Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

Jackbox is an amazing party game.

Shame I've moved away from the group I usually play it with

If you've got a halfway decent connection, you can use Discord's group chat (not a server) to stream the game screen to everyone while you play. It's what I typically do with my group of friends. There's latency, but it's not a big deal. Especially if you turn on the settings for more generous timers.

Can't really play Fakin' It though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Do you remember when the free games thread had posts about games that were now free? Pepperidge farm remembers ;)

Heh, bet you have a cluttered desktop too old timer.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Torchlight 1 is free on the Epic Games Store until the 18th. After that it will be Limbo.

As someone who recently replayed Torchlight, one tip: play a Destroyer, because monsters have a pop-in effect and ranged characters suck.

Wrong, you play as the Alchemist and just use Ember Lance.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Torchlight 1 doesn't have multiplayer

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

oh dope posted:

It's a good looking game that works just fine mechanically, and I'm gonna try it again, but I'm bouncing hard off of it. Maybe I skipped something, or I'm just bad, but it seems like the difficulty curve is way to steep. I can't get past the first fight in the first, main non tutorial mission. And the world building comes across as lazy. You control a "Stalker", you hunt "Ghouls" in "The Zone", you find things made by "The Ancients", your main base is "The Ark", it's a bunch of placeholder labels.

The trick is to not treat it like X-Com and take it on its own terms. You need to do everything you can to off as many enemies as possible before you get to the main fight. Get three stealth weapons and get them upgraded ASAP. Dux and Selma start with one each, there's another in the side area right after you meet Selma, and you're not going to get better stealth weapons than the ones you get early. If you need to down some one who has more health that you can burn through in one stealth round, you can use a stun ability (like Bormin's Hog Rush) to keep them from alerting anyone on their turn to give you more time.

In a big firefight enemy control is basically the name of the game. Stuns, snares, and smoke grenades are all super important. Feel free to upgrade your main firefight weapons to level 1, but save level 2 for the obvious endgame high tech guns.

Also I think that's just the terminology of the original 80s P&P game. Roadside Picnic was influential.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 30, 2019

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
gently caress it why not.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

If this includes Origins or Blackgate, be aware that:

Arkham Origins was handled by a third party devteam who a) didn't know the tools well and b) had horrible mandated reworking of their entire game and c) were apparently pretty incompetent, so the game is much rougher with severe design oversights. Check the beforeiplay page for that one.

Arkham Blackgate is a barely functional PC port of a PSP game that was garbage even by the standards of the PSP.

The other Arkham games aren't flawless, but they're very well-made and influential design-wise, especially the first two.

Origins and Blackgate aren't in that collection. Which is probably for the best with Origins, since it's pretty much just Arkham City but with mostly D-listers. It does have the most sympathetic version of Arkham Riddler though it still treats him as exactly evil.

I haven't/may never finish it, so I'm sure there's some evil twist I haven't seen but Origins Riddler just wants to expose GCPD corruption and Batman hates it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

FFT posted:

Is The Escapists anything more or better than what Prison Architect has to offer for that game mode? The trailer suggests storage of items for use for later (and I don't recall Prison Architect having a grappling hook). Its initial release was noticeably after the semi-public alpha for PA and seems a bit simpler and like a game mode that was demanded by the testers of PA which did eventually came out but not quite as quickly as a developer I've never heard of put out a prison escape game.

Yeah, it's a lot more expansive. There's crafting, a bunch of viable options for escape, basic favor mechanics with individual prisoners, and a bunch of other stuff. You don't just grab an axe to pop the first guard you see with a shotgun and kill everyone else with that. Also it has its own prison editor for custom maps.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 13, 2019

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Len posted:

World of Horror is on Gamepass and it's a neat little early access cosmic/eastern horror mashup. The art is styled off Junji Ito. Itbfeels pretty complete but I'm hoping as it needs full release you get more interaction between things

As a headsup, the save system isn't completely implemented yet and reloading a save will wipe your character's perks and allies. It's not a super big deal though since runs tend to go between 20-60 minutes. Maybe more if it's your first.

Also some of the storylines just abruptly end. Although SOMETHING EVIL might have been the last unfinished one, and that got patched in recently.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 8, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
https://twitter.com/glanderco/status/1238900364965003269
https://itch.io/s/28588/cozy-quarantine

ART SQOOL is currently free on itchi.io until some time Monday. Thanks, Coronavirus!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

spaceblancmange posted:

Is the blood dlc worth it for Shogun 2? A bit of gore is something I always felt Total War games were missing. Ordinarily I'd never pay for DLC that really should be free or in the base game but seeing as they gave it away I'll bite if it is worthwhile.

Do you like zooming in to battles, and do you wish there were more lost limbs and blood fountains? If yes, yes. If no, no. And I do wanna emphasize, blood fountains. Big stupid almost samurai film levels of blood. I will say that I never thought the textures for soldiers covered in blood looked any good, but you can just look on the store page and judge that for yourself.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

OgNar posted:

I will likely DL it and give it a try, if only as single player.
Though I doubt that will be as interesting.

I just find multi pvp games not as fun anymore.
But still want to play games like this and Conan.

You can play it multiplayer without PvP enabled. And you really should, getting your poo poo destroyed while you're offline just isn't interesting for anyone and the game really benefits from coordinating with friends. Don't forget to also tweak the various settings if the game feels too grindy.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Stickman posted:

They've also added some... other games :cripes:

You can't say that and not post that it's an early 2000s Newgrounds tier hentai block slider game

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
The base isn't free, but there is a tiny little free baby mode (Learn To Play edition) with one villain, one location, and four of the heroes (without any of their variants I think).

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Torchlight 2 is fine, but not particularly great or exciting or even very tough. If Torchlight 3 stays the course though then Torchlight 2 might be the last decent Torchlight, so there's that.

But Path of Exile already exists and is already free, so eh.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
i will end you for your sacrilege

the defining traits of a roguelike are: ancient runes being used to simulate graphics, a day night cycle with four simultaneous days, and the ability to transform walls into bananas so i can eat them

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I think you mean the sequel to Dad of Boruto is Son of Naruto.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

repiv posted:

Shadowrun Collection

As a headsup to anyone looking to jump into the Shadowrun Collection, the three games have no connection to each other. Dragonfall and Hong Kong are both really good, Returns is mechanically alright but the story is weak, and Hong Kong's bonus campaign is bad.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

revtoiletduck posted:

Are these the ones that are like a cyberpunk XCOM?

Yeah.

edit: Also to be 100% clear, I meant no storyline connections so feel free to jump into any of the three in any order. That being said they do get mechanically better with each successive campaign, like companions in Returns being basically static whereas in Dragonfall you can customize them as you progress, so if that matters I guess go in release order.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 27, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Combat might not be as deep as XCom, but XCom doesn't have a mission where you're tasked to vandalize some corporate office to gently caress up its feng shui.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

site posted:

The shadowrun games loving own, but if you've never played them I recommend looking up how to port the shadowrun returns campaign to dragonfalls engine. Less buggy, has some changes to gameplay that will keep it in line with dragonfall and Hong Kong

This is apparently how to do it? I didn't know that was a thing you could do, but I guess it makes sense. Still the weakest of the three.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It's Cave Story+, an updated version with some new graphics and a few extra modes. Also Nicalis has been trying to kill all the free versions of the original Cave Story so y'know, at this point it might be the easiest way to get it for free now.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, Nicalis is the company that controls the rights now but they didn't make the original Cave Story. The actual dev, Pixel, is doing other poo poo.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, here's an article and they're just targeting a fan remake of the original game by arguing it's using the original's source code. So my bad on that one.

As for whether or not Nicalis scammed the rights, I don't think anyone really knows all the details other than Pixel works with Playism now while the IP stays with Nicalis. And that the CEO is a prick. Wind Fortress, if that's the level you're referring to, has been in since 2011 I think. Pretty sure it was part of the initial release. Pixel also wasn't involved in the development of Cave Story 3D I don't think.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 4, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Discussion for another place, but some people don't care about creators and artists etc personal lives

They probably wouldn't be posting about how much they don't care if they actually didn't. Brigador's dude getting exposed was high profile enough that people have heard about it, and if that spoils the game for them then that's fine.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

No one was judging you or the other person for downloading the video game. poo poo I grabbed it. No one said it made you a better or worse of a person for grabbing a free game. But if people are having a perfectly reasonable conversation about the developers responsible for a game, yeah you're being a dick if you just run in and post how you don't care and why do people care I don't care so why do they care. It's also very obvious that the people who jump to post stuff like that actually do care quite a bit.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 22, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

aniviron posted:

I don't want to engage with this too heavily because it's personal, but the Brigador poo poo has been blown drastically out of proportion. Gauss, the dev in question and a goon, said some lovely things- I don't think this comes as much of a surprise. People in this thread calling him a literal nazi are just looking for someone to smear, though. The Brigador server that he helped found and run has always been a place of kindness, inclusiveness, and tolerance. This is not how a nazi manages a community, and I think that should speak for itself.

You know what I actually decided to look up his comments because of this post, and nah the dude that said "the chinese virus is unravelling western civilization" (edit: content warning loving boy this poo poo sucks) is probably exactly as alt-right as everyone's pegging them as. Brigador's got more than one dev, but the dude's a lovely transphobic alt-right gently caress. Running a community discord for your video game that you sell for money doesn't erase that. And for some people this poo poo is 100% a deal breaker. Even for a free game.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 23, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
https://store.steampowered.com/app/917680/one_night_hot_springs/

Doki Doki's actually a pretty alright horror game.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Len posted:

I should play it sometime,I keep meaning to

Doki Doki's a slow start but once it gets going it doesn't stop going. Make sure to keep an eye on the actual game data folder when it gets moving or some extra (but totally missable) poo poo.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Torchlight 2's main issue is it's a competent diablolike - in a world where there are a ton of good diablolikes that exist and also Path of Exile is free. But you can still grab it and some friends and have an alright time for however long until you get bored.

Also I guess it's second issue is retreading Diablo 2 but being worse. Then again I haven't played D2 in years so I could be misremembering how good that game was.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 30, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Basically. There's some gesturing towards the idea dinos need different arrangements and there's a few ways you can accidentally set yourself up for total failure, but once you get past that honestly pretty minor hump (don't make dinos sad, don't put carnivores with your herbivores, don't leave doors open) you're mostly just waiting on timers - money or digs or research. Which is a shame. Genetic engineering and cascading failures are neat concepts that the game just doesn't do enough with.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
this truly is the dark souls of Free Games (that used to not be free) thread pages

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, Shadowrun Returns/Dead Man's Switch is alright but completely skippable. There's also a way to import it's campaign into Dragonfall's engine if you end up wanting to play it (if it's not already set up I dunno).

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Not in any story sense, and I don't think the other two campaigns are too hard to pick up as to require playing DMS. At least not all the way through. edit: Plus hacking changes a bunch between campaigns anyways so DMS isn't that helpful for that.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 25, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
e: nm, this is just dumb

TGLT fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 19, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
There's not a lot of games that are like it (that have survived) but it's also developed by people who don't really understand what makes it work and also move extremely slowly when fixing or changing anything. It's fine but it can get frustrating, especially as you get better and see the flaws that have been there for years. Also the fact they're only giving the base game away is telling, because if you wanna pick up all the meta perks it's either buy the DLC or wait for the in game store to roll over to it.

If you wanna play killer, in terms of the free killers Huntress and Nurse are high tier and Hillbilly's alright. Wraith's a solid starter choice, but Leatherface (who is DLC) is better still.

As for the presentation, yeah that's the poo poo you can get away with when you have no real competition.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 4, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
tbf I think most people who think of Shenmue 3 want to die a little

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, it's definitely been up before. Also it's a surprisingly good third person shooter interpretation of Dark Souls. Definitely worth a playthrough, especially if you can find two friends.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah Jurassic World Evolution 2 just came out for some reason, might as well give away Jurassic World Evolution 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It's a fine game! It's not great, but it was certainly for it's time a solid interpretation of the Souls formula. The character aesthetic is early 2000s Newgrounds but it works fine, outside of the player character whose face looks terrible. Also sometimes the foreground and desaturation makes it hard to spot enemies/traps.

It also follows the true Souls tradition of a first boss that is supposed to kill you but will reward you for beating them.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 30, 2021