Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
On the Nick+Griffin shows, they usually acted more gentle and quiet compared to abrasive and brash video game show hosts, and Griffin would occasionally refer to Nick as his sweet sweet boy. Fan feedback created a loop where they would be goofier and sweeter on the shows. Sadly it seems Nick was just a bad dude who abused his screen persona, brother's fame, and his relationship with Vox to be a loving creep.

I feel bad for the women involved, I feel bad for Griffin and Justin, and more selfishly, I'm at a loss since like 2/3 of my video game viewing content featured Nick Robinson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Android Blues posted:

I can't even imagine Nick and Griffin talking to each other on mic at this point. All the air would be sucked out of the room. Griffin strikes me as a guy who's all about doing comedy with people he feels comfortable with.

Griffin seems to have a mean streak sometimes, too. Not a vindictive one, and I know he hams it up for the camera, but sometimes I glean a bit of anger. Growing up in West Virginia with two older brothers would make it completely understandable.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I can't really think of one... Elaborate?

If the three, Travis definitely seems like the most sensitive and empathetic and maybe Griffin the least, if agree with that, but I can't think of any mean streak.

I think in just a general sense. I don't mean it to be a character judgement. I just think of when he does his rants and his barbs directed at the brothers (and sometimes Nick in CGI) -- I used to act like that character when drunk because at first it got laughs, but if you let it go it gets mean.

Personally their brand of comedy comes off as very genuine, so for me it feels like a natural conclusion that he could be a bit of a jerk without thinking about it, but he seems to channel his anger towards his art which is good.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I don't think getting annoyed at your teammates during a multiplayer game (especially Russ) is indicative of any hidden darkness. Not accusing anyone here of anything, but there's this tendency to pedestalize the McElroys (and by extension, Nick) as Perfect Good Boys, and that kinda contributed to this whole thing hitting as hard as it did. You can also see this pedestalization backfiring during the whole TAZ graphic novel debacle, where anything that goes against that Perfect Good Boy image people have of them is met with scorn. I think this is a good reality check for a lot of people that these people are human, and they make mistakes.

Pretty much this. However I still think they're great dudes who try really hard to be compassionate, fun, and understanding, and they've owned up to the time they've fallen short of being nice dudes.

Audiences are a blessing and a curse, especially when your brand consists of the world's view of your entire family.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
All accusations, whether from credible sources or friends of a friend of a person on the internet are valid.

Nick bad, so what?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Stroop There It Is posted:

lol

I can't stop pronouncing it that way even around people who won't get it, not that it comes up frequently

ChEEze peeZZa

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

well why not posted:

Yeah, there's such a different slant to it from other shows. I think the fact that it's hosted by women is definitely part of the reason it's so different to most podcasts. Obviously, they're cool people, but they have a really different take on what most vidya game discussion is.

Griffin's Banana / Vore Branding Hell is my new favourite running gag.

I love when Travis tried being the littlest brother in the intro.

"That's right, put on that loving diaper."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Crindee posted:

Catching up on the last Awful Squad and saw this treasure:

- Russ enters house, notices zombie following him, panics, shuts door
- Russ sees gun on the floor, immediately forgets about zombie despite already having similar gun
- zombie basically instantly gets past the door and starts punching Russ from behind while he's in inventory dick-around mode
- Russ finally turns around and fires... with the empty gun he failed to load

He's not bad, he's a performance artist and you guys just don't get it.

The Andy Kaufman of PUBG

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Do I really have to loving slog through a thousand hours of podcast to hear TAZ or is there an abridged set of episodes?

gently caress I really just don't have time for the whole thing.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Because I don't believe that every hour of content on the adventure zone could possibly increase the value of the story; it's over 80 hours long.

And judging it against mbmbam is really obtuse, there's not a greater mbmbam narrative.

And I WANT to experience it but that is a large time commitment.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I've listened to like five episodes so far, but it's taken me hours to get there since I can only listen during my commute.

Sorry I took such a hostile tone, but sometimes when the McElroy's are having fun, the boys lose their sense of structure and timing; I was wondering if there were moments I could afford to cut from the experience or not.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Chieves posted:

Comedy option: Just listen to the "Previously On" segments at the beginning of each episode.

LMAO genius.

misadventurous posted:

Just listen all of to it and enjoy it's funny and good and absolutely loving free. Or uhh don't.

Imagine complaining because there are hours of entertaining pod content out there that you have no obligation to listen to

Hey imagine really not having time to listen in even though you really enjoy it, and being envious of the people who've been able to catch this from the beginning.

Just imagine!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Boy howdy that latest mbmbam was.... Something.

That bit was just the worst. I think they knew it was loving poison but couldn't find a graceful way to kill it.

E: because Travis loves sad libs, I blame every weird bit on him.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 22, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

heckyeahpathy posted:

Is this the first time the brothers have been even a little bit political on MBMBAM? I was really surprised by the Bannon joke, because they seem to take such pains to steer clear of of real world stuff even as it sometimes lingers over the episode.

(obviously gently caress Steve Bannon with a dead dog's dick)

I've wonky worked through like half their backlog but yeah they take pretty good care to avoid political poo poo aside from doing the onion version of Joe Biden goofs and the Barack Hussein Obama (a lot of people forget the Hussein).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Norse Code posted:

"Daniel, why aren't you out slingin' pizzas?"

"I SHOT A KID."

Ok nevermind that's probably one of the hardest laughs I ever had in a recent episode

Also the news.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SpacePig posted:

Hi, I know it's 1 in the morning, but I only just stumbled across this and I don't think I've seen it posted here before.
https://youtu.be/EaJdJQ7Ct08

Griffin that mustache made my wife recoil in horror.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So I'm really enjoying TAZ as slowly as it's coming along.

Justin is truly the best player so far, in terms of playing the character and not cheating.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I get kind of tired of his "Ok for this this turn" take five minutes to describe twelve actions he's taking in a turn.

Like, sorry the other guys chose wizards and just pretend to have whatever spell prepared they want, but you're bringing everything to a crawl dude.

For some reason that doesn't bug me as much as Travis's infinite "luck" and uncanny perception (that his character doesn't have).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Serf posted:

I feel like Travis' cheating is good-natured and the others call him out on it enough that it is a joke at this point.

The revelation that Justin and Clint do not make eye contact while recording was funny to me.

Justin getting fed up with his dad's jokes in character was pretty great.

*Clint bad character voice* "My name is--"
*Taako voice* "Oh that won't do at all..."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Leospeare posted:

I saw Charlie's name right after Justin's in the title of the recent Awful Squad episode and I got confused/excited for the new direction of The Charlie and Daddy Show.

Turns out it was some grown-up, though. Justin, let your daughter play the murder game!

https://mobile.twitter.com/justinmcelroy/status/850779795608743936?lang=en

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It was Pulse. If I'm not mistaken they record the week of and cut it next day.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm not sure how anyone could read this and not instantly think "this person is definitely a cop"

Because, sadly, cops do not give a solitary gently caress about sexual harassment on the internet.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My new job rotation is on graves so I've been flying through TAZ. Still think that Justin is the best player, Travis is the worst loving cheater if ALL time, and their dad is the best.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mikedawson posted:

E2: It was probably a goof, but I was kind of astounded when Justin seemed to have no idea what he was supposed to do when a character died.

He knows what to do. You loot it.

Also, I think the number one role of DnD is that the rules shouldn't overrule fun, and the boys know fun. I'm only just wrapping up the Murder on the Rockport Limited story, but DnD is collaborative story telling, and Justin is making the best calls to be his character in the story -- what would Taako do, vs What would I do.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
E★MO★TION

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lin-Manuel_Miranda?wprov=sfla1

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jim the Nickel posted:

Same. I was at that live show, and I'm pretty sure Griffin was banking on more Austin locals to pick up on it, since it was mostly filmed in the area.

Filmed indoors at my high school! Billy Bob Thornton was poking fun of my friends when they were cast as extras, because they were TOO EIGHTIES and had to change their wardrobe.

They basically dressed like how a high schooler thought the eighties looked like, regardless of the locale, time if year, or the part of the decade. Not everyone dressed like Flash Dance or the Cure.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Holy poo poo Jon Bois and McElroys. I need it. He could definitely kill a cool games hole, based on CardShow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P30pv8RfK3I

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Guess the boys aren't Always Sunny fans

Empathetic people tend not to like cringe humor.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

I think it's more that people with social anxiety can't stand cringe humor, which the brothers have definitely mentioned they suffer. I can't loving stand things like the UK Office because horrible social situations just hit that anxious part of my brain. It's connected to empathy, I guess though, since I'm over identifying with the characters.

Sorry this is more what I mean. Seriously, gently caress I cannot watch more than a few minutes of Always Sunny not because it's not funny but it's just too much.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Trabandiumium posted:

Have you only tried watching season 1 or something? After that the characters become more and more like caricatures and basically lack social awareness to be embarassed about anything they do.

Maybe that's my problem? I haven't actually watched past the first season, but my comment came from the experiences of s friends and myself.

Crocoswine posted:

I have never heard of Always Sunny being classified as "cringe humor" before. Like, I know what you're referring to, but I've never gotten that feeling from the show because the characters are universally loving awful people. They will always make the worst decisions, and they will always get and deserve the worst possible consequences.

I'm not sure what to classify it as, sorry. I'm able to handle Archer pretty well, so it's surprising to me that I couldn't bring myself to keep watching Sunny.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
God I loathe those ten loving seconds mashing the 30s skip button during maxfuncon.

Not a joke. Wish there was a donation special where you buy no more ads on downloads. I hate it. I know for a loving fact they don't use every product like they're forced to say and hearing them say "they love it" every week only serves to magnify the insincerity.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kenny Logins posted:

Posting on the page that is the office suite number for Dr. Toboggan, Your Weediatrician.

That was by far the best audience question I've ever heard.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Clint is the best brother. (I know it's been posted recently but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpAy2IdYugg)

Maybe if Travis watched this he wouldn't have done a hit on Justin.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Travis always seemed like the oldest brother. He seems the wisest. Justin always seemed like the middlest because of being so goofy.

Justin comes off like every oldest brother I've met, where he acts kind of aloof and know it all ish. Like when he refers to their dad as his dad.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Unless...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm going to be really, really interested to see how TAZ works with somebody else at the wheel.

Justin is the best brother because he sings.

Aren't juice and ditto both musically inclined?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm in my office parking lot, in my car, crying over the end of TAZ.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It hit me doubly hard when I realised that Clint and the boys lost their real wife/mother.

Those sentiments would be deeply meaningful to all of them, least of all Travis, whose keynote mentioned how his podcasting enabled him to cope with the loss if his mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Holy poo poo the Austin show is loving amazing.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in... real... life....