Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Farquar posted:

As somebody who has never played Dark Souls, what does this mean? How is this similar?

In the past few years I've seen many games described as "like Dark Souls" but they all seems to be different genres, so I can't figure out what what they have in common.
Soulsborne games generally have:

Infrequent checkpoints
High difficulty
Corpse runs (if you die, you have to go back to where you died to recover your xp/gold)
Restricted self-healing
Twitchy combat with a dodge/dash + active parry
Weapons with different move sets
RPG advancement
Levels you revisit later with shortcuts

So Hollow Knight is a Soulsborne game, although it only has one weapon and doesn't really have character levels.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

Are the Metro games Fallout-y or is it more of a pure FPS game with a really great atmosphere?

Not that I really have much at stake with it being free and all...
It's a pure FPS with great atmosphere. All human enemies die in one headshot, maybe two if they have a helmet. 2033 & Last Light have straight-forward linear level design and in the event you're ever confused you can pull up your compass and it'll point towards your next waypoint. Only problem is they always have a "good ending" that requires you spare at least one Nazi, and, well, I ain't doing that.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

wait what? no quicksave or anything?
The Metro series frequently auto saves and has a chapter/mission select feature, but does not have manual saves. Chapters before Exodus are mostly less than 10 minutes long.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

edit: wrong thread

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 19, 2021

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Yeah... yeah, it's definitely that thing you said. Makes perfect sense.

Ah, there's an actual OMD3 coming out. Which is why 2 is free to play at the moment. Wishlisted.
OMD3 was released as a Stadia exclusive last July and the one-year exclusivity period is ending. If you sign up for a Stadia Pro trial you can claim and start playing OMD3 immediately with all of the usual caveats about Stadia and the power of the clown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Zereth posted:

I used to very consitently have that problem with GOG, some banks seem to think "Gaming" always means gambling.

Waffleman_ posted:

I tried to buy a game off of Fanatical and I had to call my bank to tell them my card hadn't been stolen
Once a carder has a stolen credit card number they usually make a small purchase to verify that the card works before they start buying clothes and hoverboards, e.g. when my card info was stolen they first ordered a soda through Steak 'n Shake's app then followed it up up with a $600 online order from Old Navy. An unexplained $0.99 iTunes purchase used to be a blaring siren that said you got honked and were about to get cleaned out, but I think Apple has beefed up measures on their end so carders don't use them anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if carders were now testing cards by buying Steam keys from Fanatical (and then reselling the keys on G2A) so often that many banks just automatically lock your account the first time you buy from Fanatical.