Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

There are littler things as well, such as the sonic mirrors that shake away rain water and break up ice, but these are the biggest little things.

..........whoa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Forgot one that's already saved my rear end a few times.

The car powers down all interior lighting after it's been parked for half an hour or so. I've left the map lights on entirely too many times (all interior lighting comes on when you remove the key, and they stay on for a bit after getting out, so it's easy to miss those lights staying on after you've exited the car).

88h88 posted:

..........whoa.

:catdrugs:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
97 Ford Ranger

Despite predating smartphones, consumer GPS, and all of the other things that tend to soak up the available 12VDC outlets in a car today, my 97 has 3 fully functional "cigarette lighter" ports on the dash. I love it, and I want to know what Ford's engineers were thinking when they made that decision. Multiple spotlights?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Shifting just right so that the Blow Off Valve doesnt open properly as there isnt enough pressure to do so, causing a tiny little choo choo noise and a pop from the exhaust.

Sadly this will probably be lost in the re-tune next week, although I guess I could ask them to add some fuel to the map on decel.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

90 LS400. The steering wheel that gets out of your way after you remove the key from the ignition. The fact that the exterior keyhole is illuminated when you touch the door handle. Particularly since I lost the remote entry dongle

Stealth edit: the fact that traction control works in reverse

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
96 Towncar: Automatically disengages parking brake when put into drive.

07 Tacoma: Oil filter on top of engine and has drip tray with a nipple to attach a hose to so you don't drip any oil on the truck.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Maksimus54 posted:

96 Towncar: Automatically disengages parking brake when put into drive.

07 Tacoma: Oil filter on top of engine and has drip tray with a nipple to attach a hose to so you don't drip any oil on the truck.

05 landcruiser- EVERY window in it is auto up and auto down, not just the drivers. It doesnt shut down power to the window circuits for 40 seconds after you turn it off or if someone opens a door- means you can pull up, turn it off, realise youve left a window down and put it up.

It also turns the headlights off when the key is in ACC and you open the door, and turns them back on again when you turn the key back to ON

IT DOESNT loving BEEP, FOR ANYTHING. Headlights on? turns them off, Seatbelt not on? It just blinks an angry red light at you, door ajar, interior lights stay on.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
The extra 12V socket in the back of the Stagea so we can charge up anyone else's phone while the front one is taken.

The fact that you can change the two stage 5-7psi boost to just 7psi by grounding one wire.

The working climate control.

Enough space to load up half of Bunnings Hardware if need be..

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
auto up/down windows are the work of the loving devil

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Not when a competent manufacturer implements them- Wanna go part down, just push the button down lightly, want it to auto go down? Press it hard and you FEEL a detent you have to push past that tells you your in auto mode.

Fords are poo poo- theres no real difference between manual and auto mode.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Headlights on? turns them off

My favorite feature of basically every Toyota built between about 1975 and 2015. The absence of this feature in several non-Toyota cars has caused me to drain more than a few batteries.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The sound of the engine starting.

The fact that it has no abs or traction control.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ferremit posted:

IT DOESNT loving BEEP, FOR ANYTHING. Headlights on? turns them off, Seatbelt not on? It just blinks an angry red light at you, door ajar, interior lights stay on.

I finally thought of something for my car, which doesn't really have anything in particular to appreciate.

Ford Falcon FG - "seatbelt trick" where you plug and unplug it 10 times in a row to permanently disable the seatbelt warning system.
(ANCAP will come and rip one of the safety stars off your VIN plate if you do this.)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

atomicthumbs posted:

• the headlights turn off when you turn off the ignition, something that none of the non-Volvo cars I drive have figured out how to do

The 2014 or 2015 (I forget) Tacoma I drive at work does this. Handy as hell.

Nothing in particular about my truck, I just like it. 06 F150, V6, 225k miles. Hoping to make it to 250k just to have had a vehicle get to a quarter million miles.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

~Coxy posted:

I finally thought of something for my car, which doesn't really have anything in particular to appreciate.

Ford Falcon FG - "seatbelt trick" where you plug and unplug it 10 times in a row to permanently disable the seatbelt warning system.
(ANCAP will come and rip one of the safety stars off your VIN plate if you do this.)

Subaru has this same 'feature' but I think it's like 20 times within 30 seconds.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

1968 Ford F100 - Three on the tree, ludicrously hot heater and foot-stompy headlight dimmer switch.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

It has so much piston slap that people actually think it's a diesel

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

stevobob posted:

It has so much piston slap that people actually think it's a diesel

Same with mine, but it's just valve clatter when it's cold (hydraulic lifters).

It also has a weird resonance at exactly 1900rpm when it's warm. Probably due to exhaust geometry or something. Frightens children and old ladies etc.

E: Well mostly it just frightened me, until I sussed out the most probable cause. And it's done it for years with no apparent ill effect.

E2: It also have a odd propensity to get hit by other people. 3 times in the 3½ years I've owned it.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 26, 2016

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

97 Ford Ranger

Despite predating smartphones, consumer GPS, and all of the other things that tend to soak up the available 12VDC outlets in a car today, my 97 has 3 fully functional "cigarette lighter" ports on the dash. I love it, and I want to know what Ford's engineers were thinking when they made that decision. Multiple spotlights?

Cell phone, CD player and actually smoke cigars/cigarettes is my thought. If anything is going to have a million things plugged into the cigar lighters it's a pickup truck. Radios and mobile phones for work, CD players because it's doubtful one was optioned with frequency on a small pickup.

2007 SAAB 9-3
Being a SAAB means being full of little touches that never made or broke anyone's car-buying choice but yet are lovely.
The aircraft-style "Night Panel" mode which turns off all panel lighting but the speedometer (and you can turn off almost half of it in the menu) to help you eek a little more night vision out of your eyes. The sort of thing you use twice a year on average but are quite grateful for those two times.

The rear fog lamp sits firmly in the same category as the night panel. Technically they're both safety features but they don't feel like it as they're completely under your control and don't smother any aspect of the motoring; night panel actually facilitates it. They are there to balm the itchy rash of the headlight switch, which doesn't serve any useful purpose. As best I can tell, if it's set to "off", the headlights are always on without regard to the parking brake, the clutch, or the shifter or indeed the engine being off, but I can't select the high beam. If they are on, then I can use the high beam. The designers did recognize this and put it on the dashboard instead of the turn signal stalk, where it never really belonged anyway, so it's still a good headlight switch even though it doesn't do much.

There's a random button on the dash board which does nothing. It's provided if you want to add in a new feature. The sort of thing you'd expect in a utility truck, but it fits perfectly with the rest of the design so you can put your alarm system or mobile phone kit or radar detector or whatever you'd expect people to put in and it doesn't show at all.

There is a little slot to hold a charge card or an ID card or the like. Such a tiny feature but so goddamn useful, especially given that the bucket seat black hole of Calcutta is in full effect in this car.

Has both the skis hatch and a fully folding 60/40 rear seat. Neither are hard to use.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

KillHour posted:

My friend has a BMW, and it has a little red light on the bottom of the rear view mirror that projects a small spot on the shifter. It's a great touch.

I had an '04 X5 about ten or so years ago, and that was my favorite little touch in that car. Especially back then, before car manufacturers were doing lots of the "cabin glow."

Also had an '07 Lexus RX330 and the Lexus logo on the floor would light up at night when you open the door.

Other thing I loved about the X5 was the rain-sensitive wipers that would increase the intensity of sweeps based on the amount of precipitation. It was a money pit for sure, but with sport package (suspension, massive wheels, and bumper bar), it was definitely one of my favorites of the many cars I've had.

I get a kick out of confusing people with it, but in my '87 Mustang LX, you can't remove the keys from the ignition without holding in a little button hidden under the steering column. Confuses the hell out of everyone who drives it when they try to shut the car down and the key will only rotate back as far as the "options" position.

My company car is now a '16 black Ford Taurus SEL. Looks close enough to an unmarked cruiser that people will get out of my way on the roads. Nice car with all of the power and accoutrements one would need for long cruises. Company didn't skimp either and got me the V6 instead of the V4, so 288hp on tap is pretty nice. I also like the illuminated side-view mirrors when you unlock the car at night. Throws a little extra light for those dark parking lots. And it's free, so, yeah...

Cage posted:

The sound of the engine starting.

The fact that it has no abs or traction control.

If we're talking about your Mustang, oh yes. Nothing like starting that V8 up and sitting at idle while the whole thing bumps and rumbles with the cam. It's like being in a massage chair/feeling like you're having a seizure/palsy.

Like what mine sounds like on a chilly morning?

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=11j412p%3E&s=9#.VtMArRg3lUU

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 28, 2016

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
My 2005 Outback XT Unlimited:
Heated windshield wipers have basically made my ice scraper obsolete.

A full size spare in an easy to access location.

Little storage cubby above the radio makes a perfect place to wedge your phone when using it for navigation.

The ability to move 8 foot studio mixing consoles, shower stalls, loads of lumber from Home depot and 1960's Zenith console TV's without borrowing a friends truck.

Being able to pass old people doing 40 on a 55mph country road with said 1960's Zenith Console TV in the back.

Driving something fun with a turbo without my insurance rates going to hell.

Having random :rice: bros walk up to you at gas stations and offer you $7-9K for your 10 year old car.

Roof rack is a great place to mount my goony rear end ham radio antennas.

Total Police invisibility. I've driven this car in Ohio since 2011 without a front plate and nobody seems to care. I got pulled over in my 02 Legacy wagon for the same thing constantly. (Both cars came from out of state and never had the front bumpers drilled)

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 29, 2016

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Being able to disable ABS and traction control.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GOD IS BED posted:

Being able to disable ABS and traction control.

I don't have traction control outside of the Quattro differential, but I do have ABS disable!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That I can choose for the right sidemirror to tilt down when I put in reverse.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

After spotting my dad reversing a trailer in his car, I am very pleased that my car is not retarded enough to use the reversing sonar when a trailer is plugged in.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I'm thankful that my wife's car (13 Taurus limited) is super cheap to buy parts for. Tires, brakes, rotors + labor was 500. Had it been my Cooper S, this would have been easily closer to 60-80 percent higher. Conversely, the Cooper is much more modular and easy to work on and for that I'm quite thankful.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Both my VWs have wipers that step to the next lower setting when I come to a stop, so the insanity wipers of the maximum setting are impossible to get while stationary. It's one of those little things I'll miss if my next car doesn't do it. Also, if you turn the front wipers on to any level, the rear hatch wiper will eventually trigger, even if I never turn it on.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Oddhair posted:

Both my VWs have wipers that step to the next lower setting when I come to a stop, so the insanity wipers of the maximum setting are impossible to get while stationary. It's one of those little things I'll miss if my next car doesn't do it. Also, if you turn the front wipers on to any level, the rear hatch wiper will eventually trigger, even if I never turn it on.

On the post-08 Imprezas the rear wiper turns into hyper speed if you put the car into reverse.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
11 liters of washer fluid capacity.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Frank Dillinger posted:

11 liters of washer fluid capacity.

Daaaaamn that's nice.

Every Subaru I've ever owned has been exactly a full bottle of windshield washer fluid, which is like a gallon or something.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Daaaaamn that's nice.

Every Subaru I've ever owned has been exactly a full bottle of windshield washer fluid, which is like a gallon or something.

gently caress. My truck is the same way and that is so nice. Holds a gallon of washer fluid so I don't have a quart sitting around leftover.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

gently caress. My truck is the same way and that is so nice. Holds a gallon of washer fluid so I don't have a quart sitting around leftover.

Every GM I've had experience with since about 2000 seems to take a gallon with no trouble once it tells you it wants more washer fluid. This is great.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The power seat controls in both the 300SD and the e28 work without the key in the ignition

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
When I tap my turn signal stalk lightly it blinks the signals in the direction I want three times without me having to fully engage it

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

8ender posted:

When I tap my turn signal stalk lightly it blinks the signals in the direction I want three times without me having to fully engage it

Haha, I hate that feature. Luckily I appreciate the fact that it can be disabled.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
On my car, you can either "tap" or "click" the signal stalk. If you've "clicked" it and the blinker is on, you can disable the blinker again with a "tap" in the same direction, eliminating the risk of starting to blink in the opposite direction if the self-cancellation beat you to it. It's nice.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Oddhair posted:

The ford rangers at work turn them to intermittent. SLOWEST intermittent. So if its raining heavily and you pull up at the lights, within 10 seconds you cant actually see out the front of the car until you start to move again. Which is interesting.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

8ender posted:

bolind posted:

On my car, you can either "tap" or "click" the signal stalk. If you've "clicked" it and the blinker is on, you can disable the blinker again with a "tap" in the same direction, eliminating the risk of starting to blink in the opposite direction if the self-cancellation beat you to it. It's nice.

These two things are great little features that show someone thought about how indicators are used. The little three flash thing is mostly a courtesy signal and the same direction tap off solves the loving left, right, left, right signal you get on some other cars which makes you look like a dickhead.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oddhair posted:

My Panda did this too.

And if you pulled the stalk to activate the washers, it would run the wipers three times, wait 5 seconds and then run them again to wipe away any stray droplets.

I kind of miss that little feature, but I prefer the automatic wipers on my Peugeot, I never knew what a convenience that was until I got a car that has them. And of course having a huge-tastic washer fluid reservoir is nice, I can't remember the last time I refilled it myself, I usually just let my mechanic do it for like $5 when it's in for the yearly checkup and oil change anyway :wotwot:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Modern Fords that have auto down on all the windows will also let you roll down all 4 windows by holding down the unlock button on the key for a few seconds. Handy in the summer to air out the car.

• Locked thread