Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

EclecticTastes posted:

The two Top Spins refer to different targets doing the spinning. The one that's unique to O-robo is a spin attack, like Top Man or something (perhaps that's where AG got the name "Top Spin").

That stands to reason. It's strong against ninjas, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

AweStriker posted:

We're going to follow a wrestler...

AND HIS NAME IS John

Seconding this.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

SystemLogoff posted:

I'm saving my favorite chapter for (second) last. :peanut:

It's so fun.

Same, Western is my favorite chapter (although Ninja is close) and the _____ Kid is my favorite character

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Andre the Wrestler, because memes are dumb.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Alright, there's been no new votes for ten hours and you've all had a full day. So let's see the results.

I count four votes for John, three for Andre and one for

EclecticTastes posted:

anything that isn't a reference to John Cena.
I'm gonna count that as an Andre vote and exercise my right as OP to cast a tiebreaker.

Andre it is! :cheeky: The wrestling chapter is quite short, so expect that in a day or two.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:rip: the guy who voted JONCNA. I didn't vote because I lost track of what the runner up to John was but I'm glad it didn't win.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Yapping Eevee posted:

I'm gonna count that as an Andre vote and exercise my right as OP to cast a tiebreaker.

Andre it is! :cheeky: The wrestling chapter is quite short, so expect that in a day or two.

Works for me!

"I'm on the Brute Squad."

"You are the Brute Squad!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

AlphaKretin posted:

:rip: the guy who voted JONCNA. I didn't vote because I lost track of what the runner up to John was but I'm glad it didn't win.

:emo:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Yapping Eevee posted:

If you'd be on Steam, I'd be giving you such an earful right now! :argh:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Yapping Eevee posted:

Well, I was going to cast a vote for naming him El Santo but that is an acceptable result to me.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I don't think wrestler is weak because it's so short.

It says what it needs to say and gets on with things.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Update 18: Bloody brawls.

Coming out of the most complex of our seven chapters, it’s time to wind down with something simpler.

-Strongest on Earth-

I must be adaptable.

I will learn much from each fighter.

In memoriam.

I look forward to the coming battles!

-------

With our montage and training theme taken care of, we are unceremoniously placed on a MegaMan-style selection screen. These are the six fighters that stand in the way of Andre becoming the strongest man in the world, and we can tackle them in any order.

We can also take a look at our menu; though Andre has no items to use, he does have amazing stats for only being level 2. They aren’t O-Robo levels of crazy, but they’re definitely better than our other protagonists had.

Trained by a special paramilitary fighting unit, Tula Han is a master of close-quarters combat. He fights with both mind and body as one, and can bend both to extreme measures.

Skills:
Armlock
Cross Heel Hold

Whenever you pick an opponent, we’re treated to a little bit of background for them and half their techs. It’s a nice little touch.

Let’s see how strong you really are…

Andre’s got his serious face on. So let’s get to wrassling!

-------

:rock: The Wrestling chapter has some pretty great music.

Also, the gimmick here is that Andre does not gain any experience during these fights. Nor will he get any new gear.

So you need to know how to take advantage of his moveset. Roundhouse here is weak, but turns the opponent. This can be quite handy, since as mentioned by some folks in the thread, enemies need to be facing a particular direction to use certain moves. And since it takes them some time to turn, you can ‘spin-lock’ some foes who can’t hit behind them.

Oh, and all that stuff about being adaptable and learning all the fighting skills? That directly translates into Andre being a blue mage. If he gets hit by the moves mentioned in the pre-fight text, he’ll add them to his own moveset.

Cross Heel Hold and Arm Lock are two great moves to start with, because Andre can use both of them as counter attacks. And of course, they lock away feet and hand techs as per usual.

To help support this whole deliberately-taking-damage thing, we have a weak healing move that also attempts to buff Andre’s power and level, along with cleansing some status effects. Battle Cry is going to see a whole lot of use in this chapter.

One important thing to note, however: Battle Cry has a brief charge time. It’s enough to let an opponent to turn around or move toward you, but not enough to attack (most of the time). Be wary of your placement when backing off to heal.

All of our opponents have three or four techs, but we just have to eat the others with no benefit.

Tula Han gets finished off with the last of Andre’s starting moves, Blazing Fist. It’s a solid diagonal-targeting attack.

Every competitor has their own beaten-up portrait and line for defeating them…

You cannot win if you don’t use your brain!

As well as one for losing to them. They tend to be very closely related.

-------

Heeding the call of the sumo, Jackie traveled to Hawaii to become the greatest ever. Unfortunately, he failed, and instead uses his sumo skills in international wrestling.

Skills:
Aloha Clap
Ogre Grip

My Sumo skills will crush you!!

-------

Jackie’s another good early candidate for an rear end-whooping, because his attacks aren’t too threatening when used against you.

Also, his fight is home to one of two secrets for this chapter. Disabling his movement makes getting this one much easier, hence why I fought Tula first.

If you hang around outside of Jackie’s range long enough, he will throw out his secret move. Earth-Rending Fury hits like a speeding train (and in a 5x5 area), so you’ll want to be near full health for this.

It’s also Andre’s final technique. It’s the only one besides Battle Cry to have a charge time… which is unfortunately beyond glacial. It’s honestly not too useful in most situations; enough so that it isn’t even unique to Andre. O-Robo learns this move at level 16.

But hey, completionism!

Jackie’s regular moves have a similar theme; Aloha Clap is a Wind tech that hits a 3x3 area and will probably push opponents back.

Owww. Guess who used Arm Lock and paid for it? :sweatdrop: (Andre basically spends the rest of this fight in critical health.)

Ogre Grip hits only one tile, but is more powerful than Jackie’s other tech. It also has the knockback, so if you keep triggering it, you can push back your opponent over and over while they move closer on their turns.

That was closer than I’d like…

-------

Come to think of it, is sumo wrestling a big thing in Hawaii?

Alternate dialogue:
You’ll never knock me out of the ringside rope!!

-------

Enlightened in the ancient Japanese technique of bare-handed killing, Moribe’s strikes can pierce even the toughest armor, yet can damage internal organs without breaking the skin.

Skills:
Abise-Geri
Tsuda

I hope you have studied well of the Art of War!

-------

Facing off against Moribe Seishi can potentially be a very infuriating fight. He has by far the least HP of Andre’s opponents, just 112. (Tula has 432, Jackie 576.)

Of course, this translates directly to him being insanely evasive. It’s a royal pain to land any hits on him at all.

This could potentially be counteracted by learning Tsuda and crippling his stats, but good luck landing it in the first place. :v: This also leads into the other reason why Moribe is annoying: his two non-learnable techs are both weak and have the exact same attack ranges as the learnable ones. Guess which he prefers using.

Though to be honest, it’s probably a good thing he doesn’t use Abise-Geri much. This attack will often spin its target around, which will prove invaluable later on.

Generally speaking, this fight tends to devolve into healing constantly and letting Andre counter this old man to death.

...Unless you get sick of that and drop a whole load of rocks on him for a one-hit kill. :fuckoff:

-------

Alternate dialogue:
My ancient Japanese martial arts have never been defeated!!

-------

America’s number one wrestler, Max has made a name for himself as a Hollywood star. He’s grown bored, however, and is seeking a challenger who can provide him with a new thrill.

Skills:
Max Bomber
German Suplex

What I know about wrestling wouldn’t fill a thimble, but I do know Maxamania’s running wild.

Max Bomber Number 1!!

-------

Oh man, that outfit. :allears:

Aside from a powerful elbow strike, Max Morgan has a spinning lariat…

And the eternal classic, the German Suplex. :getin:

I’ve never been much good at fighting games (Soul Caliber 3 and Bloody Roar: Primal Fury were the only two I really got anywhere with), but suplexes were part of what really sold me on playing Kirby in Smash Bros way back when. That’s more of a brawler, though…

But I digress. Now back to jump-kicking anime Hulk Hogan in the back of the head.

And using Battle Cry a bunch, because this dude’s whole thing is that he hits pretty hard. Max will wreck you pretty quick if you don’t keep your guard up. He also has 512 HP, so he’ll definitely win a pure damage race.

And with a firm kick right in the taint, we’re done here.

-------

Gracious even in defeat.

Alternate dialogue:
IIIIII’M NUMBER ONE! You’ll always be playing second fiddle, chump!!

-------

An incredibly flexible warrior who fights using the Muay Thai style. His ashiwaza high kick is considered to be absolutely devastating.

Skills:
Punchama Kick
Spiral Knee

If I’m not mistaken, Ashi-Waza simply refers to a leg or foot technique.

Too bad you won’t be able to so much as bruise my pretty face!!

-------

:sparkles:

Despite being a total pretty boy, Namcat is fully capable of stomping Andre into the dirt with his Spiral Kick.

Especially since he can use Panchama Kick as a counter, potentially knocking Andre back directly into its range.

Some strategic miscalculation makes Namcat the only one of the six fighters who I didn’t have to go back and get loss dialogue for. :sweatdrop: It turns out that there’s a version of Martial Arts Masters used just for these loss screens.

Get dunked on.

Namcat’s 255 HP doesn’t hold up for long against some :911: styling.

-------

:smug:

-------

A Japanese wrestler who has mastered the techniques of the Mexican Lucha Libre champ, El Rudo. His moves are considered to be extremely rough, and he has been called the Dark Angel.

Skills:
Frankensteiner
Tornado Press

You obviously have no skill! I’m gonna chop your head off!!

-------

Nope, still not sure what that is spilling out from behind Great Asia’s skull mask.

This fight has the slight issue that Asia absolutely loves using his unlearnable move, and its range is three tiles to his side, bottom and diagonal. It does about 30 damage and poisons Andre, so Battle Cry counteracts it almost perfectly.

Baring the weak 3x3 area of Aloha Clap and the extremely slow Earth-Rending Fury, Tornado Press is Andre’s best option for dealing with opponents more than two spaces away. It’s worth picking up just for that little bit extra range.

The last of Great Asia’s moves is a diving headbutt. And really, what else could you call that but the Frankensteiner?

Now, here’s a problem. The second secret for this chapter is in Great Asia’s fight. I had to take a few goes at this fight to actually get it to trigger before the big guy’s 244 HP runs out.

You have to force Great Asia to the bottom right corner of the arena, then have him use Bite. Every time he uses Bite, it has a chance to trigger an extra scene.

Yes, that was the chapter’s Watanabe moment. Great Asia leapt into the audience and straight-up murdered a dude who had thrown a can at him.

Live-A-Live: For kids!

-------

Alternate dialogue:
You’ll never be able to knock my head off!

-------

The game actually puts you straight onto the save screen after beating all six opponents… but we’re not done yet.

...Wow, he’s big.

It doesn’t help that apparently our Andre is very much not a giant.

I am not impressed, though. The competition was not exactly stellar.

First was that amateur, Namcat… and the Lucha wimp… I twisted Tula’s joints in ways nature never intended! Then Max, and that fatass, Iaukea… And the geezer, whatever his name was. They were weak… so they died! Now, you fight me…!

You didn’t fight them…

Namcat’s ashiwaza… Great Asia’s Lucha… Tula’s armlocks, Jackie’s strength… Morgan’s power, Seishi’s technique! And… my anger…!

-------

-------

Odie Oldbright is perhaps the toughest final boss of the seven chapters, even with Andre having access to a full moveset.

Firstly because he’s reasonably evasive, so some moves will have a hard time landing.

And while his ranged attack isn’t too strong, his melee attack is pretty hefty. Add in the fact that he has 832 HP, and it’s really quite tough to stay alive long enough to whittle him down.

Also, don’t stand on the diagonal. Odie does have one more tech called Terrible Shout, but it just heals him for about 20 HP.

Full disclosure: I died five times in this fight. :rip:

Why yes, that is a ‘Continue?’ timer. The game is nice enough to let you just jump right back to trying the fight again without punishment, something I really wish more games would do.

The best tactic I can find for this fight is to lower Odie’s stats a few times with Tsuda, then back off. If you can stop him moving beforehand, that would be even better.

If you stand two spaces to the side and one down from Odie (or vice versa), Odie can’t hit you with his ranged attack. This is the ideal spot to pummel him with Abise-Geri, which will turn him around. He will then use his turn to spin back around. Repeat ad nauseum.

The problem is that even two or three Tsudas won’t give Abise-Geri perfect accuracy, and it won’t always turn Oldbright around successfully either. So you also need a little bit of luck. Unfortunately, that’s the best I’ve got.

But hey, it got me there eventually. :toot:

-------

(No music, wind blows.)

The title… passed on, until it reached me… I, the great one! The invincible! It is my… destiny… to be the best there… ever was… You… can’t be… human…

I will be the strongest!

Such is the life of a champion.

-------

And that, ladies and gents, was the Wrestler chapter in its entirety!

Andre managed to rise to the top, overcoming even the most brutal of opponents.

It was a short chapter, but it did what it needed to.

And now we have just two more of our seven chapters to explore. We will be meeting this mysterious man next time… But what’s his name? Remember, it’s going to be the ______ Kid.

Also, please enjoy pretty anime Hulk Hogan.

-------

Notable Quotables

Junpei Hyde posted:

For those possibly wondering why the obvious Hulk Hogan analogue doesn't use his signature finishing leg drop as a move, the Max Bomber technique is presumably based off of the Axe Bomber, a lariat that Hogan used as his primary finisher in Japan. A popular rumor is that it was established as his finisher when it legitimately knocked out Japanese legend Antonio Inoki in a match, although it's most likely that he wasn't actually knocked out.

There, that will probably be my sole piece of info contributed to this LP :v:

Choco1980 posted:

Also, one of the few things I know about wrestling is your description isn't what's going on in the Frankensteiner move. It's a real thing in pro wrestling similar to the Japanese Huricanrana. It's not often done on floor like you see here, usually it's a turnbuckle move. But basically, the guy doing it jumps up, wraps their knees around their opponents head, and does a back flip, slamming them face-first into the mat. I can definitely see how the limited sprite work is trying to get that across.

Mootiman posted:

i didn't catch it the first time i played this, but I'm pretty sure the kickboxer is a reference to Parinya Charoenphol. She was known for beating guys up and then kissing them and had a few matches in Japan.

EclecticTastes posted:

So, Wrestling chapter!

First off, Live A Live's composer, Yoko Shimomura, used to work for Capcom, her best-known works for the company having been the soundtracks for Street Fighter II and Final Fight. Knock You Down, in fact, has a number of commonalities with Ken's theme. Interestingly, the final boss of the chapter is actually more of an SNK reference. The majority of Odie Oldbright's character design is pretty clearly based off of Fatal Fury's Geese Howard (while he actually has close-cropped hair, Geese's sprite typically looked bald), though, the prayer beads you see around his neck in his portrait may be a reference to a character who had made significant waves a few months earlier, as the February of 1994 saw the release of Street Fighter II Turbo to arcades, and with it, Akuma. The end credits, while not shown, have each of the fighters in turn appearing and showing off both of their sprites, which I take to be a reference to the trend in fighting games to, during the end credits, have a montage of the various fighters appearing and striking a pose.

Now, for the chapter's illustrator! Ryoji Minagawa is another somewhat obscure name, though he won that same award that a couple of the others have won, kinda feels like it's the Newbury Award of Japanese funny books. Interestingly, he gives his inspirations as George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Francis Ford Coppola. More hardcore anime fans than me might know his work on Project ARMS (I only barely recognized the name, myself). This chapter isn't the last time he does fighting game character designs, either, as recent entries in the Tekken series have tapped him to design alternate skins for some of the cast.

Also, yeah, pretty anime Hulk Hogan sure is something.

Shiki Dan posted:

More reference info for the wrestler chapter!

The Hawaiian sumo Iaukea is most likely an homage to Hawaiian pro wrestler King Curtis Iaukea, who was also the great grandson of Colonel Curtis Iaukea, a diplomat for the Kingdom of Hawaii in the 19th century, and whose uncle was an assistant to none other than the famous King Kamehameha III.

Of course, most American wrestling fans know Curtis Iaukea for his role as the "Master" who led his Dungeon of Doom as arch-enemies against Hulk Hogan for years in the mid 90's, peaking with.....this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pretEZVIXv4

Also the final boss' surname MAY be a reference to one of the most famous gaijin wrestlers in Japan during the mid 90's, Gary Albright

Ironically, Gary Albright also ended up dying during a pro wrestling match...

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 9, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

quote:

Hawaii
Paging The White Dragon. :v:

Why is Asia called that when the flags on his arena are clearly not Asian? :confused:

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
The Waco Kid

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Yeah I like this.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I like how Hawaiian Sumo's defeat portrait looks like he got blazed.
And absolutely voting for The Waco Kid. That name sounds... wilder than any of the other suggestions.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, let's go for the Wacko Waco Kid.

That continue timer may have been actually full-force ripped off straight from Street Fighter II, looking at it. The victory/defeat screens are certainly a homage, and it's pretty unsurprising since as far as I know Yoko Shimomura did some sound stuff for Capcom in the early SNES days...

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

For those possibly wondering why the obvious Hulk Hogan analogue doesn't use his signature finishing leg drop as a move, the Max Bomber technique is presumably based off of the Axe Bomber, a lariat that Hogan used as his primary finisher in Japan. A popular rumor is that it was established as his finisher when it legitimately knocked out Japanese legend Antonio Inoki in a match, although it's most likely that he wasn't actually knocked out.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
Everbody know what's up.

But I'll let my vote be up to Pure Imagination.

I'm sorry, I'm not good with making sly references, so just to be blunt, my previous suggestion of the Waco kid

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Junpei Hyde posted:

It's Pro-Wrestling. No matter which country you go, there will always be gigantic exaggeration of one's athlecticism due to the nature of the entertainment.

And we wouldn't have it any other way.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ArcadePark posted:

It's Pro-Wrestling. No matter which country you go, there will always be gigantic exaggeration of one's athlecticism due to the nature of the entertainment.

And we wouldn't have it any other way.

Sorry, but this chapter definitely wasn't pro-wrestling. You need actual skill to win in the chapter.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Hopping on the Waco Bandwagon.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm sure Waco's going to win for reasons unknown to me, but I always liked the sound of the Cisco kid. He was a friend of mine...

Also, one of the few things I know about wrestling is your description isn't what's going on in the Frankensteiner move. It's a real thing in pro wrestling similar to the Japanese Huricanrana. It's not often done on floor like you see here, usually it's a turnbuckle move. But basically, the guy doing it jumps up, wraps their knees around their opponents head, and does a back flip, slamming them face-first into the mat. I can definitely see how the limited sprite work is trying to get that across.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Springtime for Waco

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Twinky the kid.

EDIT: oh yeah, 6 letters.

mauman fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 28, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The Nntndo Kid

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Gotta go with the Waco kid.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The Nntndo Kid

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yeah, it's a good choice.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Even though I'm rather fond of The Koopa Kid, I think I'll have to side with the majority and vote Waco Kid.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i'd drink like that too if i were named after waco

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Come to think of it, is sumo wrestling a big thing in Hawaii?

There have been a couple fairly successful Hawaiian sumo wrestlers. Takamiyama Daigorō was the first foreigner ever to win a major championship, and his student Akebono Tarō was the first foreign-born Yokozuna.

Mootiman
May 9, 2005
i didn't catch it the first time i played this, but I'm pretty sure the kickboxer is a reference to Parinya Charoenphol. She was known for beating guys up and then kissing them and had a few matches in Japan.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Huh, never knew about the Watanabe moment in there. Then again I usually had a hard enough time getting Great Asia to use his Frankensteiner move.
Wrestling is a great chapter for learning a bunch of combat things since you get a variety of moves and an obligation to try them out.

Eevee kind of did this chapter's fights in order of difficulty. Tula Han and Jackie are the easiest since they're incredibly vulnerable to their own moves and they don't do a lot of damage. Namkat is middling (spiral kick does a lot but the rest of his moves don't), Moribe is medium-hard depending on how much he uses his learnable moves because they are the best moves Masaru Andre has, bar none. That means they're also great at killing you.
The wrestlers are the hardest, Max because he does tons of damage, and Great Asia because he prefers biting you to using his learnable moves (which also do a bunch of damage.)
Odie can be pretty tough but uh, Tsuda 3-4 times plus a steady diet of Abise-geri kills him with no problems. That's Andre's winning combo and why learning Moribe's moves is so crucial.

So here's the combat lesson for this chapter: Facing is important.

For enemies it's as Eevee said, their facing determines their range for moves. Unlike the characters who can use their moves in a 360 area, enemies are generally restricted to their forward 180 degree ranges. This is to balance them a bit since they can have tons of HP and powerful moves.
However there's also an aspect of balance for the characters: you take more damage from back attacks.
How much more is somewhat variable but I want to say it's in the ballpark of 50% more damage.

What determines the back of your character?
This is actually pretty simple and logical, everything in the game faces on a diagonal and can turn four directions so you have two 'front' spaces where they should be and two 'back' spaces the same.

Still keeping to my default names vote from way back when.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mootiman posted:

This game came out in 1994. Check your own link.

Mootiman
May 9, 2005

Xander77 posted:

This game came out in 1994. Check your own link.

oh weird i guess it was just eerily predictive or something

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Much as I like Sundown as a reference, The Waco Kid is an acceptable substitute.

So, Wrestling chapter!

First off, Live A Live's composer, Yoko Shimomura, used to work for Capcom, her best-known works for the company having been the soundtracks for Street Fighter II and Final Fight. Knock You Down, in fact, has a number of commonalities with Ken's theme. Interestingly, the final boss of the chapter is actually more of an SNK reference. The majority of Odie Oldbright's character design is pretty clearly based off of Fatal Fury's Geese Howard (while he actually has close-cropped hair, Geese's sprite typically looked bald), though, the prayer beads you see around his neck in his portrait may be a reference to a character who had made significant waves a few months earlier, as the February of 1994 saw the release of Street Fighter II Turbo to arcades, and with it, Akuma. The end credits, while not shown, have each of the fighters in turn appearing and showing off both of their sprites, which I take to be a reference to the trend in fighting games to, during the end credits, have a montage of the various fighters appearing and striking a pose.

Now, for the chapter's illustrator! Ryoji Minagawa is another somewhat obscure name, though he won that same award that a couple of the others have won, kinda feels like it's the Newbury Award of Japanese funny books. Interestingly, he gives his inspirations as George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Francis Ford Coppola. More hardcore anime fans than me might know his work on Project ARMS (I only barely recognized the name, myself). This chapter isn't the last time he does fighting game character designs, either, as recent entries in the Tekken series have tapped him to design alternate skins for some of the cast.

Also, yeah, pretty anime Hulk Hogan sure is something.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Choco1980 posted:

Hmm... Yeah, I can sort of see it.

Junpei Hyde posted:

ultrafilter posted:

There have been a couple fairly successful Hawaiian sumo wrestlers. Takamiyama Daigorō was the first foreigner ever to win a major championship, and his student Akebono Tarō was the first foreign-born Yokozuna.

EclecticTastes posted:

So, Wrestling chapter!
:) Thanks for the info, folks! I'm going to have to go back at some point and edit a bunch of quotes into my updates.

AlphaKretin posted:

Paging The White Dragon. :v:

Why is Asia called that when the flags on his arena are clearly not Asian? :confused:
No, no. TWD did the Mecha chapter in the old LP, not the Wrestler one! :pseudo:

And I think it's the whole 'trained under a Lucha Libre master' thing.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
In my heart, he will be the Fresno Kid. Even though Waco is clearly going to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Our western hero will be the Emo kid.

Odie Olbright's back tattoo reminds me of something, but I can't quite place it. Is it something from Hindu mythology?

• Locked thread