Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Stickman posted:

Pretty decent mix in the new Twitch Prime free games for August (requires Twitch Prime / Amazon Prime subscription, though):

Pumped BMX Pro
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
Mable & The Wood
Automachef

Epic Games Store free games through August 9th:

Alan Wake
For Honor

I've already got it on GOG and pretty much nothing will convince me to get the Epic Launcher but I just want to say that Alan Wake is cool and good.
The gameplay is a big smeh overall but the storyline is Stephen King inspired in the best possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

I never have time for these but always love the concept, so I've picked it up.
Thanks for the heads up!

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Haven't played any of these(either the Arkham or Lego series), is one any better than another for a starting point? I know some series have a clunker or are rehashed from one game to the next so it might make sense to start in the middle or most recent

VV Awesome, thanks!

I've played both Asylum and City, and I think you should 100% start with Asylum.
I found it a tighter, better-designed experience, and story-wise it's also the start point. So why not start there?

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Spalec posted:

Does Arkham Knight actually work on PC yet? It was so bad at launch it was pulled from sale for months.

Can't vouch for it myself but as some cool guy posted earlier in this very thread:

Coolguye posted:

For those of you that remember Arkham Knight's lovely launch, a lot of problems have been fixed with it and ultimately the problem even at launch was solved with having a metric assload of RAM, which a lot more people have these days than they did back in the day.

EGS still blows ballsack in my eyes but if you're hopping in then AK SHOULD(tm) work better for you today than it did in yesteryear.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless
Freespace / Freespace 2 is THE BEST space combat sim I've ever played. It doesn't matter what modern space combat sims I play, this one is better and the only one I keep getting the itch to come back to again and again.

Furthermore, Freespace 2 SCP (the source code project) is absolutely amazing.
There is no reason at all to play the game unmodded, other than that the SCP installer sometimes gets out of date and thus requires somewhat annoying manual installing. It's absolutely worth the time to do even that.
https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Manually_Installing_FreeSpace_2_Open

OgNar posted:

While I played and finished Freespace 2 at least twice, I probably played and finished Freespace 1 at least 10 times.
I always thought it was a much better game, though not as pretty. And the sense of scale hit me a lot more in 1.
Something about flight inside those nebulas kinda irritated me though.

I agree to some extent - the story in Freespace 1 felt tighter, which is probably why I liked it better...
...but the thing is, with Freespace 2 SCP includes a mod that ports the entire Freespace 1 campaign into the Freespace 2 engine, called FSOpen.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87537.0
All the awesomeness of the original Freespace, but with improved graphics. You don't even need to own Freespace 1 for this.

And if you're interested in the add-on pack to Freespace 1, I'd recommend Silent Threat Reborn.
https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Silent_Threat:_Reborn
Unlike FSOpen (which is basically identical story and gameplay wise to Freespace 1), this one reworks the original Silent Threat expansion gameplay and plot to make it a lot more coherent and enjoyable. It definitely succeeds, it's better than the original in every way.

site posted:

ah, bummer. well saves me a download anyways. thanks

Honestly, if you like space games, I'd recommend trying this game, starting with FSOpen.
The storyline is linear, but the game is really, really good.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Theswarms posted:

Dawn of War 2's single player campaign is about controlling 4 dudes in a very coh like game, since it's by the same guys.

Can also be played in co-op with you each controlling 2 each as well.

It's also quite good - despite Dawn of War 2 generally feeling 'off' for me after Dawn of War 1, I still replayed the campaign more than once and occasionally get the itch to play it again.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Cojawfee posted:

Yes. I heard about something about Star Wars happening in Fortnite but never really thought anything of it at the time. Then I went to see the movie and it said something in the opening crawl that was totally out of left field and it pretty much drove the plot of the movie. It was dumb as hell. Turns out it was referencing something that happened in Fortnite.

Wonder how much epic/tencent bribed Disney for that one?

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Zesty posted:

It's been 8 years. I'm going to steam achievement manager them away and erase the cloud save.

I got the stupid Crystal Cruiser the 'proper' way (before they added the ship that starts with a Crystal crew member in the enhanced edition)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Verviticus posted:

im pretty sure star control 2 cost money at some point and now (and for a few years lol) you can get the best version of the game for free and it runs like a dream. one of the best games ever made

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Star Control 2 is one of the best games I ever played, and I say that having played it a considerable number of years after it was first released.

I should mention that the best (and still completely free) version of this game is the Megamod: http://megamod.serosis.net/

It includes HD art and a whole bunch of other options and improvements without altering the main game (unless you set the options to do so).

It also includes three re-voice mods that I created, all of which include lines from the text-only PC version that were omitted from the Ur-Quan Masters voiced version... and which contain crucial information for finishing the game that otherwise isn't available anywhere else.

For example, you can hear my version of the Metachron dialogue (missing from basic Ur-Quan Masters release) here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12CxK3KG0t0