Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

Dolash posted:

I think Amnesty was fun and interesting, even though I think the system is not a great fit for their group dynamic, as without stronger structural limits and more defined powers for the players Griffin is more likely to take control and the players are inclined to let him. The story was heavy on setup and one-on-one interactions, but I don't think that's inherently wrong to try out in what's both te "pilot" for a structured tv-inspired campaign and a deliberate experiment. I do think it might be good to see Griffin try more open-ended, open-world stuff though, the 11th hour was a good example of that.

These kind of complaints bug me a little bit, because I feel like I wouldn't have walked away from Amnesty with a positive impression of MotW if I didn't already know that Griffin is strongly running against how the book tells you to do things. Which is fine, it's his podcast, but it's not really a system problem-- the game has some pretty strict instructions about the structure, but the thing about being a GM is that you can always ignore that in any system. D&D does not inherently give you more tools to say "screw you, dad, the plot's going this way now" if you don't give the players the chance to do that, you know?

The way MotW is meant to be played per the book is:
- The players come up with a bunch of connections to each other and start with the group pre-formed.
- The GM comes up with a monster and a situation and a couple NPCs, but explicitly not a whole big plotline.
- The players direct everything from there, the GM is purely reactive.

And whether or not you liked Amnesty or think that it's a valuable experiment, I think you can probably agree that's not really a description of the game that they played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

Speaking of podcasters who happen to be gay, on my trek through the mbmbam backlog I found out that Jonathan Van Ness of Queer Eye has a podcast that used to be on Max Fun and is now on Earwolf. Any story behind why he left? Is his podcast any good?

Getting Curious wasn't pulling in enough money on MaxFun to cover the cost of production, basically; as far as I can tell the split was amicable. Earwolf's funding model not being "annual fund drive" is probably a lot better for most podcasts that can't cultivate a McElroy style following, if I had to guess. Throwing Shade was self-sufficient, but from what I remember they left not long after the TV show came out because they felt like they could make more money/reach more people with a different podcast network.

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

There's a live episode of the vore podcast Big Gulp in the MaxFun donors feed around the 2015 area. I think once you charge people to access your vore podcast you are basically cursed to be Vore Boy forevermore.

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

I think Hodgman's still in there. It sounds like he's the one who says "comedy and culture" now.

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

It doesn't seem likely to me that Griffin would just say "oops, well, ya dead, roll up a new guy" at this point without offering other options, considering how carefully managed the story's been so far. Even in Balance, they had a whole episode they redid because they felt bad about the way it played out. And just on the mechanical end, I'm pretty sure Ned still had Luck left he could have burned in that scene, plus one of the examples for Big Magic in the book is resurrecting a dead PC-- they could have tried to Pet Sematary that fool at any point if they wanted. He's almost definitely gone because they felt it was a better/more dramatic story if he bowed out the way he did.

Wasn't there a mention of Clint wanting Merle to die heroically in Balance somewhere too? I wouldn't be surprised if he held on to that idea and planned around Ned beefing it from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

docbeard posted:

I think it's the Stolen Century episode with the artificially preserved consciousnesses or something, it's been a long time since I've listened to it, but I think they re-recorded the ending because they all looked back five seconds after they wrapped the first time and went "...naah"

Yeah, that's the one. Stolen Century Episode 61, they rerecorded the back part. They talk about it in The The Adventure Zone Zone: Balance Finale Edition, about 1:16:00. Originally, they blew up the robot soul crystal and doomed their civilization to prevent them from getting eaten by the Hunger and bounced. Everybody felt bad about how it went down, so they redid it, and in the final cut, Taako preserves their soul crystal and Lup gives a speech about how it would be wrong to doom the robot civilization. This was apparently the only moment they redid, at least as of that TTAZZ.