Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
My brother recently spoke to me at great length about how fluoride is poison, it has no scientifically proven benefits and is essentially the government forcing fake medicine on us without our consent, and he wants to get some kind of water filtration system to filter out the fluoride from his tap water. He lives three states away from me and I don't talk to him that often so I don't know if he's succeeded yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
Close, it's Tulsa, Oklahoma, the armpit of the nation.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Part of Everything posted:

I wish I could just record my co-worker Dolph.

Is Dolph short for "Adolf" or "Dolphin?"

Content: When I was 19 and going to community college, the professor in Psychology class said "necrophilia" when she meant "narcolepsy." It sort of set the tone for the whole community college experience.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
I work at a Walgreens and recently I had a customer ask me about vitamins. She wanted multivitamins but not the men's or women's specific kinds. "I want a vitamin that both me and my husband can take. I can't take the men's vitamins cause I don't want hair to grow on my chest, and he can't take the women's vitamins cause then he'll grow boobs! Cause of the hormones!" My coworker and I tried to assure her that no, over the counter multivitamins do not contain hormones, but she was not listening to us.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

You Are A Elf posted:

I've had, on at least two occasions, random strangers tell me I'm evil and/or possessed by the Devil because I'm left-handed.

Being a southpaw also amazes people, apparently, especially people who have known you for years. Upon seeing me write, "YOU'RE LEFT-HANDED??!? :psyduck:" It happens more often than you think.

My sister has one brown eye and one hazel eye and when she meets new people they sometimes will go "DID YOU KNOW YOU'VE GOT TWO DIFFERENT COLORED EYES???" as if maybe she didn't know for the last 34 years.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Inzombiac posted:

Unless I am in the right lighting, I have dark brown hair and a red beard (like a freak). More often than I can count, people have accused me of dying my hair because I'm ashamed or something of being a ginger.

One a nice lady asked why I dyed my beared.

My brother suffers from a similar problem of brown hair/red beard. Wow, my sister has two different colored eyes and I am just a ginger. I didn't realize before now that my siblings and I all suffer from terrible genetic problems.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Mouse Dresser posted:

Beanies/toques on most people, and newsboy caps on some folks (you tend to need a wider, more squared jaw to carry it off, though). That's really it for younger dudes in 2016. Ladies can get away with many more styles. Except for cloche hats. Nobody looks good in a loving cloche hat in 2016. Not even a real loving princess can carry one off:

Her arm looks really fuzzy.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

CommissarMega posted:

Agreed, which i think proves my point- for whatever reason, hats these days just don't look good on people, unless it's a wide-brimmed hat on a hot day, and even then that's only acceptable if you're in the Outback and are hunting galah or something.

I am an incredibly white white person with sensitive eyes, yet I try to go hiking in the mountains/foothills of Colorado where I live, so I do have a giant stupid old-lady straw sun hat that I wear. I know I look stupid but it helps me to exercise so I don't care.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

brotato posted:

Y'all never heard of sunglasses?

Oh trust me it's giant stupid old lady hat plus giant sunglasses plus sunscreen and BINGO I am a horrible white person here I am.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

razorrozar posted:

This is some pretty loving stupid poo poo: http://thewebtrovert.com/20-incredible-female-politicians/?v=p

Their definition of "incredible" seems to be "conventionally attractive".

The dumbest thing here is the slideshow format. gently caress everyone who puts articles in slideshow format.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Leavemywife posted:

A guy I work with just told me that the Caucasian race will be gone by 2040. He and I are a "dying breed".

It's like the chain emails from your racist grandma talking about how in 60 years, France will be 90% Muslim and USA will be 90% Mexican. TERRIFYING BROWN PEOPLE ARE TAKING OVER

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
I was in an Astronomy class at a community college. The instructor was talking about the Coriolis effect and how it's a myth that water spins the opposite way in the drain in the southern hemisphere. This really annoying girl who never shut up in class pipes up with "Nuh uh! I went to Costa Rica and I saw it happen!" The instructor just kind of ignored her and moved on.

This happened like 8 years ago and I still think about it sometimes and wish I had told her Costa Rica is not in the southern hemisphere.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

cult_hero posted:

In Davis California, there's a subdivision that consists of Buckleberry, Elendil, Evenstar, Bree, and Shire streets.

There's even a Rivendell Nursery School...

http://www.prospectnewtown.com/
I live near this insufferable hipster town (that's not even a real town, just a neighborhood that thinks they are better than the town they are attached to) with some really dumb street names, including: Neon Forest Circle., 1000 Year Party Court., Half Measures Drive., Tempted Ways Drive. and Incorrigible Circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
Regarding corporate-speak from previous pages, I work for Walgreens and, among many other bullshit changes that have recently happened, they don't want us to think of Corporate as "corporate," now they are known as "Support Team." Because of course they have our best interests in mind, they're not some heartless faceless shadowy corporate entity, they are there to support us!

They are also remodeling hundreds of stores and creating a new position called "Beauty Consultant," complete with a consultation desk in the cosmetics department, so you can pretend you're buying makeup from a fancy department store instead of a Walgreens.

My store manager has 100% swallowed the corporate Kool-Aid and is constantly talking about "modifying our behaviors to line up with the company expectations" and similar poo poo. "Don't forget, we work for a Fortune 500 company and our behavior needs to reflect that." She's a huge fan of the word "behavior" recently. For gently caress's sake, we work retail, there's no life or death situations happening here.

I worked at Target for about a year too, that poo poo loving sucked. I'm just really, really ready to get out of retail.

• Locked thread