Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Ariong posted:

What makes you think that? The conversation clearly progresses over the interjection, and the other two said nothing to indicate they were aware of it.

thats the whole joke!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That we don't get the jokes and stopryline changes from critical successes and crit failures is one of the worst parts of their move to super-simple game systems with just complete failure, complete success, mixed success.

A binary pass/fail check system with crits is waaay more simple and boring than even the most bland check system that has mixed successes imo.

Mixed successes are a huge step forward for systems, and its not shocking that almost everything has them now.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I just don't get why people think there's some inherent comedy gene in dnd, which is like the most perfectly acceptable car you sold to a stranger of tabletop rpgs

edit: If the line of thinking is "Well they know dnd, and they didn't adapt to pbta well" guess how you fix that

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The ways in which people are simultaneously saying “all of the fiddly mechanics are what make dnd so much better to me than these rules light games!!!” and then “oh btw ofc im ignoring most of the mechanics in dnd!”

you’ve made dnd into a rules light system!!!!!

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

and also it’s this “I’d rather frankenstein dnd into doing poo poo it’s not very good at doing than try anything new” that’s why it was extremely cool when they moved away from dnd! People need exposure to other systems so that they understand their options and we don’t end with 5e Modern

i promise it’s possible to be funny in other games

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Everyone should play blades in the dark imho

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

part of why mbmbam works is that because they're brothers, stuff that could be weird and awkward is instead extremely funny, like them going in on travis, or griffin loving up the google doc

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

if the inmates are running things, it means they drove the cops out, so that seems ideal to me, personally

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

apologizing in a sincere way is extremely easy, but you wouldn't know that looking at all the people who weep about being ~victims of cancel culture~

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

also wotc loves sponsoring poo poo and sending people free stuff to promote dnd. its not exactly a surprise the most successful actual plays are dnd, wizards is good at making "professional dnd" look like a viable path in a way other systems cant, without necessarily directly sponsoring things

it sucks, but considering TAZ is their primary podcast financially i bet, its not surprising

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the live ep of TAZ with stuart from the flophouse is the best live ep by a big margin

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

you........could just click the twitter profiles that theyre all links to?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Vargs posted:

I feel exactly the same way about TAZ and the yogscast. Once they start getting into plot-heavy fantasy drama it's some fanfiction.net garbage. The McElroys/Lewis/Simon are some funny dudes but Tolkein they are not.

what makes tolkien not fanfiction.net garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

goblin week posted:

He wrote on paper, and also, made original content that you couldn’t get the general idea of every plot beat in the content warning

tolkien wrote genre fiction. the beats have always been the same lmao

word processing software was the death of literature, truly