Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Hav posted:

You need to partition it for dual boot, but it works pretty well.

yeah other then some driver issues here and there with some games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

The Kins posted:

The seemingly-inevitable switch to ARM, at least on laptops, won't help much either.

And ditching OpenGL, but going for Metal instead of Vulkan

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Escape Goat posted:

And ditching OpenGL, but going for Metal instead of Vulkan
That can at least be sandpapered over with MoltenVK on the development side.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Also, Vulkan came out literally years after Metal so it's hard to blame them too much for that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0002-CUSA05969_00-CODWWIIGAMEIGC01

free right now

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

This is only free with PS+

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Prime-havers: Twitch Prime just got a pack of... Neo-Geo games. Huh. Available until January 1st:
The King of Fighters 2002
Samurai Shodown II
Blazing Star
Pulstar
Art of Fighting 2
Fatal Fury Special
The King of Fighters 2000

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Yea, SNK is doing a thing so there'll be 22 games on Twitch Prime this year

https://twitter.com/siliconera/status/1263847588333260805

"A few of the upcoming games were also teased. There will be big names like The King of Fighters ’98 Ultimate Match Final Edition, The Last Blade 2, and Metal Slug 2. There are also games that might be slightly deeper cuts, like Garou: Mark of the Wolves, King of the Monsters, and Sengoku 3. Actual dates for the next two SNK game release clusters haven’t been revealed yet."

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Samuringa posted:

King of the Monsters,

and suddenly I am glad to have twitch prime. I probably wasted over a thousand dollars on this arcade machine over 5 years or so as a kid/teenager because the pizza place down the street had it.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

The Kins posted:

That can at least be sandpapered over with MoltenVK on the development side.

I mean sure. And for people developing in Unity you’ll probably not even know or care. But overall it’s just another thing where Apple aggressively is removing older compatibility and it means older/abanoned titles will probably cease to work at some point.

(Not saying it’s a bad business move but it sucks for games!)

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
SNK have generally made their older games available on every platform and they've had a bunch of games free on previous Twitch Plus iterations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
More free SNK stuff incoming: Samurai Shodown NeoGeo Collection, which collects and applies online play to the first five games in the esteemed fighting game series (plus some variants, one of which never officially existed up until a couple of hours ago) will be debuting on Epic as a freebie for a week before appearing on other stores and consoles as a thing you pay money for.

https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/1265454348466745344

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
posting here in case anyone has a solution:

EGS is down and I can't even launch GTA manually via .exe.

is there somewhere else I can launch the game and skip the online stuff entirely?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Bottom Liner posted:

posting here in case anyone has a solution:

EGS is down and I can't even launch GTA manually via .exe.

is there somewhere else I can launch the game and skip the online stuff entirely?

I think you might be able to do it through the Rockstar launcher. I'm not sure if you can use it if you own it through Epic Games Store though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah that was the rockstar launcher. I’m just going to download a loving crack and put it on my edge and tell the online stuff to take a hike.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Yea, SNK is doing a thing so there'll be 22 games on Twitch Prime this year

https://twitter.com/siliconera/status/1263847588333260805

"A few of the upcoming games were also teased. There will be big names like The King of Fighters ’98 Ultimate Match Final Edition, The Last Blade 2, and Metal Slug 2. There are also games that might be slightly deeper cuts, like Garou: Mark of the Wolves, King of the Monsters, and Sengoku 3. Actual dates for the next two SNK game release clusters haven’t been revealed yet."

Is this gonna be like the Humble Bundle releases where it's just roms in a wrapper and they can be extracted and put into better programs.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The Samurai Shodown pack at least seems to be a new compilation, with the release of Samurai Shodown V Perfect, the unreleased update to Samurai Shodown V Special that was pulled during its first ever location test. It might still be ROMs in an emulator, but there's at least one new product.

Was being talked about in the Fighting Game Thread

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

FanaticalMilk posted:

Is this gonna be like the Humble Bundle releases where it's just roms in a wrapper and they can be extracted and put into better programs.

Its always funny when those roms then contain references to the pirate group or :filez:-site that originally released them
For example
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-18-did-nintendo-download-a-mario-rom-and-sell-it-back-to-us

Tamba fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 27, 2020

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Tamba posted:

Its always funny when those roms then contain references to the pirate group or :filez:-site that originally released them
For example
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-18-did-nintendo-download-a-mario-rom-and-sell-it-back-to-us

I thought this was somewhat disproven at least with the original Virtual Console being .nes files. I wanna say the creator of the .nes file format came out and said something like, "Yes, they use the .nes file format because I'm working for them and did work on the virtual console"

Again, this is probably a 2 year old memory at this point so I may be getting some points wrong.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In accordance with the leak, seems like Borderlands Handsome Collection is next on the EGS

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1265792235984916481?s=20

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1260773392216543232?s=20

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's from two weeks ago and was just rumor with nothing backing it up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And the Witcher rumor isn't part of the same leak as Handsome Collection.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FanaticalMilk posted:

I thought this was somewhat disproven at least with the original Virtual Console being .nes files. I wanna say the creator of the .nes file format came out and said something like, "Yes, they use the .nes file format because I'm working for them and did work on the virtual console"

Again, this is probably a 2 year old memory at this point so I may be getting some points wrong.
One of the people responsible for the INES file format worked for Nintendo at some point, yes. They did the Animal Crossing NES emulator on the N64 and I think some other stuff like the GBA BIOS.

Actual preservation people have looked into things and came to the conclusion that Nintendo's Virtual Console releases all seem to be their own dumps from their own master copies - this is more apparent on the Famicom Disk System games since there's no user data written to the disk image, it's "pure".

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Something called Sludge Life is free on the Epic Store. You can now start arguing about Epic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Something called Sludge Life is free on the Epic Store. You can now start arguing about Epic.

A review in screenshots:

to be clear, I’ve never played this game, but that’s games journalism!!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

huh, this looked pretty interesting when it was announced

making new games free at launch is certainly something. hope Epic is paying the devs handsomely

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The art style feels very Jet Set Radio

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also free on Epic this week: Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, exactly one day before its retail Switch release.

Elsewhere, you can sign up to Bethesda's Arkane Outsiders mailing list before the month's out to get a Bethesda Launcher copy of Arx Fatalis and a digital art book.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Kins posted:

Also free on Epic this week: Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, exactly one day before its retail Switch release.

lol yet again the Epic store is down so I can't either get this or play the games I already have.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

The store page says the sale ends 5/28/2021 at 8:00 AM, so is it just going to be free for an entire year, or is it being taken off the store in a year, or what?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Despite the "leaks" saying Spiderman next month on PS+ is Cod WWII and Star Wars Battlefront 2

Going the complete opposite direction of the chills sim games of this month.

Is BF2 still a lootbox hellhole?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

The Kins posted:

I now have my first free Epic game I'll never play.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
eh, wrong thread

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

OgNar posted:

eh, wrong thread

Oh!... Oh... well, I grabbed this, kind sir. I certainly appreciate it! I also forgot what thread I was in.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Oh!... Oh... well, I grabbed this, kind sir. I certainly appreciate it! I also forgot what thread I was in.

I meant it for the Steam thread, all good, no matter who takes it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Jeez, these Twitch Prime things are scattered around this month. New one that dropped yesterday is Max: The Curse of Brotherhood.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

You can pre-purchase a free copy of Trackmania on Epic right now!

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Ugh, pretty sure I had all Gold medals in Nations at some point. Not sure how I feel about falling down that rabbit hole again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
United is my favorite racing game of all time so the subscription model on their new one makes me wary.