Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Better performance: Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia or Leonardo Dicaprio in The Revenant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

centaurtainment posted:

Jim Caviezel in The Passion of the Christ.

I am not saying that Peter O'Toole's Lawrence is a better performance than anything this year, but I am.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

ViggyNash posted:

I don't understand all the unconditional love for The Martian and Star Wars. The former had fantastic set production and Matt Damon being Matt Damon, and the latter had... idk, nostalgia value and good music, but the level of support those two movies got boggles my mind. Star Wars especially, because I think it's an undeniably bad movie and I'm utterly confused at it's universal praise, and I'm just as confused as putting The Martian up for Best Picture. Really?

I'm glad that Ex Machina and Inside Out got some nominations. Inside Out is probably the shoe-in for best animated picture because it was good and popular and the academy can't be arsed to give a poo poo about any of the other candidates, as usual. Anomalisa looks interesting though and seems to have gotten decent mainstream presence, so maybe it'll manage a surprise victory?

What do you hate about it? I am mixed on Star Wars.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Colonel Whitey posted:

The Mad Max score was fine but extremely simplistic. John Williams' worst score would beat it easily.

Minimalism is a thing.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Colonel Whitey posted:

It wasn't minimalist though? Repetition and a lack of sophistication is not the same thing as minimalism. It worked well enough but it definitely was not Oscar worthy.

It was.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Who will they give the Oscar to instead of Dicaprio? Please don't reward desperation, thanks.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Proposition Joe posted:

They're going to give it to Eddie Redmayne, the worst possible choice.

Bryan Craaaanston.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Proposition Joe posted:

I would have no qualms with Bryan Cranston winning because he did a decent job and gave one of the better performances in the category? And while you might be down on Leonardo DiCaprio he deserves, and will probably win, the Oscar because he also did a decent job and the competition for best actor is not nearly as competitive as the previous years he was nominated in acting categories.

He should not get an Oscar for stunts and grunting. It was the nature of the role, but it is nonetheless true that it was not a showcase for great acting. It is such a dull category this year.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Han Solo should have died in Empire.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I hope Redmayne screws Dicaprio.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

InterrupterJones posted:

Everyone calm down. Redmayne isn't gonna win the Oscar since his performance in the Danish Girl was good not great, and Leo is gonna win the Oscar this year so everyone can shut up about him not winning it ever. If you'd seen both Danish Girl and The Revenant you'd already know this to be true.

Idris Elba not getting best supporting is the only thing about the whole racism thing that really bothers me; but in all honesty, he may even have lost anyway, because Tom Hardy was surprisingly good in The Revenant as well.

Leo was not very good in The Revenant.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Except that doesn't matter in the slightest and your 6-8 word posts aren't going to change it.

Most wordsalads are not worth your time. Recently, I read a lengthy post that examined the differences between Nightcrawler and Taxi Driver. The author noted that Taxi Driver was no longer as relevant as it once was since people did not care about individuals that "do" anymore; they only care about those that do "nothing" and bask in attention. Bottom-feeders, in other words. The author claimed that Nightcrawler was a sign of this shift. I paraphrase, but that was the general point. The post was well-written and possibly evocative. It was also posted sometime in-between mass-shootings by some loner with issues that dominate newscycles for a few days - which could be any time in the US.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 19, 2016

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

sbaldrick posted:

I don't know why Brooklyn is getting so much hate in this thread.

No explosions and there is a woman in it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Bridge of Spies is worth your time, but it is nothing special. I don't think it should have been nominated.

Creed should have been, though.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Somewhere in the streaming thread.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Michael Pena's overacting sure is wonderful.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Mad Max really is loved in Hollywood. People may think the Academy held their nose while nominating it, but this is simply untrue.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Echo Chamber posted:

When Hollywood felt guilty about all the Transformers movies that made fuckloads of money they handed the Best Picture trophy to a dignified prestige drama, The King's Speech. Roger Ebert predicted that with this reasoning.

Likewise, Mad Max seems like a decent populist and geek-friendly choice if they want to try to push aside all the bad PR from that huge racism issue, you know... without changing how Hollywood works in general.

The political climate seems to be factor.

Roger Ebert's reasoning was not accurate. It won because it was not a challenging film.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

canyoneer posted:

Conservative pundits are going to have a heart attack. Race, jokes about cops, Care Blanchett's upcoming win, and Joe Biden

Brie Larson is not not spelled Care Blanchett

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I hope all the scoring in this category was consensual.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Ugh.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Play this oval office off.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

MJBuddy posted:

Inarritu just did such a loving good job.

If Revenant was a 100, Miller was a 97 and it's frustrating to have those two movies butting heads on direction.

The Revenant, if it wins, will be the worst reviewed movie to win since Crash.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Eddie Redmayne looks like an unfinished clone.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Room is the best movie of the year that was not Mad Max.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CapnAndy posted:

Oh my God they're putting in another commercial break

they know everyone's just here for Leo's gently caress YOU I HAD THIS COMING FIVE YEARS AGO AND SIX PERFORMANCES SINCE speech

Thank you for adding speech at the end of that, because it certainly is not fact. :colbert:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Incredibly lame.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CelticPredator posted:

Leo deserved to win.

In 2013

The year of Lincoln?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I am fine with A Few Not As Good Men winning.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

This is gonna be one of those Best Pictures that nobody is gonna remember or care about in a couple years, while Mad Max is remembered.

he says angrily

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Alain Post posted:

remember when One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, which is a great movie, won when it was actually the worst nominee for Best Picture

What an absolutely stacked year!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Alain Post posted:

as far as 70s zeitgeist dramas go, I definitely prefer Dog Day Afternoon

It is an all-time classic.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Raxivace posted:

I had to look up what it beat.

I could probably be convinced Dog Day Afternoon isn't better, but holy crap is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest not better than Jaws, Nashville, or Barry Lyndon which is arguably Kubrick's best film.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is as good as Jaws. Perhaps Barry Lyndon. It has so many character moments.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
The script was cringe-worthy and bland. So was Matt Damon.

Take that, Neil Armstrong!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Raxivace posted:

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, as good as it is, is just good writing and acting from what I remember. On the stage with the same cast and script I'm not convinced it would be worse or different.

Jaws is almost pure cinema (Or at least in the sense of how Hitchcock meant it). What makes the movie so good is how well it uses the medium of film, which you really can't grant to Cuckoo's Nest.

I won't argue that Jaws makes better use of the medium's unique aspects, but Cuckoo's Nest is infinitely more engaging precisely because its human elements are better realized.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Armyman25 posted:

Cuckoo's Nest is off putting in every respect. It's ugly to look at, the sound design is terrible, and it ends with a magical Indian.

I am sorry that you cannot connect with a film on a human level.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Vegetable posted:

Tina Fey's a talentless hack who hasn't made a single good movie and somehow thinks she's above "the culture of apology."

All that means is she doesn't want to be disturbed during her little moments of racism.

None of us do.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Alain Post posted:

Gladiator loving kicks rear end. It's a great star-driven swords-and-sandals Hollywood epic, which is something I always make time for.

I will disregard your thoughts on 1970s films from earlier in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Armyman25 posted:

You are really invested in defending this thing, aren't you?

Last word?

• Locked thread