Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this is loving sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The tourian section is like half the run and kind of tedious but it's amazing that he makes it through the whole thing with only 4 missiles and no health tanks.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That guy is my homey with the extremely white hands and IIRC during that run someone says in a donation comment, Hello Dragon Darch. This is Dragon Claws. which was some win.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

That guy is my homey with the extremely white hands and IIRC during that run someone says in a donation comment, Hello Dragon Darch. This is Dragon Claws. which was some win.

Yeah, he says "Glad to see all my training paid off" or something and then put 1,000 dollars on the table and said I'm taking 50 off for every death. No pressure.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kinda bummed there's no different photo for Hard Mode but meh. The 100% final boss on Hard is loving awesome and this was kind of a gaming white whale for me. The first time I beat the boss I finished the escape with one hit left and I was freaking out because of how close it was and then that loving pirate who's hiding in your ship killed me. I had to laugh at how much of a dispshit I felt like.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

There's a different picture for hard mode @ sub 15%.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

There's a different picture for hard mode @ sub 15%.

I'm not powerful enough for Low %.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm doing it after I finish this hard 100% run.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I only attempted 15% once, then paused it to have dinner and came back and grabbed like three missile tanks before I realized what I was doing. :cripes:

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I'm not powerful enough for Low %.

the game is hard but fighting the urge to powerup is what's harder

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Ralp posted:

I only attempted 15% once, then paused it to have dinner and came back and grabbed like three missile tanks before I realized what I was doing. :cripes:

lol collecting poo poo is too cool

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I sometimes like playing stuff without collecting everything possible but not many games make that as fun as finding new crap is.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Like I guess, making the ways you have to come up with to do things as fun I guess.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zero Mission is cool too because all the way to the end of the game the developers accounted for you having nothing but one missile upgrade and morph ball bombs and put in alternate paths to bypass everything

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Omg this run ended up being a WR.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Zero Mission is cool too because all the way to the end of the game the developers accounted for you having nothing but one missile upgrade and morph ball bombs and put in alternate paths to bypass everything

the right side of Norfair has an enormous vertical shaft that is hidden better than almost anything in the game. It is completely empty and mysterious and for years I never understood why it was even there. when I first watched a speedrun and realized what you just posted, it blew my loving mind

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ralp posted:

the right side of Norfair has an enormous vertical shaft that is hidden better than almost anything in the game. It is completely empty and mysterious and for years I never understood why it was even there. when I first watched a speedrun and realized what you just posted, it blew my loving mind

I didn't know there were similarly hidden shafts in Chozodia as well until I just watched this low% run.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

zero mission was a labor of love basically designed to please enthusiasts, while also being a fantastic game on the surface to the average player. now nintendo "doesn't have the resources" for a metroid game :(

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

doing the whole game with 2 missiles sounds like a horrible nightmare

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

zero mission was a labor of love basically designed to please enthusiasts, while also being a fantastic game on the surface to the average player. now nintendo "doesn't have the resources" for a metroid game :(

I get a little misty-eyed every time I boot this up and see (C) 2004. Any day now folks, they'll make another one.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tropical freeze is all the proof i need that Retro can really pull off a mean 2D game...please god :pray:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

after hearing the attention to detail in zero mission i can see why theyd say that

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Watching the 100% run from SGDQ to learn some more routes, and lol

https://youtu.be/jR7xJWncej4?t=43m42s

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Evil Eagle posted:

Watching the 100% run from SGDQ to learn some more routes, and lol

https://youtu.be/jR7xJWncej4?t=43m42s

lmao "what is this from?"

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I went into this blind (never played it or the original Metroid before) and I'm really enjoying it. Just got the grip gloves and I'm going crazy searching for new places I can get to now. We really do need a new 2D Metroid game

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
zero mission style remake of super would be unreal

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Id rather something all new tbh. Super is still extremely playable and looks great, it just has slightly different physics than ZM/Fusion. Doesn't really need a remake

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

As long as it has the zero mission "feels" i want it.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SM doesn't need a remake but Metroid 2 does

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Ralp posted:

2D remake of Metroid Prime in the Zero Mission engine

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ralp posted:

like 10 different projects came out a couple years ago working on this and they've all been on hold forever. theres a really good demo out there for one of them but it's like the first 20-30min of the game

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Metroid 2 could use a zero mission remake. Its biggest issue is the same as the original metroids problem where there's no map to figure out where you haven't been yet.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metroid 2 is kinda fun from what I recall. I beat it once forever ago and never returned, it's the Metroid I'm least familiar with. Eradicating all the Metroids as the overarching game mechanic is a neat idea

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Don't wanna sound like a retart here but Metroid 2 is the gameboy one right?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and them getting stronger is cool too. Also introduced the spider ball

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bill Barber posted:

Yep. You can also buy it on the 3ds eshop

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

Yah. It's kinda ugly because of that though, all monochrome and big blocks.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

There are a million metroids in tourian on hard mode.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ok so if I'm planning a low %, how many pickups are there total in ZM. Surprisingly trick to find a guide or something, only videos of 9%/10% runs and I know I can go to 15% so I wanna see what my options are like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looks like it's 1% per pickup and the bare minimum is 9%, so that's 6 safety pickups. I think I could manage a normal 15% run.

• Locked thread