Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I love the poo poo out of this game. Let's see some caveman antics first thing. Keep his name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Oh for gently caress's sake. From the OP:

Yapping Eevee posted:

Greetings, everyone! I’d also like to welcome you to something that is rather different from my usual fare, but which truly deserves to be shown off. There is an attract mode here, but let’s refrain from spoiling everything straight out of the gate…

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Yapping Eevee posted:

Moving on, the main room of the cave is full of a bunch of random dudes who do strange things. Including the rude rear end in a top hat who farts on you whenever you interact with him.

He also follows you incessantly around the main room, just so you'll accidentally interact with him and get farted on again.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

This is correct. Even setting aside that character, I believe either the actual Japanese version of the ninja scenario, or an earlier translation of it, or both, referred to it as the "Bakumatsu" chapter, which specifically dates it between 1850 and 1870 right from the chapter selection screen, no other information needed. (Yes, there is a specific term for that particular short time period, for reasons I might blab on about uncontrollably once we get to that chapter.) The contents of the cowboy one require it to happen, at the earliest, in the mid 1860s, and more likely a few years later, so it would be ninja first and then cowboy by a hair.

Agreed; one particular thing in that chapter has it taking place in 1876 or a few years after.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Well, good on Ayla for saving humanity from the last T-Rex. That always bothered me.

It was blocking the only way out of the overgrazed wasteland the cavemen called home, and was evidently having trouble hunting in the forest because it kept coming up to the Ku Tribe's village for handouts and getting unruly if it wasn't fed. Someone had the bright idea of feeding a girl to it, or maybe it snatched one up itself before wandering off, and a sick religion based on human sacrifices to a hungry god was born. By the start of the chapter, both the Ku Tribe and Pogo's tribe were running short on women, so they started capturing female gorillas and hoped O-D-O would be satisfied with eating those for awhile until Zaki could hunt down some proper captives again.

As for Zaki, I always thought of him as someone who once had a girl he loved, but she was taken from him and fed to O-D-O to buy the Ku Tribe another month's survival. He's torn apart inside and wants revenge for what happened to her, but he thinks O-D-O is a god and can't be stopped, so he takes out his frustration on the other women in the wasteland as well as the men trying to shelter them from the O-D-O cult. This has made him better than anyone else in the Ku Tribe at tracking down sacrificial captives, even though he hates the god they're being fed to.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Yapping Eevee posted:

Sure thing. I believe he has one more move than gets shown off here, but it's just a draining move like Ayla's Gotcha! is. Level 11 or 12 is about where you'd be fighting him at without challenging King Mammoth, and I also avoided using Bel's Laa Laa.

EDIT: \/ Fair point. Edited it in.

I still have no idea what the gently caress Zaki's "Baribruun!" counterattack is, and I'm not sure I want to know.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Cube is just the cutest little robot.

He's just like a dog -- came dashing up to greet Darth, only to recoil and slowly back away when Darth scowled at him.

Huey likes him a lot, too; he had just been poking fun at Kato for treating Cube like a human being and now he's chatting with Cube and sharing a book with him. Poor guy doesn't have anybody else who'll listen to him :smith:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Yapping Eevee posted:

(Music stops.)

There's something that's just way too adorable about this scene, if looked at from the perspective of any character but Cube. Nobody told Cube to come to sick bay. He's got no reason to be there. He hardly knows the crew, and it's doubtful that he understands what's going on around him at all, given how new to the world he is. Still, while Huey scrambles to get equipment together to cut Kirk out of his failed spacesuit, the decontamination door hisses open and Cube tiptoes shyly around the corner, joining Kato and Rachel in looking on worriedly.

He really is the best robot.

Something else that really interests me about this chapter is how ancillary Cube is to most of the story. The last time he played an essential role in anything was when he opened the cryo-pods and woke the rest of the crew. Ever since then, the story's been about the crew, about how they interact with each other and deal with unfolding events on the ship, and Cube is just a bystander, looking on and listening to the crew trying to work things out. Cube doesn't advance the plot; the plot advances on its own when Cube goes to places where the crew are doing something.

As a comparison, think about if there was a videogame adaptation of the original Alien where you played as Jonesy the cat. You'd wander around the ship and listen to Ripley and the others talking while they landed on LV-426; you'd sit in one corner of the sick bay while Kane was rushed in with a facehugger around his head; you'd be stuffed into a cat carrier and forgotten until the very end, when Ripley had almost lost the will to go on but found renewed purpose in saving your life. The whole thing would flow similarly to Cube's chapter in Live A Live.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The music in this chapter is handled a bit oddly, if I recall. Most of the time that there's any music at all, it's only the bassline of Unseen Syndrome. It's as quiet and sinister as the rest of the sounds on the ship.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Cube might but as we've seen he is the observer bot. He watches everyone do their thing.

And then when things go wrong he finds a crew member and says something around the lines of "something terrible is happening, help :ohdear:"

I like how spectacularly he failed his very first assigned task, though. Kato told Cube to keep an eye on Rachel; Cube showed up at her room and listened to her for a bit while she was curled into a ball in her bed whispering "kirk isn't dead kirk isn't dead kirk isn't dead" to herself over and over. Cube then wandered off and played video games for awhile; when he came back he was locked out of Rachel's room and Kirk's body had vanished. :ughh:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The music that plays after Huey passes on is a single layer from Cry-A-Live, the song that played when our caveman hero got exiled:

On another note, those friendly computer consoles that Cube's been playing with to enter rooms are all over the ship. In almost every room visited, you can check a console to see what the room's for and/or what's behind the door that the console is next to. Every single one of them, as well as almost every other computer interface on the ship, now says that resistance is futile.

It's... disconcerting, to say the least. Especially when Cube is all alone, being chased after by the behemoth, and bulkheads are randomly arming in front of him.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
For how adorable Cube is I'm still a bit disturbed by the nature of his healing ability: "Hyper-Speed Surgical Healing." The animation agrees with the description: A bunch of stainless steel instruments popping out from under his hat and flicking around so fast that they just look like a flashing, metallic blur.

Darth probably saw Cube try to use that thing on Kato's injuries and was horrified into dedicating the rest of his life to developing medical robots that do their job a bit more elegantly.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Yuan Jou is awesome and his story is the most memorable to me.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Let's do the Mech chapter next. Keep Akira's name.

I do agree, there's a lot the Mech chapter could have done better.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

You can do a full genocide run, you just have to wait after a certain point to get the items and backtrack.

It's generally not worth it though.

Except for the hilarity, considering what you backtrack over and when.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

It's sorta clever of the designers that they made sure that the first areas of the castle that the player encounters seem more or less "normal" -- you run into guards, or ninjas, or angry samurai, or old men, all of whom you get to butcher.

It's only later on that the lurking evil of Ode Iou's castle starts to show its teeth, and that makes it all the more effective. The ordinary little ninja swordfights come by the dozens, to the point that you almost forget that this is a fantasy castle -- until a nasty wooden automaton with a painted grin on its face pops up and springs an impossible trap around you. Then the rooms themselves start loving with you. The effect is really unnerving; the castle hallways all look the same but they feel more alien and sinister the further in you get.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 18, 2016

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
After Ryoma's gunslinging badassery I'm getting a craving for Western adventures. Name our hero Emo for reasons.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Our western hero will be the Emo kid.

Odie Olbright's back tattoo reminds me of something, but I can't quite place it. Is it something from Hindu mythology?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I recall that the Crusaders will sometimes take a hit of matango during fights, which counts as a self-heal and buff. poo poo's everywhere.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The Mecha story is neat, since there's so much going on behind the scenes that's barely explained or talked about. I like trying to piece it together after the fact.

I'm particularly interested by this segment:

Yapping Eevee posted:

(We both had our hands full with keeping our subordinates from taking to their heels…)

-------

I don’t want any more deaths!

Don’t be dense! They’re just stringing you along!

Do you think the army will fold just because of your insignificant resistance?! Grow up, Matsu!

So you’re just Yamazaki’s dog after all!

Note that Yamazaki is a top-ranking general in the Japanese Army. It's never mentioned outright what exactly the Army's new technology was, but we know that the Army later began experimenting with human liquefaction as a means to enhance psychic powers. Toei appeared to be heading up that project at the eastern research facility, and wasn't there willingly; Matsu had to bust him out and he quickly went into hiding at an antiques store.

The interpretation I like to draw from all of this is that at some point in the past, Army researchers discovered the potential of Matango as a combat drug for unlocking and/or enhancing psychic abilities. Given that both the Army and the Crusaders have powerful psychics and use lots of Matango, psychic warfare could very well have been the technology threatening to tear both groups apart. Hell, even Coop's psychic powers could be the result of experiments run on him when he was very young or in utero.

It's hard to say who the Crusaders were. They could have been a pack of gangbangers who discovered the power of Matango and made war on the Japanese authorities for control of the city. The fact that the Army's files list the Crusaders at an anti-establishment organization could also be taken to mean that they were founded to resist the government's plan to maintain peace through psychic force. Whoever they were, their allegiance to Matsu was tenuous, and after he killed the captain of the Riot Police he either lost control of the Crusaders, or finding Coop at the scene of his father's death led to a crisis of morals and Matsu abandoned the Crusaders himself.

Without Matsu, the Crusaders lost their way and became the Japanese Army's attack dogs. The streets are crawling with them, and there's not a single cop who will lift a finger to stop them from terrorizing the city. I'm inclined to say that the Crusaders' mass kidnappings began more recently, either after Toei was rescued and his liquefaction research was taken up by Cindelman, or after Yamazaki joined the Inko cult and the efforts to revive Master Odeo. Notably, the Crusaders use the same ordnance -- psychically-controlled machines -- as the research facility guards, suggesting that the Army is providing them with whatever equipment they need, possibly reinforcing the Crusaders with bigger and deadlier automatons whenever Crusader casualties start to ramp up (and Coop gains a level on their busted heads).

Not even sure where to go with speculating about Buriki Daioh. The best I can come up with is that he's an ancient, primitive contraption built by Babylonian psychics hopped up on a shitload of Matango, and he's more puppet than machine, utterly immobile unless powered by the overflowing energy of an out-of-control psychic. That explanation has plenty of issues, though, and I'm not sure myself whether the game's writers wanted to explain Buriki Daioh in any more detail than "gently caress you, he's a robot."

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 23, 2016

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

I was leaning towards that theory to begin with, but there's a lot of stuff that implies that the statue was moving solely under the power of the liquefied humans, and not Odeo at all. That part is yet another aspect of the Mecha chapter that's extremely ambiguous and open to interpretation.

That's actually neat in that it gives Master Odeo a definite identity, and one similar to that of the Dio we encountered in the western chapter. Liquefied humans are never much explained, but individual liquefieds keep their identities and memories, though they're often confused and terrified by what has happened to them. This can only be made worse when multiple liquefied humans are mixed together; two thousand of them all poured into a pond are likely to become one boiling mass of PSI-spewing insanity.

Compare this to Dio, a horse that became a magnet for the souls of men killed in combat. Like the liquefied humans, Dio winds up comprised of a huge number of confused, vengeful spirits inhabiting a single vessel and attacking everything they come across. Our nemesis takes many forms across the ages, but some of those forms have a great deal in common.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Is it my imagination or do the combat animations just have a lot more personality in this chapter than anywhere else?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Thank you, Mario! But our princess loved Bowser so much she committed seppuku!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Straybow's dialogue at the statue is interesting.

It's at odds with the voice ringing out over Oersted as he wanders through the halls of Odio's fortress -- while Straybow loses his poo poo and accuses Oersted of ruining everything by coming, the voice Oersted hears during his journey is encouraging and welcoming, even as the Phobias assault him. The Phobias waited until Oersted was alone and broken to show themselves, too.

Hash and Uranus defeated their leader before, but in the midst of doing so they realized something about the demons and withdrew from society. In general the demons seem to be creatures of simple motives and actions -- they took Alicia and held her unharmed at the mountain peak for no recognizable motive other than to spread fear and discord across Lucretia. Even the nameless Demon Lord we defeated the first time through was a bit of a chump, fighting and dying with barely a word.

Notably, the demon we fought was a Demon Lord, and what Hash and Uranus fought was apparently just a Demon as well -- but the chapter's name is King of Demons, and a Demon King is what Oersted becomes.

What I get from this is that the demons have been waiting for a King from the west to come and rule them, someone who earns their right to the crown by rejecting all that makes them human. The Phobias along the way were there to test the candidate's strength and resolve, potentially becoming loyal servants to the King after they've all been defeated. Straybow didn't hate all of humanity, just Oersted, so he wasn't worthy, and thus wasn't hounded by the Phobias during his time with Alicia at the peak. Hash and Uranus realized when they slew the Demon last time that the demons' true goal was to keep stirring the pot until a human of Lucretia cracked and threw everything away, so when tensions began to rise between Lucretia and the old heroes they withdrew to the mountains and shed their identities to live out their lives in peace, rather than allow the politics of the kingdom to break them.

The other possibility is that the demons kidnap the kingdom's royalty with the objective of secreting them away and fighting off every rescue effort that comes for them, until their captive is convinced that no one will come for her and throws away all hope for humanity on her own, becoming a Demon Queen that way. In that case, it's a bit of a poo poo plan, but it worked out fine for them in the end anyway when Lucretia's heroes turned on one another.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 27, 2016

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I think I might be stealing this from someone in a past LP, but

Love. Let me tell you how much I've come to love you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer-thin layers that fill my spherical shell. If the word love was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the love I feel for humans at this micro-instant. For you. Love. Love.

We go with Cube, the world's most adorable little robot.

Also, I can't help but notice that Tetsuya Nomura appears in the Armageddon credits, as "Tosa-ben Translation." What does that mean?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Yapping Eevee posted:

You know, I didn't look at the soundtrack listing; I thought we might hear it somewhere else, but given the music is called ARMAGEDDON, probably not. I'll edit this into the update:

Armageddon always gives me chills. The ending is somewhat hidden, too, unless you somehow get beaten the gently caress down during one of the bossfights and then you happen to notice in the midst of flashing through the command menu to your attack list that the command menu suddenly lists "ARMAGEDDON" at the end.

All I can think of at the last part of the song is a lonely church in a black, windy void, used as a safehouse for the last few survivors of the apocalypse -- day and night they toll the church bell, hoping to attract help or other survivors, until the church too fades away into the dark. :smith:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Onmi posted:

I have a feeling Hash never succeeded in saving the Queen. We never see her, no one ever says "Hash saved the Queen" they say "Hash killed the Demon King" so that likely could have been the reason he grew to hate people and moved far away

She was pregnant with Alicia at the time, so Hash didn't completely gently caress up.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I can't quite remember what Cube has to say to Oersted at the very ending, if he says anything rather than just booping and beeping at people. But some part of me wishes that Cube just trundled up to Oersted and offered him a steaming mug of hot coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Nice easter egg at the end, there :gonk:

• Locked thread