Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I remember playing a lot of this back in the day. I think I even still remember the cheese strats for... well, we'll get to those in due time.

Anyways, let's go with kungfu, if only for the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Yapping Eevee posted:

If I should happen to miss any good strategies that you remember, please do let me know. :)

I probably shouldn't say strategies, as that implies that they have more than one or two steps. It's more that I recall that a couple of otherwise tough optional fights that people always used to complain about are vulnerable to hilariously stupid things that pretty much trivialize them.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
While I imagine you grinded to 16 to show off Ayla/Pogo's moves, your accuracy is high enough to get a reliable stunlock with the vine move starting at... 13, I think? Also helps if you can manage to somehow disable Gori so Pogo can get more turns in, relative to the mammoth.

It's grindy, but it's not that grindy.

Unoriginal One fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 22, 2016

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Rather late, but there are a fair number of official remixes for Live A Live scattered around Square's compilation albums, both from the assorted SQs and the Yoko Shimomura collections.

Seeing as Caveman's out of the way...

KISS OF JEALOUSY - MEMÓRIA!

KISS OF JEALOUSY (Karaoke) - MEMÓRIA! For those who would rather go without vocals.

And, while I'm at it, a few samples of MEGALOMANIA, also from the same album.

MEGALOMANIA - MEMÓRIA!

MEGALOMANIA (Karaoke) - MEMÓRIA!

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

You wouldn't happen to have lyrics to those hidden around, would you? If you can provide the Japanese, I can probably get a decent translation going. Google has turned up exactly nothing.

Nope, sorry.

inthesto posted:

Huh, I didn't know there was another Best of Yoko Shimomura album out.

Her previous one, drammatica, has another Live-a-Live track on it, but I'll refrain from posting it until we get to that chapter (and incidentally, it's probably my favorite track in the entire game).

Apparently, Megalomania served as the inspiration for Toby Fox's Megalovania, as if the name didn't give it away.

I know the one you're talking about, and it's roughly tied for first with Megalomania in my books. I'd have posted it too, but I'm waiting for chapters to finish before dredging through the various albums that I know of(which for this chapter is just the Xmas mix, which someone already posted). For general themes and more Megalomania mixes, I'll probably toss a few in with the chapter specific tracks to space them out.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I was going to link the drammatica track, but it seems someone's beaten me to it~

If you've been following along but haven't been hitting the music links, go back and hit those right now. Bird Flies, Fish Swims is one of the best tracks in the game and the drammatica version is excellent as well.

Think I'll refrain from the voting this time around, but I feel like making a few notes while I'm here. Vague but still potential spoilers for later, so I'll tag where appropriate to be safe.

Lin: Obviously focused on speed, and her other stats aren't bad either. Still a bit on the squishy side as her HP isn't all that great.

Yuan: His HP will always be abysmal, but the rest of his stats end up so high he's actually not too bad off on that front in spite of it. And by "high", I mean he slams headlong into the stat cap for everything but HP. Takes hits better than Li even with her HP edge.

Sammo: Never actually picked him. Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son. I have heard he can use gear the other two can't, but that's not helping him much. Sammo's problems are that, not only are the other two successors strictly better than him in almost every area, the one thing he is good at he's hopelessly outclassed at by certain other character. So there's really never a reason to go for him outside of novelty.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Time for more official remixes~

Turns out there was another remix from this chapter, it just took some doing to find it.

Battle SQ: War in China/Bird Flies, Fish Swims

(There are a couple more LaL mixes on the album, but one's from a chapter we haven't hit yet and the other's a megamix. There's also hardly any uploads from this one, so tracking them down might be a bit of a pain.)

That out of the way, a couple of non-chapter-specific themes:

More SQ: MEGALOMANIA

Chill SQ: WARM A LIVE

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

inthesto posted:

Huh, I totally missed Battle SQ somehow.

Not really a fan of any of these remixes, sadly. I like that they tried something wildly different from Megalomania, but really the original is just so fantastic.

The SQs tend to be on the hit-or-miss side.

Edit: Also, expect more MEGALOMANIA. It's easily the most used track.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also it's impossible to do some of this chapter's content in a stealth run (that fish :argh: )

Remember when I said that some of the harder bosses have hilariously stupid weaknesses?

If I recall correctly, this one is exceptionally stupid.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I'm going to make a small note that, as you may have noticed in the update, at least one of Sonic's attacks forces the enemy to change which way they're facing. While this may not seem like much, it takes an enemy time to change which way they're facing, and some enemies can't attack from certain angles. So if Sonic is fighting alone for whatever reason, he could conceivably sit in an enemy's blind spot and spin-lock them to death.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
An additional note for pacifist runs, one of the fire based traps in the attic can use one of Sonic's higher-end fire skills. If you're willing to grind enough so that you can actually take a hit from it and survive, you'll pick the skill up yourself for a rather large -and much needed- boost in power.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I might be misremembering, as it's been quite a long time, but best as I can recall one of those bosses(I'm pretty sure it's the fish, but it could be the other one), has a weakness for getting spin-locked; as you'll be running around alone for a good chunk of the pacifist run, it's also the only time you can really take advantage of it

Took another look around the listing for official mixes, couldn't find anything specific for this chapter. Also, looking things over, there really isn't all that much left to drop; a piece or so each for the rest of the remaining chapters and some medleys.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Well, I was going to do a bit of catching up,, but it seems that most of Battle SQ and Beer SQ aren't uploaded, so I'll have to give the last couple of chapters a pass.

That said there's still... Well, I'll just leave this here.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Eevee's choice.

I was about to vote for Andre, but that's who I usually pick for this.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
A note on the TotA bit: There's a scene near the beginning of the game where you get the sorcerer's ring and the fuzzy mascot it's stuck to, who will obligingly breathe fire when commanded. When called out on playing around with it in the middle of the forest, Luke claims that it wouldn't be his fault if the forest burned down, it'd be the fuzzy thing doing the fire breathing due to it being the source of the flames. The scene mentioned earlier is Luke suddenly finding himself on the other end of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Andre/Masaru's dungeon is well worth it to go to the moment you're strong enough to get in, his weapon is is that good. While magic damage can still be an issue due to his non-existent IQ growth, physical attacks won't do much more than tickle him now.

• Locked thread