Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Travis seems to be considering shaving his beard

I wonder if he'd still look like Chris Kattan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tears In A Vial posted:

email justin@teengoogle.com, subject line BIG BONE ROOM
I just did this also wanted to follow up a recent question they got from the archaeologist talking about how much they dislike being asked about dinosaurs and paleontology. Well the exact opposite happens for us Paleo folks.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

achillesforever6 posted:

I just did this also wanted to follow up a recent question they got from the archaeologist talking about how much they dislike being asked about dinosaurs and paleontology. Well the exact opposite happens for us Paleo folks.

So like, you don't eat bread right?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

So like, you don't eat bread right?
Maybe that's why grad school never accepted me :negative:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The brothers are on tour at the moment aren't they? Hope they pick the question I sent in recently :ohdear:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Listening to this week's MBMBAM, and thank Travis for Travis.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Its been ages since I did the GTA online heists. What were Abby and Dan supposed to be doing? Just calling out targets for the ground team or did they have guns they didn't see?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The Modern Leper posted:

Listening to this week's MBMBAM, and thank Travis for Travis.

Every Travis bit is illuminated by the fact he has a framed photo of himself on his desk.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
The “Yes And” energy was strong in this episode. Every single question ended in a place that was just “How the hell did we get here again?”

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sankis posted:

Its been ages since I did the GTA online heists. What were Abby and Dan supposed to be doing? Just calling out targets for the ground team or did they have guns they didn't see?

I didn't know Abby and Dan were on this week's episode.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'd listen to that mashup

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

dirksteadfast posted:

The “Yes And” energy was strong in this episode. Every single question ended in a place that was just “How the hell did we get here again?”

Yeah the most recent episode was buck wild.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

They got so in the weeds with their weird hypothetical rubber band/gun business that I had to back up a few minutes to recall what the question even was

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Travis calling back to the shared birthday thing in that bit was so expertly done

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Papa Shaq is coming for the Saucy Throne.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"How do I let people know it's my birthday without sounding like a narcissist?"

Me, waiting for Travis' advice and not being at all surprised by it: :allears:

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Never been so happy to have the money zone music kick in to end a bit

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I did not dig the Petals to the Metals arc, I've decided. Ultimately the NPCs did most of the heavy lifting, plot-wise, and it ruffled my feathers. The unapologetic assholishness of our heroes never fails to get a smirk out of me, though. Big fan of Travis remembering to shout "WHAT?!" every time Hurley spoke to him during the race, keeping the bit up effectively for over a month.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The bit of literally murdering someone after a cop said not to was the highlight of that arc.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

petals to the metal was the first time i got frustrated with griffons DM style.

don't have your DMPC out cool your players, and travis was 100% in the right for calling him out on it.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

The part where they infiltrate the gang headquarters is among my favourite 2-3 episodes; the bank and race are much weaker.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Roobanguy posted:

petals to the metal was the first time i got frustrated with griffons DM style.

don't have your DMPC out cool your players, and travis was 100% in the right for calling him out on it.

yeah that first fight with Sloane was designed to be intentionally unwinnable in a very lame way

It's okay to overwhelm your players sometime but you could have just had Sloane knock them out and leave you didn't need a dramatic NPC rescue

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Petals is weird. It has some INCREDIBLE standout moments (Merle seducing the vines, the elevator scene, doing a murder, the gang infiltration, Garyl), but for whatever reason those parts don't really add up to as amazing as a whole as, say, 11th hour.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
TAZ improves when you accept that it’s not really an RPG, it’s a story being told collaboratively. The players get to determine some actions and their dialog choices, while the DM (who is really just the storyteller) gets to drive the narrative. The dice rolls are mostly inconsequential and only exist to help provide a game structure for the players.

That said, the best parts of TAZ are the ones that come about organically and are usually outside of Griffin’s story. I like the loose, jokey improv parts more than the serious dramatic storytelling. I think Griffin and to a lesser extent the other guys put a lot of pressure on themselves to tell a compelling narrative, especially with Amnesty. That’s not to say there haven’t been moments that have been genuinely moving, but it would almost be better if they just played a pre written adventure and riffed off it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
"You and the lockbox both drink poison. The lockbox dies" is one of my favorite low key jokes in all of Balance

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think Amnesty, at least how I've looked at it, works better for what they're all trying to do. There are some moments where rolls are ignored for narrative direction, yes, but nothing has annoyed me or stood out nearly as much as the weaker aspects of petals to the metal. Clint and the vines was majestic, and it's proof that Griffin is open to solving problems in roundabout ways, but the solutions being "leave it to umbrella I gave you and explained nothing about" and "monk I control will take care of it" is the opposite side of the spectrum. Magnus tried to get at Sloan in the core of the beast, and it feels like Griffin tried to punish him for getting in the way with successful rolls.

The shows are still great, clearly a net positive, but there was some frustration as the arc continued.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I think early on the problem was that Griffin viewed it as a story he was telling while Travis was playing it like a game he was trying to win. Those two approaches aren’t really compatible but I think they’re more on the same page now.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

please sign my petition to have them redo TAZ The Right Way

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Finally, Magnus and his vehicle proficiency will get the respect it deserves

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think early on the problem was that Griffin viewed it as a story he was telling while Travis was playing it like a game he was trying to win. Those two approaches aren’t really compatible but I think they’re more on the same page now.

Those two don't necessarily have to be at odds with each other if you see them coming at RPGs from a very videogame-informed approach which I think is appropriate given their background. Griffin wanted to design levels and set up arenas (and sometimes unskippable cutscenes) while Travis wanted to win boss battles. When they all played around each other it worked great, but when the boys tried to clip through Griffin's walls he didn't always handle it well.

Now that they're playing a story rather than a game it's much easier for all of them to give and take.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hearing Dr. Harris Bonkers in the clip episode reminded me of how much people hated that joke and how quickly it went away.

I honestly forgot Aubrey had a rabbit.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Chieves posted:

Petals is weird. It has some INCREDIBLE standout moments (Merle seducing the vines, the elevator scene, doing a murder, the gang infiltration, Garyl), but for whatever reason those parts don't really add up to as amazing as a whole as, say, 11th hour.

The race being just one looooong encounter kills a lot of the pacing. It makes the arc feel like two separate, almost unrelated pieces.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im listening to TAZ for the first time and I'm on the second fantasy costco trip.

I think.

I don't know why it's taken me so long to listen to it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Finally, We The Fans will make our voices heard! How many sparta kick tokens should every character get?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ariong posted:

Finally, We The Fans will make our voices heard! How many sparta kick tokens should every character get?

Merle kicks Jon to death in the first parlay flashback and instantly kills him, Inglorious Basterds-style

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
If it were 2002, everybody would have loving loved Harris Bonkers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Asema posted:

Im listening to TAZ for the first time and I'm on the second fantasy costco trip.

I think.

I don't know why it's taken me so long to listen to it.

Honestly a ton of my favorite bits came from the lunar interludes.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The one where Justin swindles griffin is my favorite moment of the adventure zone.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wasabi the J posted:

Honestly a ton of my favorite bits came from the lunar interludes.

I'm starting to pick up that their trips to fantasy costco are ultimately pointless because I think the only person to use the items they got was Merle and then it wasn't mentioned ever again.

I just wanna see the spa tent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

VaultAggie posted:

The one where Justin swindles griffin is my favorite moment of the adventure zone.

This was the peak of TAZ and I stopped listening not long after. Nothing can top this.