Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

MorgaineDax posted:

I missed Spotlight, but Room was fantastic. The kid deserved a nomination just as much as Brie Larson, IMO.

Spotlight, I can confirm, was good; while being about a Very Important Issue (ie the reveal of widespread, systematic child abuse in the Catholic church by the Spotlight team of the Boston Globe in the early Aughts), it cleaves close to the history of the event it's about (I didn't notice any egregious errors, anyway) and focused on the value of journalistic integrity without delving too too much into romanticism, with one major exception. The cast was really solid in the way the all worked with and had chemistry with each other, but I can't really say any of the actors really stood above any other; like most stories about events rather than people, there's no real actor that gets to be the focus of the story, so it presents a conundrum to the esteemed Academy about how to deal with an ensemble cast. Hell, they tapped Mark Ruffalo as Supporting Actor, which I don't understand at all, because he was the weakest actor; he wasn't bad, but I thought he played his role a little too broadly, like he was playing for stage instead of screen (he gets the only great, big, Oscar-bait, made for movies, mad-as-hell-and-not-gonna-take-it-anymore speech that gets played in all the railers, and that's the Exception I talk about when dealing with the movie's tone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Proposition Joe posted:

They're going to give it to Eddie Redmayne, the worst possible choice.

They already did, so I doubt they'd go for a two-fer, especially for the same kinda treacly Oscar-bait movie.

Anyhow, I like Eddie Redmayne, I ain't even care. He was the best thing about Jupiter Ascending, because he knew exactly what kind of movie that was and tailored his performance to match, and I had a blast.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

I don't know why Brooklyn is getting so much hate in this thread. It's a drat good movie about how much you idealize the people and places you leave behind. It's my 3rd favorite of the noms behind Spotlight which will win and Fury Road which in a crazy better world would win.

Bridge of Spies doesn't deserve to be nominated. It's honestly just Spielberg coasting like he has since saving Private Ryan.

I don't hate Brooklyn, it's a nice movie; it's just that "nice" is all you can really say about it. It's well done all round- well shot, well acted well designed, and it's a great movie to see when you've got your SO/mom/grandma and you just wanna see a good romance, but... there's just isn't that much more to say about it. None of the actors stretched or grew for their performance that I could see; the director, while having a flair for visual story telling*, didn't really try any new technique; the plot was able to be predicted from start to finish, and didn't try a clever way to reinforce a theme... it's just a good movie. I'm not saying the world has to be set on fire by your movie to win the Oscars, but if you're talking about a contest for great, classic movies**, shouldn't a movie be more than "pretty good"?

*one thing I enjoyed was that there was no great big placard announcing the date or time of anywhere, allowing the setting to tell us the setting and general time period- through the places Eilis (Saoirse Ronan's character) visits, the fashion at the time, the movies coming out, etc.

**Which the Oscars likes to think of itself as, anyway :v:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

Crash has aged the worst by far.

Actually, it sucked at its time.

What gets me about Crash is how blatantly, emotionally manipulative it is when you revisit it. I mean, all storytelling is manipulation to some degree, but truly artful storytelling hides that behind things like character and technique; Crash just has barefaced clichés married to static characters whose only description is "Angry Racist" (except for Saintly Latino Electrician with Precocious Daughter In Peril). Worse, it paints a both-sides-are-wrong, truth-is-in-the-middle picture about racism, which is unequivocally false and reprehensible; God, it took me aback as to just how angry it made me to see it again, as well as deep shame that I ever bought its bullshit for a second. Any other film that year deserved to win more.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I know that we all adore Mad Max, but does it actually have a chance to win Best Picture? Before it got the nod I (wrongly, It seems) assumed that it is mostly nerds on the internet that were super into it, since when I am out in the world it seems like people don't share the same affection for it we have.

God, I hope so. I saw it again the other day, and it's not just an entertaining action flick, it's a shining example of streamlined visual storytelling that you don't see very often in movies anymore. Brilliant script, fantastic acting, superb editing, thematic resonance throughout, and an effects driven extravaganza whilst still being rated R... it's really a perfect storm of Thing I Go To The Movies For, and it still makes my jaw drop at how well it works. That's why I'm so glad it's up for as many awards; it's amazing enough to see a director do a whole lot with just a little, but to see a director do a whole lot with a whole lot is truly exciting and should be lauded.

The lack of Sicario love, though, is truly shameful. (As is the snubbing of Michael B Jordan and other industry people of color, but enough people are complaining about that, so I won't add to it.)

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

The "power of movies" opening is always ridiculous but seems overtly so this year, but oddly enough, this is the first time it hasn't bothered me. Really helps to remind people that the Oscars really aren't that important in the grand scheme of things.

Other good reminders: Chris Rock, doing very well so far.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Nilbop posted:

So this whole show is gonna be about race.

You surely knew it was going to be, yes?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

This here is an involved introduction for screenplay, wow

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Spot light got it: I'm OK with that, though I did like Ex Machina better.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Big short won; doesn't really surprise me, adapting such a dry subject matter takes skill.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The white people clapping for lynching jokes and "black people used to have REAL poo poo to worry about" was loving surreal.

Chris Rock probably loved it though; I've never met him myself, but he does give the distinct impression of liking to trap racist white folks into traps like that.

Oops, he's off again.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was about to say "This is probably the only entertaining Oscars I've ever seen." but then Sam Smith came out to sing the lovely Bond theme

yeah, I've never seen Spectre, but now I really don't want to. This is... not good.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

goddamn, I'm gonna be sad if JJL doesn't get it, she acted her rear end off in hateful eight. :smith:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Alicia Vikander. :sigh: Oh well, hold your nose and pretend it's for Ex Machina.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Vikander was literally the one good part of The Danish Girl.

I agree; though that greatness consists of acting with two emotions versus everyone elses one.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Mad Max! Whoo!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Ohh, poo poo, another Mad Max! Could it be a sweep!?

(Lol no, but one can dream)

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Holy poo poo, it IS a sweep! :swoon:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Lubeski. poo poo. I wouldhave accepted Mad Max, and Deakins shouldhave got it, but drat, Lubeski has an award already!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Sixel! And were back to the good poo poo!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Aaand 5th!! Is thatr all the technicals?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Wow, most if not all technicals. Against Star Wars.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

An Ex Machina win!!! That's good poo poo!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

... How is this not blatant nepotism?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

gd drat. Someday, somebody will thank Don Hertzfelt for all he has done and apologize to him for snubbing his genius.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Inside out, of course. :nallears:

I kid, I kid, it was a good movie.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Slate Action posted:

I didn't really like Inside Out that much, come at me

I can't really blame you, but I did admire the ambition it had and that it mostly stuck the landing should be lauded, even if it didn't really turn out as deep or meaningful as expected.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Incredibles is Atlas Shrugged with a coat of Fantastic Four paint.

It's actually really bad and not good.

And again somebody misses the point entirely of bot The Incredibles and Objectivism. well done.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Mark Rylance!

I did not see Bridge of spies, so I dunno.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Man I've heard of none of these movies.

I should really watch more documentaries myself.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Oh wow, another Oscar win for a showbusiness icon.

I didn't care for it. At all. Boo

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Nilbop posted:

See? Chris gets how cynical that award was.

I really, really like Chris Rock and the job he's doing.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Translation: All right, all right, we'll try to be more diverse. Now get off our backs and forget this ever happened so we can get back to sucking each others cocks.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Jiro posted:

Oh wow Nimoy got the last one. Live Long and Prosper.

I genuinely forgot about Nimoy passing... drat but this year was rough :(

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Son of Saul. Great movie, very intense and claustrophobic, but I guess we're still not over the Holocaust.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Hey, the Hateful Eight won something!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

WHAT!!!!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

THAT WASN'T EVEN THE SECOND BEST SONG ON A VERY WEAK LIST

I would go so far as to say that ANY OTHER loving SONG would have been better.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Is Brooklyn really good or something it just seems like the most nothing movie

It's a very cliche romance movie, but a very well executed one on all levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Aww gently caress!

• Locked thread