Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Workin on a bs in computer science with a minor in math. Thinkin about getting my master's eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The masters is slowly becoming the bachelors of the 70's and 80's, might as well capitalize on it early.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
get a liberal arts degree if you want, but go into it with both eyes open. you are probably going to make the rest of your life much more difficult than it has to be.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
all i see is this

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

MurderBot posted:

The masters is slowly becoming the bachelors of the 70's and 80's, might as well capitalize on it early.

I'd wait a few years until you have enough work experience to make sure it's in a field you want and that you know how you're going to use it. And you can probably get your employer to pay for it if you don't have any GI bill money left.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

psydude posted:

I'd wait a few years until you have enough work experience to make sure it's in a field you want and that you know how you're going to use it. And you can probably get your employer to pay for it if you don't have any GI bill money left.

That's a very fair point. However, there's a handfull of degree's out there *kinesiology being one of them* that a bachelors doesn't really help you all that much, so having a masters or a PhD in a department where the majority of actual money flow is in research really helps. Bachelors in Kinesiology people do athletic training, work in doctors labs doing stress tests on old ladies or sell exercise equipment for $30k/year. While the professorship of 80k/year isn't all that great, you get to decide on what you want to research, so if you get raging boners on crossfit kind of stuff, there's enough unanswered questions on how to injure yourself the right way that you can research.

gently caress, I need to find a good PhD program, jonesing for those sweet sweet research subjects.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My calc III teacher didn't assign any homework and the 4 tests were your total grade. The first three were split into two days (class met four days a week) and the last one was just a single final. He put copies of old tests online for study aids and allowed one page front and back to take into the test. Showed up to class maybe half a dozen days that weren't test days. Copied his previous answers down on my cheat sheet and just flew through his tests. Got an A.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

MurderBot posted:

That's a very fair point. However, there's a handfull of degree's out there *kinesiology being one of them* that a bachelors doesn't really help you all that much, so having a masters or a PhD in a department where the majority of actual money flow is in research really helps. Bachelors in Kinesiology people do athletic training, work in doctors labs doing stress tests on old ladies or sell exercise equipment for $30k/year. While the professorship of 80k/year isn't all that great, you get to decide on what you want to research, so if you get raging boners on crossfit kind of stuff, there's enough unanswered questions on how to injure yourself the right way that you can research.

gently caress, I need to find a good PhD program, jonesing for those sweet sweet research subjects.

Well if I have a nervous breakdown trying to fit 2/3rds of med school into two years, I know what my fallback plan will be.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Wasn't designated at you, PA is a legit way to go, just saying that if you pursue a degree that doesn't really have much of an entry level field with an opportunity for advancement its worth going for that higher degree.

P.S nurses are willing to go down on PA'S from behind so don't fail out to get that sweet nursing poonani

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I just started courses at Southwestern Oklahoma State University this spring. I'm going to have to pay for tuition this semester (I missed the deadline for Federal Tuition Assistance; :suicide: ), but after a semester I'll be qualifying for the State Tuition Waiver, so I just need to clear the 13 hours I signed up for. I'm pretty excited to go to school again to be honest.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

ded posted:

all i see is this

i keep waiting for that titty to pop out but it never does :sigh:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

MurderBot posted:

Wasn't designated at you, PA is a legit way to go, just saying that if you pursue a degree that doesn't really have much of an entry level field with an opportunity for advancement its worth going for that higher degree.

P.S nurses are willing to go down on PA'S from behind so don't fail out to get that sweet nursing poonani

Oh I know, it's just I'm not harboring any illusions about PA school despite any confidence I have in my own abilities. It is legitimately nice to be able to dedicate your focus towards one goal while knowing if you don't hit it you still have some fall-back plans drawn up for a rainy day, and kinesiology fits my interests pretty well.

And the nurse thing? Please. Single, early 30s, making high five low six figures, hopefully no student debt, and I take picking things up and putting them down to an extreme.

Probably going to end up marrying either a neurotic cat lady RN or an emotionally distant MD whose mother's nagging about her biological clock is finally getting to her.

E: Oh yeah, first class back after a decade off is loving Math 083. The same subject that was the starting point for my original downward spiral in college which led to me enlisting. Oh yeah, and it's the winter mini-semester so the class is actually 11 days over 3 weeks. By the way this last week is literally test 2 on Tuesday, learn some more new poo poo Wednesday, then review for an hour on Thursday before taking the final. gently caress.

:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 15, 2016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My Career Manager said I have preferential hiring for government and RCMP, but I'm terrified of entering the workforce at 28 with no skills other than driving, comms and surveying.

Is it worth switching to a STEM degree?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Do you want to do STEM or work in a STEM field? Canada may be different, but with the exception of certain occupations, nobody gives a poo poo what your degree is in (especially if it's only a bachelor's). They only care that you have one and that you have work experience. So any internships you pick up along the way will be a bigger player.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 15, 2016

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Well, the bomb throwers in the Columbia veterans group won; last night the president and vice president resigned because they said mean things about people in a private chat. Now we have a safe space. For vets.

Also, we have an insanely expensive ball coming up next month and, from my vantage point, nobody directing it. Good job Teahadists.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Just started at Kennesaw State University in Georgia. In the Mechanical Engineering program.

Still have a couple gen ed classes to take, and I want to give the inventor of yoga pants a loving Nobel Prize.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Deathy McDeath posted:

Well, the bomb throwers in the Columbia veterans group won; last night the president and vice president resigned because they said mean things about people in a private chat. Now we have a safe space. For vets.

Also, we have an insanely expensive ball coming up next month and, from my vantage point, nobody directing it. Good job Teahadists.

What a loving train wreck

Maybe we should carry puss pads with us across campus for the rest of semester. Or like an
Entire A-bag full of regs and FMs.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

im calling shenanigans on this one

If the alternative is saving up the same amount of money for college (+BAH +Books +paid grad school) by cleaning public restrooms (my previous occupation), I'll take two pumps and THE TITLE everytime.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Workin' on a BS in CS. Got a really interesting email today (a week before the semester starts) with a big ol' weenie in it, so who knows what school I'll be at a week from now! Most everyone at this school is super duper helpful to work with, with the exception of the administrators. Eat all the dicks, administrators, and learn to loving read.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

I've been at uni for the last 2.5 years. I've only met two prior service guys, both in the gym. I don't think there are any student vet organisations, but that's probably cos Australia doesn't have the hero-worship thing of military that the USA does and no-one really gives a poo poo about the military and ex-service people (except for two days a year).

Having very little to do with mil-folk is the best, no drama whatsoever.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

psydude posted:

Do you want to do STEM or work in a STEM field? Canada may be different, but with the exception of certain occupations, nobody gives a poo poo what your degree is in (especially if it's only a bachelor's). They only care that you have one and that you have work experience. So any internships you pick up along the way will be a bigger player.

I thought I had to in this economy. It was hard enough adjusting to an arts program, I was not looking forward to a meatgrinder of a program in STEM.

What kind of internships should I look out for?

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
I'm on my second quarter toward a BA in human services, minor in psych. I've fielded some tempting overtures from yoga-pant-clad early 20-somethings with obvious daddy issues. That age/2 +7 formula says I can't go for anyone under 32, though.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

GreenMeat posted:

That age/2 +7 formula says I can't go for anyone under 32, though.

:stare:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I did my BS/MS in Sociology with a focus on research methodology and program evaluation. Now I am a medical researcher SME and consultant. I make good money and I really enjoy my work. Next year I'll be breaking six figures without counting bonuses or my disability goodies.

I am the only one in my graduate program that stacked as many research/statistics classes as I could, and took on research assistant positions. I am the only one in my graduate program that found real employment. I think the two are related.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Greenmeat is a dinosaur and retired master sgt or something like that.

But gently caress that rule, green. Hit that poo poo. Just don't date the crazy.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Frosted Flake posted:

I thought I had to in this economy. It was hard enough adjusting to an arts program, I was not looking forward to a meatgrinder of a program in STEM.

hes right, there are a ton of jobs for people with degrees in bullshit and no skills. take a look at what they are and see if youre remotely interested in doing them.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Getting dat BA in History with a secondary education licensure for social studies. All vets at my school, MSU Denver, are retarded libertarians and have never seen Iraq without a Taco Bell. Mentioning my V card is basically an invitation to be ear hosed by a reservist about Obama taking my guns.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Naked Bear posted:

Most everyone at this school is super duper helpful to work with, with the exception of the administrators. Eat all the dicks, administrators, and learn to loving read.

That's the weirdest part for me. After dealing with the military for so long it's absolutely amazing to have people who are actually willing to help.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
pretty goddamn sure the rule of 7 is only about being in a relationship with someone. smashing some slizz is just 18+

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There was some guy in my German class who wore at least one Marine Corps Veteran piece of apparel every day, and had a bunch of hardcore tattoos. He was supposed to be in our group for the final project along with some other guy, both stopped showing up the last week of class.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

pretty goddamn sure the rule of 7 is only about being in a relationship with someone. smashing some slizz is just 18+

Stands to reason. I've got no issues with wearing em out then dropping them at mom's with a juice box and a couple fruit rollups.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Internships related to whatever field you're trying to work in. Paid look better than unpaid.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

psydude posted:

Internships related to whatever field you're trying to work in. Paid look better than unpaid.

Echoing this. If you don't do an internship (at least one, preferably as many as you can) then your chances of getting even an entry level STEM position is slim. Why would an employer want to hire someone without practical experience when there's hundreds of graduates fighting for one job, most of which have at least some?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Vasudus posted:

Echoing this. If you don't do an internship (at least one, preferably as many as you can) then your chances of getting even an entry level STEM position is slim. Why would an employer want to hire someone without practical experience when there's hundreds of graduates fighting for one job, most of which have at least some?

And I'll third this; it was true in the mid-'00s so I can only assume it's even more so true today. Literally everyone I knew in college did at least one and most did multiple; this is both STEM and non-STEM programs. Only people who didn't were the ROTC folks, but that's the exception that proves the rule (no need to worry about employment prospects if you've got a "guaranteed" job lined up post-graduation...and even then a lot of them did them if they could fit them in around the ROTC time sinks.)

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I work with a good many hiring managers, from commuter airlines, high end car dealers, small engineering firms, architects and a lot of other fields (including a minor league baseball team once). I get more resumes sent to me for serious vetting for people who have much more experience than the job posting asked for but also often with less education than they were looking for.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
From star wars thread

Lazy Reservist posted:

OK, wookieepedia says the Death Star has a diameter of 120 km, which gives a surface area of around 45,000 km. At a minimum, the 15,000 turbolasers would be 3 km apart. Assuming the towers are 50 m tall, this gives them a range to horizon of around 1.5 km, which would make interlocking fields of fire possible.

I figure some math sperg already beat me to the answer, which is why those numbers are on wookieepedia.

OK, I did some more math and a gun that's 2 m above the surface would have about a third of a km range to horizon. From that, to ensure complete coverage, there would need to be around 130,000 guns.

This is what your STEM degree gets you

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I would be enjoying this 3 day weekend a lot more if there was actually something to do on campus

Why is there a 3 day weekend on the second week of spr16 jesus

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

NTT posted:

I would be enjoying this 3 day weekend a lot more if there was actually something to do on campus

Why is there a 3 day weekend on the second week of spr16 jesus

What the gently caress? Why the poo poo do you want be on campus for a 3 day weekend?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The only cool thing with being on campus for non academic needs while school is out is to go to the library and take a poo poo in solitude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Staying on campus for a 3-day is exactly the same as staying on post for a 3-day. Why would you do that? Go bang some chick and crash at hers.

• Locked thread