Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Hellpoint an actual RPG-looking RPG (edit - ah, a "Souls-like", that makes sense) that came out last year (!) but I've never heard about is free on GoG.

Nice! Been wanting to try this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Gaben seems to not know what "free" means.

EDIT: Or I guess they meant ended this morning, which is a dumb way to say it. Just say it ended June 13 then.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Xander77 posted:

Yeah... yeah, it's definitely that thing you said. Makes perfect sense.

Ah, there's an actual OMD3 coming out. Which is why 2 is free to play at the moment. Wishlisted.
OMD3 was released as a Stadia exclusive last July and the one-year exclusivity period is ending. If you sign up for a Stadia Pro trial you can claim and start playing OMD3 immediately with all of the usual caveats about Stadia and the power of the clown.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Fuzz posted:

Gaben seems to not know what "free" means.

EDIT: Or I guess they meant ended this morning, which is a dumb way to say it. Just say it ended June 13 then.

Check the first row of text, it clearly says game discount: posted 12 jun / ended 14 jun

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

SlowBloke posted:

Check the first row of text, it clearly says game discount: posted 12 jun / ended 14 jun

And see the date I posted on/my edit. It was the 14th, they just ended it at 12:01 AM instead of 11:59 PM which is dumb. Generally speaking you set the end date of a thing as the last day you can claim it, not the day after when it's already gone.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Fuzz posted:

And see the date I posted on/my edit. It was the 14th, they just ended it at 12:01 AM instead of 11:59 PM which is dumb. Generally speaking you set the end date of a thing as the last day you can claim it, not the day after when it's already gone.

Their shoutouts on Twitter and other channels said that the offer was valid only on the 12-13th which is coherent with the promo interval, it started on the first minute of the 12th and finished on the first minute of the 14th. Unless stated otherwise, announcements on steam are on midnight of the indicated date

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 15, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, Steam does that for big sales too and it’s incredibly stupid. How hard is it to put your times with your dates if your going to use “through the Xth” in a non-standard way?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Fuzz posted:

No, they end it at 10AM Pacific US. I agree it's annoying the way they do that, but it's not a one minute thing. It's the time all deals and offers flip on the store.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Absolute Drift is free on GOG!

Apparently we might get Sonic Mania and Horizon Chase Turbo later today on Epic too. Looking forward to that if true.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Overcooked 2 and Hell is Other Demons are free on EGS this week

Next week is Sonic Mania and Horizon Chase Turbo, as leaked

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dang, I've been wanting horizon chase turbo

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

JammyB posted:

Apparently we might get Sonic Mania and Horizon Chase Turbo later today on Epic too. Looking forward to that if true.

Looks like those are next week.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The original Operation Flashpoint, under the name ARMA: Cold War Assault, is free on Steam and GOG for 48 hours to celebrate the game's 20th anniversary.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sonic Mania and Horizon Chase Turbo are free on EGS this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_L8rBNedC0

The Spectrum Retreat next week

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1408410349649502208?s=20

The three HBS Shadowrun games are free on GOG

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Goddamn that's a steal

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
I played through the entire series back in December and had a good time. The first title is a bit rough around the edges, but the sequels are solid.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, Shadowrun Returns/Dead Man's Switch is alright but completely skippable. There's also a way to import it's campaign into Dragonfall's engine if you end up wanting to play it (if it's not already set up I dunno).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TGLT posted:

Yeah, Shadowrun Returns/Dead Man's Switch is alright but completely skippable.
It's a good tutorial, and the others assume you've played it.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 25, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Not in any story sense, and I don't think the other two campaigns are too hard to pick up as to require playing DMS. At least not all the way through. edit: Plus hacking changes a bunch between campaigns anyways so DMS isn't that helpful for that.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 25, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I downloaded Horizon Chase Turbo and then remembered why I didn't buy it after trying the demo. You just hold down the accelerate button and then hold left or right to turn and the game pretty much plays itself aside from avoiding some of the cars. I don't remember if the old top gear games were like this, but it's really simplistic.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cojawfee posted:

I downloaded Horizon Chase Turbo and then remembered why I didn't buy it after trying the demo. You just hold down the accelerate button and then hold left or right to turn and the game pretty much plays itself aside from avoiding some of the cars. I don't remember if the old top gear games were like this, but it's really simplistic.
You're missing "and press boost from time to time"

The game is simplistic, but not "drive itself" simplistic. Best way to think of it is as a not too hard puzzle game. As you unlock cars and upgrades you find what works for you and then in the races you figure out when to use boost and how to handle certain turns. The first two stages have piss easy tracks, but they get a bit more interesting after. It's never a hard game, but it does take some effort if you want to collect all the coins and win every race. The AI rubberbands a bit which is annoying, but never too bad.

If you want drifting and precision steering then it's not the game for you, but as a chill "choose wisely when you use boost and where to pass" racer it's fine.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It’s a mobile game ported to console and it shows. There’s not much too it and free is a good price.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Cojawfee posted:

As someone who lost years of my life playing Top Gear 3000 on the Super Nintendo, this has been an amazing nostalgia trip. It's great because it's simple, but there's still timing involved and I'm having a great time trying out different cars and getting the hang of passing cars. Definitely worth the price of free.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

not having played the game, i didn't want to dunk on that post, but "hold A and push left and right once in a while" made me think yep, that's a 1980s racing game

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'll have to dig out my SNES classic and check out the old racing games, to make sure, but were they that easy? Maybe I was just being too smart for my own good as a kid and letting off the gas to turn like you would with a real car. I don't remember if I was able to just hold A and turn without having to brake or let off or anything. I know I have to do that with the Nigel Mansell racing thing I have on my SNES classic, I'll have to check out Top Gear again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cojawfee posted:

I'll have to dig out my SNES classic and check out the old racing games, to make sure, but were they that easy? Maybe I was just being too smart for my own good as a kid and letting off the gas to turn like you would with a real car. I don't remember if I was able to just hold A and turn without having to brake or let off or anything. I know I have to do that with the Nigel Mansell racing thing I have on my SNES classic, I'll have to check out Top Gear again.

I wasn't ever any good at those games, but that's definitely how I played. I think it's not that it's easy when you can beat it by holding A and turning left or right, it's that you need to memorize the track if that's what you're doing.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If Yakuza 0 is accurate then Outrun was punishing as gently caress. Horizon is excessively forgiving unless you're trying to do everything in a single race

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Lutha Mahtin posted:

not having played the game, i didn't want to dunk on that post, but "hold A and push left and right once in a while" made me think yep, that's a 1980s racing game

If I could be playing Al Unser Jr's Turbo Racing right now, I would be.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

revtoiletduck posted:

I liked Super Sprint

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

revtoiletduck posted:

This post reminded me of al unser jr arcade racing for the PC, which I loved

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

~Coxy posted:

It is repeatable, though I do have to question how much effort it actually is to earn 6800 points a month every month.
I only get about 4000 points a month, but that's without ABS plugin.

I don't mean to start the Bing derail again, but I had the ABS firefox plugin running this month, and earned 7200 Microsoft funbux to keep my Game Pass PC sub rolling.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

It's very little effort, you can just make a couple folders with search bookmarks (searching the numbers 1-40 for example) that you open to get the searches done, and reddit has the quiz answers every day. Supposedly ABS can get you banned.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

ZombieApostate posted:

Supposedly ABS can get you banned.
What happen to your subscription when you are banned?

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

My impression was banned banned, like can't access your account at all, but I don't know for sure.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

You cant even download ABS anymore. I imagine it will break soon enough.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
I earned enough points but couldn't find the PC gamepass as a possible reward. Think they're clamping down on this game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The offer comes and goes

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

It was gone for... 3 weeks maybe? But it's back now if you still have those points. Apparently that happens once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Bioshuffle posted:

As someone who lost years of my life playing Top Gear 3000 on the Super Nintendo, this has been an amazing nostalgia trip. It's great because it's simple, but there's still timing involved and I'm having a great time trying out different cars and getting the hang of passing cars. Definitely worth the price of free.

There's a similar game which was also originally a mobile game called Agent Intercept. In that one you can boost, turn left and right (but can't really go off the track) and shoot various weapons. The car will also turn into a boat or a sled or what have you but the player has no control over that.

Challenge only really comes from meeting the star conditions so you can earn enough stars to unlock the final level of the chapter, for example finishing in a certain time, doing certain maneuvers, drifting a certain amount, killing a certain amount of enemies, etc..

It's not really a racing game at all, more like an endless runner that happens to feature car. But it's not bad.

Skwirl posted:

I wasn't ever any good at those games, but that's definitely how I played. I think it's not that it's easy when you can beat it by holding A and turning left or right, it's that you need to memorize the track if that's what you're doing.

Those old SNES racing games were way harder than these games were, no doubt. You could still get going too fast and go off, completely slowing you down so there was quite a lot of skill as well as track memorization going on.