Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

For anyone that can't read Japanese: The red text across the MBMBAM text says "Zag"

Also just finished watching the show with one of my friends, and we both loved the poo poo out of it. My two favorite episodes are definitely 2 and 4, Safety Town and Griffin's constant dabbing killed me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Dude has made multiple videos about loving sonic

Gonna need some help about what part you're emphasizing here, cause yeah Nick's a fan of Sonic games, but I'm not sure he's made videos about actually having sex with the hedgehog, unless you count that one episode of Touch the Skyrim?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Mikey Purp posted:

I think some people are just aurally challenged because Justin and Travis really don't sound much alike at all.

I think I had somewhat of a headstart since I was introduced to McElroys through Monster Factory, so I could already tell Justin and Griffin apart by the time I started listening to MBMBaM.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Kenny Logins posted:

It would be cool if Merle got some wicked sick magic-arm and/or eye upgrades to help him just kick all kinds of rear end. Like putting the Phoenix Fire Gauntlet on the end of his arm and his eyepatch trades out for the Oculus, since they've been drained they could have more balanced powers now.

It's a bit silly/over-the-top but it would be an apropos transition into a Clint-run supers game.

Yeah I'm fully expecting something like this or Merle becomes the ultimate Pokemon Master as every god still in existence starts channeling their power through him and he just summons SHITLOADS of angels/demons/etc. to fight the Hunger

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
Yeah I feel like Griffin's coming at storytelling in TAZ as vaguely video game-y, by which I mean "sometimes there are cutscenes with plot stuff," and that seems perfectly fine to me, so eat it, people who get mad at podcasts!!!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

DoombatINC posted:

Munch Squad is probably my favorite bit they've ever had, and every time Justin starts rumbling that telltale riff under his breath I start grinning and bouncing in my chair :neckbeard:

I love munch squad and the fact that Justin does the little guitar riff thing, but it always irks me the tiniest bit that he's doing the I Wanna Rock riff wrong every time :negative:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Ojjeorago posted:

The sad thing about the TAZ fandom being crazy racist is that it's starting to spread to other McElroy Cinematic Universe products. Someone on the Rose Buddies page wanted Griffin to stop saying boy because there was a black person.

Yeah, it always feels like there's this group of people on the internet looking up the most esoteric, ancient, no-longer-used forms of racism throughout history who then use that knowledge to accuse almost anything of being racist, to the point where now people are accusing blue-skinned elf Taako as offensive to Jews, and Griffin of being racist because he says the word "boy" all the time. I think the shittiest thing it does is de-legitimize actual accusations of racism.

It makes it hard enough to describe people or characters in any medium, especially for the McElroys who are trying really really hard not to offend anyone, and whose fans seem to live off of this stuff.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

inthesto posted:

The raccoon person was obviously trying to show off how funny they were, but the brothers managed to squeeze some comedy out of that one.

The podcast guy was just a total rear end and I'm not going to be sad when he gets edited out.

Yeah as weird/bad as those first two were the rest of the show was fantastic and the last three questions made my face hurt. Good on the people who had to follow up the loving bone folder question.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

inthesto posted:

My jaw hit the loving floor when like 20% of the audience had used one before

There was someone sitting next to me that had her hand up when they asked. I figured it must've been a lot of mass art students or people that had interned at the MFA or something because that's the only explanation I could think of

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Who What Now posted:

I too let something like a transition that lasts less than a second ruin my enjoyment of things.

Nobody said it made the entire video bad, they're just pointing out that they don't like the new transitions. I think they're kinda weird, too. Sorta miss the old title card, also.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Not Operator posted:

Everyone on that games QA team should be fired forever for not reporting all these bugs with the character creator.

BUG: nose can accommodate all other facial features
BUG: bangs can stack (indefinitely?)
BUG: socks can be worn with sandals unironically

It's spelled F-E-A-T-U-R-E, come on now

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

inthesto posted:

It was seriously like 20% of the audience, which blew my mind because I'd never heard of a bone folder before

It was probably a lot of Mass Art students/people that have interned at the MFA, I think bone folders get used for random art things somewhat frequently.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

inthesto posted:

Unfortunately, they cut an audience question where the asker said she looked too young, and the crazy reveal was that she was only 18 years old. It had an amazing line by Travis: "If you want to look older, try to look younger".

Why that got cut and the first two questions got to stay are beyond me.

Yeah, as someone who went to both Boston live shows, I can confirm they didn't cut anything.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

She mentioned Pride at a show that happened in September. The dude who asked about tipping Christmas carollers was roughly as seasonally appropriate.

Boston pride was in June, so she was only a few months off assuming she's somewhat local.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Kenny Logins posted:

I finished it just now and while it's not fatal or necessarily going to persist into the "real" episodes, Griffin is having a hard time letting go of being "the host" and "the producer" and Clint comes off more like a hired writer/director. I don't really blame Griffin too much as he's probably anxious about audience retention.

Haven't yet listened to it, but this does make sense since Griffin's been the host/producer of the podcast for 3 years, and even though Clint is now the GM, it's still Griffin's podcast, I'm assuming Clint isn't doing the editing or anything.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Awww, Griffin plays Stardew Valley. Of course he does.

I think in a polygon video he said it was one of his favorite games the year it came out on pc, so he's definitely double-dipping on the switch port

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

da beeper king BABY posted:

Yeah he needs to chill out a bit, from what I understand Kardala is supposed to be the hostile one. I don't think having two thirds of the party being jerks who don't care about anyone but themselves is a recipe for fun.

Nadiya is Travis' character, the scientist who gets stretchy powers, Justin's character, Irene, is the HR person who transforms into Kardala.

Oh wait, misread your post, nvm.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
DRUGS FOR SALE is the greatest skateboarding trick known to man

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
I've never watched it, but I feel like I don't really need to since I'll get a yearly recap of the entire movie by five hilarious gentlemen.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Pastrymancy posted:

YOU USED TO BE MY BROTHER MY BROTHER AND ME

ARE YOU POSSESSED?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Mikedawson posted:

I've been thinking about this for the last few days, so I wanted to bring it up here:

For all it's ups and downs, twentyserpentine feels like the most successful "year theme" in a while. The brothers have improved their lives and Will Be In Trolls 2, the TV show got released, TAZ: Balance ended. Projects of all sorts began and ended and continued. And that's not even beginning to get into the larger scale of things. What have you done to Zag On Em this year?

I improved my life and broke bad habits by finding employment, a learner's permit, and taking better care of myself and my home. Somehow got ahold of an SNES classic despite the odds.

I moved into a better apartment closer to some other friends and dyed my hair blue, so at least that part of 2017 was pretty good

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Supercar Gautier posted:

I would not be shocked if one or more of the brothers is racking their brain for a scenario that involves making one of the players retrieve an item from a toilet.

or some kind of weird The Most Dangerous Game thing with too many dated pop culture references

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
How did no one put together that the 7 parrots are clearly stacked in a trenchcoat to create the 7-foot-tall WINGED CREATURE seen in the area

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Tears In A Vial posted:

It definitely is. I'm loving the strings in there.

sounds like he's using more garageband loops that are also used in the Bastion soundtrack, always makes for cool music

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Ainsley McTree posted:

Have they said that they’re planning to take one of the short arcs and make it the next big one if it works out? I had been under the impression that they already knew what season 2 was going to be, and all these short arcs were going to be short for sure.

I wouldn’t mind the prologue nature except that I know that the adventure is going to be a short one-off; I feel like if you’re going to do a short one, you should jump right into it rather than spending extended amounts of time building the backlog or trying to establish rich complicated personalities for your character that’s only going to be in like 5 episodes and then go away forever (lookin at you, Nadia jones)

I dunno, I’m still gonna tune in every week and look forward to it, but this is the internet and I have ~~opinions~~

I thought they said they were gonna do a bunch of short arcs and then they'd pick what they thought was the best one to continue

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Chieves posted:

Yeah, considering during balance he was the only one of the 3 doing a consistent voice at all.

Also Clint and Travis' voices weren't terrible, but they were pretty much just doing "their normal voice, but more gravel"

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Quest For Glory II posted:

Learning game maker seems like learning piano, where it's more about the time investment than difficulty curve, and I just don't have the time to invest so it will always be a mystery

Griffin should consider entering a game jam

Yeah, I was not expecting that video to turn into Griffin making Henry Hatsworth except it's a turn-based RPG

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
It took me a second to realize that Griffin was doing the first Munch Squad but once he and Justin were talking at the same time I was :allears:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Ariong posted:

One more bit of speculation: since this system apparently requires each player to specify their character’s race and gender (or maybe just sex?) the characters of this world might have appearances that are more set in stone than characters from past arcs.

Race kindof, but not gender, there's an appearance and you pick from "male, female, androgynous, transgressive," but it's similar to the DnD character appearance "options" on a character sheet in that they're just examples that help you come up with a character quickly, you're not bound to them.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Bobulus posted:

Oh, god drat it. Griffin thinks dogs should be able to vote.

...gently caress

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Seluin posted:

Thank Travis for Justin

Thank Clint for Travis

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Raserys posted:

The most disappointing thing about these adventure zone mini arcs is that Griffin always does the ads

I was so excited for Clint to read sponsor messages

Yeah, regardless of who the dm is, it's still Griffin's podcast

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm surprised no one mentioned how super suspicious it was that Liam's digger gloves had both been recently cleaned AND were covered in dust. My guess is that he killed the guy, then cleaned the blood off the gloves, then put silver dust on the gloves to hide the fact they had just been cleaned. Pretty sure that was a major clue they didn't pick up on.

Yeah, I was thinking this as well, but I was also starting to get suspicious of Connor (the Sheriff?) since I think he's said the least about himself, and it doesn't feel like the Banshee would lie about something like that

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, it was better than Amnesty in that it was a role playing game.

Yeah, it did feel a lot less rail road-y, though if they go with Amnesty hopefully that's just because Griffin really needed to nail down a lot of plot.

I also like how Dust, unlike Amnesty, doesn't do the "main characters know a secret that they have to keep from everyone else" thing, that both Amnesty AND Balance did.

I think I liked the setting of Commitment the best, I really like superhero stories, though I wish Griffin's character was a little more interesting. I ended up liking Amnesty a lot more at the end, but it felt like it took a while to get there. Dust is also my favorite by far. The main characters are all great and the setting is cool as gently caress. I really like how different and non-combat-oriented it was, as well. Made it really interesting, even though I like a lot of the fights from Balance. Excited to see what they're announcing next week.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
Was I the only one that burst out laughing when Connors said "I thought you'd be here tomorrow"?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Asiina posted:

This really is disappointing and I'll probably stop listening. Griffin has managed to get worse with the railroading over time rather than better, I really hate the setting (I also find the accents annoying), and other than Duck I didn't really like any of the characters, including the NPCs.

I've been DMing for a little bit and I find the most fun I have is when the characters are in a situation, so I come up with a little thing on the fly to see how they'll react and then it ends up really taking off as they engage with it and make it their own. It feels like with Griffin every time someone does something he didn't anticipate completely, he pushes them back on track to the point that he will start narrating that character's thoughts and actions.

I think the most frustrating part about Griffin's DMing style is that his family is completely fine with it because they all trust him to tell a cool story. It makes the podcast more of a radio play than a family playing an RPG together, but even a radio play would be better because Griffin wouldn't be narrating Justin/Travis/Clint's actions.

I was fine with it in Balance because it felt like a video game, sometimes there were cutscenes and sometimes there was actual gameplay. But in Amnesty it was like 90% Griffin narrating stuff and 10% his family actually trying to play a game. I'm really hoping he reins it in once they start for real and he isn't trying to establish a huge backstory by keeping all the PCs apart because I really love the Gravity Falls-esque setting, but I wouldn't be surprised if this makes me drop TAZ.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

BobTheJanitor posted:

So many people itt personally wounded by Griffin's DMing. Please, keep us updated on how much you won't be listening to this arc. Amnesty's great, TAZ is great. Looking forward to more of Ned's scams, Duck and his sassy sword, and Aubrey and Dr. Harris Bonkers, PhD. I hope they dedicate an entire episode to the adventures of the monkeycheese rabbit, just to especially annoy the negative nerds in this thread. :getin:

I mean, anyone who hates the rabbit that much probably wouldn't be listening, but I'm not gonna kinkshame

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Supercar Gautier posted:

Duck Newton should kiss Ned's secret twin brother who's been trapped in Sylvain for years.

No Duck should kiss his sword

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

thexerox123 posted:

Here's the thing, though... that's a subjective opinion. So we don't need paragraphs upon paragraphs proving the point behind someone's opinion.

Like, what's the point? Trying to prove to other people that they should find it boring as well?

Yeah, what IS the point of talking about your opinions? This thread should be nothing but cold, hard, FACTS about the McElroys and with no praise or complaints or discussion. I'll start:

Griffin thinks dogs should vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

thexerox123 posted:

There's a difference between posting opinions and posting a persuasive essay about your opinions.

Yeah, one fosters discussion, one does not. It's a lot easier to have a conversation about something if it's a little more than just "I like x" "I do not like x" "Ok"