.
  • I am writing a ballad about the adventures of Padre Clavo. Lanterns are good folk and I am happy to aid them any way I can.
  • Tutresiel trusted me with a secret. Shh!

Shardix fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 18, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Ramona's

I sure don't miss Hamon compared to the better space alien, Tootsie. They're a good spotter, and we can set up some devastating lines of fire with the portal shenanigans. Very useful. Unlike the other one who crowded my shots with a bunch of useless goons.

Also, I want Tootsie's star piece thing that they hide in their infinity bag. Pretty sure it's hot fusion in some kind of stabilizer. Thinking about the charged up hotshot I could shoot with a power source like that... makes me smile. I could probably study it without destroying it.

Padre is as convincing a Lantern as I would be a debutante. But even old, he still tries, caught him training himself to have the mien, the prayers, all that. I can respect that.

During a meeting, Padre's Mote, like a cat that could fly, pushed a bottle of my fine rum off the edge of the table. I caught the both of them: the bottle with my foot and the little gremlin under my rocks glass. It turned red, I kicked the bottle into my hand got us out the way, and then "he" sliced through it--the rocks glass--and the table real clean, and went and hid behind his master. It was impressive. 'Fi could learn how to reproduce that red blade... I could make a lightsaber of my own.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 18, 2016

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Turtesiel Bonds
Padre Clavo finds me unnatural. After all, one who has touched the sun's grace should be able to sense something of my nature, right?
Ramona lacks the vision necessary to see the world as I do. They are too focused on flesh, and blood, and petty vengeance. But thoughtless action has its advantages.
01 and I share a common past. While in the dark depths, it kept finding crumbling buried ruins dedicated to the Silent God, even some with depictions of me. I have seen similar murals before of 01 reaching the Broken Domain, but will it like what it finds there?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Padre Clavo
Ramona de Sahagún is cold as ice, but we get along. I wonder if she ever lets that frost melt.
Tutresiel feels off, like they're...part light? But that doesn't make sense, right?
01- Look, yes, I'm a duk Lantern. But 01 is a duk person! It's really...it creeps me out.
Serenity Greymist cannot write a ballad about me.
Thrash's culinary stylings fascinate and frighten me in equal amounts.

edit: death is certain, &c.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 18, 2016

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Thrash's Bonds:
Padre Clavo is a gentleman and a scholar. Looks like your lies work on at least one person.
Tutresiel has the most interesting and delectable aroma. Obviously something Thrash has not tasted before, he is interested in seeing if he can cook it or, at the very least, served cold.
Scrawny customers like 01 have likely never had a good meal in their lives. I pity such a person. Never seen it eat; strange, thin body; no mouth. Surely, it must be starving under all that armor!
Ramona de Sahagún could benefit from this new combination of flavors I always wanted to try. Warriors always have big appetites. Warriors also need food to support muscle growth, like a 3rd arm or tentacle legs.

Some impressions; so I can remember who you all are...

Ramona de Sahagún, the Bounty Killer
Veteran of the first voyage, a ruthless killer who jacked everyone's good gear and got sick-rich

Tutresiel, the Star Mage
Some kind of fallen angel with power over space on a divine mission or something

01, the Golem 5000-year-old Murderho-bot
Another Error 404 kill-bot; seen before, but still looking forward to seeing more.

Serenity Greymist, the Bardiest Bard
The bardiest of bards... what more needs be said. Oh, yeah: Spoony

Padre Clavo, the Lantern
Laterns are like paladins right, but they are masters of the 'laser-lightshow'

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'd like to think that my killbots are at least memorable! :haw:

Pour one out for Claymore, too beautiful for this world.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Teonis posted:

Padre Clavo, the Lantern
Lanterns are like paladins right, but they are masters of the 'laser-lightshow'

Yeah, in the "wandering mystical do-gooder" sense rather than the "knight errant clad in steel" sense.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Yeah, in the "wandering mystical do-gooder" sense rather than the "knight errant clad in steel" sense.

Jedi

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Serenity Greymist cannot write a ballad about me.

Would "Padre Calvo does not trust me, and for good reason." work better for you?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Oh no, that's fine. I just thought it would be funny if Serenity wanted to be nice and helpful and write this ballad and Clavo was sweating bullets about this fame blowing his cover.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Oh! Okay, I misunderstood you there. Alright, cool.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
You guys are amazing. Keep doing your thing while I try to find an apartment and not go crazy trying to debug code that nobody knows how it works anymore. The gamethread will be coming Soon™, I promise.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
this is a friendly notice from your lord and dungeon master: i found an apartment so i had some time to WRITE THIS GAMETHREAD

:krakken: GET IN HERE YOU CHUMBUCKETS:krakken:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Hmm. Would it be okay if I make a tweak and change one of my advanced move. I was going to change "I know where it hurts" for some that is more about cooking instead of damage. I want to get Work in Progress so I can mutate Maw-Meow, and if I do, I want to change his starting base stats. I was going to choose this one at my next level up, but that feels so far away right now.

Teonis fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 22, 2016

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug

irc about it

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
FYI Alumnus a three-faced coin still only has two-sides at once, but which face is on which side changes as you flip it over!

The tale of how those coins got like that is to with mortal hubris!

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
drat it. I wrote a post a work yesterday, but apparently I left work without sending it... sorry for the delay, I'll have to rewrite it.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug

Teonis posted:

Hmm. Would it be okay if I make a tweak and change one of my advanced move. I was going to change "I know where it hurts" for some that is more about cooking instead of damage. I want to get Work in Progress so I can mutate Maw-Meow, and if I do, I want to change his starting base stats. I was going to choose this one at my next level up, but that feels so far away right now.

The more you post (and fail) the faster you'll level up! :ghost:
But no it's ok go ahead and swap those moves now.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
I generally play from work, hence me forgetting to submit the post. Weekends are really hard for me to play because of family. I would tell you I'll send the post when I get to work tomorrow morning, but coincidentally I have jury duty. So it looks like I'll be posting from my phone in a courthouse.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Oh wow. No worries, man. Do what you gotta do; real life always trumps the game.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

PS:

quote:

It’s a brave monster that goes into battle alone. Most creatures fight with someone at their side, and maybe another at their back, and possibly an archer covering the rear, and so on. This can lead to multiple monsters dealing their damage at once.

If multiple creatures attack at once roll the highest damage among them and add +1 damage for each monster beyond the first.

Doing the best roll among however many extra monsters there are is from the last playtest.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Oh also Teonis it's now canon that when you make some experimental food, you add it to your inventory and give it the ~wacky~ tag if you picked "three uses with an unexpected side-effect" on a 7-9.

Tildes mandatory. :c00lbutt:

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Ramona is secretly cutting deals with the ghosts. Unless Clavo is defying her orders and opening the hatch or something there's no way he'd know what she's doing.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Ah ok, missed that.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

slydingdoor posted:

Ramona is secretly cutting deals with the ghosts. Unless Clavo is defying her orders and opening the hatch or something there's no way he'd know what she's doing.

You never said anything about closing a hatch, only about moving out of earshot.

No need to get mad.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Ok, so the engine room is haunted by a youtube comments section? Awesome. :v:

Also, can I retcon my action, If I'd known Ramona was going to negotiate I'd have just followed her lead to see where she was going with it.

Edit: since my previous action came after Ramona, I'll just stick with that and play it out from there.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 6, 2016

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Alumnus Post posted:

SERENITY AND TUTRESIEL
Tutresiel redirects the brunt of the cannon’s freezing mist, sending it billowing through the ghost-ship’s oncoming prow! The waves dimly visible behind it crinkle and flash to ice of an instant. A tiny iceberg bobs in the vessel’s wake: but ice, even this ice, is a thing of the physical world, and it does nothing at all to slow their ramming charge.

Then-- your engines turn on again. Saints be praised. But it’s too little, too late: only one of them’s working, and it’s on the wrong side. It pushes the Shrieking Harpy’s nose vaguely to port - just enough for the ram to strike you at an oblique angle instead of head on…

...and nothing happens. Its prow glides through the ship’s flank as though it were nothing but air. One end of Tutresiel’s portals quivers six inches in front of the mouth of their weapon, ringed round with weird runes, wide enough to jump through.

Which is exactly what the undead manning that cannon do.
Tutresiel, SUDDENLY SKELETONS! Your portal in front of the cannon is still open and will stay that way until you shut it. If you want to escape through it, you need to Defy Danger. What do you do?

Both portals are facing the same direction (towards the ghost ship), one a bit lower than the other, I'm not sure how the skeletons jumping through the portal would accomplish much, they'd just either fall away from our ship from a greater or lesser height.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Oh, hell. No, you're completely right. I'll fix that. I had it in my head that you needed one near you, but no. They're stupid but not that stupid.

e: the Mighty Retcon has arrived to salve you of my great derposity

Alumnus Post fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 6, 2016

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Posts are gonna be sporadic for the next couple days: moving, and setting up internet at the new place.

Vulpes Vulpes you should also totally :justpost: before I have the time to get off my lazy arse and make these poor bilgedrinkers all riot. :v:

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
paging Forums User Vulpes Vulpes: I really like your character but :frogsiren: you have a week to post again :frogsiren: before Padre and Mote meet some dire fate or another.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Hey guys, sorry I've not posted so long- work's been flat out recently and I've not looked at the forums at all. I'll get caught up and post shortly.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Hey, welcome back! :toot:

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Error404, you still with us?

e: :captainpop:

Alumnus Post fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yes. Will post tonight.

• Locked thread