Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Noise Complaint posted:

Modern Fords that have auto down on all the windows will also let you roll down all 4 windows by holding down the unlock button on the key for a few seconds. Handy in the summer to air out the car.

Going from an E46 to (a Forester) to a '15 FiST, this is one of the features I miss the most from the BMW - rolling down the windows by double tapping and holding the unlock button, or rolling them up by doing the same with the lock button. It's the most effective way to air out hot stagnant air in the summer, and I love sliding into a fresh air'd cabin.

One of the little things I hate most about my current car: I know the auto-down feature exists in the FiST ECU, but it's not enabled for USDM versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Cellular Suicide posted:

One of the little things I hate most about my current car: I know the auto-down feature exists in the FiST ECU, but it's not enabled for USDM versions.

Truly, I hate that all two of the windows in my truck aren't auto-down. I mean, you already did half of them by wiring up the driver's side, why not finish it by doing the passenger's side?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I am constantly messing with wiper settings when it starts to rain. I'll even use the single wipe switch as needed if it's not raining hard because that's how much I loving hate hearing dry wipers skip across my windshield.

Noise Complaint posted:

Modern Fords that have auto down on all the windows will also let you roll down all 4 windows by holding down the unlock button on the key for a few seconds. Handy in the summer to air out the car.

Can't wait to try this out.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I can crash it into things and not care, and the base Scion FRS head unit swapped into it has super solid Bluetooth.

(04 RAV4. It sucks.)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Previa_fun posted:

I am constantly messing with wiper settings when it starts to rain. I'll even use the single wipe switch as needed if it's not raining hard because that's how much I loving hate hearing dry wipers skip across my windshield.

Oh god yes. That noise is awful.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

Cellular Suicide posted:

Going from an E46 to (a Forester) to a '15 FiST, this is one of the features I miss the most from the BMW - rolling down the windows by double tapping and holding the unlock button, or rolling them up by doing the same with the lock button. It's the most effective way to air out hot stagnant air in the summer, and I love sliding into a fresh air'd cabin.

If FoCCCus worked with the US model FiST you could re-enable this. The ability to tweak things with software is something I miss coming from a GTI to a FiST.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

88h88 posted:

Oh god yes. That noise is awful.

You guys need some decent wiper blades like Bosch Icons. Yeah, you pay more. But they last for years and you don't have that fuckin' noise. $40 for peace of mind? Hell yeah.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

wallaka posted:

You guys need some decent wiper blades like Bosch Icons. Yeah, you pay more. But they last for years and you don't have that fuckin' noise. $40 for peace of mind? Hell yeah.

I use cheapo Alaska wipers from my local discount hobby store. They're $10 each (with little spoilers on them!) and my current set has lasted about a year so far, including winter.

And they make no noise, despite being normal wipers, not flatblade.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I bought fancy icons for my car, and they were way noisier because the flat plastic hit the window when the beam twisted.
Went to OEM bmw blades, finally quiet.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Cellular Suicide posted:

You can enable it in the Focus using the FoCCCus software and a bluetooth or USB to OBD2 dongle. I'd imagine it likely works for the FiST as well.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

Noise Complaint posted:

You can enable it in the Focus using the FoCCCus software and a bluetooth or USB to OBD2 dongle. I'd imagine it likely works for the FiST as well.

US FiST isn't supported. It has a different Vehicle Type code. Adding into the XML config file doesn't help either.

Alabamarama
Aug 22, 2013
Heated door locks, so you can always lock/unlock it with a key no matter how miserable and icy it is.

It also does that passenger mirror rotate-y thing, but it's got a hilarious little stubby mirror so that only works well in theory.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I got an 09 reg Seat Leon TDi last week and I am totally in love with the recessed rear door handles for reasons I cant quite explain. Quite a trade up from my old '96 Corsa! Pic is not mine but illustrative.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Took me a while to figure out something for this thread cause both my cars are generally pretty great with a few little things I don't like, and not any little minor things I do like.

Except my Focus. I was a picky fucker who wanted it just right so I could avoid the awful automatic transmission while still getting the options I wanted and not the ones I didn't (MFT, sunroof) so my dealer had to bring it from out of town. That meant they didn't have a chance to put an advertisement on it, so I'm glad I don't have an awful little sticker on it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NonzeroCircle posted:

I got an 09 reg Seat Leon TDi last week and I am totally in love with the recessed rear door handles for reasons I cant quite explain. Quite a trade up from my old '96 Corsa! Pic is not mine but illustrative.

Yeah, I love that little design twist. Other cars that also have them are the Alfa Romeo 156, the Peugeot 206 SW and the Renault Clio from 2012 onwards, and it just makes the lines of the rear door so much cleaner.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, I love that little design twist. Other cars that also have them are the Alfa Romeo 156, the Peugeot 206 SW and the Renault Clio from 2012 onwards, and it just makes the lines of the rear door so much cleaner.

Does the RX-8 count?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And the BMW i3.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
thread necromancy!

The Forester taking a gallon of washer fluid when the reservoir is almost completely empty almost makes up for it not having a washer fluid level warning lamp. What kind of car doesn't have a washer fluid level warning lamp? :wtf:
The Forester's rear diff whistles and hums when I exceed 50mph. Very nice speed warning when not on the highway.
The white MJ's auto-off headlamps are great for getting complete strangers to warn me that my crapcan truck's headlights are still on.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

thread necromancy!

The Forester taking a gallon of washer fluid when the reservoir is almost completely empty almost makes up for it not having a washer fluid level warning lamp. What kind of car doesn't have a washer fluid level warning lamp? :wtf:
Conversely, I wish my XJ didn't have this. It's a "hey you parked on / drove over a hill" light.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

thread necromancy!

Most? I think I've only seen a few that do. It made my wife panic and call me to come pick her up once when it started flashing (too quickly for her to figure out what it was) while driving on a bumpy uphill road.

On the VWs, the washer fluid level sensor gets broken if you put Rain-X fluid in it anyway so it just seems like another thing to break.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I love how the 3.92's in my Ram Daytona allows me to slay virtually any car in a 30-50 roll war. It's hilariously dumb virtually everywhere else, but if I'm doing 30 and kick her in the guts it just jumps up and goes for about a second. Always makes me smile.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Krakkles posted:

Conversely, I wish my XJ didn't have this. It's a "hey you parked on / drove over a hill" light.
I fill mine up the second the light starts flickering so it's not really an issue for me.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Most? I think I've only seen a few that do. It made my wife panic and call me to come pick her up once when it started flashing (too quickly for her to figure out what it was) while driving on a bumpy uphill road.

On the VWs, the washer fluid level sensor gets broken if you put Rain-X fluid in it anyway so it just seems like another thing to break.
Huh, until I got the Forester I'd never owned a car without one. But then again I'd only owned XJs/MJs/occasionally a dodge 2500 I didn't own long enough to need to refill the washer fluid/a 5 ton that has air powered wipers and no washer fluid, so, well, I have no idea how common it is.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

kastein posted:

My 9-5 takes close to a gallon and a half from empty, and the reservoir gets really narrow at the bottom which stops the "you parked on a hill" warning feature. Its a perfect example of a little thing I like about that car.

E: Granted, the downside to the huge capacity is I spend half the summer working through the winter washer fluid which is terrible at removing bugs.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

I fill mine up the second the light starts flickering so it's not really an issue for me.
Your XJ doesn't have the undocumented feature where "excess" (read:"all") washing fluid is purged out of the nozzles on hills?

I've been debating putting a check valve in the line just to stop that. Or, not debating, meaning to but not actually getting it done.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I appreciate that my Camry is a boring, dependable easy to drive car that I really don't give a poo poo about. Just got a huge door ding the other day and couldn't care less I love it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Krakkles posted:

Your XJ doesn't have the undocumented feature where "excess" (read:"all") washing fluid is purged out of the nozzles on hills?

I've been debating putting a check valve in the line just to stop that. Or, not debating, meaning to but not actually getting it done.

Nope! Nor do my MJs. I don't even know how that would happen, since the nozzles are above the tank. Maybe the pump is stuck on or the pump grommets into the tank are leaking?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

Nope! Nor do my MJs. I don't even know how that would happen, since the nozzles are above the tank. Maybe the pump is stuck on or the pump grommets into the tank are leaking?
Sorry, when I say "hills", I mean I'm in 4-Lo and crawling up the face of something and the tank is definitely higher than the nozzles. I'll check out the grommets, though, I figure it can't be normal or desired behavior.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
My Audi doesn't have a windshield fluid sensor but manages to have two progressively more angry coolant and oil level warnings, a warning when it's cold outside, and a light that flashes to indicate "your tires are spinning and traction control is unhappy"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My car came with a wifi router. I named it Trump Death Camp.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

I love how the 3.92's in my Ram Daytona allows me to slay virtually any car in a 30-50 roll war. It's hilariously dumb virtually everywhere else, but if I'm doing 30 and kick her in the guts it just jumps up and goes for about a second. Always makes me smile.
Is that the SRT10?

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
When it runs for more than a week without something expensive/hard to get to/unobtainable breaking.

#frenchcarownership

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
My F150 doesn't have a washer lamp. Know what it does have? A spare tire, which after dealing with towing my wife's Kia last night I really loving appreciate.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

metaxus posted:

When it runs for more than a week without something expensive/hard to get to/unobtainable breaking.

#frenchcarownership

:emo:

Most recently, it was the wiper motor on mine.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

11 wrx:

- once the key is out of the ignition, all power is off (lights, radio, etc).
- when you are on an incline facing upwards, you can push the clutch in and take your foot off the brake, so then you just put in first and accelerate and the car will be stay on the brakes for a bit.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Ether Frenzy posted:

Is that the SRT10?

Next step down, kinda. They only made them in 2005, in both regular and crew cab, and 4x2 and 4x4. All with a Hemi. The most rare ones are the 4x2 regular cabs, which is what I have.

e- they do have the SRT-10 hood, though lol

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

My car has a little screen that tells me "WASHER FLUID LOW". This is both a good thing and a bad thing. It's nice to have a warning that I need to get more, but if I fill it at the point that it warns me I can only fit about 4/5 of the gallon in. If I wait a week or two until it starts spraying less fluid then I can fit the whole thing in. The reason it's a bad thing is the warning pops up every time I turn the car on or off, and replaces my MPG readout until I manually change the setting back to MPG. So I have to put up with that for a week or more until it's low enough to put the fluid in, or carry around a 4/5 empty bottle of washer fluid.

TLDR: First world problems.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 2, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Holy poo poo. Sitting in the E39 last night, turned the key to acc to listen to the radio while I was waiting on somebody. Noticed a "VENT ON" button on the radio. Hit it. God drat vent blowers turn on without starting the car. Thanks, BMW!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

My car has a little screen that tells me "WASHER FLUID LOW". This is both a good thing and a bad thing. It's nice to have a warning that I need to get more, but if I fill it at the point that it warns me I can only fit about 4/5 of the gallon in. If I wait a week or two until it starts spraying less fluid then I can fit the whole thing in. The reason it's a bad thing is the warning pops up every time I turn the car on or off, and replaces my MPG readout until I manually change the setting back to MPG. So I have to put up with that for a week or more until it's low enough to put the fluid in, or carry around a 4/5 empty bottle of washer fluid.

TLDR: First world problems.

Saab 9-3?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
That the switches are actually switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bloody Queef posted:

That the switches are actually switches.

Which Italian beast has those switches? And why do they not give a gently caress about showing the screws holding in the dash?

• Locked thread