Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Once I heard a guy say that he didn't believe Jesus was a real person because Jewish names don't end in s's. Whether or not this is true, it's like arguing that Catherine the Great didn't exist because there's no "th" sound in Russian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

HOLY gently caress posted:

We had a display for this a few months ago at my library. The sign said "I don't remember the title, but it was blue". The whole wall was filled with blue books.
One of the teachers of my "how to be a reference librarian" class managed to find a book knowing nothing more about it than that it was pink and about parachutes. File that under "The smartest poo poo I've ever heard." And it's how I learned that you can sort Google image search results by color!

(The book was "What Color is Your Parachute?")

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

mostlygray posted:

This crap drives me insane. Farmers love their animals. The videos are clearly from a place that needs to be shut down. But that's only one place. Who hasn't worked at a lovely business? Just because one gas station abuses their employees, should all gas stations be closed? Why would you hurt an animal that produces your revenue? Using one operation to define all is ridiculous. Just because one place mistreats their animals, it doesn't mean all do. I grew up as a farmer and have been to many cattle ranches and I've never seen a mistreated animal in my life from Wyoming to North Dakota. All I've ever seen are fat, happy, cow-calf or herd. I even heard programs on Wyoming radio stations talking about how to make sure you're keeping happy cattle.

Remember, a scared animal is hard to manage, full of adrenaline, and makes your job more difficult. They also have poor quality meat. The only shearing operation I've seen was so calm and smooth that the sheep didn't even need to be restrained. They were used to it and happy and they'd dance in the sun after done. No one want's a stressed animal.
There's a guy who goes around to different events (sheep and wool festivals, historic houses) and does sheep-shearing demonstrations, in fact I just saw him at a event yesterday, and he's just amazing and very knowledgeable about how to handle a sheep so it won't kick or panic while it's being sheared. With electric clippers he could shear a sheep very quickly without causing it distress (he uses a combination of hand shears and old machine shears for demonstrations). I saw one sheep rubbing up against the fence for a good scratch after getting its winter fleece off. There wasn't room for it to frolic, but it looked pretty happy. Makes me wish I had some sheep, or just lived in a place near some that I could visit.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Enos Shenk posted:

I work in retail, so I'm always amused when a customer asks for help finding something and absolutely fails at describing it.

"Hey, do you guys sell those sticks you plug things into?" Power strips

"Where are those islands with wheels you roll around?" Kitchen carts

"I need some fuel for those sticks that burn" Tiki lamp fuel

Is your customer Bob Fossil?

• Locked thread