Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I bought oysters and then I ate them. I just told the guy to give me 2 of each, so I have no idea what varieties these are, maybe a more knowledgeable goon can offer some insight.

How to eat Oysters
-Shuck them. I'm not gonna write out all the steps to do this because there's a lot of great guides online, like this one.
-Clean them. Run a paper towel around the edge of the shell and pick up any dirt or shelly pieces that may have crumbled off when shucking.
-Sauce them. I like a squirt of lemon or hot sauce. Some people like cocktail sauce, vinegar, or just to have them plain. Do whatever you like, I won't judge.
-Eat up! Some people think you should swallow oysters whole, but to me that defeats the purpose. Give it a few good chews and enjoy that sweet seawater taste.

I like to pair oysters with any drink that's ice cold and crisp. A nice pilsner is my favorite, but sparkling wine or even vodka go great to me as well.

What's your favorite way to eat oysters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Here in Seattle area we eat our oysters the way God intended.

Fresh and raw...with occasionally grilling them for noms. There was a place in Port Townsend that did make a fantastic oyster breakfast scramble last time we went, though.

I love oysters...I can eat up to 2 dozen if I am in an oyster mood. Sisters Point are my usual, but if they are a good price I will get the Japanese ones (Kumamoto I think they are called). Little ones with a really deep cup but they have an after flavor of melons. Simply amazingly delicious.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've seen people that just gulp down the oysters whole like they are downing medication. The gently caress? You're not tasting anything when you do that. Good job throwing $3 in the garbage.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I like mignonette or a sorbet as oyster toppings. Some of my favs are tequila mignonette, plum cider mignonette, watermelon mignonette, lime sorbet, hibiscus sorbet, and cran-ginger sorbet

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
We had an oyster roast right after xmas. I shucked like an entire bushel myself. My hands were useless the next day.

Oddly enough, I never got sick of eating them, just shucking.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I think the best condiment for oysters is just a light spritz of lemon. The touch of acidity can really bring out the sweetness of a good oyster.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
vote a drop or two of mignonette.

I really prefer small, plump, briny oysters that don't need any messing with, to the gigantic floppy muddy ones - but if I gotta eat dozens of the latter I'll go for the tobasco or cocktail sauce.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Around here I almost always just get the big fuckers because that's all they have so I'll use hot sauce and horseradish. I loving love oysters. I even love the smoked ones in a tin but raw oysters are the poo poo.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Plain or maybe wih lemon for just a few, Tabasco beyond that. There used to be a place an hour south with really good "caviar" that they would sprinkle over a lightly sour creamed plate of oysters. That was always pretty good.

Or my grandmother's oyster stew from way back when the buggers were cheaper. And my wife's grandmother's ex-boyfriend made a great oyster stuffing around Thanksgiving.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Butch Cassidy posted:

There used to be a place an hour south with really good "caviar" that they would sprinkle over a lightly sour creamed plate of oysters. That was always pretty good.

I am intrigued by this. Anyone else tried roe on oysters?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Jmcrofts posted:

I feel like that'd just make them even more briny. Like a salt bomb.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The best accompaniment is when you get an oyster with a pea crab inside. Adds just a little crunch.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Doh004 posted:

I feel like that'd just make them even more briny. Like a salt bomb.

.....and?????

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

Well, there's this guy...

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Croatoan posted:

Around here I almost always just get the big fuckers because that's all they have so I'll use hot sauce and horseradish. I loving love oysters. I even love the smoked ones in a tin but raw oysters are the poo poo.

Those smoked lil fuckers are awfully good.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Anyone know a good source for affordable oysters in the Twin Cities? I love oysters but never get a chance to experiment as they're so goddamn expensive.

I usually do splash of lemon, a Jalapeno slice, and a small amount of very fine minced onions. Sometimes, I just do a splash of tabasco. My favorite prepared oysters are from Osaka in Apple Valley. They're different every time and awesome but $4 a piece if not more.

I'd like to experiment with different recipes but I can't find them cheap enough.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus, $4 an oyster is insane.

How much are you guys paying for oysters? At the grocery store near me they're $1.75 each, which is highway robbery IMO. At the fishmonger they're $.75 which is pretty decent.

This is in Chicago btw.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Jmcrofts posted:

Jesus, $4 an oyster is insane.

How much are you guys paying for oysters? At the grocery store near me they're $1.75 each, which is highway robbery IMO. At the fishmonger they're $.75 which is pretty decent.

This is in Chicago btw.
I can go down to Central Market and get fresh oysters for about $11.50 a dozen for the Sister's Point ones I normally get, and if I am feeling decadent can pay about $16 a dozen for the Kumomoto oysters.

This is N of Seattle.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, the Shoreline Central Market is tight.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Thoht posted:

Yeah, the Shoreline Central Market is tight.

I have not been to that one...usually am at the Mill Creek one. Love the seafood there though, and the meat/produce department is fantastic.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I refuse to buy oysters if they're priced per 'each'

that's just loving insane.

10 years ago I'd buy per pound, and when I got home, there would be a couple clearly dead, flopping about, so you expect to lose some to attrition.

I'll still find them for 5-6 bucks a pound, which means you'll get like 8-10 oysters for $5-6. that to me is acceptable. not ideal, but if you aren't buying in bulk, sure. they're super perishable and of course gonna be expensive.

paying $1.25 per oyster outside of a restaurant is loving ridiculous. if you bought a dozen, you'd have to at least be ok with accepting there's a risk one of them would be dead, and you'd already be out like 10% of your total purchase price.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I paid $80 per bushel, which seems to be between 100-150 oysters.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Ate 24 Kushi oysters last night with red wine vinegar & shallots, caviar & fresh grated horseradish. They were sublime, no idea what they cost as it was my wife's birthday so price wasn't a concern. Normally I pay about 1.25 here in Vancouver for Kushi or miyagi's.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

squirrelzipper posted:

Ate 24 Kushi oysters last night with red wine vinegar & shallots, caviar & fresh grated horseradish. They were sublime, no idea what they cost as it was my wife's birthday so price wasn't a concern. Normally I pay about 1.25 here in Vancouver for Kushi or miyagi's.

oh kushi are so good.... I think I may have to have an oysterfest this weekend.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
I like chicken oysters

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

.....and?????

Don't get me wrong, I love salt (to a fault), but even I have my limits.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DARPA Dad posted:

I like chicken oysters

Mods????

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

I don't see the problem. Everything tastes like chicken.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
hangtown fry or a po-boy. UNF.

Raw is good too, but man I'm a sucker for those two

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

A restaurant near me in Houston does what they call Carpetbaggers - no clue if this is common but I've never seen it. Cajun fried oyster on top of thick cut bacon with blue cheese, served on the half shell.

Not my photo, I've never been but this is on the short list of things to try soon:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I love raw oysters, but hate 'em fried. If I'm getting my poboy on, it's crawdads or clams or mayport shrimp all dang day.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I love them raw, but if I am doing the shucking I will steam them open first. Shucking oysters violates everything the boy scouts taught me about safe knife use.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Fried oysters are loving tits, it's the best use for big meaty briny oysters.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Use thick folded-up kitchen towels to hold the oyster and use a strong, short knife with a blunt, hard point. Oyster shucking knives are optimal. I just use my diving gloves in thick reinforced neoprene and my diving knife.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Force de Fappe posted:

Use thick folded-up kitchen towels to hold the oyster and use a strong, short knife with a blunt, hard point. Oyster shucking knives are optimal. I just use my diving gloves in thick reinforced neoprene and my diving knife.

I had oysters for the first time last May in NOLA at the french market. (I always refused to eat them anywhere that's not at the sea due to freshness so Munich oysters at 3€ a pieve? no thanks...)
I actually tried 4 different styles:
- raw: since I had never had one before and wanted the unadultered flavour, was OK
- with lemon: was really nice
- with hot sauce: I don't like this as it totally killed the oyster flavour and even a tiny bit made it taste like salty hot sauce
- char broiled: these were really nice as well

However, I am not seeing the special appeal of oysters as a luxury food they have here in Germany. (Pretentious idiots like to sit down in the deli department of local stores and pay 12€ for 3 oysters and a glass of champagne, then swallow them whole without even appreciating the flavour.)
They are tasty but nowhere near lobster or other good seafood for me. I might eat them more often if I lived by the sea where they are fresh and much cheaper, but as is, I can live without them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yea, having now experienced more or less unlimited oysters, I am not sure if I can go back to paying more then $1 per for them.

Quisty
Apr 10, 2008

I like to pinch.

Hopper posted:

I had oysters for the first time last May in NOLA at the french market. (I always refused to eat them anywhere that's not at the sea due to freshness so Munich oysters at 3€ a pieve? no thanks...)
I actually tried 4 different styles:
- raw: since I had never had one before and wanted the unadultered flavour, was OK
- with lemon: was really nice
- with hot sauce: I don't like this as it totally killed the oyster flavour and even a tiny bit made it taste like salty hot sauce
- char broiled: these were really nice as well

Did you go during the Oyster Festival? We went last year and hopefully again this year. We had grilled oysters for the first time (we usually like them raw) with garlic and butter and bread to sop it all up...oh gawd was it good!

Can't wait to go back.

social media guru
Jan 18, 2016

by Cowcaster
The beat way to eat #oysters is to get a shot of smokey #scotch, fill the shell to the brim with the scotch so it mixes with brine and #shoottheoyster and then chase with the rest of the scotch #yumm

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Quisty posted:

Did you go during the Oyster Festival? We went last year and hopefully again this year. We had grilled oysters for the first time (we usually like them raw) with garlic and butter and bread to sop it all up...oh gawd was it good!

Can't wait to go back.

No but the NOLA food festival was on the same weekend. Oh my the stuff I ate. Beef yakamen (spelling) and crawfish Mac and cheese. Ribs, fish taco, gator, gumbo, jambalaya...
Honestly it was so great because I practically had sample of all famous foods on one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My wife is from Panama City Beach. Every time we go back to visit her family, I eat as many oysters as I can.

The best way to eat oysters is when we go to the restaurant where her aunt works and she comps us like three dozen.

• Locked thread