Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black children
Dec 14, 2009
goons with spoons might be able to help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

social vegan posted:

I'm serious it's not a joke a lot of butter knives are too thin but thanks for not helping twice

Don't use plastic knives stolen from a drive through.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

social vegan posted:

I'm serious it's not a joke a lot of butter knives are too thin but thanks for not helping twice

if you carve your own butter or whatever spreader you can choose the wood, grain, finish, depth, length and angle/sharpness

they're not very hard, even easier than carving spoons because you don't need a hook knife for a bowl and you don't even need it to have any special curve or fit in your mouth

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

extra stout posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Outdoor-Military-4-1-Inch/dp/B004TNWD40/

literally all you need to spend for a debarking / self defense / batoning knife, the plastic sheath/belt clip is surprisingly useful too and mine shows no signs of wear yet

They are good knives but the sheaths loosen to unusable levels pretty quickly. My attempts to find aftermarket ones really pan out.

black children
Dec 14, 2009
the sheathes are borderline unusable to begin with, just make a new one. you can buy leather and rivets at any crafts store

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
idk if you guys are talking about mora 106/120 knives because they absolutely are just a sheath for the sake of not getting cut when you reach into your drawer, the one on that beefier rubber handled mora is still holding up really nicely for me

black children
Dec 14, 2009
yeah i'm just talking about the basic mora, i don't really know the numbers. and i'm also pretty dumb and full of drugs right now. my buddy had that same green mora with the rubber handle you posted, and the handle broke off within like 10 minutes of batoning with it. the tang was like maybe 3/4 of an inch long inside the handle. i dunno if they're all that way but i'd be careful using it roughly. then again if you've been bushcrafting with it for a while it's probably fine. he might have just gotten a fluke but i have to admit it was pretty dismaying

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
They are all short tang iirc. My only complaint really is the crappy sheath, I have never felt the need to hammer on a knife.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Mora is coming out with a full tang version shortly designed by Dave Canterbury called the Garberg. Still has the bare bones sheath. They have a SRT version of the Bushcraft that has additional retention loops but underneath all that it's still the same old sheath.

If you want to spend more than you did on the knife, you can go to Tandy Leather and buy a 12x12 piece of kydex for $20 and make your own sheath using your oven and watching youtube tutorials.

black children
Dec 14, 2009
or just kill a squirrel for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
my knife is pretty good, it's a 1939 Nazi bayonet. this is just my standard "walking around" all-purpose go to tool. its great for carving wood, or skinning animals, or cutting ropes, etc. it's all one solid piece of metal, so it's pretty indestructible. was it used for war crimes? :shrug: i donno my grandfather gave it to me and i didnt ask:

• Locked thread