Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Raonic's first serve percentage is shite in this set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Raonic is dead.

If he is injured he should quit. He's had big injuries before and no sense in aggravating your current problem.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Can't compete with Murray's "superhuman" endurance.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Prediction: It will be a boring final played by boring players who play boring tennis. Murray will of course lose (and whine).

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

Xabi posted:

Prediction: It will be a boring final played by boring players who play boring tennis. Murray will of course lose (and whine).

:agreed:

I don't remember Murray/Djokovic ever having really entertaining matches when playing against each other.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I hope Kim calls Andy and he fucks off in the middle of the match while shouting 'see you later shitlords'.

Alain Post posted:

Can't compete with Murray's "superhuman" endurance.

You are thinking of Djokovic and prime Nadal. Murray's endurance is nothing compared to that.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

charismaslover posted:

:agreed:

I don't remember Murray/Djokovic ever having really entertaining matches when playing against each other.

When Murray beat Djokovic in the 2012 US Open final in five sets that was a really good match. Also the French Open semi-final last year which went to five sets.

But yeah, generally not as memorable as other big four matchups. They are basically the same player, only Djokovic has that extra 5%, so it's not that interesting stylistically.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Murray owns and I sincerely hope he wins. But he won't. Again.

Sunday is going to loving suck.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
This match is gettin real good

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I honestly thought Kerber had no shot but she's prove me wrong. I'm not sure if it's her playing out of her skin or Serena playing a bit worse than normal but thats kind of how all tennis matches work anyway.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Rooting hard for Kerber here. She's sort of flying under the radar, compared to the more popular German players like Petkovic and Lisicki.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

ChaosReaper posted:

I honestly thought Kerber had no shot but she's prove me wrong. I'm not sure if it's her playing out of her skin or Serena playing a bit worse than normal but thats kind of how all tennis matches work anyway.

Serena is off a bit in her arm, I dunno if she's carrying an injury or not but her power is not where she's expecting it to be, both over and under hitting.

Kerber has also been playing sublime passes and Serena has been walking into them

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

That drop

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Come on!

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

That drop shot was just sublime.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
First that drop, and then out-slugging Serena while nearly sitting down. Wow.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Serena's definitely a little off, but Kerber's playing fantastic, consistent tennis and getting everything back often with interest. Hopefully she can close it out.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Well I think Kerber might have just lost.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Fuuuuuuuuck

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Man I am always wrong when I think people will lose haha.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

That was a real good game and Kerber looks like she absolutely belongs playing for championships

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
BAM. What a great match.

Solemn Sloth posted:

That was a real good game and Kerber looks like she absolutely belongs playing for championships

I've always been a little miffed that Jon Wertheim over at si.com has the habit of ignoring Kerber. He always sort of dismisses her as a plucky veteran. Looking forward to his Australien Open parting thoughts now.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 30, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Serena, The

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

That was a nice friendly embrace between them. :unsmith:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Hell yes.

It's always nice seeing someone win a slam for the first time

wretchx
Dec 4, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
An enjoyable women's final!

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Doctor Cave posted:

Hell yes.

It's always nice seeing someone win a slam for the first time

Yea I was rooting for Kerber because first time winners are great.

Buddy Holly
Oct 14, 2004

I am still determined to be cheerful and happy. Run along now.
The Germans will not allow the record to be equalled or broken. Only 21 to go, Kerber.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I choose to not wake up at 3:30 am to watch the match because of course Serena would win.

I chose wrong. :negative:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Missed the ladies final but really happy for Kerber.

Last year she played some of the most entertaining women;s matches and was on the wrong end of most of them. And I love the crouching shot she does.

e: ^^^^ Me too buddy. I set the alarm and ignored it
:negative:

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 30, 2016

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
I've been gone all day so I just watched the 3rd set. That was awesome

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Glad Serena lost. Hope a good young talent in the womens game emerges soon, it desperately needs it.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Murray's going to get washed. He already looks out of it.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Man Murray looked good that first game but sadly it seems like all he had was one game in him.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Hey who remembers when eastern Europe dominated every sport ever for like a span of 30 years. :smuggo:

Seriously though, Djokovic needs to stop making people look bad so I can watch some tennis.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Nice to see such a competitive final so far.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

At least Murray's staying calm so far, it looks like he knew this was a possibility. He got better towards the end of that set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Murray is such a loving garbageman. Really wish this was Raonic.

• Locked thread