Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

inthesto posted:

Color me surprised that there's so many people who aren't enjoying this arc, because I love it to pieces. Maybe it's because of the type of player and DM that I am, because I really enjoy situations that put characters under duress and force them to make tough choices. It's a noticeable departure from the usual tone of the series, but honestly I don't think it's that far of a cry from the finale of Eleventh Hour.

Plus the rougher the story gets, the more involved Magnus seems to be, and that's frankly my favorite part.

I've never played Dungeons and Dragons. I don't hate the arc, but it's just a little too rote for me. The constant cycle of fight-sacrifice-fight-sacrifice prevents the cast from exerting much agency and Griffin's reminders about the "black clouds of smoke" seem to put a damper on the cast's jokes for fear that they could accidentally feed the liches. Conceptually, it makes sense to introduce a real, permanent threat as the penultimate peril but it gives the arc an oppressive atmosphere. As much as I enjoy Griffin's storytelling, I started listening to this podcast for the goofs and it's tendency to veer off into strange territory. Neither of those things are really the focus of this session. I don't know what this says about me, but my approach to the arc after the first round of sacrifices would have been to say, "screw this" and keep accepting penalties ad infinitum. That's not because I would want to game the narrative/radio show format, but because I really detest the antagonists and how little control the cast seems to have.

I haven't read any fan theories (or this thread really), but my expectation would be for the story to veer into Portal territory wherein the cast escapes to the space between the rooms. If that's the case, it will be a relief. I'm ready for them to wreck some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Ariong posted:

This podcast is very much an improv exercise with the four participants. (as any DnD game ought to be) Good improv, as I understand it, happens when your fellow actors have a "yes, and" mentality, taking what you give them and rolling with it. What you're suggesting is the opposite, kind a "no, but" mentality. If you don't like the way the story is going , you can talk with your DM about it, but don't just have your character sit down and refuse to play the game until your DM makes up something else

That's fair and I apologize for the apparent display of bad gamemanship. I think I am just getting frustrated with how little progress the characters seem to have made and am ready for, as Asiina said, " to [have them] say gently caress it and burn it all down." Kind of doubt I would ever play Dungeons and Dragons, but I'll keep your advice in mind if the opportunity ever arises.

The McElroy Family seems cool and I wish I had discovered this podcast empire a little sooner than I did.

thebardyspoon posted:

For me the only issue with this arc is that there's no fun NPCs for them to bounce off or have conversations with, like Angus, Hurley, the BoB crew or the people in the town in the last arc. Those are the most memorable bits of the previous arcs to me, less so the fights and the "story" stuff.

I feel this too. I really miss the different NPCs and the liches have been really one-note thus far.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 27, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I wonder if Griffin went back to listen to the first few episodes, because the moment the Red Robe started talking, I went, "I know exactly who this is."

That was a pretty stellar feeling.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

this episode rapidly advanced my theory that the director is garfield the deals warlock in disguise

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 13, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Except for the whole thing about the Taco Truck kid, that was a good episode. It is nice to see Griffin pull almost every character back into the finale.

Also, are there any non-McElroy podcasts on Maximum Fun that are worth listening to? I tried listening to "Dead Pilots Society" and it was just awful.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

El Padrino posted:

With Travis running the donor campaign, Griffin finishing his run and Justin on record saying that he has 0 interest in DMing, yeah, Clint running Dadventure Zone is more than likely.

Isn't the plan for them to do a bunch of one-offs for a while to experiment with settings and mechanics?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I don't know enough about the accusations or the people involved and will wait until an official company response or some substantive reporting outside the confines of Twitter.

lovely situation.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

well gently caress

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

rip cool games inc

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Why does Travis insist he's a "sexpert?"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i like the implication that his creeping on girls is bad only because he became internet famous

it isn't a good statement, but it's better than what i was expecting: nothing

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Asiina posted:

It could have been better, but honestly, I still think Nick is redeemable as a person.

I hope however defensive he feels about this he does come to understand what he's done and learns to be better.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is beyond salvation. I just think he needs to do a better job of coming to terms with his actions and improving from that than the apology demonstrated.

I hope he emerges as a better person, but I don't know when that will be. I am also not aware of what conversations occurred behind closed doors and obviously can't know what sort of legal/corporate restrictions were imposed on his statement.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 11, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Build-a-Boar posted:

My first MBMBAM fanart scribble

i'd get a shirt like this

tweet at justin and company

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

SoupyTwist posted:

Looks like Griffin's doing a voice in this Disney youtube thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJUnzXCiU8s

Is this the next setting for the Adventure Zone?

Waffleman_ posted:

He was also a voice on an episode of Cartoon Network's Clarence as a sportball announcer.

I'm holding out for a Duck Tales cameo.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Doctor Reynolds posted:

So... any theories on "Shrimp! Heaven! Now!"? What a puzzle.

pet semetary 3: david, we can't keep doing this

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Episode was good. The final fight gave me a bit of an Undertale vibe, but it was a solid episode. I'm curious to see what they do next.

Wasabi the J posted:

Do I really have to loving slog through a thousand hours of podcast to hear TAZ or is there an abridged set of episodes?

gently caress I really just don't have time for the whole thing.

I don't see how you could abridge it. I suppose you could always listen on 2x or 2.5x speed.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Bonk posted:

I really liked the finale and the entire body of the campaign. I started out way behind and then binged the whole thing over a few weeks in order to catch up before the 3-part finale. I wouldn't even be opposed to a re-listen just because of how much context of the story was set up early. Griffin really fleshed out and foreshadowed a ton of stuff in there, which is really surprising for his first creative writing effort.

The one thing I actively dislike though, is when Griffin's trying to do a cinematic representation of a scene and just straight up gives camera directions. Nothing takes me out of a story like "And then the camera pans up, and we see..." You aren't even supposed to do that in movie screenplays, let alone an audio-only story. The only time that ever comes up in film is in a shooting draft, which is literally so the camera crew knows what to do, but in a storytelling sense it's very narrative-breaking. I hope the next DM doesn't do it, there are so many better ways you can represent that in storytelling.

I am glad that I am not the only one who thinks this way. The cinematic storytelling is frustrating in a non-visual setting and I wish Griffin would stop doing it. I think the problem stems from his familiarity with video games and his unfamiliarity with books.

I thought about submitting a question about it for the Adventure Zone Zone, but realized that it would probably be mean and make me sound like a dick.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I liked how this episode's Money Zone veered rapidly into a Rick and Morty episode.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/899455810690052096

Looks like Travis is putting together his Western-themed game.

I'm hoping he goes all-out on the Old West/ folklore Americana setting. I would love to see something like William Gropper's map of America.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I don't think anyone is arguing that the twins were bad characters. They just weren't enough to carry an entire arc.

Also, does anyone have a timestamp for when the rando human appears in the PUBG stream?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

what broken person tried to tell the mcelroys about homestuck.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

SpacePig posted:

Resolving Kalan wouldn't really even work as a live show hook because, not only does Magnus not know why Taako & Merle want to kill him where he stands, he cannot possibly know. They do not know who or what Governor Kalan is other than a guy Magnus wants dead.

Honestly, it sounds like a Poirot-style mystery. How do you track down a murderer when the only living witness can't remember who he is or what he looks like?

I disagree that it can't work for a live show. It sounds like a good hook.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i don't know if the bean diet was worth it, but justin looks really good.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Under the Skin

but with Garettttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I know it's a joke, but...

The center of the pizza is the pie, right?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Once I thought that bland sit-down were the product of overworked television writers relying on common tropes to appease their producers.

Then, I listened to the Dead Pilots Society and realized that they really think that their shows are the height of comedy.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

the audience questions are consistently the worst part of the podcast. the raccoon and podcast promo guy were just bad.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 27, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

COME ON, IRENE!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm working my way through some the backlog and I'm real tired of the anti Jerry rhetoric on this show.

Literally any time some annoying character pops up in a bit, more than half a chance it's Jerry.

gently caress you guys I could be fun and you wouldn't even give me a chance. :mad:

Wow, way to ruin the fun, Jerry.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Nadiya might be a scosh more aggressive than Magnus

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I'm listening back to old episodes of MBMBaM and, boy howdy, do Jesse Thorn and company sound like grumps. In the space of 15 minutes, they shame people for enjoying Halloween, accuse a question asker of bragging about their romantic life, and tell someone to ignore texts from their friend.

Are they usually like this or was MBMBaM just a bad fit?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

remember that time that travis invented a theology around mangos?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I would have liked to see a little more forward momentum, but Kardala’s talk about Jesus and his terrible Bible was extremely good.

I also thought Nadia was much better this episode.

Still not sold on the arc, but it is growing on me.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

yo, gently caress monarchy

E: Poor Richard’s non-coup sure sounds a lot like a coup

E2: lol

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 1, 2017

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

the only thing that bothers me about the brothers is griffin's insistence on using camera pans to describe scenes in a non-visual medium

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

these really short pilots are not really conducive to comedy because the gm feels obligated to stuff as much world-building and set-up into it as possible. there's not a lot of room for the others to play in the space and it shows in the form of long monologues and video-gamey character introductions

i'd personally prefer the looser feel of early adventure zone instead of them trying to establish a cohesive narrative from day one, but they don't seem as interested in that

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Dust hits the ground running, I think this is already my favorite mini-arc so far.

I think it starting in media res, with all the characters in the same place and familiar with each other, helps

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

my favorite part of the latest adventure zone is the five minutes of everyone ragging on griffin for his weird bell maneuver

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

the last episode felt rushed and the final confrontation anti-climactic, but dust is still the best of the mini-arcs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i want dust to continue mainly so griffin can become fantasy america's first werewolf president and give dogs the right to vote