Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Somebody reassembled the trailer in an order that made sense to them. I like it.

http://imgur.com/a/poOmz

And then, there's the website https://www.3-11-16.com which redirects to an image of a bomb shelter.

Two lines of thinking on this: Paramount is just doing a cash grab, slapping some cloverfield bumper stickers on an existing movie, OR, JJ Abrams held a screening 4 months ago but intentionally omitted anything cloverfield to keep it under wraps.

Given how they pulled off that first movie under wraps, I'm hopeful this is the same thing. Please oh please do not let this be Blair Witch 2: The Witchening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FCKGW posted:

That website was only registered today and redirects to some real estate company's random image. They don't control the image it points to and can be changed to deleted at any time. I seriously doubt that's officially connected to the movie.

The realty website, bottom of the page:

Design by yesimarobot
http://yesimarobot.com/

Guy's been on twitter since April 2008? No clue.

But... come on. BAD ROBOT, and this is yesIamarobot.com?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FCKGW posted:

So you think JJ has been running a real estate company since 2008 in anticipation of this movie?

Someone registered the site today, googled "bomb shelter" and redirected it to the first image he found. Seriously, it's not an ARG site.

Plus Reddit has been calling the Realty website and the designer all day and they're getting pretty irritated now.
Yep. I agree with all this. I'm trying not to go down the ARG rabbit hole but it's just so drat fun.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Topper Harley posted:

17 months?! Seems like it would be easier for them to find an unreleased movie that's already been made and just add robots and Chewbacca to it.
this was awesome

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Cloverfield Of Dreams. Something something baseball and James Earl Ray.

JAMES EARL JONES sure okay. You say potato, I say racist assassin.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 17, 2016

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Fixed it. drat that's a fuckup right there.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CelticPredator posted:

New trailer aired. Looks dope. No sight of Clover though.
Does it all take place underground? If so, that confirms the, "aahh gently caress it just throw the monster into the last 5 minutes boom, we're rich" rumor.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
oh that's goddamn hotness.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm more and more convinced that this is another movie with CLOVERFIELD added to the title.

I doubt that'll affect my appreciation for the movie, but it'll reinforce my belief that movie studios and ad agencies will sell their soul and their own rectum to make a buck.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If there's no 1000 foot tall lizard, nor giant fleas, this is just a man-in-a-bottle movie. Or something. And by something, I mean, something that's not anything like Cloverfield.

And this:

wyoming posted:

All you dopes are why Halloween III wasn't recognized for its genius.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Cloverfield isn't the monster's name.

It's the name of a location movie about a monster that invades the poo poo out of NYC.
And I'll say this. I'm sure I'll enjoy the movie.

But it's going to annoy the hell out of me for the switch-and-bait tactic to promote what (I PRAY TO BABY JESUS) is going to be a decent movie without the Cloverfield tie-in.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So hey the movie FINALLY came out on iTunes. I snoozed/losed on catching it in the theatre, and at some point I stopped following this thread because I spoilers.

I loved it. I knew it was a non-cloverfield script that got shoehorned into the franchise, and that only bugged me outside of the movie. If this movie came out without the CF name, would I have seen it? Probably? IF it got enough funding to get enough marketing money to get my attention?

And this is what worries me about Netflix. How many great movies am I missing because they went direct to video, or didn't get the promoting muscle, franchise nod etc, to bubble up into my limited perspective?

I didn't think about the tie-in to the original NEARLY as much as I did with Prometheus. That one had absolute connections, (space ships, groovy chairs). This one didn't NEED to be connected to Cloverfield, and really I don't see any kind of a connection unless I really really worked at it... but at that point, I could also tie it to The Shining or Ferngully if I wanted to.

The greatest thing of the story to me was when [spoler] the aliens burst out of their chests.[/spiller] No I mean my favorite moment was realizing, "Hooray! A conspiracy theory doomsday crazy gently caress was actually right, he's saving people and they have to appreciate that fact." In a lot of movies, the doomsday guy is either wrong, (open the hatch, it's a beautiful world, he was just lonely) or he's right, but gets killed before anybody has to take his poo poo, (War Of The World, The Mist).

And while nobody took his poo poo for a whole year, they obviously endured the scenario for more than a month or two, judging from the healed stitches on his head.

I was really hoping that Emmet was the crazy pedophile kidnapper, (he's the one who took the photo of John and the bound girl, right? SOMEBODY had to take it. Polaroids don't have time-delay mode). I paused the movie the moment he narrowed his eyes as she was discussing the girl in the photo - thinking, "holy crap! John and Emmet kidnapped her, Emmet got a little too frisky, took over, John Goodman broke his arm only after Emmet killed the girl, John G said "you can stay, because I have to save the world, but let's not bring up the girl you tied up and killed."

It kind of works in the story... would have loved to see a second photo in his wallet of just him and the tied up girl, just to blow her mind some more, but I suppose she wouldn't be so fearful of John then.

I just do not understand why Hollywood hasn't taken me up on my offer to fix all their movies.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GORDON posted:

Back in the day I had a poloroid with a timer delay.
I learn something new everyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ahh gently caress it. It was a fun movie.

• Locked thread