Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I don't listen to anything non-McElroy on Maximum Fun, and I think it's because I hate the ads - they're awful. For instance, if I had to guess, I'd say Stop Podcasting Yourself is probably hilarious because Paul F. Tompkins has been on it, but every time I hear that dumb ad on MBMBaM with that dumb music and the dumb joke about drinking bleach, I'm just so turned off. Even worse with The Flophouse ads. I'm sure I'm missing out but I just feel like the ads are doing more harm than good.

Is that what TAZ ads sound like on other podcasts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Typography is a really fun way to do a lot of McElroy goofs and it's a shame this is the first time I've seen it done since Warrior Cats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A7Gm-IjzZ4
For some reason I didn't really like that one, but there are a few others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR0Ubck0IRA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU4pPvHLIwc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyu6Cwr621o

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Justin hangs up iphones in the weirdest way and I can't unsee it now.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Friends,
I have a horrible 7 hour drive ahead of me.
Gimme you choicest, dankest episode recommendations.
I gotta get a playlist going so my GF and I don't go loving mental on this drive.

The MBMBaM appreciation group on Facebook is uncanny with its ability to immediately identify an episode. Every day several people ask something like "in which episode did Griffin say an obscure thing" and within 5 minutes someone will have identified the episode.

Anyway my new hobby is downloading each episode that is identified that way, and I have a constant supply of good good goofs.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Warbird posted:

Gies was the reason I had to drop Idle Thumbs. He always come across as wholly unpleasant and outright annoyed by the other people on the podcast. Him stopping a conversation that the other hosts were having mid sentence and scolding them for using some term wrong or the other was enough for me to bail.

Arthur Gies isn't on Idle Thumbs :confused:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Why is a show called @Midnight on at 11:30? Guess that's what I get for not remembering to DVR it.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I guess thats valid

British people on the internet for some reason have this obsession with latching onto absolutely anything they can and turning it into "lol is that actually how you idiots do it in America?" as if it's another planet or something. I applaud you for your perseverance well beyond logic here. Good show old chap.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Boy, Griffin really leaned into the Griffin-speak this week on MBMBaM, huh? I usually enjoy the purposeful mispronunciations and weird sentence cadence, but it's like he was doing a Griffin McElroy impression and emphasizing it. I still enjoyed the episode though v:shobon:v

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yet another live episode this week huh? Alright, that's fine. :smith:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Maybe peel the label off the wine if it's plastic.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

the "dueling questions" thing is such a fun and lighthearted way of introducing some quality control into the live episodes, great job McElroys

It's definitely a massive improvement and I thought it would be perfect until we got "adult" job that's only 4 days per week should I buy another shirt? vs I want to talk about my stupid kid and not ask a question lady. Maybe they need a bracket system :haw:

Honestly we probably wouldn't hate the questions as much if we didn't get so many live shows back to back. At least Griffin said next week is a regular show.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There economy sucks right now. I work at an auto plant and 90% of our adult jobs (not mine thankfully) are now 4 days a week for the for seeable future. And I think a lot of local and state governments have switched to 4x10 weeks rather than 5x8

Fair enough, I shouldn't make assumptions about other's careers. It was still a bad question.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

ElNarez posted:

There's one more before the ABBA/Girl Talk, that's ABBA and a song with a great bassline that I have not found and it's frustrated me for a while.

This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kizjJPKfCiw

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

lol if you don't change into your smoking jacket, throw another log on the fire, and make another Rob Roy before settling in to hear the news from the front and the McElroys' weekly broadcast from your Philco 90.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

There's a ban on quoting Glass Shark on the MBMBaM Appreciation Facebook group because people complained that it's racist. Also no one is allowed to compliment Justin on weight loss because it's implied fat shaming or something. It's a weird group.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

SpacePig posted:

What kind of pants do you like?

And the dick?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

The downside of live shows is there will be that number fewer real episodes, and I feel like the McElroys are constantly over-scheduling themselves considering they all have young kids. But, I bet they make a lot more money doing live shows so such is life. They're getting less painful to listen to as they figure out ways to weed out the bad questions.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Many of the weeks they couldn't record were because they're on the road or just back from being on the road and sick or recovering or whatever. But their live shows are clearly incredibly popular, so I can't blame them for taking advantage of that.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Prof. Spaceman posted:

To me it sounds like if Justin's voice is halfway up the "Justin McElroy impression" slider in the human character creator, Chuck's voice is maxed all the way to the right. Like the Justin version of going HUUAUUGHHHUAULLAHGLUUAGHGH for Schwarzenegger. The Dana Carvey version of Justin.

This is a good post that made me laugh.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I like to have a backlog of random MBMBaM episodes for when I need to do chores and I'm not feeling other podcasts. Sometimes I'll use the MBMBaM Appreciation Group on Facebook as a random episode picker, because there's always someone who asks which episode [random gag] was in and when someone identifies it I download it. Since that group has gotten super weird in the last year and gives me the creeps, I appreciate this recent discussion.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

flatluigi posted:

here is the bit for people who don't want to put 'tit liquid' into google today

Why should today be any different?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Moon Slayer posted:

Her whole schtick on Wait Wait is "I'm a boomer who is confused and angry about popular things these days" so I usually skip episodes she's on.

Well she's my favorite Wait, Wait panelist and I'm not even a boomer, so there :colbert:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I'll go against the grain - I don't like Riddle Me Piss.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Fred is on posted:

Why, though?

I don't find it funny? :shrug: I'm sure it partially has to do with the voice Travis uses, but I've never laughed at a Riddle Me Piss. I do generally like Much Squads though which is also against the grain, humor is subjective, etc etc

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Alaois posted:

i used to like the MaxFunDrive because it meant John Hodgeman would force the Flophouse boys to watch completely wretched filth like Nothing But Trouble and 1941 but now that doesn't even happen anymore so it can go in the trash

I've never listened to The Flop House but Nothing But Trouble is a buckwild touchstone of my youth and I recently rewatched it, so thanks for mentioning this. I dropped everything and went to find this episode (it's 200 if people care).

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Jestery posted:

Idk , maybe I just want idle thumbs back

Same :( Important if True is basically made for 2020.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I generally enjoy Much Squad and dislike Riddle me Piss. Different people enjoy different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

This doesn’t surprise me. Spotify is a stupid place for a podcast and I’d imagine a big portion of their potential audience ignored it because it wasn’t a real podcast in that it wasn’t available in normal podcast methods.