Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Bandai-Namco has kicked out three small freebies developed by new recruits to train them and get their feet wet before throwing them full-bodied into the AAA mines.

• NOTTOLOT - A robot-hijacking action puzzler.
  • DORONKO WANKO - Play as a muddy Pomeranian and completely ruin a nice house.
  • BOOMEROAD - A third-person platformer about grinding on rails drawn by throwing a boomerang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The Kins posted:

• DORONKO WANKO - Play as a muddy Pomeranian and completely ruin a nice house.

This one's a pretty cute 30 to 45 minutes experience.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

The Kins posted:

• BOOMEROAD - A third-person platformer about grinding sliding gallantly on rails drawn by throwing a boomerang.

Thanks for sharing, looks fun!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Bus Sim 21 available through the Amazon app.
Doesnt seem to have access to all the DLCs that Steam does but does have access to Mod.io.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Islets is up on epic

next week they're giving away the outer worlds (the mid obsidian game, not the amazing indie game) and thief 2014

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Outer Worlds is the "next-gen" re-release they previously gave away in December, which assumes you have a PS5 or equivalent or better PC and if you don't then you have to play on low settings or textures won't load. It doesn't seem like a more demanding game than Cyberpunk 2077 which I can play pretty comfortably, but what do I know

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Outer Worlds is an awesome game. If you haven't played it yet, you should get it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I wouldn't call it great but people are too harsh on it because it's from Obsidian and it looks like Fallout New Vegas. It's a lesser game than any other Obsidian RPG like Alpha Protocol or Pillars of Eternity, but it's competently made and it achieves what it tries to do. And unlike many of Obsidian's game you don't have to be prepared for numerous shortcomings that make many Obsidian games feel flawed masterpieces. It's not a masterpiece but it's not flawed. AFAIK it's the best sold Obsidian RPG after FNV.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I spent one dollar to play it on gamepass and I felt like I paid too much for it. Its just awful. The writing is terrible and the combat is boring. The only thing I liked about it is this one character https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEqtLsPdK_o.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Have to respect a game with the balls to the whataboutisms and take a Both Sides approach to rampant capital rendering a planet literally uninhabitable. Sure, the corporation is killing everyone, but they're job creators!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

aniviron posted:

Have to respect a game with the balls to the whataboutisms and take a Both Sides approach to rampant capital rendering a planet literally uninhabitable. Sure, the corporation is killing everyone, but they're job creators!

See that's the thing, it had some really blatant strawmans for capitalism, but also seemed to want the player to take the choices seriously. It didn't know what it wanted.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

John F Bennett posted:

Outer Worlds is an awesome game. If you haven't played it yet, you should get it.

Are you thinking of 'Outer Wilds' which is indeed excellent, in many people's top 10 ever, or are you thinking of 'The Outer Worlds' which is certainly an actual game with impactful real story, some characters, and presumed gameplay? Only one of them has 'The' in the title, and only one of them is exceptionally good.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the outer worlds is fine and the dlc is pretty good. settle down

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The DLC is a highlight, as per usual for Obsidian games., integrated decently into the main game and they get a bunch of slides in the ending clip show. I'd recommend saving Murder On Eridanos for the end of the game, but it has some of the best unique weapons so maybe save it for second-last and do Peril On Gorgon actually last so you can shoot up mutants with your rainbow minigun

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

2house2fly posted:

The DLC is a highlight, as per usual for Obsidian games., integrated decently into the main game and they get a bunch of slides in the ending clip show. I'd recommend saving Murder On Eridanos for the end of the game, but it has some of the best unique weapons so maybe save it for second-last and do Peril On Gorgon actually last so you can shoot up mutants with your rainbow minigun

Agreed on the DLC. I played through the game after December's giveaway, and had a decent amount of fun with it. (I did think the weapons/gunplay weren't much fun, but that's almost certainly a me problem rather than a real complaint; the game seemed to have a lot of weapons in the "wacky," "big," and/or "loud" varieties, but -- unlike what Bethesdalikes have trained me to prefer -- not much that felt good for sneaky sniper types.)

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

IShallRiseAgain posted:

See that's the thing, it had some really blatant strawmans for capitalism, but also seemed to want the player to take the choices seriously. It didn't know what it wanted.

Every planet felt like a variation of the same silly fake moral dillemma: "The evil company town run by the evil company has been shut down by a belligerent union demanding fair treatment and safer working conditions, but the belligerent union is made up of a bunch of stupid petty assholes who are faaaar too awful and ignorant to even survive the night without the evil company desperately trying to keep them alive. What DO you DO?" I don't really know, game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Also, all that is happening in the fake town of Rock Ridge from blazing saddles. None of the buildings are real.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

wizard2 posted:

Every planet felt like a variation of the same silly fake moral dillemma: "The evil company town run by the evil company has been shut down by a belligerent union demanding fair treatment and safer working conditions, but the belligerent union is made up of a bunch of stupid petty assholes who are faaaar too awful and ignorant to even survive the night without the evil company desperately trying to keep them alive. What DO you DO?" I don't really know, game.

The game really beats you over the head with communism being the only correct choice. Siding with the corporations literally leads to humanity going extinct. I don't know what game you played.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

rodbeard posted:

The game really beats you over the head with communism being the only correct choice. Siding with the corporations literally leads to humanity going extinct. I don't know what game you played.

My bad. I guess I didnt get as far into it as you. :tipshat:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Teledahn posted:

Are you thinking of 'Outer Wilds' which is indeed excellent, in many people's top 10 ever, or are you thinking of 'The Outer Worlds' which is certainly an actual game with impactful real story, some characters, and presumed gameplay? Only one of them has 'The' in the title, and only one of them is exceptionally good.

No, I didn't like Outer Wilds at all and never understood why people like it so much. Obsidian's game is more my thing.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

John F Bennett posted:

No, I didn't like Outer Wilds at all and never understood why people like it so much. Obsidian's game is more my thing.

I wasn't a fan either. I played it for about an hour and a half and uninstalled. But because goons raved about it so much I've put it back on and will give it another go.

\/ Ah. If I'd have known it was on a timer I wouldn't have bought it. I'm not smart enough to be rushed to solve puzzles.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 29, 2024

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It's a puzzle on a timer and with outstanding vibes. Also it's fun to be able to jump around a solar system so quickly.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Gromit posted:

I wasn't a fan either. I played it for about an hour and a half and uninstalled. But because goons raved about it so much I've put it back on and will give it another go.

\/ Ah. If I'd have known it was on a timer I wouldn't have bought it. I'm not smart enough to be rushed to solve puzzles.

The timer doesn't matter.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

From what I've seen, the time loop matters even less in Outer Wilds than it does in Majora's Mask, because the loop occurs automatically in OW, whereas in MM you could theoretically get a game over if you ran out of time, difficult as that would be.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It won't game over you but it really depends on how much you enjoy repeating the same bits over and over getting a little farther each time until you finally solve the puzzle

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Gromit posted:

I had a similar experience, bounced the first time as it felt too much like a "flight game" where mastering the controls was the goal, v navigating more and more complex paths... Which isn't my jam.

But after hearing so many people say it was great, I watched/read someone's explanation that it's a narrative/puzzle/"vibes" game. I just need a bit more time to be familiar with the controls and get more at ease moving quickly through the solar system and on 2nd try I enjoyed it a lot. The flight is still a bit frustrating, but knowing there's the time loop I felt more confident yeeting myself around the solar system.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I consider Outer Wilds (and the DLC) to be the best game ever made. Take notes, follow the ship’s built in log to see where you might be missing information, and if you’re stumped at one location, stop bashing your head against it and try going somewhere else on the next loop.

It’s such an incredibly well put together game and the narrative could be life-changing for some players. The DLC’s story is really emotional to me.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Hammerting Free on GOG 'till 04/04/2024 09:59 EEST.
Never heard of this game before.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Len posted:

It won't game over you but it really depends on how much you enjoy repeating the same bits over and over getting a little farther each time until you finally solve the puzzle

Also you have to have the tolerance to repeat a 10-15 minute long sequence of actions over and over and not getting any farther when you miss a platforming jump or get your timing slightly off and ruins the run.

I don’t, which is why I don’t like Outer Wilds. Finished it, uninstalled it, and will probably never pick up the DLC or ever play it again. I definitely get the appeal of game but it’s not for everyone.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Also you have to have the tolerance to repeat a 10-15 minute long sequence of actions over and over and not getting any farther when you miss a platforming jump or get your timing slightly off and ruins the run.

I don’t, which is why I don’t like Outer Wilds. Finished it, uninstalled it, and will probably never pick up the DLC or ever play it again. I definitely get the appeal of game but it’s not for everyone.

This, except I got to my fifth or so reboot and just quit, especially due to the piloting controls. It definitely would've benefited from a mechanic where things stay solved across reboots, or have that used more liberally if it was used.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

There were moments where I would miss jumps or whatever, but there’s one mechanic that means you don’t need to waste “10-15 mins” to get back. Since the experience is mostly discovering stuff on your own, I’ll spoil tag it:

Waiting at a campfire can speed up time if you need something to happen at minute 15, for instance. Combine that with being able to “meditate” to die, it can take only several minutes to get back after a loop. Everything in the system is really quick to get back to from the starting planet anyway. You also learn about secret entrances and exits that can save time when you return to certain areas.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Content Warning, a blend of Lethal Company and Phasmophobia where you and your friends film scary stuff to get Youtube ad revenue, is free today.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Len posted:

The game doesn't really have this though.
The way the game is set up you can go almost anywhere right off the bat at the start of a time loop if you already know where to find it. The challenge in exploring is mostly in figuring out what points of interest even exist and how to get to them, not re-solving platforming or puzzle challenges.

There are a few exceptions related to JazzFlight's spoiler though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Gun Jam posted:

Hammerting Free on GOG 'till 04/04/2024 09:59 EEST.
Never heard of this game before.

I'm seeing this for $2.50, not free.

edit: the giveaway ended on April 1st.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

April fool

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

April fool

Got my rear end.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Franchescanado posted:

Got my rear end.

Well, if it helps, it was a bad game anyway.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Saoshyant posted:

Well, if it helps, it was a bad game anyway.

but... its free...

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Free games are for collecting, not for playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Sometimes you even play them.