Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The series dodged past that trap as easily as Helck cleared every obstacle in the competition arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Some major plot stuff aside, it's little details in the writing like that that really makes me appreciate Helck. I really hope this gets adapted into an anime.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Mr. Fowl posted:

It turns out that the real hero was the junk we picked up along the way.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New omake chapter - https://bato.to/reader#430e8591a14a2fd5

In which it is shockingly revealed that Rafaed was a master chef and taught Helck his cooking skills.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hope omakes have more Hyura and Edil.

They make a nice couple.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hate-Senpai posted:

I hope omakes have more Hyura and Edil.

They make a nice couple.

Yup. Forget Helck and Alice, it's Hyura and Edil who are the star couple of the story.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Hmm. The translator on batoto is saying that there will be a sequel.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Agronox posted:

Hmm. The translator on batoto is saying that there will be a sequel.

the grand tale of anne's aunt finding piwi

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there are enough loose strings dangling in the wind that I'd be kinda surprised if there weren't

tho this last arc did drain a lot of my enthusiasm for helck

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It got way too self-serious for a bit, for sure, but the following bits after it have all been amazing, like Piuy's rocks, Helck and Alicia, etc

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Isuta's crush on Anne is confirmed canon now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's more than just the tone (and to be clear I don't think it getting serious is a problem. the final arc is when it should get serious!); it was boring and insanely drawn out. they beat mikaros like 5 times this arc alone

the last arc way overstayed its welcome and the whole thing felt pretty tedious after a while. the epilogue has been cute but it doesn't make up for anything imo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the last arc should have been broken up into smaller arcs. there was no room to breathe and more poo poo went down over the course of a day than in the rest of the manga combined. bleach had a similar problem, though obviously helck is way better than bleach.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah that ending arc was rough as hell and didn't really play to the comic's strengths

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah, I think when it's the trio just wandering around with Helck occasionally punching something, the comic works really well.

Action arcs? Not so much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's more than just the tone (and to be clear I don't think it getting serious is a problem. the final arc is when it should get serious!); it was boring and insanely drawn out. they beat mikaros like 5 times this arc alone

the last arc way overstayed its welcome and the whole thing felt pretty tedious after a while. the epilogue has been cute but it doesn't make up for anything imo

There was a way to do it that properly and humorously lampshaded interminable end boss battles but it went on for way too long itself, ironically.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I just hope the author learned from the experience and paces the sequel better

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
That first big battle at the fortress where Hyura and Edil went back and forth for like 8 chapters straight or whatever was great. I don't think it's that long action sequences are a problem for Helck, just that this one in particular kind of overstayed its welcome. I didn't have nearly as much of a problem with it as a lot of you apparently did but even I got sick of seeing Mikaros's stupid lovely face after awhile.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The story peaked at chapter 69, but to be fair, that was an insanely high peak.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Terper posted:

The story peaked at chapter 69, but to be fair, that was an insanely high peak.

Nice.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
If I see Mikaros again in the sequel, I'm going to lose my drat mind.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Fantastic Flyer posted:

If I see Mikaros again in the sequel, I'm going to lose my drat mind.

^^^ this is the bigger problem with helck's ending, not the long as poo poo repeated action sequences

fuckin mikaros

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The issue with this arc was too many climaxes and fake-outs. Fake-outs for humor and tension is kind of this series's thing, but it really didn't work well here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah its super hard to be goof goof dildo in the middle of a battle where your girlfriend is a mindcontrolled angel with a horrific cosmic horror eyesocket in her face and the entire human race has been similarly converted, with your goal likely destroying them all or eradicating their sapient

I'm sure there was a way to do it but not without massive tonal whiplash, and unfortunately helck's author missed the ball just a tad on it

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Goodbye helck.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that was a good epilogue

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seems like there's a sequel coming our way. In the Helck comment thread on Batoto, the scanlator Rumia wrote that "Helck sequel has been confirmed and I'll be picking it up once it's released. Be happy everyone".

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It's funny because in one of the restspective panels, you can see helcks weird old slab face. Kinda miss it honestly

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

goodbye helck

hello hel2k

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I am glad Helck didn't manage to sneak off without Alicia, I'd have been mad and sad.

Helck was... good.

I look forward to his grand return.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It's the return of Anne! From management!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'll miss Helck, even if the final arc was a bit weak and dragged too long. All of the characters were fun, Helck and Vamirio having not even a hint of romantic tension was refreshing for this kind of story, and the simple art style is nice. I look forward to 2 Helck 2 Piwi, and maybe Acaria getting some more updates.

Also this is one hell of a cover to put on a volume. Spoilering just in case anyone new starts reading Helck.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 20, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

there's something really funny that Helck never actually learns Anne's (who i can't even remember) real name.

also real happy that they just stay friends and don't fall in love.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roobanguy posted:

there's something really funny that Helck never actually learns Anne's (who i can't even remember) real name.

also real happy that they just stay friends and don't fall in love.

Anne's real name is Anne. "Vamirio" is just her stage name.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I'm pretty sure it's a plot point that she does tell him she's Vamirio of the four heavenly kings, but to him she'll always be Anne.
Actually knowing my memory I'm wrong.
Someone else please tell us because my memory is bad

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a plot point that she does tell him she's Vamirio of the four heavenly kings, but to him she'll always be Anne.

perhaps, but i will continue to believe neither him or piuy/piwi know.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I'm pretty sure she told him.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Your memory didn't fail you.

On page 13 of Chapter 53B, Anne tells Helck that her real name isn't Anne - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Helck/Ch-053b?id=261584#13

On page 14, she tells Helck that she's actually Red Vamirio of the Empire's Four Heavenly Kings - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Helck/Ch-053b?id=261584#14

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
alright, now to re-read it all in one go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Epilogue was bad. Edil and Hyura didn't get married!!!!! Though maybe that was more appropriate all things considered.

Anyway Helck was good and i'm sad to see it go even if only for a time. Everything from the Human King on was honestly not that great but the series has some extremely great moments and characters. Helck and Anne resolving to save all the humans is still maybe my favourite moment in a comic, it's up there at the very least.

I really loved this series and i'm hella pumped for the continuing adventures of Piuy in the future.

• Locked thread