Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is this whole thread going to be people who haven't seen the other nominated films chirping about Mad Max and Star Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Honestly I just desperately do not want The Danish Girl to win. That movie is the drizzling loving shits.
Its only big nomination is for acting. Maybe not Redmayne, but Vikander thoroughly deserves the award.

People shouldn't conflate a bad film with its constituent parts. A very bad film can have good acting, writing, cinematography and whatnot.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It takes the story of an actual trans person and reframes it into a forced-feminization fetish story. That alone is absolutely disgusting and warrants the movie just being stricken from the loving record entirely in my book. Also, Redmayne's performance is absolutely ridiculous (he basically plays his character as Divine), even discounting the shittiness of casting a cis dude to play a trans woman. Plus, it outright lies about what happened to Lili Elbe to make her wife look more sympathetic and make it a ~tragic love story~ when, in reality, Elbe's wife was kind of a lovely person.

e: I mean, no poo poo you shouldn't expect historical accuracy from Oscar bait biopics, but this is some seriously insidious poo poo that's actively harmful to LGBT people.
It's based on a book that's a fictionalized version of Elbe's life. It's not meant to be particularly accurate.

Also, no idea what a "forced-feminization fetish story" is, but I'd like to see that movie.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm not particularly okay with the book either. Also, if you don't know what that is, you're probably better off that way.

(I am also hardly the first person to poo poo on it for being a fetish story disguised as a legitimate portrayal of a trans person.)
The first and the last essays aren't even written by people who have seen the film, and the second article has the most pedantic criticism I've read: the film "fails to address the reality of life after sex reassignment surgery and the need to treat comorbid psychological disorders." Of course it doesn't, Elbe dies after the last of her surgeries. There was no way the film could have accurately done what the author is requesting.

I've dug deep into this film as somebody who cares personally about the trans movement. It makes a lot of missteps. But the film is hardly the shitshow that critics make it out to be. Most of the criticism boils down to "This isn't the perfect trans story." No poo poo, Tangerine is the first and perhaps only film to do a trans story without pissing somebody off. Baby steps.

e: How does it even portray transgenderism as a kink? You're just plucking buzzwords out of the air ("kink", "fetish") and plastering them on the film.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 15, 2016

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Literally nobody in the media has called Redmayne brave for doing the role, don't set up strawmen for yourself to tear down.

Speaking as a film programmer, there are very few "diverse" films that are actually excellent any given year. Creed, Carol, Compton, Tangerine... What else can you really think of?

The Oscars are self-masturbatory garbage, but the root of the problem is the industry.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Pianist is very, very good. And Gangs of New York has Daniel Day-Lewis in an incredible role. Bottom-tier Scorsese is still rock solid filmmaking.

Haven't seen Chicago, though, so I don't know how much it deserved it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

American Beauty had a ton of critical acclaim back in its year. It's one of those films that haven't aged well, but I don't think you can blame the Academy for giving it the award.

I don't know my film history, but my impression is disillusion with suburbia wasn't as cliche back then as it is now.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Zogo posted:

Hasn't aged well in what way?
In that critics now look back at it with some gentle mocking. Acclaim for a film sometimes diminishes over time, although it puzzles me why this happens at all.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If a film seems good today, it should win today's award. It'd be high speculation for Academy voters to go "This probably won't hold up well" and vote against it when the longevity of a movie's acclaim is so unpredictable.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fury Road is probably the fourth or fifth favorite, behind at least The Revenant, Spotlight, and The Big Short. Still in with a shout, but the Academy rarely shocks in this direction.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Oscar Isaac wasn't even the lead in Ex Machina.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Pretty sure Chris Rock chose the ending song you retards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tina Fey's a talentless hack who hasn't made a single good movie and somehow thinks she's above "the culture of apology."

All that means is she doesn't want to be disturbed during her little moments of racism.

• Locked thread