Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Tina Fey agrees with me that the Oscars were too much preachy bullshit.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/03/03/tina-fey-oscars-had-too-much-yelling-about-causes/

Tina Fey, guys. Checkmate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tina Fey's a talentless hack who hasn't made a single good movie and somehow thinks she's above "the culture of apology."

All that means is she doesn't want to be disturbed during her little moments of racism.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Vegetable posted:

Tina Fey's a talentless hack who hasn't made a single good movie and somehow thinks she's above "the culture of apology."

All that means is she doesn't want to be disturbed during her little moments of racism.

Nuh uh.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Vegetable posted:

None of us do.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GORDON posted:

It rhymes with myopic. It always has... but that was before the dark times. Before the Millennials.

They changed everything and made it stupid.

Except that's wrong.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vegetable posted:

I'm sad to say if you don't like Mean Girls you might not have a soul.

:(

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Kangra posted:

Well, /bi-OP-ic/ is clearly a different word. It derives from bi, meaning 'two', op or ob meaning 'across, through', and ic meaning 'related to'. In other words, 'a thing related to two [people] going across or through something'. In the pages of movie magazines, it naturally refers to road movies. There's a false folk etymology that the term derives as a shortening of 'Bing-Hope-picture' but that is unsupported nonsense. Confusion of 'bio-pic' and 'biopic' is compounded by people on the internet making things up on the spot.

I think I heard about that on the Lexicon Valley podcast

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

esperterra posted:

Except that's wrong.

The only evidence I can provide that says I am right is the definitive American pronunciation from Cambridge, but aside from that, you are correct.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I hope this byopic lets me make tons of me-mes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GORDON posted:

The only evidence I can provide that says I am right is the definitive American pronunciation from Cambridge, but aside from that, you are correct.

Americans suck at the English language. News at 11.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Spoken can be either. BYEOHpic is probably the scholar's variant, while biAWWPIC seems to be used often by common folk. Spoken from a written source will depend on what's written: bio-pic (BYEOHpic) or biopic (biAWWPIC). For me the hyphen is the difference, either recognizing the origin of the blended words or ignoring it.

Welcome to language, a living thing that people only casually agree upon. Next can we argue about 'gray' vs 'grey' ?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bi AH pic is a loving travesty and people who pronounce it that way should be removed from the gene pool.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Best Picture catch-up update:

The Broadway Melody is probably one of the most banal old movies I've seen. It doesn't have much of a story and it's obviously a model for musicals that came afterward. Cinematically, it's dead. There's probably less than 100 shots in the entire film, the sound editing is garbage, and there's random intertitles and location footage.

No idea why this won Best Picture while the vastly superior Applause, also set on the stage, wasn't even nominated from the same year.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

Best Picture catch-up update:

The Broadway Melody is probably one of the most banal old movies I've seen. It doesn't have much of a story and it's obviously a model for musicals that came afterward. Cinematically, it's dead. There's probably less than 100 shots in the entire film, the sound editing is garbage, and there's random intertitles and location footage.

No idea why this won Best Picture while the vastly superior Applause, also set on the stage, wasn't even nominated from the same year.

It was funny how they threw intertitles into a sound film. Definitely stuck between two eras. I have a feeling back then a lot of people would've liked that love quadrangle going on between the two girls, their friend and the new rich man in town.

So how many best pictures do you have left to see?

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

The Korean guy who presented with Sofia Vergara, he was wearing shoes that would put Marco Rubio's heels to shame. He's listed as 5'10.

But Vergara is 5'7 and was 2" taller than him on stage, which means he himself is around 5'6-5'7.

You don't think people will notice the person you list as 5'10 is actually 3-4" shorter you lying fucks?!

lol?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Zogo posted:

It was funny how they threw intertitles into a sound film. Definitely stuck between two eras. I have a feeling back then a lot of people would've liked that love quadrangle going on between the two girls, their friend and the new rich man in town.

So how many best pictures do you have left to see?

Intertitles can work fine in sound films, but here it just came off as half-assed. Just the few bits of location footage stick out as shoehorned.

Here's the BP's I haven't seen yet:
Cimarron (got DVD for The Devil's Cabaret short), Cavalcade, The Great Ziegfeld (just got from Netflix), The Life of Emile Zola, You Can't Take It With You, Mrs. Miniver, Going My Way, The Lost Weekend, The Best Years of Our Lives, Gentleman's Agreement, Hamlet, All the King's Men, From Here to Eternity, Gigi, Tom Jones, In the Heat of the Night, Ordinary People, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, Terms of Endearment, Out of Africa, Platoon, Unforgiven (got the Blu-Ray), Schindler's List, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Gladiator, Crash (lol), The Hurt Locker, 12 Years a Slave, Birdman, and Spotlight.

However, I've seen 142 of just nominated films.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Egbert Souse posted:

Intertitles can work fine in sound films, but here it just came off as half-assed. Just the few bits of location footage stick out as shoehorned.

Cimarron (got DVD for The Devil's Cabaret short), Cavalcade, The Great Ziegfeld (just got from Netflix), The Life of Emile Zola, You Can't Take It With You, Mrs. Miniver, Going My Way, The Lost Weekend, The Best Years of Our Lives, Gentleman's Agreement, Hamlet, All the King's Men, From Here to Eternity, Gigi, Tom Jones, In the Heat of the Night, Ordinary People, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, Terms of Endearment, Out of Africa, Platoon, Unforgiven (got the Blu-Ray), Schindler's List, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Gladiator, Crash (lol), The Hurt Locker, 12 Years a Slave, Birdman, and Spotlight.

12 Years a Slave and Unforgiven are worth watching. Otherwise, ehhh....

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

12 Years a Slave and Unforgiven are worth watching. Otherwise, ehhh....

Platoon, Hurt Locker and Spotlight are great. Birdman lacks substance but it's cool what they pulled off.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Gladiator kicks rear end.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Schindler's List is a great movie and American Beauty is worth a watch. Plenty of people's opinions on it have changed because the 'lol isn't suburbia hosed?' thing has been done to death since but I still think it's a good movie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'll vouch for The Lost Weekend being pretty good. Gladiator is fun and Unforgiven is a masterpiece.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I'd forgotten Gigi won an Oscar. I still don't know why Gigi won and Oscar.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I saw the musical of Gigi; I thought that was pretty cute. :shobon:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Oh man, Unforgiven is so loving great. Everyone should watch it now.

I'd put off watching Gladiator, Shakespeare in Love, The Hurt Locker, and Crash. Preferably until you're about 95 years old and your dementia has rotted your brain to the point those movies are no longer retarded trash.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What do people have against The Hurt Locker, exactly?

Like it's by no means one of my favorites, but I've know a few people that absolutely hate it and I've never really understood why.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Oh man, Unforgiven is so loving great. Everyone should watch it now.

I'd put off watching Gladiator, Shakespeare in Love, The Hurt Locker, and Crash. Preferably until you're about 95 years old and your dementia has rotted your brain to the point those movies are no longer retarded trash.

imho Gladiator is worth it for Joaquin Phoenix alone

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I prefer Gladiator 2.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

MonsieurChoc posted:

I prefer Gladiator 2.

That script sounded so great I wish they'd have made it.

Un forgiven and 12 Years a Slave and Schindlers List are all great. I need to see more on that list. I don't think Shakespere and Forrest Gump should have won but whatever. I forgive Shakespere.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Raxivace posted:

What do people have against The Hurt Locker, exactly?

Like it's by no means one of my favorites, but I've know a few people that absolutely hate it and I've never really understood why.

Tactical Realism.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What do people have against Gladiator?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Gentleman's Agreement and The Best Years of Our Lives are worth a watch if you'd like to see how these topics (casual racism & treatment of war veterans, respectively) were handled at the time.

There was a podcast (Highbrow!Lowbrow?) that compared the best picture winner to the top-grossing movie of the year. I think Cavalcade was their pick as the worst, or at least the one they considered by far the greatest contrast (since the box office choice was King Kong).

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

resurgam40 posted:

I saw the musical of Gigi; I thought that was pretty cute. :shobon:

Oh yeah. It's a fine film, definitely not one of the winners that makes you question the entire value of an Academy Award with how bad it actually is. I just don't think it's all that exceptional in general, or even within it's particular genre of big movie musicals, so I wonder what forces were in play that pushed it to win.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Josh Lyman posted:

What do people have against Gladiator?

It's fun but dumb as hell compared to superior nominees Traffic and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Erin Brokovitch is the inferior Soderbergh film of the year and nobody remembers anything about Chocolat.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Cacator posted:

It's fun but dumb as hell compared to superior nominees Traffic and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Erin Brokovitch is the inferior Soderbergh film of the year and nobody remembers anything about Chocolat.

I remember Chocolat as being extremely anti-Catholic.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Chocolat is Pollyanna with a mysterious and sexy woman instead of a relentlessly upbeat child. The villain's particularly strict interpretation of Catholicism is the stand-in for repression in general, but part of the climax is the priest giving a sermon about how it's o.k. with god to be happy and enjoy things so I wouldn't say it's really anti-Catholic.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

there wolf posted:

Chocolat is Pollyanna with a mysterious and sexy woman instead of a relentlessly upbeat child. The villain's particularly strict interpretation of Catholicism is the stand-in for repression in general, but part of the climax is the priest giving a sermon about how it's o.k. with god to be happy and enjoy things so I wouldn't say it's really anti-Catholic.

Except that it acts like the practice of Lenten self-denial is a 24/7 thing for Catholics, when it's only during the period between Ash Wednesday and Easter. Self-denial for a small period of time to give a person better perspective what matters in life is a pretty universal thing, but it's rejected in favor of outright hedonism.

I'll quote Roger Ebert here:

Roger Ebert posted:

I enjoyed the movie on its own sweet level, while musing idly on the box-office prospects of a film in which the glowing, life-affirming local Christians prevailed over glowering, prejudiced, puritan and bitter Druid worshippers. That'll be--as John Wayne once said--the day.

The equivalent I would use is, would you like this movie if it was about a Southern Baptist moving to Riyadh and opening a pork BBQ joint during Ramadan?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

I just need to see Spotlight. I checked and I've seen 239 nominated films.

You Can't Take It With You is one I'm surprised isn't more popular based on its message that's pretty universal/timeless and still resonates in 2016. Tom Jones is interesting when viewed as some kind of relic. Feels like Looney Tunes meets Barry Lyndon. Cavalcade is a decent history lesson but mostly events that were completely drowned out by WWII.

My three favorites from your list of unseen:
The Lost Weekend - An honest look at addiction.
Chariots of Fire
Gandhi - Lots of wisdom in this one.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Armyman25 posted:

Except that it acts like the practice of Lenten self-denial is a 24/7 thing for Catholics, when it's only during the period between Ash Wednesday and Easter. Self-denial for a small period of time to give a person better perspective what matters in life is a pretty universal thing, but it's rejected in favor of outright hedonism.

I'll quote Roger Ebert here:

The equivalent I would use is, would you like this movie if it was about a Southern Baptist moving to Riyadh and opening a pork BBQ joint during Ramadan?

No it doesn't. The Lenten season is just an immediate and obvious conflict between the mayor and the protagonist, but there are a ton of other little things that show that the towns people are repressed and uptight in general. More importantly the film has that mayor, not the Church, be the driving force behind all the repression and his worldview gets trashed by the actual priest at the end. Look, I'm totally on board with Ebert's point about how loving tired the general trope of "*insert dominant religion* is making people repressed and miserable until the designated free spirit walks into town to save them all" is; I'm even on board with the idea that the Western tradition of pitting some stripe of Christianity up against some hippie pagan riff on Eastern or folk religions is likely rooted more in having a bone to pick with the faith you're familiar with than extolling the virtues of the lesser-known one. If you want to say that the film is passively/subtly anti-Catholic because it employs those stupid tropes so heavily that's fine, but any active, overt anti-Catholic sentiments are fully buried or negated by this toothless, feel-good pile of fluff.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

there wolf posted:

No it doesn't. The Lenten season is just an immediate and obvious conflict between the mayor and the protagonist, but there are a ton of other little things that show that the towns people are repressed and uptight in general. More importantly the film has that mayor, not the Church, be the driving force behind all the repression and his worldview gets trashed by the actual priest at the end. Look, I'm totally on board with Ebert's point about how loving tired the general trope of "*insert dominant religion* is making people repressed and miserable until the designated free spirit walks into town to save them all" is; I'm even on board with the idea that the Western tradition of pitting some stripe of Christianity up against some hippie pagan riff on Eastern or folk religions is likely rooted more in having a bone to pick with the faith you're familiar with than extolling the virtues of the lesser-known one. If you want to say that the film is passively/subtly anti-Catholic because it employs those stupid tropes so heavily that's fine, but any active, overt anti-Catholic sentiments are fully buried or negated by this toothless, feel-good pile of fluff.

There is nothing passive or subtle about Chocolat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Armyman25 posted:

There is nothing passive or subtle about Chocolat.

If Chocalot is your standard barer for anti-papist propaganda, then you've lived a blessed life.

• Locked thread