Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I think you mean the sequel to Dad of Boruto is Son of Naruto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
My son is also named Boruto.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i will never stop laughing that the sequel to naruto is (apparently) "boruto"
:same: :same: :same:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Waffleman_ posted:

This very technically counts, but with the release of the newest patch in August, the free trial of Final Fantasy XIV will include the entirety of the base game and the first expansion with no time limit.

In other MMO news, Black Desert Online is giving a (permanent) free copy of the base game to anyone who reaches level 50 on a free trial account: https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/4167
(Normally a copy costs :10bux:, but it has a lotta cash shop stuff that makes it basically feel like you're playing a korean f2p game)

Does this count for this thread?

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

maybe, but their emailer is backlogged so it won't took a while to send my verification email

it's definitely "here's a free trial but if you manage to play enough to a certain point you just get to have the basic game forever! we'll acknowledge that it's technically possible in the terms. Good luck!"

not sure if that's actually free, it doesn't seem likely that BDO is running purely off of purchases of the base game

also uh the launcher screams "korean f2p game" and it's made in korea and it's f2p in some parts of the world

FFT fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 23, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tacoma and Next Up Hero are free on EGS this week

Next week is 20XX, Barony and Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They've fully fallen into the pattern of giving away stuff that's been free dozens of times already huh. Though 20XX is a drat good game (with its sequel coming out soon).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

FFT posted:

maybe, but their emailer is backlogged so it won't took a while to send my verification email

it's definitely "here's a free trial but if you manage to play enough to a certain point you just get to have the basic game forever! we'll acknowledge that it's technically possible in the terms. Good luck!"

not sure if that's actually free, it doesn't seem likely that BDO is running purely off of purchases of the base game

also uh the launcher screams "korean f2p game" and it's made in korea and it's f2p in some parts of the world

It's entirely a korean f2p game. I played a bit with friends and while its possible to play F2P, its painful enough that every time you try to do something, you'll end up saying to yourself "man, i wish i had premium".

Very well designed on the "extract money from players" front. I'm also a massive fan of their housing mechanic, which exists purely to let whales spent literally thousands of dollars stacking objects to the door of a house, just so you can get an incredibly minor bonus.

I'm not a fan

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 23, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

njsykora posted:

They've fully fallen into the pattern of giving away stuff that's been free dozens of times already huh. Though 20XX is a drat good game (with its sequel coming out soon).

They probably ran out of devs willing to have their game given away for free. Also, personally I don't mind because I missed a lot of these and didn't start claiming games until GTA5. What are some other big games they've given away in the past that might cycle through?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

njsykora posted:

Just means they've been sticking to giving away free games long enough that they have to cycle a bit!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Epic should give away control so more people will play it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

site posted:

I've been waiting for it to go on gamepass.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

site posted:

Well, its going to be on Steam soon, so I imagine that will be a huge sales boost.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I thought Superbrothers was super nifty until my iPhone broke and I never played again. Actually looking forward to that one. I'm also legit super enjoying Pathways from a few weeks back.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Donkringel posted:

Just means they've been sticking to giving away free games long enough that they have to cycle a bit!

They've kept it up waaaaay longer than I expected them to. It'll probably feel pretty weird if/when they ever stop giving games away each week.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
NeuroVoider has been added to this month's Twitch Prime

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Cuban Missile Crisis: Ice Crusade and Theatre of War are new Indiegala freebies.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Samuringa posted:

NeuroVoider has been added to this month's Twitch Prime

Great soundtrack on that one iirc.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Beneath a Steel Sky was made free on GOG and other places legally years ago, but now it's also on Steam if you lust for that serotonin hit that only adding another game to your miles-long backlog can bring you.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

People should do themselves a favour and actually play BaSS if they haven't; it's a wonderful point n click.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
And if you're wondering why they're doing that now, it looks like a sequel just came out

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The second wave of SNK games was added to Twitch Prime. They are:

- Baseball Stars 2
- Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
- Ironclad
- King of the Monsters
- Sengoku 3
- Metal Slug 2

and SNK 40th Anniversary Collection which includes:

Alpha Mission
Athena
Crystalis
Ikari Warriors
Ikari Warriors II: Victory Road
Ikari Warriors III: The Rescue
Guerrilla War
P.O.W.
Prehistoric Isle
Psycho Soldier
Street Smart
TNK III
Vanguard
Chopper I
Fantasy
Munch Mobile
Sasuke vs. Commander
Time Soldiers
Beast Busters
Bermuda Triangle
Ozma Wars
Paddle Mania
S.A.R.
World Wars

from the store page:

quote:

The Arcade Comes Home! – Save those quarters! Play both arcade and console versions and continuously challenge for another personal best! Choose from over twenty titles and experience an intense blast from the past!

Modern Meets Retro! – The convenience and improvements of modern gaming are all in the collection! Rewind and save at any time while you’re playing, enjoy updated graphics at 4K resolution, and experience redesigned control schemes for a modern feel!

Enter the SNK Museum – An extensive history of SNK and its games await in the Museum Mode. Explore the legacy of one of Japan’s leading developers with high definition artwork and never before seen promotional assets!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

THE BAR posted:

People should do themselves a favour and actually play BaSS if they haven't; it's a wonderful point n click.

I remember Beneath a Steel Sky having only a few "try loving everything because nothing sensible seems to work" bits, unlike most games of its type that had 40 000, so I concur. (Heck if I can remember what they were, it's been like 20 years since I played it, but I can remember quitting for a day or two more than once but not that often.)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It also has an excellent, grimy aesthetic to it. Everything feels run-down and fake, which makes the genuinely human elements the more remarkable.

Heck, some downright bastard characters still feel relatable, because you get to know how their normal routine lives are like.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

on the subject of old point and clicks, i'm a big fan of all of what you've got going on there

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I remember Beneath a Steel Sky having only a few "try loving everything because nothing sensible seems to work" bits, unlike most games of its type that had 40 000, so I concur. (Heck if I can remember what they were, it's been like 20 years since I played it, but I can remember quitting for a day or two more than once but not that often.)

It had some pixel hunting and some timed death segments but honestly why would anybody play a point-and-click adventure game from last century without just having the walkthrough at the ready anyways.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

there are a couple of death bits which sucks if you don't save often, but I guess it adds a bit of peril and drama at some key story moments

it's not like the Sierra thing of "haha you got into a taxi with some wine in your inventory UR DED AGAIN lol"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

It had some pixel hunting and some timed death segments but honestly why would anybody play a point-and-click adventure game from last century without just having the walkthrough at the ready anyways.

wät

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Does it let you get into unwinnable conditions like King’s Quest did? I couldn’t play KQ without a guide, I hate discovering that the way I overcame a puzzle 7 hours ago is the reason why I’m stuck now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dremcon posted:

Does it let you get into unwinnable conditions like King’s Quest did? I couldn’t play KQ without a guide, I hate discovering that the way I overcame a puzzle 7 hours ago is the reason why I’m stuck now.

Not intentionally at least, but there may be some hardware issues with modern computers that break it. I haven’t heard of any, but those are always a risk with old adventure games.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Not intentionally at least, but there may be some hardware issues with modern computers that break it. I haven’t heard of any, but those are always a risk with old adventure games.

It runs in Scummvm so that's a non-issue.

e: Scummvm is literally the only emulator* I would ever recommend anyone. If it runs in Scummvm and you don't have OG hardware, play it in Scummvm.

*) It's not an emulator I know

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 29, 2020

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

*) It's not an emulator I know
huh, apparently they're a bit irritable about that.

quote:

"ScummVM is not an emulator," confirms Eugene Sandulenko, current Project Lead. "It has been confused a number of times with one, and actually it does contain several, though mostly for sound cards. When it comes to the games though, we don't emulate the originals—we rewrite them. The pioneers, such as Ron Gilbert of Maniac Mansion, figured out that instead of writing their game logic in assembly or Pascal or whatever, they would create a separate language tailored to the game, and which would be easy enough even for the artists to make use of. SCUMM for instance has op-codes for moving an actor from Room A to Room B or around the screen, while the implementation also covers playing walking animations and so on—it's pretty high level. This then ran in a virtual machine so that it would play on multiple platforms without everything having to be reimplemented. ScummVM does that again, this time in C. Currently we have 64 supported engines and growing."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

so it emulates an emulator

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

3D Megadoodoo posted:

THE BAR posted:

It also has an excellent, grimy aesthetic to it. Everything feels run-down and fake, which makes the genuinely human elements the more remarkable.

Heck, some downright bastard characters still feel relatable, because you get to know how their normal routine lives are like.

FYI here's a good post about BASS:
https://www.filfre.net/2020/07/beneath-a-steel-sky/

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's weird to me that just a week or two ago the Sequel just came out. I wish the same thing could happen to Full Throttle, but that aint happening anytime ever

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

so it emulates an emulator

No, it reimplements (by way of reverse engineering) engines.

e: I know you were making a stupid joke. I don't care :evilbuddy:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

FFT posted:

on the subject of old point and clicks, i'm a big fan of all of what you've got going on there

:clint:

Dremcon posted:

There's one instance at the very end, where a save at the wrong time can cost you the game if you haven't saved earlier.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

THE BAR posted:

There's one instance at the very end, where a save at the wrong time can cost you the game if you haven't saved earlier.

Could you post in the ScummVM forum with details about this or open a ticket on the ScummVM bug tracker

The main script logic is part of the game's resource files (not of the engine itself) but I know that ScummVM has implemented workarounds for known bug and so we might be able to fix any other known ones, especially if they are game breaking.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

AbstractNapper posted:

Could you post in the ScummVM forum with details about this or open a ticket on the ScummVM bug tracker

The main script logic is part of the game's resource files (not of the engine itself) but I know that ScummVM has implemented workarounds for known bug and so we might be able to fix any other known ones, especially if they are game breaking.

It's not a bug, but there's a part where the ceiling is collapsing, but you won't necessarily know that until it happens, meaning you can save just as a rock's about to kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

THE BAR posted:

It's not a bug, but there's a part where the ceiling is collapsing, but you won't necessarily know that until it happens, meaning you can save just as a rock's about to kill you.

Would it make sense to disable saving until that particular sequence is concluded?