Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

SpacePig posted:

Amiibo Corner is my favorite new McElroy joint. Really up there with TIBaS, which I sorely miss.
Yeah, Griffin is the best, between this and all the extra effort he's been putting into TAZ. I love the genuine horror that people express when I first show them these videos. "Is he putting that .... oh no ... nooooooo... What the gently caress is this?" I'm just trying to ease them into Big Gulp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

I dunno. I quit Harmontown when it switched systems, and never actually got into Nerd Poker or FatT (the latter I seriously tried to like and just couldn't). TAZ is pretty much the only DnD podcast I've consistently listened to since Harmontown and definitely in a more specific and repeated way than virtually every other podcast, especially DnD related ones.
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about FatT (I lost interest in Harmontown's DnD segment well before they switched to Shadowrun, but that was really the final nail in the coffin). I really wanted to like it, but the audio issues in the first few episodes were just dire, and even when they sorted those out, most of the cast doesn't seem to get what makes for a good podcast RPG, as opposed to a private session between friends. I will take Griffin doing exposition dumps or everyone sassing Clint about forgetting how to cleric and what he has in his inventory any day over the party sitting in silence while thinking up lore details, a guy nitpicking the DM over whether something is or is not magic, or a debate over whether a character's evil alignment is right. I'm thinking of skipping to season 2 to see if the different game/setting works better for the format and player crew, but maybe TAZ is just a kind of magic that other groups can't quite capture.

Amaryllis fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 10, 2016

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Crystal Kingdom probably could've been a lot shorter if the boys didn't take literally every detour they possibly could. As it is, it's 3 or 4 solid stories that all got strung along as one. I had no problem with it, but I'll probably skip most of it if I ever decide to listen to it again.
For what it's worth, I gave it a re-listen and enjoyed it better for hearing the whole thing without two weeks between episodes. There are definitely lots of detours, but every episode has some solid goofs between the plot dumps (which aren't that bad either).

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Holy poo poo, I want that graphic novel in my hands yesterday!

Mr E posted:

I just got to chapter 2 of Petals to the Metal and had to pause when Trent got his butt cut off. Gonna be sad when I run out of this and have to wait a normal time in between them.
It's excruciating. It feels a little weird, especially after The Eleventh Hour, to have another guided-tour-feeling story arc, and I hope that the upcoming battle doesn't take up a whole episode, but I'm really enjoying listening to the boys trying (and mostly failing) to think positively in this despair dungeon.

I know other people have said it but I wanna underscore, especially with all this tabletop chat, that anyone looking for people sticking to the rules and actually letting characters gently caress up, do unexpected things, and ruin scenes with critical-failure rolls in a podcast should listen to Friends at the Table. The Marielda season is split into a couple of parts, both with good-for-listening tabletop systems, and it stands apart from season 1 despite sharing a setting with it. Most of the audio issues that make the first couple of seasons almost unlistenable have also been resolved. The only thing I continue to not like about it is that Austin seems so against railroading or roll-fudging that some episodes just descend into a massive trainwreck of roll failures made by characters who are supposed to be cool and good at their jobs and whose actions are narrated by players who don't really sell those failures as interesting/funny. Good if you're actually playing, not so good listening.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Rick posted:

Although, maybe I'll counter myself here and say that in the end, the story really benefited from this a few times so maybe it's all right.
Yeah, for sure: some of my favourite moments from last season, too, happened because someone hosed up some rolls and the narrative got fun. Specifically: the whole sequence in which one of Jack's characters gets biffed, tries to choke a priest, ends up sobbing on an operating theatre floor, and then quietly freaks out for the rest of the heist was comedy gold. It rivals that time Mako accidentally bought all those industrial riggers back in the Counter/Weight season for my favourite bit in the whole show.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Who is watching Terrace House Aloha State!?

I just found out there's only eight episodes out and I'm dying.
I'm two episodes in and I'm rooting for the good ukulele boy to make friends and find a girlfriend. :3:

I only recently finished the last season because I found some of the final cast members so frustrating to watch that I dragged my feet on the last few episodes. Man, absolutely everything to do with Riko and Hayato's non-romance was a drag. It was such a relief when Riko decided not to show up that I actually said "GOOD" out loud. I'm still glad that the McElroy brothers gushed about it till I started watching, and it was all still better than any episode of The Bachelor that I've seen. I always listen to Rose Buddies the day it comes out but I think I actually like RB better for not actively exposing myself to the trash fire that is the show itself.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

which was the one where they just entirely wound up talking about themselves/making fun of justin's frosted tips?

Episode 259, Birthday Surprise Hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Their interactions with the mayor were absolutely some of the best parts of the show. Their meeting about the Rancho parade and Griffin's insistence that nobody tell on them to the mayor are honestly one of my favorite moments.
Came here to post something like this, now that I can finally watch the series in Canada. All the goofs are fantastic and I also love that everyone they meet seems so good at going along with the series' tone.