Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
METATERREN
Jul 3, 2015

I enjoy putting things in my mouth.
That only pussy fools don't overcome the tendency for 'first-perfect' writing thoughtforms.

All good writers, copywriters, and rich people write everything crazy down and -- if beneficial and opportunistic -- edit and polish later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It's true.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
ahahfhadcnajdahduewhjkadbcnmafjadse

edit: ill make this post better later

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

:yeah:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
hoooolhy poo poo. what if speckled hens were immediately assumed to be

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
My biggest takeaway from famous authors is that no matter how big you get listen to your editor. Too often I read authors that start off amazing, but the quality of their books begins to decline in proportion to how popular they are, and I think a big part of it is that the author knows they can get away with ignoring their editor's advice because their books are going to get published anyway.

I'm a big believer in the sanctity of "artistic vision" but I've read enough crap by acclaimed authors to know that an author who does his own editing has a fool for a client.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Applewhite posted:

My biggest takeaway from famous authors is that no matter how big you get listen to your editor. Too often I read authors that start off amazing, but the quality of their books begins to decline in proportion to how popular they are, and I think a big part of it is that the author knows they can get away with ignoring their editor's advice because their books are going to get published anyway.

I'm a big believer in the sanctity of "artistic vision" but I've read enough crap by acclaimed authors to know that an author who does his own editing has a fool for a client.

This is why the Original Star Wars trilogy was better than the prequels!

All I've learned from my favorite writers is that I was born too late & not nearly manly enough to write books. edit, nor paranoid schizo enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

RizieN posted:

All I've learned from my favorite writers is that I was born too late

There has never been a better time in history to be an author (other than like five years ago)

quote:

& not nearly manly enough to write books

Well that might be true.

• Locked thread