Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nopants
May 29, 2004

Spergatory posted:

I'd say Clarke takes the prize for Worst Handling of Trauma at the moment. I mean, getting drunk every night? Doing stupid poo poo that might get you killed? Tackling Canadian Pop Stars? Those are all things that even normal people do. Dying your hair red and going off to kill panthers in the wilderness? That's pretty much exclusively done by crazies.

Crazies and barbarian conquerors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Astroman posted:

They drop cool poo poo, like the fact that Clarke did indeed dye her hair with berries. the blood of her enemies :black101:

this would have been a much better explanation

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Jasper and Monty are my favorite characters, and I've gotta say I'm pretty thrilled with the directions they're going in. Monty wearing body armor and carrying a gun and being Bellamy's backup? gently caress yes. And from the previews, I'm pretty sure he's going to be forced to shoot someone pretty soon! Someone he apparently doesn't want to shoot! Reluctant Murderer Monty is my favorite Monty. :allears:

And Jasper... well, Jasper as a drunken death-seeking laughing lunatic rear end in a top hat is surprisingly entertaining. I was worried there would be no texture to his angst, but he still has his moments, like that little singalong. And even his dickery seems weirdly funny and appropriate for his character. It helps that even while he's being a dick, he's not actually rebelling against the sky people or anything. He's still basically on their side, he's just kind of cheezed about it. Which is understandable. I mean, he did just witness his best friends murder his girlfriend and her entire civilization, and then he got to spend three months watching the rest of his people thoughtlessly gorging themselves on that civilization's corpse.

People have started drinking for less.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just started watching it, Murphy's gone full Desmond.

"My back's not big enough!" :nattyburn:

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 22, 2016

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Dammit, right as Monty slammed on the brakes toward the end my local station decided to go to a 5-minute news break about how it's going to snow. Anyone care to summarize what I might have missed?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I can't get over how after we spent the whole time between seasons talking about clarke comitting copious murder and kissing girls she spends the entire first episode stabbing panthers and having gay sex, this shows so fuckin good

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Clarke still kissing girls and slaying pussypanthers, it's a good thing Bellamy has moved on with, uh, whatshername the bartender.

I feel bad for Jasper. And Monty - he just wants to help his bro. :( Lincoln can't catch a break with Octavia: now that he's ingratiated himself with the Skykru(sp?) in Arkadia she's mad that he isn't Grounder enough anymore. Sheesh! Maybe be glad he doesn't seem to be suffering from Reaper side effects anymore, huh?

I really want some screenshots of the opening credits, and of Kane's map. :buddy:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hollylolly posted:

I really want some screenshots of the opening credits, and of Kane's map. :buddy:

The opening credits were also updated to include AI mansion and what is probably the city tower of light.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Astroman posted:

This is my bet. He was literally handing him the red blue pill. It could also be how she "saved" everyone, think The Library on Doctor Who or Zanarkand in Final Fantasy X. So the CIty of Light is a VR where billions of humans have continued to live and develop civilization since everything blew up.

I want this to be true just so that Clarke can add billions to her killcount.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Basically every single character in the show has lost someone close to them, family a friend a loved one etc. And they're getting along fine. Jasper knew Maya for 3 weeks. Pull yourself together you freak.

To be fair she did melt into irradiated goo in front of his eyes

Great start for the season. Clarke is basically Conan the Barbarian now

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DarkCrawler posted:

To be fair she did melt into irradiated goo in front of his eyes

Great start for the season. Clarke is basically Conan the Barbarian now

Genghis Clarke The Barbiarian

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I like how Indra went from the Sky People's biggest hater to their biggest Grounder ally.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lycus posted:

I like how Indra went from the Sky People's biggest hater to their biggest Grounder ally.

She's seen what happens when you stand up to the Sky People.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

To be fair Jasper would also be dealing with that whole 'I brutally murdered people with an axe' thing on top of Maya/Mt Weather. Even if he was doing it to save his people that's some poo poo, man. That is some poo poo.

e: He's like a reverse Finn. Instead of turning into an unhinged spaz for kind of super flimsy reasons and then going on a murdering spree, Jasper is being an unhinged spaz after dealing with going on a murder spree. Impovement imo.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 22, 2016

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Lycus posted:

And not going 'amazing, a horseless carriage' in that terrain buggy.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
Just finished binge watching the first 2 seasons on Netflix of this about a week ago, was happy to see the S3 premiere so close. I liked the casual mention of Miller being gay in the episode, just drop that in there after 2 seasons. Premier was a nice setup with Clarke being badass and crazy Jaha's adventures.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

KTS posted:

Just finished binge watching the first 2 seasons on Netflix of this about a week ago, was happy to see the S3 premiere so close. I liked the casual mention of Miller being gay in the episode, just drop that in there after 2 seasons. Premier was a nice setup with Clarke being badass and crazy Jaha's adventures.

I also want to say I totally called Miller being gay while watching the episode literally 30 seconds before they mentioned his boyfriend.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
How did I live before seeing Murphy lose his poo poo in a bunker

I love this show

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CeeJee posted:

And not going 'amazing, a horseless carriage' in that terrain buggy.

She's seen rockets and guns, cars are not going to impress her.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ShakeZula posted:

Dammit, right as Monty slammed on the brakes toward the end my local station decided to go to a 5-minute news break about how it's going to snow. Anyone care to summarize what I might have missed?

Tree in the road in front of them and then someone dropped a tree behind trapping them.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Xoidanor posted:

She's seen rockets and guns, cars are not going to impress her.

To say nothing of the gigantic space stations that have crashed to the earth.

I think I should really rewatch seasons one and two because I do not at all remember who Bellamy's girlfriend is nor the girl on the boat. And which Battlestar Galactica cast member are we getting this season?

Some observations on a very good episode:

1) I thought it was a bit strange that the set dressings had the sky people growing plants (food presumably) in little pots when there is a clear abundance of land.
2) In case anyone isn't up on their old Greek stuff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcadia_(utopia)
3) New grounder enemy guy's face seems to have the same very high cheekbones seen in Anya. Maybe brother and sister?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This show rules.

Grounder language continues to be awesome. Nice to see that Bellamy has picked some up.

They are doing a real "Vietnam war movie" vibe with the rover crew and Jasper. Rules.

edit: Also the way that Indra says it, I misunderstood it the first time: She is saying that what Clarke did at Mount Weather weakened the Commander? Because that make sense, and is what we talked about earlier. The way she said "What Clarke did at Mount Weather weakened her", somehow I parsed it as Clarke weakening herself at first and got confused.

Snak fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 22, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Antifreeze Head posted:

1) I thought it was a bit strange that the set dressings had the sky people growing plants (food presumably) in little pots when there is a clear abundance of land.

Is it really? For me it kinda makes sense that experienced hydroponic farmers would initially opt for the semi-controlled environment of pots when they lack both tractor and cattle to efficiently work the land. It's only been 3 months since season 2.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Xoidanor posted:

Is it really? For me it kinda makes sense that experienced hydroponic farmers would initially opt for the semi-controlled environment of pots when they lack both tractor and cattle to efficiently work the land. It's only been 3 months since season 2.

Yeah, while they are probably working on growing so plants on the land, all their experience is basically plants in containers. It's not strange they are starting with what they are familiar with.

Also, they don't have strong knowledge of the seasons with regards to planting. Plots in pots remain mobile, and if it starts to get cold too fast, they have options besides just watching the frost kill their entire crop.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Antifreeze Head posted:

3) New grounder enemy guy's face seems to have the same very high cheekbones seen in Anya. Maybe brother and sister?
Yeah his facial structure is remarkably similar, considering he doesn't share any common ethnic characteristics with Anya (Dichen Lachman who is Tibetan/Australian)

That's Zach McGowan who plays Captain Charles Vane on Black Sails for those that didn't recognize him through the face-paint. Don't know if he's going to be a regular on the show, but he was a pretty bad rear end antagonist on Black Sails.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Snak posted:

Yeah, while they are probably working on growing so plants on the land, all their experience is basically plants in containers. It's not strange they are starting with what they are familiar with.

Also, they don't have strong knowledge of the seasons with regards to planting. Plots in pots remain mobile, and if it starts to get cold too fast, they have options besides just watching the frost kill their entire crop.

Also, if they had some sort of seed bank of plants that grow very large, or something like fruit trees you'd want to start them in pots anyways. Easier to handle and care for until they get big enough. You can always take them out of pots.

Hydroponics can also be really efficient.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

hollylolly posted:

Clarke still kissing girls and slaying pussypanthers, it's a good thing Bellamy has moved on with, uh, whatshername the bartender.

I feel bad for Jasper. And Monty - he just wants to help his bro. :( Lincoln can't catch a break with Octavia: now that he's ingratiated himself with the Skykru(sp?) in Arkadia she's mad that he isn't Grounder enough anymore. Sheesh! Maybe be glad he doesn't seem to be suffering from Reaper side effects anymore, huh?

Yeah, she's trying way too hard, especially considering the grounders want nothing to do with her.

KTS posted:

I liked the casual mention of Miller being gay in the episode, just drop that in there after 2 seasons.

So they did say "Miller's boyfriend." I thought I had misheard that, it was glossed over so effortlessly.

Antifreeze Head posted:

To say nothing of the gigantic space stations that have crashed to the earth.

I think I should really rewatch seasons one and two because I do not at all remember who Bellamy's girlfriend is nor the girl on the boat.

Girl on the boat is the girl that robbed them in the desert and told them where to go to find ~*~City of Light~*~.

Bellamy's girlfriend I'm pretty sure is just another character that was "always there" and suddenly started appearing, like Miller was last season.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 22, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bellamy's girlfriend is supposedly the girl they helped rescue from the cliff at the start of season 2. Also, I read that producers have confirmed that Wix, Raven's boyfriend from last season, will not be showing up. So that bit with Abbie was definitely writing him out completely.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Huh, I kinda liked Wix.

I hope that once the peace stars to fall apart anyway, they move into the god damned defensible mountain bunker.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Yeah Wick was cool :(

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

raditts posted:

Bellamy's girlfriend I'm pretty sure is just another character that was "always there" and suddenly started appearing, like Miller was last season.

I thought Miller was just added in S2 as well, he just popped up with Jasper & Monty but he was in S1 as well, helping bring Lincoln back to the camp and guarding him and wanting to beat the hell out of him. I forgot all about Vane, looking forward to his growling this season and in a few days with Black Sails.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The premiere had a 0.7 in the demo, which is 0.2 higher than the s2 premiere and higher than any season 2 episode. If you want further evidence that CBS and Warner Bros are idiots if they don't re-up with Netflix, here it is.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 22, 2016

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah Wick was cool :(

Pretty sure there was some drama surrounding his actor and some, uhhh, questionable things he said. No one outright said he was fired, but I'm pretty sure he was straight-up fired.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This is the guy that grabbed Clarke at the end. NSFW: http://www.ilikeweirdstuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/jodybutt.png

Bellamy is a really bad leader this episode.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Spergatory posted:

Pretty sure there was some drama surrounding his actor and some, uhhh, questionable things he said. No one outright said he was fired, but I'm pretty sure he was straight-up fired.

What happened?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

muscles like this? posted:

Bellamy's girlfriend is supposedly the girl they helped rescue from the cliff at the start of season 2. Also, I read that producers have confirmed that Wix, Raven's boyfriend from last season, will not be showing up. So that bit with Abbie was definitely writing him out completely.
Huh, interesting detail about Bellamy's girlfriend.

Also Miller being gay I totally glossed over and was perfectly fine with anyway how it was addressed anyway, as well as seeing some other familiar faces like Harper and that red-headed chick that took an arrow in the leg but followed the main crew around for like half of S1 back to Camp Jaha. I wish I knew her name.

Sometimes I wish they could get like an extra episode and just have the background characters sometimes.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What happened?
Pretty sure it was like flat out racist or sexist stuff so no one on the crew probably wanted anything to do with him after that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love that they are all living off Panther meat and getting it on same sex style. Meanwhile Jaha's turned into Morpheus and Murphy is totally the new Neo.

This show really is the best on CW, great loving show.

I LOVE the loose cannon Jasper.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

I love that they are all living off Panther meat and getting it on same sex style.

Get it? They both eat cat...

Vietnam PTSD Jasper rules.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Snak posted:

Huh, I kinda liked Wix.

I hope that once the peace stars to fall apart anyway, they move into the god damned defensible mountain bunker.

I have to say, after hearing the tomb comments, and "it creeps me out" I kinda want an ep where they go to the Haunted Bunker. It makes them not moving in worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Astroman posted:

I have to say, after hearing the tomb comments, and "it creeps me out" I kinda want an ep where they go to the Haunted Bunker. It makes them not moving in worth it.

I thought for sure they'd be living in it and there would be scenes of them struggling with all the death that happened there.

• Locked thread