Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Honestly I just desperately do not want The Danish Girl to win. That movie is the drizzling loving shits.

Please elaborate. I instinctively avoided it, it smelt oscar baity, but i'd like to know why I should specifically be avoiding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skeesix posted:

As much as I like Laverne Cox on Orange is the New Black, she hasn't shown the chops to go beyond a supporting character in a major motion picture. Jamie Clayton is 38 years old. I've never heard of the latter two.

What's the relevant of being 38 years old? Or were you just sharing the one thing you knew?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Judakel posted:

I hope Redmayne screws Dicaprio.

This would probably win them both an Oscar.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

Bridge of Spies doesn't deserve to be nominated. It's honestly just Spielberg coasting like he has since saving Private Ryan.

Munich is not him coasting, in this or any other universe.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

War of the Worlds, The Terminal, Catch Me if You Can, Minority Report, and A.I. aren't coasting either. Spielberg rules.

Now that I think about it all of those movies are probably better than Saving Private Ryan.

Those are all good, but Munich springs to mind every time someone bags on recent Spielberg. It is, to me, probably his most fully realised 'serious' film and it kind of amazes me that he directed it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

They only get it right about half the time, so there's a pretty long list of inexplicable Best Picture winners. Crash comes to mind.

Shakespeare in love is the strangest one to me. Especially given how very strong that year was. It was like all the good movies split the vote and the completely mediocre movie won.

Vegetable posted:

The Pianist is very, very good. And Gangs of New York has Daniel Day-Lewis in an incredible role. Bottom-tier Scorsese is still rock solid filmmaking.

Gangs of New York never quite gels. It is, at the very least, though, a very interesting failure.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It was cool when Hollywood kept patting itself on the back for giving an Oscar to Hattie McDaniel for playing a loving cartoon character. Then, after a couple of decades of playing dignified, handsome leads, they give one to Denzel for playing a loving cartoon character, and pat themselves on the back some more.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Best Cinematography award for Kamiński's work on Saving Private Ryan officially kicked off a decade of nonstop shakey-cam.

Thanks a lot, Senior Spielbergo!

though I forgave Kamiński after The Diving Bell and The Butterfly :)

Kaminski used it brilliantly. Then everyone else used it poorly and ruined it as a concept, so it goes on the pile with bullet time, quick cutting, drained colour palettes, full colour palettes, heavy post-processing, long takes, symmetrical composition, impressionistic editing and all the other stuff that's great when it's used well that idiots have made us sick of.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 21, 2016

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

Ah, a fellow Prometheus admirer. That movie still comes up in conversations about disappointing sequels, even among good critics. I still have only a tenuous grasp on what people hated so much about it.

There are people (this is by no means a majority, but they exist) who are just angry that there are no 'xenomorphs' in it. Like, if the movie was the same, but an alien wandered past in the background every now and then, it would be better.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

"A BIOLOGIST WOULD NEVER TOUCH AN ANIMAL"

Especially not while crushing hard on the assassin from "The Borgias"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

My friends think I'm stupid for saying Millburn wanted to be bfs with Fifield.

Fifield has the same sultry, playing hard to get vibe that all that actor's characters have. He's got misanthropy down to a loving science.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The process of re-evaluating Prometheus seems to have already started, but it'll take another decade or so for it to be recognized for the classic that it is.

When I see articles about it that were written recently the term I hear most often is "divisive", when before the discussion was usually about how much it sucked, and in a very matter of fact way as if it was assumed everybody felt that way.

Movie criticism is memes. The characters did dumb things, nothing was explained and spaceships don't fall like that. End of discussion.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Sorry, my original point was more about how The Martian is good but not really a deserving Best Picture Nominee. Really not trying to start the same debate about Prometheus for the 80th time.

By debate you mean "Well practiced dance of points, counterpoints, and counter-counterpoints."

Tale as old as time
True as it can be...

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

Sebastian Stan wears a hoodie kinda like it in The Martian. It's like Ridley Scott is rubbing it in.

The Winter Soldier is in the Martian? gently caress that is such an...eclectic cast.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There was a great thread on costuming here, and it made me appreciate that, even if all the clothes were available off the rack, now, there's still a real skill to selecting the right ones. Heat was always a terrific film for costuming, how every character reveals who they are by how they dress.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I've seen Fury Road five or six times, and Sicario three times, and they're just as awesome every time. Seems like a pretty good measure of quality to me.

The month the blu ray was released it was a struggle to get myself to watch anything other than Fury Road. So many times I was like "Well, its a lazy Sunday morning and I have a few t.v. shows to catch up on, I could do that...... or I could just give in to temptation and watch Fury Road AGAIN."

It's very much like Die Hard, Robocop, Dredd, Heat or Terminator 2. Somehow, it never gets boring, even though I practically know the drat thing off by heart by now.

On the race thing, the film Denzel actually won for still bothers me. He's in a thousand really good movies, and gets the win for playing a 50 Cent music video in an okay action movie. It's not quite Hattie McDaniel, but it's not nearly as far off as it should be.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

there wolf posted:

Denzel won best supporting for Glory before his win for Training Day. Not that playing a former? slave who gets whipped is any better as far as what roles Oscar voters think black people deserve recognition for.

A slave and a Gangster rapper's fantasy. Goddamit, academy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Gangster rapper's fantasy: A police officer.

You haven't seen the movie, have you?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

You haven't seen the last half hour of the movie, have you?

Are you asking me that for the same reason you'd ask Puff Daddy if he's seen the second half of Scarface?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Raxivace posted:

What do people have against The Hurt Locker, exactly?

Like it's by no means one of my favorites, but I've know a few people that absolutely hate it and I've never really understood why.

Tactical Realism.

• Locked thread