Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CronoGamer posted:

They've really become too much. I think having segments where they are included is fun, kinda like the Second Life pizza party, but the Faandies swarm him inescapably now and they're 90% unfunny. Just chill, guys.

Counterpoint: The Faandie who said "is this a vore thing" when he was a turkey cooking on a fire, and the Amiibo Corner letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Bramblepelt is another good introduction for a newbie. Or some of the early Money Zone jingles like Griffin's Space Jam are absolute gold.

[edit]I forgot they've been releasing MBMBaM samplers for years. Start people off with those.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 12, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Waffleman_ posted:

I think this episode of Peacecraft was something we desperately needed. The fan interaction did breathe life into the series, but it's been getting a bit excessive as of late, and now that Griffin has actual equipment and items, him going through Azeroth on his own isn't quite as dull to watch since he has options now.

Yeah, as with anything with a fanbase, they love doing the whole :regd08: thing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Extreme Restraints advertising still paying dividends long after they stopped.

Those were the best. I wonder how many takes it took for them to not giggle at some of the subject matter. The one when Sydnee was on the show where she audibly gasped at Justin saying he bought her a buttplug was one of the best moments because you can tell it genuinely caught her off guard.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ariong posted:

I don't know if it was the same one, but I really liked the one where Justin and Sydnee were having a converstion about how much they both like it when she puts his penis into a cage. What really made it great was that you could hear Travis and Griffin failing to stifle their laughter in the background.

Probably the same one. It was the live show with the really lovely blown out audio, so for the Money Zone they recorded segments at Justin's house.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pseudoscorpion posted:

gently caress me, I'm gonna have to donate, aren't i?

A one-time donation of $5 gets you every bonus for every podcast since 2010, so it's well worth it. You just have to remember to cancel if you don't want it recurring. If you cancel immediately you still get the membership for the month. Though I don't know if they take away your access after that.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 31, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tears In A Vial posted:

McElroy fans are still the worst part about being a McElroy fan.

______ fans are always the worst part about being a ______ fan.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I love that The Final Pam was just a reskin of the Undertaker.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Serf posted:

I was rewatching Second Life, Second Chances, and the fact that there is a naked avatar running around with the name "barrybluejeans" is an incredible coincidence.
The first time I watched the voting party it was on lovely laptop speakers. In the scene where he asks everyone to say Totino's over and over, I didn't notice until a rewatch that one dude in the background was just screaming "TOTIIIIINOOOOOOS!!!!!" at the top of his lungs a bunch of times.

Regarding D&D module chat, what's good these days? I haven't played in a long time (sans Pathfinder) but I have no idea what the module scene is anymore. Is Ravenloft still around?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The Blob is all-powerful. I never thought I'd see the day where something actually godtrashed the OVO. :stonk:

TACD posted:

Is there still a MBMBaM 'sampler' link or whatever? I want to introduce a friend but I'd rather give them a 5–10 minute series of clips rather than have them listen to a whole episode.

They've also done a few "Bro's Better, Bro's Best" greatest hits episodes on weeks when one of them isn't available. They're longer than the samplers so you might want to start newbie friends there.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Oh god the new hanging tether points are going to do so much for this series. I want to see them ram trucks into hanging cars.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned here already, but the top comment on the Some Sort of Digital Heaven video is Polygon saying "this is canon" and they added it to the Car Boys playlist.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm dying laughing at "You loving Cask of Amontillado'd his pissbush head!"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Waffleman_ posted:

Sims 4 is loving weird

They use mods in most of the MF games now, so it's not all the base game.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

:stare: i'm listening to the show backward and i've only gotten, like, three or four so far. The boys really relied on Extreme Restraints early on, huh?

Extreme Restraints would buy like 20 spots at a time, so it's not so much that they relied on them, they just had to fulfill their end of the deal over several months.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Raserys posted:

This theory does not adequately explain the origin of the Ovo, which also joined Nick and Griffin in the time ring

The pinned comment, which I'll post because I like it better than the "Blob = Ball" explanation in the video:

quote:

You're forgetting one important aspect: Ovo. In addition to Nick and Griffy, there are three entities trapped in the Time Ring: Blob, Ball, and Ovo. The destinies of all 5 characters are entwined. Ovo was the only thing they could use to fight Blob. Initially they hated and dismissed Ovo because they thought it didn't work, until they learned to love it - like how in the beginning Nick and Griffo both were excited by and kinda loved Blob until they learned that it was a monster. My point is that Ovo and Blob are opposites. One good, one Evil. One a pure white vision of hope, intentional design, and futuristic progress. The other? An endless black formless void of simplest mass and loathing. You know what's trapped there in the void with all of them? What is at both times a marriage and a distillation of black and white?

Ball. Blob is not Ball, Blob is the Evil in Ball, distilled, expanded, left to grow and pulse unbounded by time and space. Ovo is the Good in Ball. Indestructible, protective, left to iterate and refine. To become rigid and safe throughout eternity. And that's the 5 of them. Or should I say, the 3 of them. We thought we didn't discover Ball until the last few episodes. Really, he was there with us for a long, long time.

Ball being both black and white is such a perfect dumb explanation I can't hate it. And I love that Some Sort of Digital Heaven is canon.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Psychedelicatessen posted:

All the podcast ads are awful, even good shows like Sawbones or Taz sounds very bad and slash or obnoxious if you only listen to the ads. John Hodgecourt is the only one that actually sounds like something I would want to listen to. Throwing Shade is by far the worst and sometimes kills the good energy that an Extreme Restraints moneyzone adds to MBMBAM.

The early ads for The Goosedown were so stereotypically ghetto I never wanted to check it out. I always liked the Song Exploder ads before they left Max Fun. There was something really soothing about them, especially the isolated Wurlitzer.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'd like to watch Awful Squad but I really don't want to watch a bunch of movie-length LP videos. Does anyone ever compress it into the best bits?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

lets hang out posted:

it just keeps going

Justin's absolute commitment to fully carry out every bit he's ever come up with is both a blessing and a curse.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I haven't yet listened to the most recent episode of TAZ, but here's the thing I'm still not sure about. If the Red Robes were their old buddies/crew and trying to gain their trust, why did they first manifest to the group in the most creepy and menacing way possible? Was that just a case of Griffin not knowing what they were going to be yet when he wrote them in?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Barry wouldn't have been part of the team yet in Griffin's mind at that point. The way he described him outside of the show, he was a one-off joke that was brought back by popular demand. I'm sure he had some member of the team plugged in there, but it probably wasn't Barry.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I dunno, I think Let's Go To Hell is a pretty great followup to Car Boys so far.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I think the chalice was actually a good justification for the personality switch. Taako was an amazing and famous transmutation wizard, then thought he messed up and killed a town. I can see him getting so down that he only sees himself as a dunce, a jester who amounts to nothing.

Then he learns it wasn't his fault and he's not stupid, and he steps out of his shell as the glamorous awesome wizard he once was.

Speaking of what happened to Taako, something I picked up on in the last couple TAZ episodes is how tragic Lucretia's decision was. Griffin has this big long sequence where he explains what Lucretia did and why, and how she set the whole team up with new lives after they forgot their pasts, and occasionally would visit Merle, Taako, and Magnus just to check in without letting them see her. It's supposed to be the one thing that keeps her going after seeing all the destruction that the Grand Relics caused. But what makes that a lot more tragic is knowing how each of those lives ended up: Merle was a deadbeat dad who left his wife and kids, Taako lost his show after being accused of killing a town, and Magnus lost everyone he loved because a mad governor destroyed it all. The one thing she tried to do right to give all of them peace ended up horribly too, and then in the end they remember all the stuff she made them forget anyway.

As goofy and comedy-oriented as it is, TAZ is a really sad story overall. :smith:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Inzombiac posted:

When Griffin laughs so hard that it's barely audible but he claps a bunch is my favorite because I'm the same way.
Travis often has his big belly laughs, but I love when something just tickles him the right way and he lets out a high-pitched "Hee-heeee!"

Unrelated note, what's the origin of the boys (mostly Justin) saying "Aw, dunk!" usually in the context of "oh poo poo" or something similar? I've heard them say it with increasing frequency, so I'm wondering if they got it from somewhere, or if it's just a McElroyism.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jade Mage posted:

What's a good episode to introduce someone to MBMBaM with? I started by listening to highlights online that my brother sent me, so I wasn't introduced to a particular episode.

The "Bro's Better, Bro's Best" highlight episodes do have specific episode numbers (unless you were given the Samplers they had on bit.ly), but I'd say several of their best bits are from 2014, so you can start there and work your way forward, then fill in the back ones when you have the time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, the early ones are great. I think it's the 3rd or 4th one that has the surgery-based real dating sim and I was dying laughing at picturing the Kinect functionality.

I'm all caught up with TAZ but never got through the Flop House episodes. I listened to about half an hour of the first one and Elliott literally makes the exact same Eiffel 65 joke about 6 times in 20 minutes. It wouldn't be as bad but he insists on saying the full "I'm blue da ba dee da ba die da ba dee da ba die" quote every single time. Does he get better later in the episode or is he consistent with it after the first half hour? I get that being annoying is his shtick, but he made the part I heard unlistenable.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Fans posted:

You can safely skip them, they're not relevant to the rest of TAZ in any way.

I know there are a few references in the main arc, like someone on the lunar base being a sibling of one of the Flop House guys' characters. Not that it's particularly relevant though. I was mainly wondering if Elliott ever becomes more tolerable later in the episodes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

kidcoelacanth posted:

All these dead characters returning and not Boyland gently caress this garbage show t:mad:

psyche it owned

You still got one of my favorite line deliveries of the entire show, so there's that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ATP5G1 posted:

The fact that people are calling this a witch hunt and saying he shouldn't be fired because of this is exactly the reason so many sexual harassment and assault victims don't come forward. Because there will always be a noisy crowd of people insisting that they're overreacting.

Not defending his actions or really taking sides at all here, but if you think there isn't an internet witch hunt any time an even moderately famous person is accused of anything, you haven't been paying attention. Weeding through the chaff is incredibly difficult these days.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Don't be a Russboy.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Man, poor Griffin and Justin. :smith: First they get poo poo on for the whole Lup thing and now they'll basically have to sever ties with a close colleague they produce a ton of content with. I wouldn't be surprised if they retreat from interacting with online fans at all or stop making Youtube stuff and stick to podcasts. They've already left the Facebook groups. Everything with social media is such a minefield and I feel like their increased fame over just the last couple years has really taken a toll.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

inferis posted:

Nope all the women consented to being sexually harassed
I mean, I totally get why this is skeevy, but the claim that fans went along with it because they were so "starstruck" by him talking to them is silly. Like, lol at Nick being treated like a rockstar, he's just some weird internet guy with a nerd podcast.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ATP5G1 posted:

have you ever encountered teenage members of a fandom or is this your first time on the internet

Well, adults, but that's more of an indictment on weird fandoms than anything else.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
[quote="That drat Satyr" post="475097363"]

Why is "mentally ill" circled like it's supposed to be some sort of damning evidence? She even says she's medicated. That's a really gross thing to highlight.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 7, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'd really like to see more Griffin/Simone original shows. I think they have good comedic chemistry. They're both a good mix of super weird and funny.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

That drat Satyr posted:

The rest of what this person said is in the subtweets, they did finish their statement.

The thing this person is missing is that everyone going silent over this is an indication of people handling this situation the exact right way, which is internally, and not more Twitter callouts.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 7, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't see where she was implying that it wasn't.
Mod edits, so I won't repeat it. Probably best not to worry about more hearsay.

KoRMaK posted:

The thing with russ is that he is an indefinitely persisting manifestation of "well actually"

His flow is bad for a comedy podcast that relies on a lot of yes anding
I'd be shocked if Russ ever took an improv class in his life.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pladdicus posted:

it was pretty good huhn? did you think the taako thing was a little over the top? I get it's a big pay off but it felt like he abandoned it for like 7/8ths of the pod cast. then a rando kid goes super saiyan? felt odd.

It's most likely a segue into Clint's campaign. I'd be surprised if Joaquin wasn't involved in it (or even Justin's character), and it would be a great way for the Tres Horny Boys universe to continue existing even if we're focusing on a different plane.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'd love that. I generally enjoy it when a reboot creates an in-universe connection to the old canon.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Not Operator posted:

Wasn't there a mbmbam episode where he had to admit to asking out waitresses while they were on the clock? Maybe not that exactly, but there was something, he was pretty ashamed of it.

And remember Justin once blindfolded a teenager to get her tattooed at a record store and maybe, probably, murder her afterwards.

Griffin straight up got a minor abducted by a clownbox which is way worse imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That wasn't his fault. That was all clownbox.
Oh, he knew exactly what the dangers were. There's a deleted scene they released as a donor bonus where he tells the police chief to swarm the woods with everything he's got if poo poo hits the fan out there. Now Teen Griffin is the clownbox.