Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"Yer enterin a honey pot sistah! Come on! Yer better than that toots!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Good flick, but am i the only one who basically said to myself "Oh hey X-COM has been made into a movie finally"at the end as the plucky heroine fights off whats basically a cross between a berserker muton and a chryssalid and a big rear end cyber floater? And the message at the end where they ask for people with combat experience also feels like X-COM. "We need badass recruits to take back the planet!"

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The 'Honeypot' discussion has been one of the funniest thing I've read in a long time, so thanks for that one. In this scenario, does Michelle get all the way there without noticing the giant spaceship on the horizon?

To surmise. A character is told if you go straight ahead you should be ok, but if you go left you're going into danger. The character goes left into danger and this has resulted in them being...tricked? Oh no Aliens! You tricked me with the very thing that I made a conscious choice to come and fight.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

DrVenkman posted:

The 'Honeypot' discussion has been one of the funniest thing I've read in a long time, so thanks for that one. In this scenario, does Michelle get all the way there without noticing the giant spaceship on the horizon?

To surmise. A character is told if you go straight ahead you should be ok, but if you go left you're going into danger. The character goes left into danger and this has resulted in them being...tricked? Oh no Aliens! You tricked me with the very thing that I made a conscious choice to come and fight.

Well that is just alien level mind tactics that we simple humans just can't process due to it being so advanced.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gejnor posted:

Good flick, but am i the only one who basically said to myself "Oh hey X-COM has been made into a movie finally"at the end as the plucky heroine fights off whats basically a cross between a berserker muton and a chryssalid and a big rear end cyber floater? And the message at the end where they ask for people with combat experience also feels like X-COM. "We need badass recruits to take back the planet!"
Naw the ending was garbage... "Wolverines!!!" :911:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
At the end, the ship's mouth reminded me of the rodent skull-looking jaws of the Cloverfield monster.

I wonder if it was intentional.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never seen cloverfield always thought it was a godzilla movie, so I went and saw this and my mind was blown. Could've done without the aliens thought it was a bit dumb.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Goddamn I love John Goodman. How he vacillated between 'creepy disturbed guy' to 'okay, he might not be a complete psychopath' back to 'oh wait' was great and legit creepy at times. He'll never win an Oscar for this, but he was chewing the Hell out of the scenery. His dad dancing at the jukebox was incredible.

The ending with the aliens fell kinda flat to me, and the sub-plot of 'that's not his daughter, that's a girl that went missing felt like it just petered out after 'we need to leave'.

My other complaint was just how loud the spooky jump scares were. I kept cringing anytime there was one not because of what happened on screen, but b/c of the volume.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

At the end, the ship's mouth reminded me of the rodent skull-looking jaws of the Cloverfield monster.

I wonder if it was intentional.

It was actually inspired by Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Jesus christ, it is so irritating to finally see this movie, come here, and see Mr. Bibs making GBS threads up yet another thread with blatant lies and massive condescension. I just can't read it anymore, I'm skipping to the end

Anyway, this was fine, I guess? I really liked Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character. She was super resourceful and when she chose Houston at the end I cheered.

However, I felt certain aspects were under-explored, like the reveal that Howard outright kidnapped a girl. I wish they had either cut that detail out and kept him limited to creepy subtle things (mainly because it didn't make sense for him to show Michelle that picture when Emmett knew that the girl wasn't Megan), OR had gone further with him blatantly admitting it in the end. As it is, it felt kind of half-assed

Another thing I wish is that this hadn't been connected to Cloverfield, because the whole time you knew something really had happened, whereas if this had remained an independent franchise the tension would have been much stronger.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah-tui1ubnU

his dancing was hilarious

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
This was an outright cash grab, a movie that had no right to be. I really wish it was more but if you get down to each act is very very much separate from each other
and in no way makes a cohesive plot.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
being said, its a fine movie on it's own, I really, really dont understand why the "cloverfield" title it has. It'd have done better portraying itself as modern hitchcock twilight zone sort of thing

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
super drunk btw
edit: but not wrong

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FourLeaf posted:

Another thing I wish is that this hadn't been connected to Cloverfield, because the whole time you knew something really had happened, whereas if this had remained an independent franchise the tension would have been much stronger.

Honestly this movie felt stronger BECAUSE it wasn't some sort of dumb scooby doo mystery of if the ghost was real or just a guy in a mask. By being cloverfield we knew from the title screen stuff was real and we could just setting down and watch a story without needing to look for clues on if it was a trick or something.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Honestly this movie felt stronger BECAUSE it wasn't some sort of dumb scooby doo mystery of if the ghost was real or just a guy in a mask. By being cloverfield we knew from the title screen stuff was real and we could just setting down and watch a story without needing to look for clues on if it was a trick or something.

Uh what? Looking for clues seemed to be the point. They were trying really drat hard to make you go back and forth over whether john goodman was telling the truth or if he was just a paranoid abuser (and the answer was: both!). I really don't understand how you could enjoy knowing the threat was real the whole time as it renders much of the movie pointless.

for example, the scene where she takes off the mask should take you through a whole roller coaster of emotion. She and Emmett went through a lot of effort to make a suit and gather materials and a weapon so they could explore this supposedly poisonous environment, and Emmett was even KILLED over it. then she gets outside and rips the suit, and she's freaking out and the audience should be thinking oh poo poo, did enough air get in to kill her? then she sees the birds flying and she has this look of slow amazement to realization/sadness and she takes the mask off, revealing that the air is actually safe and Emmett apparently died for nothing; the environment seems normal; it should be a devastating moment. Only to experience whiplash a moment later as the revelation that holy poo poo there really are aliens becomes clear.

But the knowledge that it's Cloverfield the whole time meant I couldn't go along with that moment where they clearly want you to think Howard really was just paranoid and they fell for it. I knew there were aliens and it killed part of the drama.

Yeah, I really just don't understand your post.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FourLeaf posted:

Uh what? Looking for clues seemed to be the point. They were trying really drat hard to make you go back and forth over whether john goodman was telling the truth or if he was just a paranoid abuser (and the answer was: both!). I really don't understand how you could enjoy knowing the threat was real the whole time as it renders much of the movie pointless.

for example, the scene where she takes off the mask should take you through a whole roller coaster of emotion. She and Emmett went through a lot of effort to make a suit and gather materials and a weapon so they could explore this supposedly poisonous environment, and Emmett was even KILLED over it. then she gets outside and rips the suit, and she's freaking out and the audience should be thinking oh poo poo, did enough air get in to kill her? then she sees the birds flying and she has this look of slow amazement to realization/sadness and she takes the mask off, revealing that the air is actually safe and Emmett apparently died for nothing; the environment seems normal; it should be a devastating moment. Only to experience whiplash a moment later as the revelation that holy poo poo there really are aliens becomes clear.

But the knowledge that it's Cloverfield the whole time meant I couldn't go along with that moment where they clearly want you to think Howard really was just paranoid and they fell for it. I knew there were aliens and it killed part of the drama.

Yeah, I really just don't understand your post.

You know that study where people really think they like spoilers but actually enjoy movies more if they know the twist ahead of time?

This is that but in movie title form. You think you would totally have more fun if there was this big dumb twist, but actually it's a better and more enjoyable movie if you don't feel required to try and outsmart it.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

My wife and I went to see this awhile back, and while I'm a fan of Cloverfield, my wife had never even heard of the origiinal film. I also accidentally spoiled the ending while looking at reviews online.

We both enjoyed the movie, even though one of us knew what the twist was and when it was coming and the other didn't. John Goodman had both of us trying to get a read on his character throughout the majority of the film and neither of us were ever really sure how crazy he was. He really carries the film and kept both of us on edge. So yeah, you can enjoy the movie both ways.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You know that study where people really think they like spoilers but actually enjoy movies more if they know the twist ahead of time?

This is that but in movie title form. You think you would totally have more fun if there was this big dumb twist, but actually it's a better and more enjoyable movie if you don't feel required to try and outsmart it.

Maybe that's true for you, it definitely wasn't true for me. It's one thing to say that you personally liked the movie more knowing there were aliens, it's another thing to declare that this must be objectively true for every person who watched it. I've seen plenty of movies where knowing the plot ahead of time had no impact or made the experience more enjoyable; trust me when I say this wasn't one of those times. You didn't even address my earlier points, you just appealed to some study I've never read.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
The movie was already done apparently, and was meant to be a spooky thiller, until the studio that did it closed it down. Then it was bought and had a cloverfield connection grafted on with some extra scenes.

I really liked cloverfield, this movie was good too, but it should have ended when she got out of the bunker. I still can't believe the final 15 minutes or so actually happened. I choose to believe that she was simply having a bad dream from when the air-filtrator broke down.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This movie was pretty bad. I like how at the end they just flash some lightning and put up a space ship in the dark sky to show a threat. Its not even in the sky without the lightning because it isn't that dark and you can see. Thats' how cheap this movie is.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

The movie was already done apparently, and was meant to be a spooky thiller, until the studio that did it closed it down. Then it was bought and had a cloverfield connection grafted on with some extra scenes.

I really liked cloverfield, this movie was good too, but it should have ended when she got out of the bunker. I still can't believe the final 15 minutes or so actually happened. I choose to believe that she was simply having a bad dream from when the air-filtrator broke down.

I heard an interview with Abrams and the director and they explicitly said the rumor of it being attached to Cloverfield at the last minute was false. Abrams said that yes, the script in its earliest form was different but once they optioned it it was always intended to be a Cloverfield tie in.

Take that how you will, he could be lying but I don't see much reason for it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

this would hardly be the first time Abrams lied about a movie to make himself look better, tho

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Medullah posted:

I heard an interview with Abrams and the director and they explicitly said the rumor of it being attached to Cloverfield at the last minute was false. Abrams said that yes, the script in its earliest form was different but once they optioned it it was always intended to be a Cloverfield tie in.

It was, the entire movie was about a nuclear attack. She would get out and see everyplace is hosed from nukes. They couldn't get the studio to sign off on that. Slap a "cloverfield" on it, They just pulled a 'Ridley Scott"!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Tenzarin posted:

It was, the entire movie was about a nuclear attack. She would get out and see everyplace is hosed from nukes. They couldn't get the studio to sign off on that. Slap a "cloverfield" on it, They just pulled a 'Ridley Scott"!

See, Prometheus's blatant tie-in ending with the sudden Xenomorph was kinda dumb and out of place, but I wouldn't say the same about 10 Cloverfield Lane. It doesn't feel like some dumb franchise obligation, it just feels like a last genre reversal, and for me it made total sense thematically. Contrasted with Prometheus, which is all about unknowable mysteries and questions, suddenly ending with 'and this was the origin of the Xenomorphs the whole time, I guess!' which is a big wet fart of a note to end on if I ever saw one compared to the film that came before.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Prometheus has Weyland and Space Jockies in it. It was always an Alien prequel, dumb alien thing at the end or not.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
I liked this movie. What are some other good bunker movies? Here are some bunker movies I've seen:

Hidden
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2131532/?ref_=nv_sr_1
A family hiding in an underground bunker. It's implied there are some kind of monsters outside. Pretty slow moving but overall ok until the final act, when it becomes really stupid.

Aftermath
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1564368/?ref_=rvi_tt
A realistic portrait of random strangers trying to survive a nuclear fallout by making an emergency bunker out of a basement. I liked this one. DEPRESSING AS HELL.

The Divide
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535616/?ref_=nv_sr_1
More random strangers hiding from nuclear fallout. From what I remember, everyone in this movie is a god drat idiot. Didn't like, won't watch again. But it does have Michael Biehn as a prepper.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

RandallODim posted:

See, Prometheus's blatant tie-in ending with the sudden Xenomorph was kinda dumb and out of place, but I wouldn't say the same about 10 Cloverfield Lane. It doesn't feel like some dumb franchise obligation, it just feels like a last genre reversal, and for me it made total sense thematically. Contrasted with Prometheus, which is all about unknowable mysteries and questions, suddenly ending with 'and this was the origin of the Xenomorphs the whole time, I guess!' which is a big wet fart of a note to end on if I ever saw one compared to the film that came before.

Nah, the xenomorph being a discarded piece of poo poo – just like humanity – is a perfect joke for Prometheus to go out on. Particularly considering what happened to the franchise between Alien and Prometheus.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Medullah posted:

The earliest iterations of the script (Valencia) didn't have the attacks in it, and this was before Bad Robot got involved, so it does tally up.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I liked this movie. What are some other good bunker movies? Here are some bunker movies I've seen:

There's a movie called The Bunker about a group of nazis huddled in an isolated bunker that ends up going deeper than they thought and turns out to be haunted and stuff. It's pretty good and has an actual decent cast of Brits playing nazis, but it came out at the height of dv, so it has this really ugly early digital video look.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Haha, that sounds crazy; I'll check it out. Thanks!

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So hey the movie FINALLY came out on iTunes. I snoozed/losed on catching it in the theatre, and at some point I stopped following this thread because I spoilers.

I loved it. I knew it was a non-cloverfield script that got shoehorned into the franchise, and that only bugged me outside of the movie. If this movie came out without the CF name, would I have seen it? Probably? IF it got enough funding to get enough marketing money to get my attention?

And this is what worries me about Netflix. How many great movies am I missing because they went direct to video, or didn't get the promoting muscle, franchise nod etc, to bubble up into my limited perspective?

I didn't think about the tie-in to the original NEARLY as much as I did with Prometheus. That one had absolute connections, (space ships, groovy chairs). This one didn't NEED to be connected to Cloverfield, and really I don't see any kind of a connection unless I really really worked at it... but at that point, I could also tie it to The Shining or Ferngully if I wanted to.

The greatest thing of the story to me was when [spoler] the aliens burst out of their chests.[/spiller] No I mean my favorite moment was realizing, "Hooray! A conspiracy theory doomsday crazy gently caress was actually right, he's saving people and they have to appreciate that fact." In a lot of movies, the doomsday guy is either wrong, (open the hatch, it's a beautiful world, he was just lonely) or he's right, but gets killed before anybody has to take his poo poo, (War Of The World, The Mist).

And while nobody took his poo poo for a whole year, they obviously endured the scenario for more than a month or two, judging from the healed stitches on his head.

I was really hoping that Emmet was the crazy pedophile kidnapper, (he's the one who took the photo of John and the bound girl, right? SOMEBODY had to take it. Polaroids don't have time-delay mode). I paused the movie the moment he narrowed his eyes as she was discussing the girl in the photo - thinking, "holy crap! John and Emmet kidnapped her, Emmet got a little too frisky, took over, John Goodman broke his arm only after Emmet killed the girl, John G said "you can stay, because I have to save the world, but let's not bring up the girl you tied up and killed."

It kind of works in the story... would have loved to see a second photo in his wallet of just him and the tied up girl, just to blow her mind some more, but I suppose she wouldn't be so fearful of John then.

I just do not understand why Hollywood hasn't taken me up on my offer to fix all their movies.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Back in the day I had a poloroid with a timer delay.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GORDON posted:

Back in the day I had a poloroid with a timer delay.
I learn something new everyday.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

I thought it was fun, but in general movies annoy me if the main characters don't just simply sit down and discuss their issues at least once. It could've still gone to poo poo as Howard was obviously an actual psycho but the plot device of everyone just miscommunicating vaguely all the time is getting old.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The world needs more Twilight Zone/Hitchcock ripoffs. There were a lot of bizarre plot elements that didn't ultimately add up to much, but it's a story intentionally filled with red herrings.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

tazjin posted:

I thought it was fun, but in general movies annoy me if the main characters don't just simply sit down and discuss their issues at least once. It could've still gone to poo poo as Howard was obviously an actual psycho but the plot device of everyone just miscommunicating vaguely all the time is getting old.
While I agree with you in principle, this movie felt like it earned it a bit more in my book, what with the being loving terrified of saying the wrong thing and that getting you murdered.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Ppl who are abusive, at least in my experience, do not care even a little bit about you 'explaining the situation' to them & in fact will completely ignore it/get angrier because it does not align with how they see the world + they just view it as treachery or w/e.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Hat Thoughts posted:

Ppl who are abusive, at least in my experience, do not care even a little bit about you 'explaining the situation' to them & in fact will completely ignore it/get angrier because it does not align with how they see the world + they just view it as treachery or w/e.
This is, unfortunately, the truth in my experience as well, and the dynamic between these characters struck me as highly realistic.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
Yeah, this

LividLiquid posted:

being loving terrified of saying the wrong thing and that getting you murdered.

Is basically the experience. Even if they aren't going to murder you, but are just going to lose their temper and flip out verbally or stonewall you or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah that's a valid criticism of like, rom-coms where the entire plot is "everyone involved is a gigantic loving weirdo who refuses to just call the other person" but it seems a bit churlish when the film centres on someone who's obviously controlling and violent and a possible murderer.

• Locked thread