Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Also:

Yapping Eevee posted:

Yuan has an interesting narrative if you refuse to recruit him at first, but I'm just going to summarize that and show you the boring version instead
Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's fitting because yuan is a boring character

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I'm not sure getting to skip a few lines of dialogue counts as an interesting change. The rest of the conversation is exactly the same as what was shown. :shrug:

However, in response to this:

Xander77 posted:

Eh? Sammo has... umm... "certain scenes" that are unique to him and really exceptionally good.

The first file contains the last update and the start of the next. The other four are the rest of this chapter... played three times. :sweatdrop: So rest assured that any alternate scenes will be covered.

Speaking of:

It definitely looks like Li Kuugo is our canon choice.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Speaking of:

It definitely looks like Li Kuugo is our canon choice.

Awww...

Ah well, as long as it isn't Yuan.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
please don't backseat lets play

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

That vote felt a lot closer than it was.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

MightyPretenders posted:

That vote felt a lot closer than it was.

It really did. It felt like people were voting completely unpredictably.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The first half of the voting was basically wall-to-wall Li and then it tightened up a bit more after that, I think.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Choco1980 posted:

It really did. It felt like people were voting completely unpredictably.

Voting Li because Sammo's boobs are too big.

:colbert:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Update 11: Tried and true training methods.

It’s kind of a dump, huh?

So this’s the place where I’ll be trained…

I-I’m… hungry already… Let’s eat before doing anything else, Master…

I’m sorry, but first things must come first.

Awwww!

That one screen transition between the dojo and main intersection must cut out a lot of hiking.

C’mon, let’s get started!

Firstly, I’ll need to re-evaluate each of your skills to see where you are and where you need to be.

Li… Okay, but don’t go easy on me. My joints aren’t that stiff yet!

As if I’d ever give you a break!

So before the formal training can begin, we have to gauge everyone’s base performance.

By which I mean brutally kick their asses, because they’re levels 1-5 and the Master is level 10.

Phew… who’s next?

Me, me!

After we’re done, we can start perparing (sic) a feast!

The Master certainly knows how to motivate his new pupils, at least.

Sammo starts at the highest level of the group, and his natural beefiness allows him to actually get a few turns.

But it also turns out that the Master is capable of using his various WuTang techniques as counterattacks, which makes things still go pretty quickly.

And this is the last of the Master’s techs, Monkey Fist. While Lion Fist knocked the opponent backward, this one moves the Master instead. It also scales with speed, which means the Kirin Shoes are helping boost this and Squirrel Kick.

Mm… mmph… mph…

Phew, good… Now, Yuan…

... H-here I come!

Give me your best shot! Try to kill me!

Yuan is only level 1, and both of his two basic techs are completely worthless.

Naturally, this doesn’t last long.

Uhr… rr…

(Music stops.)

Before you ask, no. Yuan doesn’t even fall down in an interesting way.

This could be… quite a lot of fun… heh…

-------

Ah, the sounds of the mountain at night.

... Heheh… I certainly wasn’t expecting this… It’s been such a long time since I was last so physically exhausted, but this doesn’t feel too bad…

*Thunk.*

Oh my, is he injured? :ohdear:

That’s our Sammo! :razz:

:suicide:

-------

This will be a lesson in endurance. The air up here is very thin. You may have some difficulty, but you will improve faster.

Alright, so this is why I put up that vote for our successor last update. Obviously the next WuTang Master will be the one who gets the most training, so I wanted to know who to focus on.

Li grabbed an early lead that kept her firmly ahead as new votes started to even out between the candidates. Some scenes will change because of this choice, but these differences will be covered in a later bonus update.

For our main route, we will be following in inthesto’s footsteps.

Since the Master cannot gain experience, these fights are actually all about giving it to the students.

Oh, and they also get a nice stat bonus for every fight. +20 Vitality total? Yes please!

(Phew… Three more…)

LaoHuZhiWu gained.

The other important part of training is that if you focus on using one of the Master’s techs, the pupil will learn it once they level up. And yes, that does mean that Li can now use the Old Fox Dance against the Master.

(I’m getting tired… Two more…)

Li also has some ranged attacks of her own, though she’ll be better off once she learns the Squirrel Kick.

(Nnh… Last one…)

...I did mention Li’s IQ growth takes a while to kick in, right? Because she sure isn’t getting much damage out of dancing until it does.

Oh, and using a move she’s learned from the Master tends to trigger him using it right back.

How was it? Tough, yes?

Hmph… I-It wasn’t… that… hard…

You jerk! I don’t… need any… help…

No, no, no! L-Li’s a girl…

Oooookay…? I guess she’s not used to being seen that way.

-------

Agility… I-I don’t like this one…

It sure is hard to move around out here.

Hah! This place is like home to me!

Shall we begin?

The four fights in the forest are worth 5 Speed each, though Li already gets decent performance out of Squirrel Kick without the +20.

I should point out that because the students begin at different levels, they will learn different amounts of the Master’s techniques during this special training period. Li will barely fall short of level 8, so you can only teach her four of them right now. Sammo can only learn three if focused on, and Yuan will learn six. (Fusha No Sha will be the odd one out, since the Master can’t perform it on demand.)

-------

...Couldn’t you have given them mats or something?

Hmm? Where’s Yuan?

(Heheheheheh…)

-------

(No music.)

From this moment forward, you will obtain power by fighting directly with me.

I suppose all that earlier rear end-whooping was an abstraction of the real training.

Can we have more food after we train?

This time… I will not hold back against any of you!

Still working on that courage I see, Yuan.

(Now, who to start with…)

The dojo session gives the usual +20, this time to Power. It’s also where the students actually start becoming something of a threat to the fragile old Master, provided you aren’t keeping them continually stunned and/or crippled.

But the Master still prevails.

Okay, that’s enough for today…

(Music stops.)

Master!?

Worry not… You were just… stronger than I’d thought. Heheh, looks like I over-exerted myself…

-------

-------

(No music.)

To fight properly is not merely to attack your opponent, after all… I believe you are all ready to handle the next step.

N-n-no! It wasn’t me this time, I swear!

...what? Oh, no, nothing like that!

Thugs?

It must be the Tiger King! Do they think that the Master doesn’t care about Yuan Hua?

You alone will not be able to stop them. Or rather…

one mustn’t fight fire with fire. Aggression only leads to more hatred. Your minds have not been trained yet. I am sorry…

Sir…

O… okay…

And with that, we are able to leave. Though the Master’s pupils do each have another line to say.

B-be careful!

Master, come back soon so we can have dinner together!

-------

Now it’s time to deal with some punks.

Bring the beer!

As we walk up the street, we can hear them having a good time.

Bring the food o’er here!!

Alright, that’s quite enough of that.

(Music stops.)

You can either leave here now, or you can get hurt. I’m sure you don’t want that, yes?

You think I’ve been horsin’ around since we last met?

Eat this!!

Hey, guess what? These guys have exactly the same stats as before.

So, one dance-off later…

This isn’t over!

Well, this feels familiar.

Yi Po Men Kung Fu…

Wahoooooo!

Setting that thought aside for a moment, the people all along this street have rewards to give us.

Including the Fukahire Bun, which is a full heal. It’s pretty nice.

Come this way…

...Classy, game. Real classy.

On the more serious side of things, there’s a whole assortment of good stuff on this street now.

We have all three of the chapter’s accessories, as well as the Tiger equipment (which adds Power and is considerably stronger than our old gear). The tome is worth +10 IQ, the Chow Chow (as in dog?) is +10 Vitality, and the Panda somehow provides +10 Speed.

Alright, now we just need to head back and make sure everyone kept up with their exer-

-cises…

:ohdear:

(Music stops.)

... U-urggh… S-Sorry… Some guy from… Yi Po Men Kung Fu… came a-and… we… fought… but… We… were… out… numbered…

Where are Yuan and Sammo!?

They’re… inside…

Li…

Yuan!! … Yuan…

Hang in there, Sammo! … Sammo!!

(You’ll regret this…!)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the chapter description does say you have to choose one disciple but i still think the selection itself is a little obtuse. those training sections are framed such that you may try to keep everyone pretty even or address their weaknesses, when you really do want to put all your eggs in one basket

Looper fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 4, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"Okay, I'm going to teach you guys the secrets of my kung fu! Except for you two. You two get to watch. And I'm going to teach the third one by just beating the crap out of them. Any questions?"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Looper posted:

the chapter description does say you have to choose one disciple but i still think the selection itself is a little obtuse. those training sections are framed such that you may try to keep everyone pretty even or address their weaknesses, when you really do want to put all your eggs in one basket
Yeah, this threw me for a loop until I figured it out. It's pretty much based on levels, whoever is the highest is your surviving disciple. Because you have to train four times per area you cannot even everyone up, someone HAS to come out on top.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Yeah, this threw me for a loop until I figured it out. It's pretty much based on levels, whoever is the highest is your surviving disciple. Because you have to train four times per area you cannot even everyone up, someone HAS to come out on top.

Wouldn't it be possible to train two people equally? Or does their level difference at the start make this impossible somehow?

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Did anyone notice that Odi part of the name Odi Wang Lee? The pattern appears to be continuing.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Well I guess it's familiar...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, they used that pasty fooligan to lure the Master into town?

Well played, Yi Po Men Kung Fu.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Is that what it was? I just assumed that the mook quickly ran off for his boss while the Master was being given food by the townsfolk and leisurely walking home.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wouldn't it be possible to train two people equally? Or does their level difference at the start make this impossible somehow?

Their initial level differences make that impossible. Everyone gains one level per training session at 4-7 ish, there's some overlap with Yuan (he'll double level twice) and Li to some extent. Sammo will level up slower than everyone and IIRC you need one or two more training sessions in order to match levels with two characters.

Pretty sure the pasty guy was honest in his 'help us!' plea and someone saw the Master head into town to take care of it so that's when they attacked the place.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Update 12: WuTang Revengeance.

(Forgive me, and farewell. I’ll be with you all soon enough… Wait for me… )

I’m really too old to do this, so I’ll only do it once.

My eyes…

And my footwork!

To your sight… And to your mind…!

... Ha… ha… This is… WuTang’s final technique…

Translation: Hall of Mirrors.

...Okay, not really. inthesto called it “The Whirlwind Fang”.

But, you’ll soon understand… With your skills, it won’t take very long.

-------

Rest well…

I am just going… to pray for their souls…

In other words: “I am just going outside and may be some time.”

-------

Yuan, forgive me…

Forgive me, Sammo…

As some people in the thread have discussed, the Master’s training affects which student will survive the attack on the dojo. It’s a dirty trick on the game’s part, given that most people are likely to try and spread the training out instead of piling it on one student (despite the chapter intro).

As you may expect, our goal here is to go have some harsh, violent words with the practitioners of Yi Po Men Kung Fu.

Li!

I understand… Are you ready?

Come on now!

Let’s go, Li…

Yeah, that’s the spirit! The more the merrier! :black101:

-------

Well, I do have an appointment…

Hah! YOU!

Battle in China will be playing non-stop for the vast majority of this update; we have a lot of fools between us and Odi Wang Lee. Oh, and I should point out that one big difference we’ll be seeing is when the chosen pupil joins; Li is the only one who will show up in time for this little fight.

These guys are massive chumps by the way. They have 32 HP, so even Li’s weaker moves will murder them.

Master!! The WuTang Master!

Hello, dancing fodder.

Discussing experience values for this chapter is somewhat pointless; practically none of the fights are repeatable, aside from the tigers out in the bamboo forest. The main thing to remember is that these guys are practically worthless.

Li’s default abilities are actually reasonably usable if you somehow mess up her training and stop her learning the Master’s techs. Monkey Hand is definitely no Monkey Fist though.

SheXingQuan is the poor woman’s Squirrel Kick. Her last move is rather a tricky one to use, and we’ll see why later on.

I choose to believe that this is not a battle cry, but a scream of terror.

The instructor is more powerful than his underlings, but only has 100 HP. He’s also worthless experience-wise. Slaughter him and move on.

Well, I did promise there would be tigers.

This is the only encounter before the end of the dojo that’s worth good experience, having a value of 9. I’m sure there’s a lion/tiger’s share joke in this somewhere.

Their defence kind of sucks though.

Now that we’re done with the special rules of the Master’s training sessions, our chosen pupil will learn whichever of the Master’s techs they don’t already know before being able to get any of their unique ones. So Li will learn the remaining two (including Fusha No Sha, remember) at levels 9/10, and then start on her own techs at level 11.

Another tiger, two mooks and an instructor later, we can actually get through the door. There are seriously a lot of fights in here.

They’re just speed bumps. (There are items in those pots, including a single-use attack item. Nothing great.)

Well, for how heinous he is, I kinda like Odi’s taste in decor.

Though perhaps he could control his pets a little better.

Whatever the ‘luck’ Lion Hand claims to be based on actually is, Li seems to have plenty of it.

:getin: +20 Speed for the Master and Li now.

Three more soon-to-be-corpses in this room.

Oh, and there’s a hidden item. If you check the table, there’s another Fukahire Bun.

The next room has the first encounter that’s actually reasonably dangerous if you stand in the wrong spots. (Its experience value is 2.)

This is one such wrong spot. This attack does a good 80 damage, half the Master’s health and a third of Li’s.

Li retaliates with the only charged move she knows; ShuiNiaoJiao takes a while to perform and only works on enemies three spaces away, but it hits extremely hard. It can be quite valuable if used properly.

I may be misremembering this, but I think that if you avoid triggering the previous fight, this room will continually throw enemies at you. But this chapter can be beaten with no grinding at all, so why bother?

Coming through, kitty.

These guys are still pretty easy, and actually weaker than the instructors we’ve been facing. You can attack and break the table in this fight, but it’s not an enemy and doing so has no benefit beyond letting you move more freely.

Ah, good. No matter which student survives, they should end up at level 9 without grinding.

You see, we are nearly at the end of the dojo.

There’s just a tiger and two more mooks between us and the last room. At this point, you may wish to give all the best equipment to the student instead of the Master. Both because the student is outpacing the Master, and for Reasons™.

(Music stops.)

Oh look, he has a throne. :jerkbag:

So you’re Odi Wang Lee…

Greetings… I’m impressed that your little sidekick is still alive. My congratulations.

I could have them all attack you at once, but that would not be fair, would it? And I do so dislike unfair situations.

You had no problem sending a gang of these blockheads to our home!

Ah, you refer to my small army of grunts. They are far too weak, alone, to handle any meaningful task. These here, on the other hand, are my favorites! Allow me to introduce you…

Yi Xi, Er Xi. Dong Jia, Xia Jia. Nan Jia, Bei Jia. Chan… Lin… and Shan, the Sisters. And…

Yes, he does have everyone stand up when he says their names. I trust you can do without the other half-dozen images to figure out he’s going up toward the head of the table.

And if you can’t beat them, you obviously won’t be able handle me… (sic) Now!

So yes, we have to fight four pairs, one trio and an old man before we can get to the actual boss fight. This chapter really backloads all the combat.

As mentioned, make sure Li has the better equipment now. (99 total speed. :allears:)

You can pick a fight by trying to talk to the next set of combatants, or by trying to talk to Odi directly.

The first two get promptly kicked to death.

The second two aren’t far behind them.

As you may be guessing, the first half of this little gauntlet is just to ease you into things.

It’s the second pair of fat dudes that actually kick things into gear and start becoming threatening.

If you aren’t lucky with your stun procs, this move in particular can cause some hassle. 60-ish damage, comes out fast, dude on the right loves spamming it. (Take him out first.)

The guy on the left has a chance to drop this interesting item, for those of you who like to savescum such things.

Yuan would probably have liked this. :smith: As it is, I just stick with the Tiger Gauntlet.

Indeed, Master. How about my favorite pretty sisters?

It’s also worth noting that totally-not-the-Magus-sisters have the Dragon Suit, which follows the same vein as the gauntlet. Specifically it’s Chan who drops it.

Shan and Chan aren’t too tough, though the latter has a weak counterattack.

Lin, on the other hand… She’s genuinely dangerous if you make the mistake of standing in range of Twin Swords. If you attack her up close, do it on the diagonal.

You’ve waited enough, Yi Bei Kou… It’s your turn!

Since we’re fighting him on his own, Yi Beu Kou serves as something of a miniboss right before Odi. He has 480 HP and can petrify you if you stand diagonal to him, though not at close range.

He’s much more likely to just take away all your hand techs for a while.

Not that Li really cares about such things. :mmmhmm:

(Rest-of-update video here!)

(Music stops.)

Alright, now we just have to…

Oh, hi there.

Hahahahaha! Meet Sou Xiu and Man Xiu! They have mastered the An Sha Quan, a type of assassination Kung Fu. They could even kill me! As such, I am always focused, and can never relax! This is the only way…

Ah yes, the incredibly powerful force of constant paranoia.

(... Li… I’ll take these two by myself… Lee is all yours!)

(...B-by myself?)

(He’s trying to tire us out… I’m not as young as I once was. I’ve lost my endurance.)

-------

http://i.imgur.com/67OTsNX.gifv

We actually flashback through the entire demonstration here, this time without sound.

-------

You…? YOU…!? Hah… even the great Master can’t beat old age, hmm? Hmhmhm… hahahahah! Bwahahahaha!!

Hah… Foolish child…

Haaaa…

WuTang’s final technique…

A pointless gesture!

-------

:getin: Li gets a one-time use of her ultimate technique here, and it’s just as fantastic as you’d expect. Odi Wang Lee has 688 HP, so that took off over a third of his health.

Odi has a few nasty tricks up his sleeve, so feel free to go nuts with your healing items.

Li has a relatively easy time of this fight, honestly. She hits like a truck and can take a few hits without needing to heal.

In the end, she flip-kicks off Odi’s kidney to set up the finisher.

-------

(Music stops.)

And here we go…

Kicking a dude across the room, through a throne, into a gong. In slow motion. :iia:

You became… even… stronger…

... I believe you could properly pass my skills down through future generations…

Wha!? Y-yeah, as if!

No… I’ve lived long. Maybe too long. Your growth has helped me keep going this far… Li… Your heart is as warm as the sun… Never ever lose that…

... … Okay…

Now… I’ll go deliver the message…

(Music stops.)

-------

The credits begin, but we have one small scene left.

Finally I managed to bust this rock. Could I be like you some day, gramps? Someday…

And you, you old bastard! Because I’m the…

-------

And so Li continues her training in the noble art of WuTang Kung Fu.

She tries to help out the townsfolk, as her mentor once did.

Remembering well the time they shared.

And so another story comes to an end.

-------

With three chapters now completed, we must once again decide on our next destination. Plan Convergence would lead to Akira’s Mecha chapter next; are we sticking with that, or going elsewhere? And don’t forget about names!

Oh, and expect the Yuan/Sammo bonus update sometime soon.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 11, 2016

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mecha and default names.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I never noticed the third tombstone in the ending before.

Yes Mecha, name him Simon

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If I could draw I'd be doing detailed fanart of the :iia: scene right the gently caress now. :allears:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
do ninja next and save mecha for last

also hall of mirrors would actually make a pretty badass name for a martial arts move

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Gotta go with Ninja, Mecha feels like it should be saved for last.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Looper posted:

do ninja next and save mecha for last
In case this wins, I'm sure you remember my name vote. :v:

quote:

also hall of mirrors would actually make a pretty badass name for a martial arts move
Speaking of, I'm pretty sure it's another Warframe joke. :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The final move will always be SENGAZANKEN! to me.
Because that's how it was transliterated in the previous translation :v:
But that's why all three disciples are viable, the Final Move is instant, has no drawbacks, and for the most part is statless. I want to say it's damage is based strictly on level. It's pretty much the best single target tech in the game. Everything stronger has a particular drawback.

ShuiNiaoJiao is also Li's main 'better than inherited Martial Arts' move, since even with it's charge time she's fast enough to get it off almost immediately.

Mecha next, sticking with my Default Names vote too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bellmaker posted:

This works.

Also rip Master, you died as you lived, as a massive badass.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Is the Game Over sequence/screen for the Inheritance chapter interesting enough to be showcased eventually?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Mecha next, and our inevitable robot pilot is clearly a Simon.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Mecha Simon is oddly fitting.

mecha is also probably the only chapter i dislike.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Roobanguy posted:

Mecha Simon is oddly fitting.

It is a reference to the anime Gurren Langan (not looking at how its spelled so I probably horribly botched that)
I'm voting mecha but going with a different anime reference of Shinji.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Bellmaker posted:

Let's do the Giga-Drill Break

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Bellmaker posted:

What a good chapter, what a good ending.

It's funny that it's off to the side - since there's an empty spot where presumably Li would've gone right between the other two. Maybe she wants to be buried there herself one day?

I have no severe opinions on what's next but definitely Simon when we do.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
simon and mecha

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Literally any chapter but Mecha.

Look, just trust me, you'll enjoy it more that way.

Also, Eevee, will you be showing off Sammo's version of the scene in Odi's school?

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Mecha is my least favorite so let's just shuffle on past it. And just name the guy Steve, it's all he deserves.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Mecha is my least favorite so let's just shuffle on past it. And just name the guy Steve, it's all he deserves.

Okay see this is wrong and has nothing at all to do with why I'm saying to save it for last. There's just some payoff in that chapter that only works if we've been through at least Ninja and Cowboy beforehand.

(As usual, if you're not familiar with LAL definitely don't read this next bit.)

I mean yeah the writing is pretty iffy in that chapter and it just kinda dumps the whole plot on you all at once with no real explanation of anything, but everything is also rad as hell so it balances out and the Watanabe subplot is a pretty brilliant turn if Mecha's played close to last, turning what had been a goofy running joke into something legitimately tragic and providing possibly the biggest emotional impact of the chapter, simply because you weren't expecting the Watanabe gag to go dark like that, and they're the only "character" that persists between chapters.

Also c'mon man everyone knows that Steve is a girl's name. :colbert:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'll vote for Ninja and suggest we call him Clyde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Formally throwing my vote behind Ninja.

• Locked thread