Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I finally looked at the IndieGogo page after having written it off due to the doomsaying in the thread and ... you guys realize it's a Hank Green thing, too, right? That dude owns a company that already runs two or three conventions, so I don't think this is going to fail due to inexperience or lack of money. I don't have an opinion on whether it's going to be good or not, but I really doubt Green is going to sink his whole brand over $60k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

All very true, but even in terms of backing off I think it's a situation where they make it a one-off thing instead of annual. I'm just saying that earlier in the thread I got the impression that it would be a DashCon or Fyre Festival style disaster, and now that I read the IndieGogo page, it's nothing nearly as exciting as that.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

AriadneThread posted:

to be blunt, the world is not crying out for another convention of white guys talking about nerd poo poo

:rolleyes:

"unnecessary" is different from "scam," but hey, you do you

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Oh, for sure, I just hadn't looked into it when it came up earlier so I had gotten the impression that it was way more sketchy than it is, which bummed me out 'cause I don't want those soft, soft boys to be scammy, scammy boys. MBMBAM is really the only podcast I listen to regularly, so I'm not interested in the convention, but I'm glad it's at least a legit venture, if not mindblowing or even one I'm excited about.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

AriadneThread posted:

see, we don't disagree at all

:respek:

Not to jump too far back, but is that Bachelorette clip legit? Did that seriously air? :psyduck: like, I used to work in reality TV and we always joked about doing poo poo like that, but even when we got a producer in on it, there was no way a showrunner would let that fly, especially for a series that's been around as long as that. That seriously blows my mind.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Colonel Whitey posted:

Jesus, 17776 is a groundbreaking piece of fiction.

it's pretty good

edit: holy poo poo, is Chart Party a new series? that's awesome, I rewatched Pretty Good recently and wished there was more like it

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 7, 2017

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Having just finished it last night, I'm throwing my hat into the "I like Crystal Kingdom" ring. Like, maybe it gets even better from here (I don't know yet, I'm about to start Lunar Interlude III), but Griffin's music additions were on loving point in a major way, and on a level they weren't quite at prior.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Stroop There It Is posted:

I'm honestly embarrassed at how much this Nick stuff has been affecting me emotionally. I don't know the dude or anyone he was gross to, I shouldn't feel so persistently sad and anxious about it. I guess I've just been hoping it's relatively "minor" creepiness that didn't hurt the people he harassed that badly (for their sake, not his) and is something he could come back from with apologies and a complete halt of any bullshit, but there's not much evidence for that. But like, I know how awful it feels to have dudes outside of work creeping on me in a situation where I was trapped, I can't imagine how much anything even minor would affect me if it was related to my career.

Don't be embarrassed about your reaction. internet personalities are basically prime parasocial relationship fodder, and our monkey brains just do their thing because the ability to have such in-depth one-sided interactions is a relatively new thing in human history.

Here's a slightly older article on it if you want to find out more. It's been studied since the '50s with soap opera actors and Princess Diana and stuff, but I think there's more and more research being done with the internet as the medium specifically.

edit: whoops, just realized that's probably behind a paywall. Here's a version that shouldn't be, I don't think

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 5, 2017

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

KoRMaK posted:

What do you think the safeword was?

I think it's pretty clearly "hey landon shut the gently caress up"

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I loved it. Given its reception in the thread, I thought it was going to be some wacky over-the-top shitshow, but it was a couple nice little transitions and titles on a short-form adaptation of the monster factory formula. The cutaways didn't bother me much, although I totally forgot about them until they were just mentioned. Overall, I think it's a great supplement, and probably the best way to condense the idea into something bite-sized.

I like the idea of only going out into the world long enough to find a good snapshot, too. It reminds me of the times when they're goofing around and call out "there's the thumbnail!" except now it's like a little hunt to find a picturesque scene to plop their new creation into.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Propaganda Hour posted:

Oh christ this dogpound question is real bad

yeah, this. i can't imagine how they'd have handled it before the dueling questions format. i feel like it was the only hardcore dud this show, though!

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

a penus posted:

so we just were treated to about twenty minutes about coffee enemas during live Sawbones complete with a... dry demonstration

it was pretty great, not sure how it's gonna translate to audio however

the demo was pretty fantastic. there's a ton of pics of it on twitter (i think justin may have retweeted one?) so at least there's some sort of visual reference

edit: ^^^oh, even better

edit2: :siren: weekly taz starting in january! :siren:

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 10, 2017

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

the closing show of podcon tonight had a live performance of "Smart Stuff" with Justin and Roman Mars, and it was pretty amazing. does anybody remember which episode that bit originally appeared in?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

rumble in the bunghole posted:

316 is called Smart Stuff, it’s probably that one.

:doh: thanks!

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

SpacePig posted:

Can you spoil for me whether it was just an episode of 99% Invisible with Justin just sort of nodding along and making confirming noises?

short answer: nope!

longer, more spoilery answer: Justin shoved his mic away and used an ipad loaded with his own prerecorded quips to react to Roman Mars explaining why calico cats are all female

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

zimbomonkey posted:

Where did people see that TAZ is going to be weekly?

they did a ttazz at podcon, and griffin announced that starting in january they're doing taz weekly (with less polish) so they can get through a few commitment-sized arcs and settle on a setting/system for season 2 without spending a year and a half getting there. they're also going to be splitting up the post-production duties instead of it just being him, but he didn't specify how exactly that will work.

yeah actually they will posted:

what if it was livestreamed episodes

fun story from the same panel: they were originally going to record video to go with the podcast and so there's an entire episode (i think the first one?) where griffin accidentally left his audio input set to the webcam instead of his mic and later spent hours re-recording literally everything he said over the course of the episode

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 12, 2017

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Waffleman_ posted:

I was loving writhing in my seat when they called on a guy with a sign, pleading for them to have learned their lesson.

it was even worse sitting three rows away because there were like four of them and they couldn't coordinate who was going to talk since they were all wearing the same shirt but only one was holding the sign, and there's a bunch of their arguing that i don't think came through on the mic. it really exemplified the value of the dueling questions format.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

travis is hanging out on this charity livestream where one of the perks is a podcast with him and hank green talking about being dads: http://www.projectforawesome.com/live

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

BobTheJanitor posted:

Maybe we'll finally get the TTAZZ they did live at podcon. They've been sitting on that forever.

i don't know for sure, but it's entirely possible they might not release it at all. podcon had this remote attendance thing where you could pay for recordings of everything, and i'm pretty sure most of it was supposed to stay exclusive to that package. the live mbmbam they did that weekend definitely got released on maxfun, so ttazz might too, but who knows.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

You posted:

Justin made a Jimmy Buffett cover a couple of years ago thats far better than it deserves to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX95oFKhxFY

holy gently caress, how have i never heard this? i've suddenly realized just how much i need an all-mcelroy jimmy buffett cover band in my ears

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

thexerox123 posted:

They need to start this Jimmy Buffett cover band, then somehow get Jimmy Buffett to join it, bringing the entire premise of the band into question. Is it still a Jimmy Buffett cover band if Jimmy Buffett is in it? What if he's not the lead singer?

it's like that riddle about replacing the axe handle, except with more margaritas and soft island boys

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

don't peel it, just bite straight down from the top like an ice cream cone

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Waffleman_ posted:

I still think it's ridiculous that Dreamworks was concerned with stunt casting after they cast like ten loving Youtubers in Trolls 1.

to be fair, it's entirely possible they were concerned with stunt casting because they put a bunch of youtubers in trolls 1

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think they'd rather upset the handful of grumpy goons on this forum than the bulk of their fanbase and I don't blame them.

:same:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i looked, and the album is up on spotify if you want to hear more joel:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0xDawaIZOk2kMXwTRY7b7x?si=GgGRp-SmQRmb80ZhnjPD9Q

it is exactly as good as you imagine

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

The Modern Leper posted:

Choice Reply All "yes, yes, no" reference completely lost on the audience. :(

this was an incredible reference and i wish they would have run with it a little more, but yeah the audience seemed to totally miss it

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Chainclaw posted:

I'm trying to figure out if I want to go to PodCon. The McElroy shows would be the main draw, in addition to Hello from the Magic Tavern. It just seems like a strange event aimed at podcasters though, most of the items on the schedule are stuff like "12 people chat with Justin McElroy for an hour" that seem weird. At $110 a ticket per person, it's not cheap. Anyone know if the McElroy shows make it worth attending, or if it's better to skip?

i went last year and it was pretty fun. the live episode of sawbones was pretty great—it was about coffee enemas so justin laid down on the stage and made sydnee guide him to an ideal enema stance. there was also a bunch of stuff for people who make/want to make their own podcasts (panels about equipment or understanding metrics, for example, as well as networking meet-up events). the meet-ups seemed more geared toward that. clint's last year was about narrative storytelling in audio formats.

if the mcelroys are your only draw, it might not be worth it. it's basically the podcast equivalent of a festival weekend where you can see a bunch of live shows for a lot less than seeing more than a few of them individually, so it really depends on if there's enough you know already or if you have any interest in checking out stuff you don't know yet.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

statistically speaking, yes

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Silynt posted:

Yea, how dare those pieces of poo poo ask for money.

eh, not quite. there's nothing wrong with asking for money, but thorn made a really dumb blanket statement and his solution when called out on it was to pretend it never happened. if he doesn't want to put material out for free, that's fine and he should absolutely charge whatever he wants for it, but anyone offering something for free and then insulting people who take them up on it is pretty loving obnoxious. i still give money to maxfun every month but literally only because there's no mcelroy patreon.

also, that maxfundrive jingle is pretty great

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

thexerox123 posted:

I distinctly remember him apologizing for it...

Found it: https://twitter.com/JesseThorn/status/981233324751388673

oh, cool! i guess i didn't check back up after i didn't see an immediate response. that's kind of a huge relief because it bothered me every time i saw the charge pop up.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

if you click through there's a longer, better version in the thread. not perfect, maybe, but i don't feel conflicted about continuing to donate anymore.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Crocoswine posted:

The pants-making GBS threads over that initial tweet always seemed hilariously overblown to me, and it's amazing that people are still holding a grudge over it. You'd think Jesse was going around executing the poor the way people talk about it.

i'll fully admit to probably being overly sensitive about it, but i work in an adjacent-y space where a big part of what i do is crowdfunded and if any of my coworkers called a massive section of our audience moochers, joking or not, i'd be pretty horrified. it's not exactly the same, but it was close enough to touch a nerve and his only apology was a reply to a tweet that i never would have seen had someone not linked to it here a year later.

firmly on his side in that PA debacle though because holy poo poo. someone (maybe in this thread last year?) framed it as their success allowing them to turn into the bullies from high school they hated so much, and that seems like a pretty apt description

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

are there some good crossover episodes people like? i've always skipped the ones on mbmbam and taz out of i guess laziness, but i've also never sought out their guest spots on other shows for the same reason so if any of those are good i might check them out

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

to me it feels like there's two halves of balance, where they basically play mostly as themselves up through petals, and then really focus on playing as the characters for the rest. i like them both, but i think they have different peaks. as themselves, i think rockport is the best build-up of jokes and goofing around that cluminated in the 1-2 punch of guard murder and plant seduction in petals. seeing animatics for those two moments posted in this thread was what finally got me to listen to it because that is some gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXFr54IGd08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPPkr6mdCoA

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

the first time i watched i definitely thought that photographer was doing the bit from austin powers

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

yeah, they definitely calmed back down by the 3rd episode (the avalanche one, i think?) i honestly didn't mind how fast it was in the first couple episodes, tho. there are definitely a lot of joel-era episodes with big pauses where i'd actually have to watch the movie and it was kinda excruciating so those episodes don't make my rewatch list much.

i also don't mind when there are guests on mbmbam, though, so take that for what you will. :v:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

kidcoelacanth posted:

i am going to listen to the internet funnymen play the children's game

:same:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i don't give a poo poo how much money he makes, gently caress that dude for selling fake medicine to people with real medical conditions.

in real news, travis's stories about getting pulled over were amazing. i will never get tired of hearing about clint's pro dad strats

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1227699431904071681?s=20

huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i think her name's carol? and i don't think she's been onscreen before (maybe in the background of the outtakes from the show) but i'm pretty sure she's the one responsible for the initial spaghettigeddon and thus inextricably tied to the empire