Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

So Facebook and Twitter make people crazy, got it.

Just lol at that insane reaction to Travis’ innocuous tweet, that is some prime Twitter right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

I wonder if they left because they were planning on shifting to a more serious format.

I have to think Polygon would have done almost anything to get Justin and Griffin to stay and drive in McElroy traffic

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

No reason to do any work for Polygon except stop in for a cameo for fun. Especially donating a 100k+ view Monster Factory.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

PUBG is a tense milsim Arma spinoff-spinoff that was more successful than anyone could have ever expected. if you think the matches are too long then maybe it's not for you but I would call that a feature, not something they should have "fixed" to make it more like Fortnite

I just think holding PUBG up to the standard of "bonafide cultural phenomenon" is a little tough, considering the game that it is. I'm not even sure how Fortnite got there but it for sure made a lot of compromises that I don't think improve the experience.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 22, 2018

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

It’s different even if the format is the same. There’s a certain dynamic that isn’t there when they’re together performing for a crowd. I think the live shows are only okay and I definitely get why people would be turned off from them.

I skip 'em. there is definitely a "performance" aspect that I don't love (this kinda goes for any live podcast) matched with the overenthusiastic crowd. I think they do a good job if you like live shows in general but not my cup of tea

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Goddamn, Justin during the “secret toilet” question had me dying.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bert Roberge posted:

Oh god it would sound like incomprehensible gibberish with people randomly screaming in-jokes and laughing.

This is more or less my impression of MBMBAM live show audiences

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Travis is JaVale McGee

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

hard pass

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I’m checking out some old episodes and 138 is a delightful little time capsule where Justin has to explain what both twerking and Snapchat are

These old episodes are a little darker than their current style. I dig it

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I find Wonderful kind of grating to listen to, the whole thing is just a little twee for my taste

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 1, 2019

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

They need to give Spy Party another round because that was fantastic, even if it wasn’t actually a Monster Factory

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Max Fun seems fine but I'm a little surprised the McElroy company hasn't left just because they're big enough to at this point. Like why give anyone else a cut?

Maybe they don't want to cripple the network by having thousands of donors pull out all at once

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think if they went full Patreon they'd probably have the biggest one almost immediately. People know their release schedule already.

Crocoswine posted:

edit: or understanding that maxfun isn't built upon the backs of the mighty mcelroy giants, and that they won't immediately implode if they were to pull out

it would be a massive loss for the network

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hmm, I would have thought they had some kind of deal with Polygon to produce Monster Factory videos for Polygon and not effectively halve their viewing stats by also hosting them on the McElroy channel

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I also really enjoyed "I patronus my local theater, but showed up a few months early". Sleep-deprived Dad Justin is one of my favorite characters, right after Nastyman

Wouldn’t be surprised to see this as a new Louie Zong joint

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Morbid curiosity got me to look up the group in question and apparently they banned discussing fidget spinners due to... ableism

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

huh weird. granted I don't listen to that show but I thought the initial pitch was reasonable at least.

of course, then it turns into "you need to do this, and if you choose not to you're part of the problem", which I guess is what the hosts took issue with.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I wrote a letter to Rafael Palmeiro as a kid and he didn't write me back, the fucker. maybe it saved me from a life of celebrity worship

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

is Justin doing a "smoke the whole pack" thing with Munch Squad so we'll be glad it's gone? because... it's working

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I don’t even care about the Brands aspect, I just think they have mined all of the comedy from that particular bit and it’s getting redundant.

This is my opinion about every recurring bit now that I think about it

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

People also thought Griffin invented dabbing right?

Get out more, people

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I was bracing for a cringey disaster but that was really drat good

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Do the bros have a previous connection with Eisenberg?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Why does MBMBaM have guests if they're barely going to promote or advertise them beyond one line buried in the show notes? I would think they would at least stick it in the title to drive listenership, or mention it at the top of the show.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

SpacePig posted:

There's probably metrics showing that people are more likely to skip promotional segments if they know they're coming.

I just assumed it was supposed to be a mutually beneficial arrangement, a la TV talk shows.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Security cameras helped ID and catch a guy that had broken into a half dozen houses over the course of two weeks in my neighborhood

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

This might be the TAZ I finally stick with. I enjoyed Travis’ character work a lot.

Justin’s character is probably the most interesting and his moment with Pegasus was good enough that I kinda can’t believe it was improvised? And Griffin gradually revealing his character’s horrible insecurity was great.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not a TAZ veteran - how long between episodes usually?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I liked it but definitely am having trouble keeping track of the NPCs

edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheAdventureZone/comments/dqv1c3/list_of_character_names_from_graduation/

This is helpful!

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 15, 2019

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

weirdly enough I initially became aware of them from Justin hosting the Polygon's Quality Control podcast, and then saw some of their Polygon Youtube vids. The Final Pam is what hooked me.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I get that it's a MBMBaM staple now but I find the dunking on Travis thing kind of uncomfortable

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

just show them this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfR7cskIrsg

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

yeah but now they're all adults and I would not want my brothers to try to embarrass me for not being funny on my own comedy podcast that's also my career

obviously I have no idea how Travis feels and it's been happening so long that I'm sure you're right. I personally just get second-hand embarrassment from it

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

MBMBaM was very good this week.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Re: TAZ - They have got to get out of this school and further the plot some. Justin and Griffin killed it as usual.

Also don’t understand the obsession with what they’re all eating all the time

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I don't need them to save the world, but if they're gonna fight I'd like some stakes. Also I wouldn't mind if they just didn't fight because I find listening to DnD fighting mechanics very tedious to follow.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I guess tighter editing is what I’m looking for. Right now I tend to zone out which sucks because the battles take so long, so I feel like if I’m not following what’s going on I just missed like half the ep.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Steak posted:

"wonderful" is a good podcast

it's just a little too twee my for taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ron Bennington has a saying - you have to either tell a joke, or be the joke.

I absolutely do not believe Travis is purposefully being unfunny, but I do appreciate his willlingness to continually take it on the chin when his stuff falls flat. Though I’d appreciate him more if he actually had funny bits.