Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
It probably helps in some indirect way, where someone ends up really enjoying the game and convinces their friends to buy it, or buys it as a gift for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Stick Insect posted:

It probably helps in some indirect way, where someone ends up really enjoying the game and convinces their friends to buy it, or buys it as a gift for them.
For some of the games, sales have already dried up and they're hoping that giving out the base game for free will ramp up sales for current or upcoming DLC.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
True, or a sequel to a game, we've seen that happen in this thread a few times.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I believe for Playstation Plus games the devs get paid based on how many people add the game to their library, so it's possible the Epic store works the same way.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
my understanding is that EGS basically pays a lump sum to use a game as a free promotion, due to the sale fiasco where publishers had to tell them that their game being presented at a certain price point has much longer reaching effects than epic took into account

this is a third-hand account though so don't take this as gospel.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The ambitious, if somewhat unfinished, 90s adventure game Toonstruck is free (and DRM-free) on GOG.com for the next 48 hours or so. Just scroll down the front page a bit until you find the button.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Enter the Gungeon is free on Epic Game Launcher right now which is pretty crazy since it's and absolutely amazing game and everyone should pick it up.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Enter the Gungeon is free on Epic Game Launcher right now which is pretty crazy since it's and absolutely amazing game and everyone should pick it up.

Unless, like me, you don't like bullethell games. Then it's a total skip.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
That sounds like pussy talk coming from someone unwilling to knock bullets back at enemies with a baseball bat

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Kheldarn posted:

Unless, like me, you don't like bullethell games. Then it's a total skip.

Or also, unless, like me, you don't like how slow and monotonous the game is.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The infamously-bad Too Human, which was removed from sale in 2013 following a copyright-infringement suit over plagarizing Unreal Engine 3 code, has been made available for free download on Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Somehow. Nobody's quite willing to discuss the legal machinations involved, beyond Epic permitting it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They aren't allowed to sell the game. Giving it for free isn't selling.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah its a legal loophole/part of Microsoft's rule where if something is backwards compatible on the Xbox One they want it digitally downloadable on the store. Too Human is backwards compatible, so it needs to be on the store, but they cant charge money for it so it goes up free. Which is the only fair price for Too Human.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm downloading it anyway despite clearly remembering the demo years ago being trash

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
For the next 25 minutes GOG.com is giving away Toonstruck.
https://www.gog.com/game/toonstruck

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

njsykora posted:

Yeah its a legal loophole/part of Microsoft's rule where if something is backwards compatible on the Xbox One they want it digitally downloadable on the store. Too Human is backwards compatible, so it needs to be on the store, but they cant charge money for it so it goes up free. Which is the only fair price for Too Human.

The reason XBox “backward compatible” games have to be digital downloads is that the XBox systems aren’t really backward compatible. They are downloading a recompiled binary for the One from MS, and don’t use any of the assets from the disc. Part of certification for XBox platforms is submitting the final code of the game, and always has been, so MS gets the publishers to OK them recompiling the code against the new compiler and building the One version of the game. This is why no licensed games or games from dead publishers are playable on the One.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I am a proud owner of a physical copy of Too Human.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zushio posted:

I am a proud owner of a physical copy of Too Human.

I was going to be. But that was back when the release date meant it was the day they shipped to gamestop instead of the day gamestop actually had it.

Then I read the reviews and decided it was probably for the best they didn't have it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Snooze Cruise posted:

If you literally mean movement speed and stuff they've added a Turbo Mode since launch which feels great and is the only way I have any desire to play now

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/431930/

Some manner of multiplayer pinball game free for the next 48 hours.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

tight aspirations posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/431930/

Some manner of multiplayer pinball game free for the next 48 hours.

Thanks guvnor; copy claimed and it looks well worth a go! Wonder what constitutes "limited stock?"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the limitations are that it says that free to keep games do not drop trading cards.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It also probably means there’s a finite number of free keys so they don’t spend more than they’re budgeting

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Aren't generated steam keys totally free to the developer? Is it different if they're being given away through the store?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Steam doesn't just let someone make a billion keys, it's regulated

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Samuringa posted:

Steam doesn't just let someone make a billion keys, it's regulated

As I understand it, to get keys the game has to be for sale in the store - you can't put it up as unavailable and then sell your own keys. And large batches of keys have to be manually approved by Valve, so they can insure you're not trying to get around that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
There's an actual Documentation with Rules and Conditions and such.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Epic's new free game is Last Day of June which seems like an art project.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

FFT posted:

Epic's new free game is Last Day of June which seems like an art project.

It's short (3-4 hours) and quite neat and charming, but after million other heart warming/wrenching casual indie adventures it doesn't feel all that special.

I already managed to forget how it ends.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 29, 2019

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Kennel posted:

I already managed to forget how it ends.

Sadly. :smith:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
At least next week's free game is Overcooked (1).

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Kennel posted:

It's short (3-4 hours) and quite neat and charming, but after million other heart warming/wrenching casual indie adventures it doesn't feel all that special.
That's basically what I got from the short clip accompanying it, yeah

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Overcooked free on Epic - https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/overcooked/home

Your choice of two Megadrive/ Genesis classics on steam - https://www.games2gether.com/profile/me/rewards. Requires linking steam accounts and such.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Age of Wonders 3 is free until the 15th.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Torchlight 1 is free on the Epic Games Store until the 18th. After that it will be Limbo.

As someone who recently replayed Torchlight, one tip: play a Destroyer, because monsters have a pop-in effect and ranged characters suck.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mierenneuker posted:

Torchlight 1 is free on the Epic Games Store until the 18th. After that it will be Limbo.

As someone who recently replayed Torchlight, one tip: play a Destroyer, because monsters have a pop-in effect and ranged characters suck.

i remember trying to play torchlight as the necromancer/pet analogue and my minions couldn't figure out how to cross a bridge so i uninstalled

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Wrong, you play as the Alchemist and just use Ember Lance.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Play with friends and just have a nice time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Torchlight 1 doesn't have multiplayer