Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

With Fringe JJ recorded and pressed and artificially weathered 300 copies of a fake lp by a fake band and had people stash copies in the bargain bins of used record stores and didn't tell anyone for 9 months--and only because nobody seemed to have found any of them. I think only about five were ever found or documented by fans of the show. The rest were instantly snapped up by vinyl collectors who had never seen the show but thought that they had found some really rare record nobody knew about, which was kind of true.
What? This is awesome. What was it referencing in/how was it linked to the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
So rumor has it this was originally a film unrelated to Cloverfield that had reshoots and rewrites done to tie it in after the division of Paramount it was made under collapsed.

http://www.latino-review.com/news/theres-more-than-meets-the-eye-with-10-cloverfield-lane

This is either pretty genius misdirection and secrecy or Paramount is oddly cashing in on Cloverfield to make profits off a completely unrelated movie.

The reddit thread goes into more detail

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/416hat/the_truth_about_10_cloverfield_lanexpost_from/

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
Honestly, I really doubt anything with John Goodman involved needs the help that badly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

El Grillo posted:

What? This is awesome. What was it referencing in/how was it linked to the show?

http://www.wired.com/2011/01/fringe-violet-sedan-chair/

http://www.fringetelevision.com/2011/01/update-on-seven-suns-violet-sedan-chair.html

It was Walter's (one of the characters) favorite band, and there was an episode featuring one of the members that tied into part of the show's mythology. Beyond that, according to Abrams, if four copies were ever played at once in the same location, a hidden message cut up across the different copies could be heard in full, but nobody found enough copies to try it, even all these years later.

Sometimes one will pop up with a vinyl collector claiming that it's a prop from Fringe and asking thousands of dollars for it.

It kind of frustrated me because at that time I was living in Walter's neighborhood where the show was set, and I figured they must have put at least one in a record store near me, but the only one in my entire city was at the Newbury Comics downtown, which wasn't even a used record store.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Why are people afraid there won't be monsters when the director is notable for his use of CGI on a low budget?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

AccountSupervisor posted:

This is either pretty genius misdirection and secrecy or Paramount is oddly cashing in on Cloverfield to make profits off a completely unrelated movie.

As long as its done decently, I don't think I have a problem with this. You've got a low-interest movie sitting around that's already about three people dealing with some sort of threat keeping them in a bunker. That setting makes it comparatively easy to say "Ok, the threat is Clover and this is in the Cloverfield universe". The movie'll make more money, folks get a Cloverfield movie, and might make it more appealing to make another one.

Doing it wrong, though, is easy: replace the effect where Our Heroes see {bad thing} in the end with the Cloverfield monster and don't change anything. But if they are doing rewrites and reshoots, I bet they are actually adding Cloverfield Stuff.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

MisterBibs posted:

As long as its done decently, I don't think I have a problem with this. You've got a low-interest movie sitting around that's already about three people dealing with some sort of threat keeping them in a bunker. That setting makes it comparatively easy to say "Ok, the threat is Clover and this is in the Cloverfield universe". The movie'll make more money, folks get a Cloverfield movie, and might make it more appealing to make another one.

Doing it wrong, though, is easy: replace the effect where Our Heroes see {bad thing} in the end with the Cloverfield monster and don't change anything. But if they are doing rewrites and reshoots, I bet they are actually adding Cloverfield Stuff.

Yeah it seems given the film cost $5mil supposedly before they changed it to a Cloverfield movie, they are almost guaranteed to cut a profit and possibly garner more interest in making more.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Why are people afraid there won't be monsters when the director is notable for his use of CGI on a low budget?

Well it was originally a different movie with no monster and test screenings have said there was no monster. I mean they've probably changed it quite a bit since it became a Cloverfield thing but it sounds like most of the movie takes place in the bunker.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
I just have to say I love that Trailer so much. It doesn't reveal too much but still manages to pull a double swerve on us in its short run time and leave us totally intrigued. And Goodman will be great in this I have no doubt.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Well it was originally a different movie with no monster and test screenings have said there was no monster. I mean they've probably changed it quite a bit since it became a Cloverfield thing but it sounds like most of the movie takes place in the bunker.

Is it possible that they intentionally made a cut without the Cloverfield stuff specifically for test audiences, or is that so counterproductive as to be crazy?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mantis42 posted:

Either way, it's going to incorporate visual effects and depict some sort of apocalyptic event.

The only real question is how much hilarious outrage it will engender.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I mean the first movie barely had monsters and that movie took place in a big city being attacked by monsters

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

VBane posted:

I just have to say I love that Trailer so much. It doesn't reveal too much but still manages to pull a double swerve on us in its short run time and leave us totally intrigued. And Goodman will be great in this I have no doubt.

Agreed, it's both an excellent piece of advertising and an engaging little mini-thriller all on its own. Kudos to the agency for avoiding the usual crap, though I suspect a much more straightforward piece is coming next month.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i thought the first godzilla trailer was the best i'd ever seen but for some reason they tried to scrub it from the internet (god knows why) but the movie ended up nothing like it.

hopefully this one aint similar.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Does anyone have the old CSI level examination pictures of the Cloverfield trailer where people were seeing Voltron?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I loving love Cloverfield, and I love John Goodman.

The two will combine and form the promised voltron we have been waiting for.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does anyone have the old CSI level examination pictures of the Cloverfield trailer where people were seeing Voltron?
Who's to say it wasn't actually about Voltron? Maybe we just weren't looking hard enough.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is the BR of Cloverfield worth it for the "Special Investigation Mode"? It's old enough that finding it in the store is a fool's errand, and with MLK day on Monday, buying and getting it ASAP ain't happening. I'm a fan enough of the movie that I'm considering upgrading to a BR copy anyway, but still...

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Wouldn't we have heard about this movie if it didn't start out as a Cloverfield spin-off? It's not like John Goodman is a huge star, but it would be pretty weird if it wasn't announced at all before JJ got involved.

MisterBibs posted:

Is the BR of Cloverfield worth it for the "Special Investigation Mode"? It's old enough that finding it in the store is a fool's errand, and with MLK day on Monday, buying and getting it ASAP ain't happening. I'm a fan enough of the movie that I'm considering upgrading to a BR copy anyway, but still...

If you have a nice sound system, just get it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

AccountSupervisor posted:

So rumor has it this was originally a film unrelated to Cloverfield that had reshoots and rewrites done to tie it in after the division of Paramount it was made under collapsed.

http://www.latino-review.com/news/theres-more-than-meets-the-eye-with-10-cloverfield-lane

The reddit thread goes into more detail

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/416hat/the_truth_about_10_cloverfield_lanexpost_from/

Well poo poo, changing the threat from Iran to Cloverfield sounds like a great idea. I don't think American audiences would have reacted well to the original shooting's ending, but that's just me.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

MisterBibs posted:

If you're just interested in the special investigation mode information, here's a collection of all the captions throughout the movie.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Trump posted:

Wouldn't we have heard about this movie if it didn't start out as a Cloverfield spin-off? It's not like John Goodman is a huge star,

He's a pretty big star

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What is JJ even working on now? He's done with both Star Wars and Trek.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is JJ even working on now? He's done with both Star Wars and Trek.

Hes still producing star wars which is spinning up for ep 8 right now. Im sure he has something in the pipes for after ep 8 is safely filming in rian johnsons hands.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Hes still producing star wars which is spinning up for ep 8 right now. Im sure he has something in the pipes for after ep 8 is safely filming in rian johnsons hands.

Star Wars 8 comes out in just 17 months so he'll get working on something new pretty soon I think.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Star Wars 8 comes out in just 17 months so he'll get working on something new pretty soon I think.

17 months?! Seems like it would be easier for them to find an unreleased movie that's already been made and just add robots and Chewbacca to it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

JJ is so secretive, he produced Cloverfields 2 through 9 and is never showing them to the public.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Topper Harley posted:

17 months?! Seems like it would be easier for them to find an unreleased movie that's already been made and just add robots and Chewbacca to it.
this was awesome

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Topper Harley posted:

"Ok so buildings been taken over by terrorists and-"

"The terrorists are robots. Love it, hit me with the next bit."

"Uh, ok, and they only one who can stop them is a-"

"Ape! No, not hairy enough. A bigfoot. No, not big enough, we need something furry, big, and appeals to the kids. And something without a lot of lines so we don't gotta pay for speaking parts"

"What, like Chewbacca?"

Die ARARARRRRARRRH

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Detective No. 27 posted:

JJ is so secretive, he produced Cloverfields 2 through 9 and is never showing them to the public.

Cloverfield 5 is a shot-for-shot remake of The Day the Clown Cried with a CGI sea monster playing the Jerry Lewis role.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
A Cloverfield Christmas: A family is videotaping a somber Christmas morning with their kids who are too young to understand what is going on with the monster and the adults are trying put on one last great and perfect holiday memory for their children before the end of the world. Visiting relatives start coming in as it progresses and the kids remain oblivious; there are hints that something really horrific is approaching by nightfall, but it might not be the monster.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Live Free or Die Cloverfield: can john mcclain stop the cloverfield from marrying holly and destroying nakotomi 2?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
C:\loverfield

The monster looks for love in the world of online dating.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Cloverfield Of Dreams. Something something baseball and James Earl Ray.

JAMES EARL JONES sure okay. You say potato, I say racist assassin.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 17, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't know if you're making an "i had a dream" triple mashup with that but that is not that actor's name...

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Fixed it. drat that's a fuckup right there.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This probably means nothing, but John Goodman is drinking Swamp Pop in the trailer, and they seem to be taking advantage of the publicity:

https://swamp-pop.myshopify.com/collections/all-products/products/long-term-shelter-supply

They're based in Louisiana, for what that's worth.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It blows my mind that like eight years later there are still people holding a grudge because Cloverfield wasn't about slusho.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I'm just sad there was no slusho cameo in Star Wars VII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Gann Jerrod posted:

I'm just sad there was no slusho cameo in Star Wars VII.

Plot twist: Greg Grunberg has been slusho all along

• Locked thread