Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I hate Eddy Redmayne. I just hate him.

That is all.

I once thought I saw Eddie Redmayne at a Food Market but it was actually just a fish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Seriously, one of the most harmful and hosed up things you can possibly do when making a biopic about an LGBT person is erase their LGBT-ness and portray it as a kink. You are literally setting back decades of progress if you make a work that does that, even moreso if it actually becomes acclaimed.

Redmayne isn't even playing a LGBT person, he's playing a crazy person in this poo poo movie. It's not as horrible as Emmerich's Stonewall, but that isn't saying much.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

LORD OF BUTT posted:

even discounting the shittiness of casting a cis dude to play a trans woman.

I haven't seen the movie and won't defend it, but are you really suggesting that you can only cast a trans woman to play a trans woman? Because I don't know of any Hollywood-caliber trans women.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Skeesix posted:

I haven't seen the movie and won't defend it, but are you really suggesting that you can only cast a trans woman to play a trans woman? Because I don't know of any Hollywood-caliber trans women.

What about Brandon Teena?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

MorgaineDax posted:

I missed Spotlight, but Room was fantastic. The kid deserved a nomination just as much as Brie Larson, IMO.

Spotlight, I can confirm, was good; while being about a Very Important Issue (ie the reveal of widespread, systematic child abuse in the Catholic church by the Spotlight team of the Boston Globe in the early Aughts), it cleaves close to the history of the event it's about (I didn't notice any egregious errors, anyway) and focused on the value of journalistic integrity without delving too too much into romanticism, with one major exception. The cast was really solid in the way the all worked with and had chemistry with each other, but I can't really say any of the actors really stood above any other; like most stories about events rather than people, there's no real actor that gets to be the focus of the story, so it presents a conundrum to the esteemed Academy about how to deal with an ensemble cast. Hell, they tapped Mark Ruffalo as Supporting Actor, which I don't understand at all, because he was the weakest actor; he wasn't bad, but I thought he played his role a little too broadly, like he was playing for stage instead of screen (he gets the only great, big, Oscar-bait, made for movies, mad-as-hell-and-not-gonna-take-it-anymore speech that gets played in all the railers, and that's the Exception I talk about when dealing with the movie's tone).

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

cat doter posted:

I didn't even hear about room and spotlight until a few days ago, are they any good? I watched all the best picture noms last year and was kind of annoyed by how lovely a lot of them were

Both are worth checking out. Spotlight is likely gonna win Best Picture (although Revenant could pull it off too). I've seen the nominees, and Spotlight was also my personal favorite.

Doughbaron
Apr 28, 2005
Carol not getting best picture or director noms is really surprising to me. Jason Segal should be in the best actor category, but almost no one saw The End of the Tour. Ruffalo should have been nominated for Infinitely Polar Bear, not Spotlight. As everyone said, Sicario got snubbed in many categories. Brooklyn should lose all its nominations.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Codependent Poster posted:

Why not nominate Star Wars for best movie? You have 10 spots. It would at least allow them to look like they somewhat care about what audiences like and watch.

I mean, it's a bit silly there's such a disconnect between the audience and the Academy voters. The highest grossing movie ever in like 3 weeks, which has gotten universal praise through audiences and reviewers isn't nominated for anything but technical awards.

It just makes the Academy Awards look silly. At least a nomination would be some acknowledgement of its success.

Best Picture nominations are determined primarily by 1st place votes. If a film is not ranked very highly by those voting, it simply won't get nominated. So a movie that a lot of people like, but very few passionately support (eg Star Wars TFA) has no chance of getting in.

I think Disney was pushing Inside Out for a longshot Best Picture nomination (in addition to Bridge of Spies, which they co-produced).

Doughbaron posted:

Jason Segal should be in the best actor category, but almost no one saw The End of the Tour.

Yup.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ViggyNash posted:

because I think it's an undeniably bad movie and I'm utterly confused at it's universal praise

i'm gonna go with it was pretty good and not undeniably bad (? lmao). this loving sub sometimes

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It was a good Star Wars movie, which is certainly refreshing after a decade and a half of garbage, but it was not best picture of the year by any stretch, even in the genre of action films (for action films, that's Mad Max).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i concur

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Who will they give the Oscar to instead of Dicaprio? Please don't reward desperation, thanks.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Judakel posted:

Who will they give the Oscar to instead of Dicaprio? Please don't reward desperation, thanks.

They're going to give it to Eddie Redmayne, the worst possible choice.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Proposition Joe posted:

Bryan Craaaanston.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Judakel posted:

Bryan Craaaanston.

I would have no qualms with Bryan Cranston winning because he did a decent job and gave one of the better performances in the category? And while you might be down on Leonardo DiCaprio he deserves, and will probably win, the Oscar because he also did a decent job and the competition for best actor is not nearly as competitive as the previous years he was nominated in acting categories.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Judakel posted:

What do you hate about it? I am mixed on Star Wars.

The writing, mainly. Kylo Ren is an atrocious villain, the big bad alien dude he's working for has no personality, Rey's backstory was slightly developed then totally ignored, and Rey herself is neither an interesting protagonist nor a generic hero character you could get behind like Luke. The second thing is that the second half of the movie was incredibly boring, partly because it was so derivative and also because a faction that seemed like it would play a major role, the new Republic, was casually flicked out of the story with no buildup. The ending assault was not interesting to watch, and the lightsaber battle was pitifully choreographed.

I think ultimately the direction JJ tried to take his new trilogy in didn't work for me at all. It didn't help that the movie shoved in your face the fact that you won't get the whole story until you watch the rest of the trilogy, which goes for things like Luke showing up at the very end to be Rey's master after she magically figures out her powers for no discernible reason or Rey's intentionally unfinished backstory. It's the same feeling I had when I discovered that The Hobbit wasn't going to be finished in one movie (I had no idea it would be a trilogy), but multiplied ten-fold.

Also, JJ killed off Han Solo.

He killed off motherfucking Han Solo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Skeesix posted:

Laverne Cox? Jamie Clayton? Mya Taylor? Kiki Rodriguez? Those are just the first four coming to mind who have been in things and received acclaim lately, I highly doubt they're the only trans actresses in existence.

e: actually, Jamie Clayton would have been a pretty good choice to play Lili Elbe.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Proposition Joe posted:

I would have no qualms with Bryan Cranston winning because he did a decent job and gave one of the better performances in the category? And while you might be down on Leonardo DiCaprio he deserves, and will probably win, the Oscar because he also did a decent job and the competition for best actor is not nearly as competitive as the previous years he was nominated in acting categories.

He should not get an Oscar for stunts and grunting. It was the nature of the role, but it is nonetheless true that it was not a showcase for great acting. It is such a dull category this year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

centaurtainment posted:

What about Brandon Teena?

:mmmhmm:

ViggyNash posted:

Also, JJ killed off Han Solo.

He killed off motherfucking Han Solo.

Ford wanted out after Empire. They put him in carbonite because he hadn't committed to a third film.

He only came back for the money and it shows. He doesn't want to be there. He hates you. He hates all weeaboo star wars fanclub fucks.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ford wanted out after Empire. They put him in carbonite because he hadn't committed to a third film.

He only came back for the money and it shows. He doesn't want to be there. He hates you. He hates all weeaboo star wars fanclub fucks.

Ford is a legendary curmudgeon, of course he hates you.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Han Solo should have died in Empire.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Proposition Joe posted:

They already did, so I doubt they'd go for a two-fer, especially for the same kinda treacly Oscar-bait movie.

Anyhow, I like Eddie Redmayne, I ain't even care. He was the best thing about Jupiter Ascending, because he knew exactly what kind of movie that was and tailored his performance to match, and I had a blast.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

resurgam40 posted:

Anyhow, I like Eddie Redmayne, I ain't even care. He was the best thing about Jupiter Ascending, because he knew exactly what kind of movie that was and tailored his performance to match, and I had a blast.

Even though they're nothing alike, I seem to mentally link his character with General Zod's "I WILL FIND HIM" line.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not much of a Star Wars fanboy. It's just Ford was one of the only things I liked in the new movie.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

The Danish Girl looks like the biggest bunch of Oscar bait bullshit I've seen in years. I felt embarrassed seeing the trailer in a theater full of white west coast liberals. Felt so pandered to.

I'd love to see it to see how right I am.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Eddie Redmayne winning another Oscar and beating Leo would be so outrageous and awful I kind of want it to happen.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm only familiar with Eddie Redmayne from Pillars of the Earth; I haven't seen Les Mis, Theory of Everything, Jupiter, or Danish. I get the impression that none of those movies were amazing. I don't blame him for taking Oscar-baity roles. He's a conventionally handsome actor with a very "period drama" look to him. Of course, that doesn't explain Jupiter Ascending.

That being said, when I see other men bash Eddie Redmayne, I think that's the closest I'll get to understanding why women hate on young actresses like Jennifer Lawrence or Anne Hathaway for doing little to earn that malice.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 16, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

and I hate the way he looks.

Also his name, I hate that, too.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Laverne Cox? Jamie Clayton? Mya Taylor? Kiki Rodriguez? Those are just the first four coming to mind who have been in things and received acclaim lately, I highly doubt they're the only trans actresses in existence.

e: actually, Jamie Clayton would have been a pretty good choice to play Lili Elbe.

As much as I like Laverne Cox on Orange is the New Black, she hasn't shown the chops to go beyond a supporting character in a major motion picture. Jamie Clayton is 38 years old. I've never heard of the latter two.

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 16, 2016

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Sicario will win best score.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ViggyNash posted:

Kylo Ren is an atrocious villain

O_O

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skeesix posted:

As much as I like Laverne Cox on Orange is the New Black, she hasn't shown the chops to go beyond a supporting character in a major motion picture. Jamie Clayton is 38 years old. I've never heard of the latter two.

What's the relevant of being 38 years old? Or were you just sharing the one thing you knew?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Teflon Don posted:

Sicario will win best score.

I dunno, Hateful 8 has the benefit of Ennio Morricone never getting an Oscar before, so the "it's his turn" factor is pretty strong.

Thankfully it is an amazing score too, so it's not unwarranted.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Echo Chamber posted:

I don't blame him for taking Oscar-baity roles. He's a conventionally handsome actor with a very "period drama" look to him. Of course, that doesn't explain Jupiter Ascending.

Jupiter Ascending is very much the definition of Space Opera so it makes sense in that sense.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Skeesix posted:

The latter two were in Tangerine, which is fantastic.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I dunno, Hateful 8 has the benefit of Ennio Morricone never getting an Oscar before, so the "it's his turn" factor is pretty strong.

Thankfully it is an amazing score too, so it's not unwarranted.

They gave him an honorary Oscar a few years back as consolation already, but yeah it would be nice if he finally got one "for real".

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Skeesix posted:

Because I don't know of any Hollywood-caliber trans women.

Huh, how weird. It's almost as if they're a horribly underrepresented demographic in mainstream film? Whodathunkit?

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The latter two were in Tangerine, which is fantastic.

For real. They gave the performances of a lifetime and Oscar voters decided they needed to nominate Eddie loving Redmayne in drag. And you can bet they're gonna jerk themselves off now about how progressive they are.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!
How many trans actresses are both pre-surgery and pre-HRT therapy? Rag on The Danish Girl all you want, because it's not a great movie, and Redmayne isn't particularly great in it, but it makes little sense to cast a trans woman in the role, when it takes place before surgery and hormone therapy was a thing. He does full-frontal scenes in the movie. Even Laverne Cox's character pre-transition in OITNB was played by her cis male brother. It would make more sense and be more interesting had Gerda been played by a trans actress instead.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

MorgaineDax posted:

How many trans actresses are both pre-surgery and pre-HRT therapy? Rag on The Danish Girl all you want, because it's not a great movie, and Redmayne isn't particularly great in it, but it makes little sense to cast a trans woman in the role, when it takes place before surgery and hormone therapy was a thing. He does full-frontal scenes in the movie. Even Laverne Cox's character pre-transition in OITNB was played by her cis male brother. It would make more sense and be more interesting had Gerda been played by a trans actress instead.

It's less that and it's more that there is phenomenal work being done by actual trans artists that is being consistently ignored by mainstream outlets in favor of heaping praise on Jared Leto and Eddie Redmayne for being so "brave" to play these roles that many trans writers have repeatedly criticized.

It's honestly kind of jarring when you look at the diversity of Emmy nominees versus the consistently tone deaf Oscar and Golden Globes.

edit: Basically, we're all mad that the most boring, establishment people have chosen to award the most boring, establishment films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Literally nobody in the media has called Redmayne brave for doing the role, don't set up strawmen for yourself to tear down.

Speaking as a film programmer, there are very few "diverse" films that are actually excellent any given year. Creed, Carol, Compton, Tangerine... What else can you really think of?

The Oscars are self-masturbatory garbage, but the root of the problem is the industry.

• Locked thread